48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by MJair

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by DecemberLove

the equation in the title is subjective when inputting into a calculator.
Since ti's don't have the actual division symbol it's easy to mistake 48/2 as one term and 9+3 as a second, yet the title of the thread is written as 2(9+3) being one term and thats when PEMDAS comes into play.

It's not a matter of which answer is right, it's a matter of how one perceives the equation and the answer to the equation in the title is 2
That's why I'm saying it was ambiguously, poorly, or lazily written. This could all have been cleared up if it was written:

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

We're all getting trolled.
It doesn't have to be written as "48/2*(3+9)" because you should automatically know that the 2 is multiplying whatever is inside the parenthesis. If you add the extra brackets then you're just changing the whole equation. The answer to the OG equation is 288.

wrong.  If you go by that logic, then 2 x (whatever's in parenthesis which is 12) = 24
48 divided by 24 is still 2

IF 2(3+9) is one term.  That's why it's better to either write it as 48/2*(3+9) or 48/[2(3+9)] to specify

48/2*(3+9) ---> 48/2 is one term and (3+9) is another

48/[2(3+9)] ---> 48 is one term and 2(3+9) is another

...again, it's a troll question 

the equation in the title is subjective when inputting into a calculator.
Since ti's don't have the actual division symbol it's easy to mistake 48/2 as one term and 9+3 as a second, yet the title of the thread is written as 2(9+3) being one term and thats when PEMDAS comes into play.

It's not a matter of which answer is right, it's a matter of how one perceives the equation and the answer to the equation in the title is 2
That's why I'm saying it was ambiguously, poorly, or lazily written. This could all have been cleared up if it was written:

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

It doesn't have to be written as "48/2*(3+9)" because you should automatically know that the 2 is multiplying whatever is inside the parenthesis. If you add the extra brackets then you're just changing the whole equation. The answer to the OG equation is 288.

wrong.  If you go by that logic, then 2 x (whatever's in parenthesis which is 12) = 24

IF 2(3+9) is one term.  That's why it's better to either write it as 48/2*(3+9) or 48/[2(3+9)] to specify

ATTENTION PLEASE. Read the below before posting any other bull.

ALRIGHT. I've figured out why, without a doubt, 2 is the right answer.

The argument about this problem has gone many places, but I think one of the places where it went wrong was with HoldenMichael (no offense). After watching some pr0n, I thought again about this problem with a clear head, and the answer is apparent.

Here, HoldenMichael tells us why ÷ and / are not the same thing:

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

bruce negro wrote:
I refute your refutation on the grounds that both signs actually hold the same mathematical meaning. They are actually interchangeable in a way.

No, 48÷2 is spoken as 48 divided by 2.
48/2 is spoken as 48 halves.

Just because both 48 halves are 2 wholes and 48 divided by 2 equals 2 doesn't mean that the symbols for division and fraction are interchangeable in an equation.  One is the addition of fractions of a whole ("I have 48 halves.") and the other is the division of a dividend (48) by a divisor (2; "I took away half of my 48.").

I've only read the first page and the last two pages so the sample size is small, but I have yet to read an opinion that would dissuade me from my belief that:

48÷2=48/2

48÷2(9+3)≠48/2(9+3)

After my immediate refutation, I reconsidered this and thought he was right. HOWEVER, I realized soon afterwards that they are indeed the same, and here is why:

The problem states: 48÷2(9+3). We already proved that through distribution, this problem can be written as 48÷((2*9)+(2*3)). This then simplifies to 48÷(18+6), which simplifies to 48÷(24), which is equal to 2.

NOW, we have the issue of, "What if you interpret this as a fraction?" Above, HoldenMichael writes 48/2, and that makes sense.... but the real problem is that Holden forgets to write the rest of the problem in the denominator. There is nothing that separates the (9+3) from being in the denominator along with the 2. So in reality, if one would look at the ÷ as a / sign, the problem would look like this:

----
2(9+3)

This would then simplify to

----
2(12)

Then

----
(24)

Which is equal to

We have now proven that the answer is 2, 2 different ways solidly. We have also given valid reasons and proof as to why calculators and other mathematical engines are unreliable. These methods also are not based on whether Multiplication goes before Division, which I think we are all now in consensus that it doesn't. If you would like to argue further, please disprove both of these methods.

The argument about this problem has gone many places, but I think one of the places where it went wrong was with HoldenMichael (no offense). After watching some pr0n, I thought again about this problem with a clear head, and the answer is apparent.

bruce negro wrote:
I refute your refutation on the grounds that both signs actually hold the same mathematical meaning. They are actually interchangeable in a way.

Just because both 48 halves are 2 wholes and 48 divided by 2 equals 2 doesn't mean that the symbols for division and fraction are interchangeable in an equation.  One is the addition of fractions of a whole ("I have 48 halves.") and the other is the division of a dividend (48) by a divisor (2; "I took away half of my 48.").

I've only read the first page and the last two pages so the sample size is small, but I have yet to read an opinion that would dissuade me from my belief that:

48÷2=48/2

48÷2(9+3)≠48/2(9+3)

After my immediate refutation, I reconsidered this and thought he was right. HOWEVER, I realized soon afterwards that they are indeed the same, and here is why:

The problem states: 48÷2(9+3). We already proved that through distribution, this problem can be written as 48÷((2*9)+(2*3)). This then simplifies to 48÷(18+6), which simplifies to 48÷(24), which is equal to 2.

NOW, we have the issue of, "What if you interpret this as a fraction?" Above, HoldenMichael writes 48/2, and that makes sense.... but the real problem is that Holden forgets to write the rest of the problem in the denominator. There is nothing that separates the (9+3) from being in the denominator along with the 2. So in reality, if one would look at the ÷ as a / sign, the problem would look like this:

----
2(9+3)

----
2(12)

Then

----
(24)

Which is equal to

We have now proven that the answer is 2, 2 different ways solidly. We have also given valid reasons and proof as to why calculators and other mathematical engines are unreliable. These methods also are not based on whether Multiplication goes before Division, which I think we are all now in consensus that it doesn't. If you would like to argue further, please disprove both of these methods.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

I don't understand how the solution to 48÷2(9+3) can be anything other than 2.

Brackets don't need to be added to 2(9+3) to achieve the answer of 2 without any dispute because:

2(9+3) counts as a single term.
Parentheses do need to be added around 48÷2 [(48÷2)(9+3)] in order to achieve the answer of 288.

what makes the problem ambiguous is that parentheses need to be added to BOTH equations if you want to do it like that

48 / ((2*9)+(2*3))

you can add parentheses to both of em or neither of them

as for your single term
what if i want to write:

48 / (2)(9+3) OR
48/ (1*2)(9+3) OR
48/ (0+2)(9+3)

im starting to think its ambiguous

A way to get 48/2(9+3)=2 without viewing "/" as a symbol for division is by adding brackets around "2(9+3)" so it would read:
48/[2(9+3)]=2

Your examples are improperly written in one case (adding parentheses around "2" in the first example) and differentiated from the equation that many people are using incorrectly [48/2(9+3)] to represent the original equation [48÷2(9+3)] by the addition of spaces around the "/" symbol.

If I see the equations with spaces around the "/" symbol, I'm going to assume that you've written a fraction where the numerator is "48" and the denominator is "(2)(9+3)," "(1*2)(9+3)," or "(0+2)(9+3)."  In those cases, yes, it's ambiguous.  In the case of:

48/2(9+3)

I see no ambiguity because I view "/" only as a symbol representing a fraction (48 halves) and I don't view "2(9+3)" as a single term because of the lack of brackets around it.

The ambiguity, if it exists and it only exists in the that equation, lies in the "/" symbol, not the parentheses.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

I don't understand how the solution to 48÷2(9+3) can be anything other than 2.

Brackets don't need to be added to 2(9+3) to achieve the answer of 2 without any dispute because:

Parentheses do need to be added around 48÷2 [(48÷2)(9+3)] in order to achieve the answer of 288.

what makes the problem ambiguous is that parentheses need to be added to BOTH equations if you want to do it like that

48 / ((2*9)+(2*3))

you can add parentheses to both of em or neither of them

as for your single term
what if i want to write:

48 / (2)(9+3) OR
48/ (1*2)(9+3) OR
48/ (0+2)(9+3)

im starting to think its ambiguous

A way to get 48/2(9+3)=2 without viewing "/" as a symbol for division is by adding brackets around "2(9+3)" so it would read:
48/[2(9+3)]=2

Your examples are improperly written in one case (adding parentheses around "2" in the first example) and differentiated from the equation that many people are using incorrectly [48/2(9+3)] to represent the original equation [48÷2(9+3)] by the addition of spaces around the "/" symbol.

If I see the equations with spaces around the "/" symbol, I'm going to assume that you've written a fraction where the numerator is "48" and the denominator is "(2)(9+3)," "(1*2)(9+3)," or "(0+2)(9+3)."  In those cases, yes, it's ambiguous.  In the case of:

48/2(9+3)

I see no ambiguity because I view "/" only as a symbol representing a fraction (48 halves) and I don't view "2(9+3)" as a single term because of the lack of brackets around it.

The ambiguity, if it exists and it only exists in the that equation, lies in the "/" symbol, not the parentheses.

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

Question is why are you multiplying before you divide when the division sign comes before the multiplication sign in the equation?
Do you even know how the order of operations works?

[h3]48/2*(3+9)[/h3]

48/2*(12)  Since we've solved what's INSIDE of the parenthesis we move onto the next step skipping exponents since their are none. 

24*(12) Since division and multiplication are interchangeable you solve the problem left to right now which means you divide first.

=288 /Thread

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

Question is why are you multiplying before you divide when the division sign comes before the multiplication sign in the equation?

[h3]48/2*(3+9)[/h3]

48/2*(12)  Since we've solved what's INSIDE of the parenthesis we move onto the next step skipping exponents since their are none. 

24*(12) Since division and multiplication are interchangeable you solve the problem left to right now which means you divide first.

=288 /Thread

[h3]48/2*(3+9)[/h3]

=288
See the way it's written above. Mathematical questions can be solved many different ways, and each way should yield the right answer. If you look at the entire thing as a fraction, it makes more sense. Because the division sign comes before the 2(9+3), then that would be in the denominator, while the 48 would be in the numerator. Solving from there is easy. Check it out above.

[h3]48/2*(3+9)[/h3]

=288
See the way it's written above. Mathematical questions can be solved many different ways, and each way should yield the right answer. If you look at the entire thing as a fraction, it makes more sense. Because the division sign comes before the 2(9+3), then that would be in the denominator, while the 48 would be in the numerator. Solving from there is easy. Check it out above.

[h3]48/2*(3+9)[/h3]

=288 /Thread

I know exactly how order of operations work.

I believe you don't know what terms are.  From my perspective 2(9+3) is ONE number and so I have to work that out.  Once I do that it comes out to 12.  Then I could go from left to right fashion and safely say that 48/24=2

[h3]48/2*(3+9)[/h3]

=288 /Thread

I know exactly how order of operations work.

I believe you don't know what terms are.  From my perspective 2(9+3) is ONE number and so I have to work that out.  Once I do that it comes out to 12.  Then I could go from left to right fashion and safely say that 48/24=2

The pertinent question for your teacher or math professor is whether or not they view "/" as a symbol for fraction or division.

If the answer is, "either/or," then the answer to the equation as many people have written it [48/2(9+3)] can be either 288 or 2.

If the answer is, "[/i]only[/i] fraction," then the only answer to the equation written as 48/2(9+3) is 288, just as the only answer to the equation written as 48÷2(9+3) is 2.

See what your saying with the / and the Ã· sign but do not think it is the issue in this topic. The biggest issue in here is that once we do (9+3)  is it just 12 or (12). If it is 48÷2x12= 288 or 48÷2(12). I was taught that the parentheses stays with the sign even after we do the problem. So I will go with 2 for the sake of how I was taught. 
ohwell.gif

The pertinent question for your teacher or math professor is whether or not they view "/" as a symbol for fraction or division.

If the answer is, "either/or," then the answer to the equation as many people have written it [48/2(9+3)] can be either 288 or 2.

If the answer is, "[/i]only[/i] fraction," then the only answer to the equation written as 48/2(9+3) is 288, just as the only answer to the equation written as 48÷2(9+3) is 2.

See what your saying with the / and the Ã· sign but do not think it is the issue in this topic. The biggest issue in here is that once we do (9+3)  is it just 12 or (12). If it is 48÷2x12= 288 or 48÷2(12). I was taught that the parentheses stays with the sign even after we do the problem. So I will go with 2 for the sake of how I was taught. 
ohwell.gif

Ok ... so how about this:
You got simple 0,5 * 10 = 5 , cool ? ok ...

In other words it's  1÷2 * 10 = 5 , right ? ...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so you can say it is for instance [/font]1÷2 * (8+2) = 5 ... yeah do the math (pun intended)

Originally Posted by Millzhouse719

ohwell.gif
Read my above post. It addresses this issue and shows how it works out to 2. In the end, the ÷ sign and the / sign mean the same thing, and I proved it above.

Ok ... so how about this:
You got simple 0,5 * 10 = 5 , cool ? ok ...

In other words it's  1÷2 * 10 = 5 , right ? ...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so you can say it is for instance [/font]1÷2 * (8+2) = 5 ... yeah do the math (pun intended)

Originally Posted by Millzhouse719

ohwell.gif
Read my above post. It addresses this issue and shows how it works out to 2. In the end, the ÷ sign and the / sign mean the same thing, and I proved it above.

bruce negro wrote:

48÷2=48/2

48÷2(9+3)≠48/2(9+3)

----
2(9+3)

----
2(12)

Then

----
(24)

Which is equal to

bruce negro wrote:

48÷2=48/2

48÷2(9+3)≠48/2(9+3)

----
2(9+3)

----
2(12)

Then

----
(24)

Which is equal to

I didn't forget to write "2(9+3)" as a whole denominator because it wasn't written as a whole denominator.

If someone wanted to make it the whole denominator, they'd have to include the brackets. We don't need to guess the intention because it's math.

The symbol for division is not used interchangeably with "/" to mean fraction. It's used only to symbolize division.

If they want to have us view "2(9+3)" as a whole denominator when using "/" as a symbol for fraction, then they have to use brackets. Otherwise, it's a fraction being multiplied with a sum.

Back
Top Bottom