48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

48÷2(9+3) =

It's asking for the quotient of dividing 48 by the product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3.

The product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3 is the same as the product of 2 and 12. Which is 24

The quotient of 48 divided by 24 is 2.
If it was askign for that the proper way to write it would be 48 ÷ (2 ( 9 + 3) ).

48÷2(9+3) =

It's asking for the quotient of dividing 48 by the product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3.

The product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3 is the same as the product of 2 and 12. Which is 24

If it was askign for that the proper way to write it would be 48 ÷ (2 ( 9 + 3) ).

People are confused in that you must break down the parenthesis as much as possible before anything. But by using the 2 to multiply the (9+3), you're breaking the rule of order. In this problem division comes before multiplication, you're no longer using the parenthesis as the main law now.

People are confused in that you must break down the parenthesis as much as possible before anything. But by using the 2 to multiply the (9+3), you're breaking the rule of order. In this problem division comes before multiplication, you're no longer using the parenthesis as the main law now.

Wouldn't the 2nd set of parenthesis be implied since the 2 is next to the original set of parenthesis? For instance if we just had an equation of

2(9+3) =

The answer to that would be 24.

All we're doing is putting that in the denominator and putting 48 in the numerator, right?

I'm trying to get my mind around it--you guys are saying we're actually looking at (48÷2)(9+3) = ?

Wouldn't the 2nd set of parenthesis be implied since the 2 is next to the original set of parenthesis? For instance if we just had an equation of

2(9+3) =

All we're doing is putting that in the denominator and putting 48 in the numerator, right?

I'm trying to get my mind around it--you guys are saying we're actually looking at (48÷2)(9+3) = ?

people really believe in their hearts that the paren's just remain for the entire problem? what the hell? lol ...

even if i wanted to entertain your thought, it would be the same thing ... there is nothing to do INSIDE the paren's once you add ...

this is something that people faarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr smarter than anyone on here decided a looooooooooooong time ago ... the answer is 288, there is no other way to "look at it" ... do people realize that? this isn't a methodological or interpretation question ... it is what it is ...

people really believe in their hearts that the paren's just remain for the entire problem? what the hell? lol ...

even if i wanted to entertain your thought, it would be the same thing ... there is nothing to do INSIDE the paren's once you add ...

this is something that people faarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr smarter than anyone on here decided a looooooooooooong time ago ... the answer is 288, there is no other way to "look at it" ... do people realize that? this isn't a methodological or interpretation question ... it is what it is ...

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

48÷2(9+3) =

Isn't it parenthesis first?
So by that formula you're breaking down the parenthesis until it is 9+3 = 12, and you still left with:

48 / 2(12).....you STILL have to get rid of the parenthesis and you're left with 48/24 = 2.

48÷2(9+3) =

So by that formula you're breaking down the parenthesis until it is 9+3 = 12, and you still left with:

48 / 2(12).....you STILL have to get rid of the parenthesis and you're left with 48/24 = 2.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

48÷2(9+3) =

Yes the equation i wrote gave you 2 but the equation i wrote is NOT the equation that we are talking about. That equation is the ONLY way you can get 2 out of the equation in this thread. The only way to get 2 as an answer is by adding parenthesis which are not there.

Originally Posted by Dips3tRydah

Correct. Those parentheses are used to say that the action inside, the addition of nine and three, is necessary to be completed first.
But once that occurs, you just use the order of operations. No one ever writes 2 x (9+3). The x is redundant. It is known that 2(9+3) is multiplication.
48/2(12) is the same thing as (48(12))/2. There are no parentheses to indicate that the whole denominator is 2(12). Just the 2 is in the denominator.
There really is no reason for the 2 people to think 288 is wrong. It is right. And the only way 2 is right is through juxtaposition or whatever, which is NOT a rule.
This problem is use to demonstrate the order of operations. If you learned this in algebra, there is no juxtaposition rule, just the order of operations.

2(9+3) =

See, you are right that 2(9+3) is 24, but you can't just do that order of operators. The 48 comes before it in the form of division with the 2 that follows. Not the 2(9+3) because it is not all in parentheses. It is 48 divided by 2. Then the answer to that, 24, times what is within the parentheses, 12. And you would get 288.

2qweavm.png

Originally Posted by Dips3tRydah

Correct. Those parentheses are used to say that the action inside, the addition of nine and three, is necessary to be completed first.
But once that occurs, you just use the order of operations. No one ever writes 2 x (9+3). The x is redundant. It is known that 2(9+3) is multiplication.
48/2(12) is the same thing as (48(12))/2. There are no parentheses to indicate that the whole denominator is 2(12). Just the 2 is in the denominator.
There really is no reason for the 2 people to think 288 is wrong. It is right. And the only way 2 is right is through juxtaposition or whatever, which is NOT a rule.
This problem is use to demonstrate the order of operations. If you learned this in algebra, there is no juxtaposition rule, just the order of operations.

2(9+3) =

See, you are right that 2(9+3) is 24, but you can't just do that order of operators. The 48 comes before it in the form of division with the 2 that follows. Not the 2(9+3) because it is not all in parentheses. It is 48 divided by 2. Then the answer to that, 24, times what is within the parentheses, 12. And you would get 288.

2qweavm.png

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

48÷2(9+3) =

Yes the equation i wrote gave you 2 but the equation i wrote is NOT the equation that we are talking about. That equation is the ONLY way you can get 2 out of the equation in this thread. The only way to get 2 as an answer is by adding parenthesis which are not there.

If you got fraction like this    2(9+3) , you got to write it like that : 48: [2(9+3)]

48           9+3                              48 x (9+3)

But if you got this 48 : 2 (9+3), the fraction will look like this:     2     x       1      , and this is              2

If you got fraction like this    2(9+3) , you got to write it like that : 48: [2(9+3)]

But if you got this 48 : 2 (9+3), the fraction will look like this:     2     x       1      , and this is              2

No one ever writes 2 x (9+3). The x is redundant. It is known that 2(9+3) is multiplication.
48/2(12) is the same thing as (48(12))/2.

If the x is redundant, then we're still agreeing that 2(9+3) = 2 x 12 = 24. How does the 12 suddenly jump to the 48 if it was originally in the denominator of the equation?

No one ever writes 2 x (9+3). The x is redundant. It is known that 2(9+3) is multiplication.

If the x is redundant, then we're still agreeing that 2(9+3) = 2 x 12 = 24. How does the 12 suddenly jump to the 48 if it was originally in the denominator of the equation?

It's 288.
edit:
Mathematical Proof:

48/2(9+3) = 48/2(9+3)                                 Reflexive Property
48/2(12)                                                       Theorem of 2nd Grade Math
48/2=24*12                                                 Well duhhh Property
24*12=288                                                  Multiplication Property

It's 288.
edit:
Mathematical Proof:

48/2(9+3) = 48/2(9+3)                                 Reflexive Property
48/2(12)                                                       Theorem of 2nd Grade Math
48/2=24*12                                                 Well duhhh Property
24*12=288                                                  Multiplication Property

THERE IS NO DENOMINATOR OR NUMERATOR. THERE IS ONLY DIVISON. If there was a denominator or numerator they would both have to be seperated in seperate parenthesis.

1 / 2 is really written as (1) / (2) if it was a fraction

3x over 3x would be written as (3x) / (3x)

THERE IS NO DENOMINATOR OR NUMERATOR. THERE IS ONLY DIVISON. If there was a denominator or numerator they would both have to be seperated in seperate parenthesis.

1 / 2 is really written as (1) / (2) if it was a fraction

3x over 3x would be written as (3x) / (3x)

Originally Posted by Bachelor frog

Damn it. I think I was just converted. Now, I feel stupid.

2(9+3) =

if it was just 2(9+3) = then yes it would be 24. But the parenthesis is now DONE. You can forget the PE in PEMDAS because now you're focused on the multiplication/division which is interchangeable like stated before. So 48/2 takes lead over 2(12). If there was no left to right rule the answer would be 2.

Originally Posted by Bachelor frog

Damn it. I think I was just converted. Now, I feel stupid.

Back
Top Bottom