5 Albums That Should Already Be Considered Classics

Whenever you hear the words ‘classic album’ what comes to mind? “Illmatic,” “Reasonable Doubt,” “Ready To Die,” “Me Against The World” …”The Chronic“? Every single one of these albums is nearing its 20 year mark…so does this mean that in the time between no other album has come close? Nothing has evolved?

I beg to differ. The rap game has changed in such a way that we have neglected to give some of the more recent masterpieces their proper due. Albums have came and changed the game and we just look at them as run of the mill, never talking about them with the aforementioned.

Just like ESPN would make arguments about 90’s NBA against today’s NBA, I’m sure many would agree that today’s rap artists have done their fair share of work to be mentioned with the greats.So here’s a few albums I feel deserve that classic tag…

Kanye West – “College Dropout”

Get Rich or Die Tryin'-50 Cent

Minstrel Show- Little Brother

Food & Liquor- Lupe Fiasco

Thug Motivation 101-Young Jeezy

View media item 338828

For me it would be:

The Game - The Documentary
Kanye West - Late Registration
50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying
Common - Be
Cam'Ron - Purple Haze

each of those albums gradually became classics to me in some way or another...over the last 10 years

*even though the album dropped before 03', honorable mention to AZ - Aziatic, that is a classic in my eyes*

Last edited:
College Dropout and Food & Liquor are the two main classics from the '00s, imo. GRODT also.

I agree with all albums listed so far, I'll add some more that are classics in my eyes;

Things Fall Apart
Diplomatic Immunity
Madvillainy
Man On the Moon 1
Hell Hath No Fury
Below The Heavens

"Deeper Than Rap"

"MBDTF" (Probably already is, so "Channel Orange")

"The 20/20 Experience"

"Life is Good"

"Kaleidoscope Dream"

Purple Haze is my fav Cam album front to back

Leave Me Alone Pt 2...piff

Last edited:
Purple Haze is definitely a classic. I need to reup on that.

Madvillainy is DEF a classic. "So nasty that it's probably somewhat of a travesty..."

"...with a goal, to have the game locked in a cage getting shocked with a pole..."

DOOM did some of his best work on there.

Last edited:
Can't stand the production on College Dropout. Didn't age well at all. Plus those horrific skits. No thanks

I agree with a lot of albums being name din this thread such as -

College Dropout
Lord Willin
Get Rich or Die Tryin
Below The Heavens
Food & Liquor
Purple Haze
Be

I'll throw in -

The Cool
In Search Of...
Late Registration
Hell Hath No Fury
& GKMC will end up being a classic

Get Rich Or Die Tryin'
The Documentary
The Eminem Show
Illmatic
The Blueprint

that list might change overtime, but it's just off the head.

Back
Top Bottom