52 Week Money Challenge vol. 2014.... Week 24 - 6/9

Not everyone is in the position to go find a higher paying job at the moment. Some people are in school and are working on getting a better paying job.

I did this last year while I was in a LPN program and it helped me manage and pay for classes and books.

What's your hustle, maybe you can help some of us out?

Here's a tip.

Make more money.

Saving is cool and all, but if you plan on making more...

You get my drift.
You must be making that Goldman Sachs money.

I'm not trying to come in on a high horse or anything, just giving advice that will actually help you get way ahead of this little chart.

Why not plan on making more money instead of planning on saving? Saving more is a residual effect of making more...

You get yourself a decent hustle and you can end up with 5 times that by the end of the year with a little more work than just making a deposit. But nobody wants to work more, right? Guess this is an easier route. Low risk/work, low reward.
Making an awful lot of assumptions there. You think everyone who participate in this challenge is content with their job and has no ambition to make more money? You think taking the 5 minutes out of their life to make a $20 deposit every week is keeping them from improving other aspect of their career and finances? And you think find a better paying job is an advice that never crossed their mind or is it something that 90% of the world population already know?

Here's a tip.

Make more money.

Saving is cool and all, but if you plan on making more...

You get my drift.
You must be making that Goldman Sachs money.

I'm not trying to come in on a high horse or anything, just giving advice that will actually help you get way ahead of this little chart.

Why not plan on making more money instead of planning on saving? Saving more is a residual effect of making more...

You get yourself a decent hustle and you can end up with 5 times that by the end of the year with a little more work than just making a deposit. But nobody wants to work more, right? Guess this is an easier route. Low risk/work, low reward.
Making an awful lot of assumptions there. You think everyone who participate in this challenge is content with their job and has no ambition to make more money? You think taking the 5 minutes out of their life to make a $20 deposit every week is keeping them from improving other aspect of their career and finances? And you think find a better paying job is an advice that never crossed their mind or is it something that 90% of the world population already know?

Making an awful lot of assumptions there. You think that I think that everyone who participate in this challenge is content with their job and has no ambition to make more money? You think that I think that taking the 5 minutes out of their life to make a $20 deposit every week is keeping them from improving other aspect of their career and finances? And you think that I think that find a better paying job is an advice that never crossed their mind or is it something that 90% of the world population already know?

"It's not about working harder, it's about working smarter." - Floyd Mayweather

And yes, I did take that out of context, but it's still true.

Edit:

And ATLien is giving horrible advice.

Last edited:
Why did you guys open up AMEX savings? I looked it up after seeing it mentioned here and it's only 0.85% APY. If I deposited 1k I'd only get $9 after a year.
I needed a savings account. No banks around my way offer high pay for saving accts and chase used to charge me for everything.

Edit:

"Make more money" is horrible advice in 2014.

I'm outta this thread.

Last edited:
i figure if i can go to a bar almost every other day after work i deposit $100 a week.

I'm outta this thread.
Yes, "make more money" in a thread about saving money and learning discipline is horrible advice.  You're completely missing the point of the thread, not to mention your "make more money" advice is so general, it's useless.  You're not enlightening people, you're just stating the obvious.  Had you said, "you guys should think about investing your money into stocks, commodities, forex, properties, etc." then that would be constructive, but you chose to belittle the significance of the challenge.

I'm outta this thread.

Yes, "make more money" in a thread about saving money and learning discipline is horrible advice.  You're completely missing the point of the thread, not to mention your "make more money" advice is so general, it's useless.  You're not enlightening people, you're just stating the obvious.  Had you said, "you guys should think about investing your money into stocks, commodities, forex, properties, etc." then that would be constructive, but you chose to belittle the significance of the challenge.

either he's trolling or he doesn't get it.

Edit:

I'm outta this thread.

It's horribly vague and pointless advice. Its so obvious it has almost as much merit as "breathe air". Advice like that is a sure fire way to show you really had nothing helpful to add.

I've read both Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad

I like Ramsey's philosophy better.  Its a safer, more reliable source.  Save money, have an emergency fund, buy used cars, avoid having to spend money on things monthly with interest rates, etc.

I've read both Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad

I like Ramsey's philosophy better.  Its a safer, more reliable source.  Save money, have an emergency fund, buy used cars, avoid having to spend money on things monthly with interest rates, etc.

I skimmed Ramsey's book and read Kiyosaki's. I find that RDPD puts u in a certain mindset that will make u want to implement Ramsey's philosophy into your life. To me they go hand in hand

Im gonna shoot for the 5x.. 6 grand at the end looks nice.. So count me in with a 5 piece in the deposit... Good luck to all the people who are gonna attempt.

Why did you guys open up AMEX savings? I looked it up after seeing it mentioned here and it's only 0.85% APY. If I deposited 1k I'd only get $9 after a year.

Have you seen interest rates lately? Now way are you earning more than .85 at your home bank. AMEX is actually a good rate. Unfortunately.

Just made my week 2 donation $102

This has been an expensive *** week so far, I'm kinda happy I'm doing this backward so I can get these higher donations out the way early though because I'd rather not wait until later & risk not making them as well

Already on Week 3.... Just put the leftover $ from going out for NYE in a shoe box... I did the this in the bank last year and was too tempted to spend it....

First week was 100.00 might just do 50 per week and half of whatever ever bonuses I get every month. Also increasing my 401k contribution so it's like 3 savings at the same time. 401k(retirement), rainy day(savings), 52 week challenge(petty cash)I was proud of myself last year. I ended saving about 1000.00 extra on top of my normal savings. The making more money point was not called for. This is about discipline.

Back
Top Bottom