72-10 Record

The '86 Celtics are the prime example of a team that could have done it, but fits the "didn't care about the regular season" argument:

1. They lost one game at home the entire season, including playoffs (56-1 overall). They'd go on road trips and just mess around a couple games at a time (for instance, Bird used to play with his off hand because he'd get so bored). They had multiple two game losing streaks because they just didn't try. They just knew they weren't losing at home. Plain and simple. So if they got home court, it wouldn't matter what their record was.

1A. By that same token, Steve Kerr said this about the '96 Bulls: there are a number of back-to-backs, especially on the road, where even good teams just pack it in for the second game, and it amounts to a handful of extra/avoidable/bad losses per season. Teams like the '86 Celtics didn't care about those games. But Jordan was so competitive that he was responsible for winning those extra games. Without Jordan caring as much, that Bulls were probably a 65 to 67 win team, just like everyone other great team.

2. The '96 Bulls had the fortune of playing at a time when the league was at its most diluted point (they won 72 games with Wennington and Longley as their centers!). The Raptors and Grizzlies were added that season, so there's six games that were basically gimmes for a team like the Bulls. Six teams had been added in eight years, and the talent pool hadn't caught up yet, especially with two brand new teams. I could also dive into lazy players and bloated contracts, but it's too easy.

2A. Remember, the '86 Celtics, even while goofing around, managed 67 wins when the league was at its highest concentration of talent. Mass expansion set in two seasons later.

Differences between a team's home record and away record is a part of the game. The 08-09 Cavs only lost one game at home as well, so what? And one of the games the Bulls lost was to the expansion Raptors. So out the window goes that argument. Fewer teams does NOT mean that the league was tougher. I simply refuse to believe that winning a championship is tougher the fewer teams there are in the league, because that ultimately means that the toughest league would be a league with two teams. And that's just stupid On the contrary, more teams just means that there is a higher possibility of a team running into another team that is significantly worse on paper, but might be a matchup problem - example 1994 Sonics Vs Nuggets and 2007 Mavs Vs Warriors. By 95-96, the league had so many sources to take players from that being "watered down" was not a problem. How many international players were there in 85-86? By 95-96 there was Divac, Petrovic (who would've been playing had he not passed away prior to 95-96), Kukoc, Sabonis, Radja, Marciulionis, all above average or even good players. And I'm sure I'm forgetting more. Basketball had grown a lot in those ten years, thanks to Bird and those Celtics (and Magic, Jordan and others of course) and because of that there were more quality players available in colleges.

They won with Wennington and Longley as their centers. AND??? They won with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman as their shooting guard, small forward and power forwards. What's your point? The main jobs of the center was to add inside presence. They obviously made up for that by having clearly the best rebounder of the game and one of the best interior defenders in Dennis Rodman. The scoring was not an issue with Jordan and Pippen averaging 50+ combined.

And since we're talking about would'ves, what about the 95-96 Bulls missing Dennis Rodman in three of their losses?

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

lakers look unbeatable and they don't even have bynum.

beating 72-10 is very possible. the lakers just gotta want it.
anyone who's a laker fan or follows the lakers knows their not going to win 70 or more games.  these are the lakers  they'll race off to a great start,  get bored and lose games to teams they have no business to which will prompt all the panic threads and they'll get it together late going into the playoffs end they'll end with around 61-62 wins. 

now i hope they can get home court advantage throughout the playoffs though but staying healthy and going into the playoffs in the best position to defend the title is what matters most to me.
Exactly... but I'm hoping they DO get 73 Ws
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

lakers look unbeatable and they don't even have bynum.

beating 72-10 is very possible. the lakers just gotta want it.
anyone who's a laker fan or follows the lakers knows their not going to win 70 or more games.  these are the lakers  they'll race off to a great start,  get bored and lose games to teams they have no business to which will prompt all the panic threads and they'll get it together late going into the playoffs end they'll end with around 61-62 wins. 

now i hope they can get home court advantage throughout the playoffs though but staying healthy and going into the playoffs in the best position to defend the title is what matters most to me.
Exactly... but I'm hoping they DO get 73 Ws
pimp.gif

As much as I hate the Lakers, I honestly think they have a legit chance to do it this year.  I really don't see anybody beating this team.  Of course, they might slack off a couple of games against weaker, non-playoff contending teams, but they are too damn deep.  With Shannon Brown even improving as well, this team is just too deep.

They have the ingredients and the coach that's been there already, so mentally, they can do it.  I hope they don't but it wouldn't shock me at all if they do.

As much as I hate the Lakers, I honestly think they have a legit chance to do it this year.  I really don't see anybody beating this team.  Of course, they might slack off a couple of games against weaker, non-playoff contending teams, but they are too damn deep.  With Shannon Brown even improving as well, this team is just too deep.

They have the ingredients and the coach that's been there already, so mentally, they can do it.  I hope they don't but it wouldn't shock me at all if they do.

i dont think the lakers are going to win 73 - but wouldnt be surpised if they did.

a few factors:

-what happened this summer on the east coast clearly motivated this squad
-theyve played together for so long now that it looks too easy for them... even their C, D game beats most squads
-bench is deeper, better, and bigger

when i watch them play this year they look so much stronger than last.... 68-14 is my prediction

i dont think the lakers are going to win 73 - but wouldnt be surpised if they did.

a few factors:

-what happened this summer on the east coast clearly motivated this squad
-theyve played together for so long now that it looks too easy for them... even their C, D game beats most squads
-bench is deeper, better, and bigger

when i watch them play this year they look so much stronger than last.... 68-14 is my prediction

the 24 hour news cycle has made everyone ******ed.

the heat ain't breaking 72, the lakers aint breaking 72, the celts ain't breaking 72

the 24 hour news cycle has made everyone ******ed.

the heat ain't breaking 72, the lakers aint breaking 72, the celts ain't breaking 72

anyone who's a laker fan or follows the lakers knows their not going to win 70 or more games. these are the lakers they'll race off to a great start, get bored and lose games to teams they have no business to which will prompt all the panic threads and they'll get it together late going into the playoffs end they'll end with around 61-62 wins.

Pretty much.

anyone who's a laker fan or follows the lakers knows their not going to win 70 or more games. these are the lakers they'll race off to a great start, get bored and lose games to teams they have no business to which will prompt all the panic threads and they'll get it together late going into the playoffs end they'll end with around 61-62 wins.

Pretty much.

i don't understand why a lot of lakers fans are denouncing this like it would be near impossible. the schedule has already been discussed but some of y'all talking like you haven't peeped it fully.. home heavy and few playoff teams in first month allows them to gain confidence and momentum and have a nice early undefeated beginning like they are experiencing. not only fewest back to back than any other team, but they play the weaker team on the second of each back to back, and less than half of their 15 back to back actually feature a well known playoff team...look at it yourself.

lakers scheduling isn't the only reason why it makes it more probable, but boston, miami, and orlando are the 3 strongest teams besides the lakers and they all play in the eastern conference. they will face more games against inferior teams. if you haven't noticed, pj makes it clear at least once each season that their goal is to win the leagues best record and have home court throughout playoffs and finals. (having a better record than boston last season earned the lakers 2 straight home finals games after being down 3-2...its important.) therefore, i think the lakers will play with the mindset to win the leagues best record as opposed to the "72-10 or better", and given this years arrangement of competition, i think it will be a great enough mindset of focus to come close, match, or even surpass the record.

this lakers team is definitely looking like one of deepest lakers teams in history, seriously. a deep team is key to a successful season and will only make things better for the teams best players. im not at all saying the lakers will do it, im just stating that this years conditions give the lakers the best probability in a long while.

i don't understand why a lot of lakers fans are denouncing this like it would be near impossible. the schedule has already been discussed but some of y'all talking like you haven't peeped it fully.. home heavy and few playoff teams in first month allows them to gain confidence and momentum and have a nice early undefeated beginning like they are experiencing. not only fewest back to back than any other team, but they play the weaker team on the second of each back to back, and less than half of their 15 back to back actually feature a well known playoff team...look at it yourself.

lakers scheduling isn't the only reason why it makes it more probable, but boston, miami, and orlando are the 3 strongest teams besides the lakers and they all play in the eastern conference. they will face more games against inferior teams. if you haven't noticed, pj makes it clear at least once each season that their goal is to win the leagues best record and have home court throughout playoffs and finals. (having a better record than boston last season earned the lakers 2 straight home finals games after being down 3-2...its important.) therefore, i think the lakers will play with the mindset to win the leagues best record as opposed to the "72-10 or better", and given this years arrangement of competition, i think it will be a great enough mindset of focus to come close, match, or even surpass the record.

this lakers team is definitely looking like one of deepest lakers teams in history, seriously. a deep team is key to a successful season and will only make things better for the teams best players. im not at all saying the lakers will do it, im just stating that this years conditions give the lakers the best probability in a long while.

Espn los Angeles talkin bout La Lakers 73-9
i guess i aint the only one with that on my mind
say what you want but this will be the topic of the year
until the lakers start to show otherwise just deal with it 73-9 talk cause u gonna hear it rather you like or not

tuff as it gets for the Lakers is right here
March
Sun 06 @ San Antonio 12:30pm
Tue 08 @ Atlanta
Thu 10 @ Miami 5:00pm
Sat 12 @ Dallas 5:30pm

Feb
Sat 05 @ New Orleans 5:00pm
Mon 07 @ Memphis 5:00pm
Thu 10 @ Boston 5:00pm
Fri 11 @ New York 5:00pm
Sun 13 @ Orlando 12:30pm
Mon 14 @ Charlotte 4:00pm
Wed 16 @ Cleveland 4:30pm

until the lakers start to show otherwise just deal with it 73-9 talk cause u gonna hear it rather you like or not

tuff as it gets for the Lakers is right here
March
Sun 06 @ San Antonio 12:30pm
Tue 08 @ Atlanta
Thu 10 @ Miami 5:00pm
Sat 12 @ Dallas 5:30pm

Feb
Sat 05 @ New Orleans 5:00pm
Mon 07 @ Memphis 5:00pm
Thu 10 @ Boston 5:00pm
Fri 11 @ New York 5:00pm
Sun 13 @ Orlando 12:30pm
Mon 14 @ Charlotte 4:00pm
Wed 16 @ Cleveland 4:30pm

I think if the Lakers want to break the record (if healthy) they can.

Look at their schedule. Piece of cake.

I think if the Lakers want to break the record (if healthy) they can.

Look at their schedule. Piece of cake.

laugh.gif

And ESPN Heat Index says the Heat are going 73-9, and ESPNDallas thinks the Cowboys are going to the superbowl. If you are using anything ESPN related as your factor for saying "See I aint the only one saying it" you need to finally come to realization ESPN and media sites only care about the clicks and the ad rates. Common sense be damned.

This ain't the "topic of the year" come on
roll.gif
  Perhaps on Laker fan boards. This is a record no one can even bring up until the last 1/3 of the season if you want to have any credibility.

laugh.gif

And ESPN Heat Index says the Heat are going 73-9, and ESPNDallas thinks the Cowboys are going to the superbowl. If you are using anything ESPN related as your factor for saying "See I aint the only one saying it" you need to finally come to realization ESPN and media sites only care about the clicks and the ad rates. Common sense be damned.

This ain't the "topic of the year" come on
roll.gif
  Perhaps on Laker fan boards. This is a record no one can even bring up until the last 1/3 of the season if you want to have any credibility.

Back
Top Bottom