A Sad Day in the Freestyle Motocross Community

Jeremy Lusk suffered a horrific crash while competing at the X-Nights competition in Costa Rica on Feb 7th, 2009. It is with great sadness that we reportJeremy Lusk succumbed to his injures tonight at 11:03pm PST. He was surrounded by his loving Mother and father, Chuck & Gina Lusk, his wonderful wifeLauren, his mother and father in law Lyne & Larry along with his closest Mulisha friends Brian Deegan, Ryan Hagy, Cameron Steele & Erik Apple. He isnow with our Heavenly Father and is at peace.A web site pertaining to his conditionand updates.

I removed the video of his crash, it can be found on youtube.com if you must see it.

wow... that's really sad. That's the risk these guys know they're taking though, it's part of what makes what they do so amazing to watch -knowing they could easily lose everything if something goes wrong.

This dude was pretty good from what I remember - very sorry to hear this.

He was definitely one of the best. He had just come off a breakthrough year in '08. He got gold in the FMX competition and Silver in best trick at SummerX Games. He was voted FMX rider of the year by Transworld Motocross and finally got his first cover shot. It's a shame these guys get paid so little whenyou look at the risk they take to entertain.

ESPN Article
LA Times Article

Best_Trick_80_DSC1572.jpg

Wow....sad story....those guys do some crazy !%* stunts.....at least he got to go out doing the thing he loved to do

damn...that was a vicious crash.
how sad for his family.

I've always wondered why someone doesn't develop some kind of neck/back brace thing for X-cross riders.

They actually do have a neck brace designed specifically for motocross, but many opt not to use them because of how restrictive the are; especially those whoride freestyle moto because of how much movement is involved with the body. I just hope more decide to wear them from now on.

There is actually one called the Leatt Brace that most Supercross and Motocross racers wear. I've never seen an FMX rider wearing one. Not saying that itwould have prevented anything in regards to this crash though.

R.I.P. Jeremy Lusk

A few FMX riders wear the Leatt brace, Jeremy Stenberg, Brian Foster and a couple others. Like you said though, wearing that brace doesn't mean it wouldhave saved his life. It was said that he didn't suffer any fractures in his neck. It was the blunt force to his head that caused the most damage.

I don't want to watch that. My sister messes with motocross and I don't need to be seeing this type stuff. Makes me worried.

Back
Top Bottom