ADIDAS BOOST Thread - PAGE 1 for INFO- *NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING*

How many 3.0s have you copped this year?

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • 1-2

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • 3+

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How else are they going to move these models though?
With marketing as they are doing now with Atric/Deerupts/Prophere.

It would seem counterintuitive to only save great stuff for lower tier shoes vs. making their flagship product the item that shines.

With marketing as they are doing now with Atric/Deerupts/Prophere.

It would seem counterintuitive to only save great stuff for lower tier shoes vs. making their flagship product the item that shines.

Marketing isn’t working on those models though. Adidas is moving lots of Tennis Hus because of the HU NMDs, for example. Even Yeezy seems to be taking this approach with the PPs and 500s vs the 350s and 750s.

It wasn’t long ago Adidas used to manufacture much less UBs (GR cws) and move PBs as a takedown model. Same thing happened with PK vs Mesh NMDs. It’s better for Adidas for someone to buy the cheaper model first and later buy the more expensive model vs them just buying the hyped model.

Marketing isn’t working on those models though. Adidas is moving lots of Tennis Hus because of the HU NMDs, for example. Even Yeezy seems to be taking this approach with the PPs and 500s vs the 350s and 750s.

It wasn’t long ago Adidas used to manufacture much less UBs (GR cws) and move PBs as a takedown model. Same thing happened with PK vs Mesh NMDs. It’s better for Adidas for someone to buy the cheaper model first and later buy the more expensive model vs them just buying the hyped model.
That doesn't make sense someone would buy a more expensive model if they are content with buying a cheaper one.

There's no incentive to buy sub-par product at $180 now $200-$220 depending on colored boost and ltd.

Adidas has diluted the market with repeats to the point where CWs sit until they go to discount rather than the BNTL.

Unless they radically change the upper which they have the capabilities to do per last post, everything is gonna sit low tier or high unless they make everything a collab with yeezy/pharrel/insert hype brand

Imagine that upper from earlier on an ultra boost. Wouldn't be all this boost is dead talk for sure. But Adidas keeps taking misstep after misstep lately (prophere, deerupt, kamada etc) instead of focusing on the product people actually want.

dude said marketing for prophere and deerupt. oh you mean the sneakers on auto discount at footlockers?
point blank they should never price anything James Harden related above 200 bucks.

That doesn't make sense someone would buy a more expensive model if they are content with buying a cheaper one.

There's no incentive to buy sub-par product at $180 now $200-$220 depending on colored boost and ltd.

Adidas has diluted the market with repeats to the point where CWs sit until they go to discount rather than the BNTL.

Unless they radically change the upper which they have the capabilities to do per last post, everything is gonna sit low tier or high unless they make everything a collab with yeezy/pharrel/insert hype brand

They had/have to position models like UBs as flagship/aspirational models but also have less expensive alternatives that aren’t total crap. Nike saw this with JB in the 90s when they started putting out Team Jordans at a lower price range, for example. If they didn’t have takedown models, they run the risk of the customer taking their money elsewhere and buying cheaper shoes from a less expensive brand. If they have lower end models with good qualities (I.e. cool uppers or cws), people will be able to spend more long term with the brand or even buy more expensive products on mark-down as you mentioned.

dude said marketing for prophere and deerupt. oh you mean the sneakers on auto discount at footlockers?
point blank they should never price anything James Harden related above 200 bucks.
Average consumer gobble up those models but I don't think those are the type of products to sustain Adidas as a top competitor to Nike/Jordan. But who am I to say since I don't see their quarterly reports.

All I know is that I haven't bought a GR UB boost at retail or even disc since the oreo 3.0. And what I did with that money that could've went to more UBs, it went to Nike. I haven't bought a pair of Nikes in 10+ years.

They had/have to position models like UBs as flagship/aspirational models but also have less expensive alternatives that aren’t total crap. Nike saw this with JB in the 90s when they started putting out Team Jordans at a lower price range, for example. If they didn’t have takedown models, they run the risk of the customer taking their money elsewhere and buying cheaper shoes from a less expensive brand. If they have lower end models with good qualities (I.e. cool uppers or cws), people will be able to spend more long term with the brand or even buy more expensive products on mark-down as you mentioned.
The problem with your premise is that they have to have less expensive alternative product that aren't total crap. Problem is the lower tier models Adidas is putting out is total crap. And the price point isn't much off of a discounted boost product.

The MSRP of that 'lower tier' Atric is $140. That puts it right up there with their flagship boost models.

Average consumer gobble up those models but I don't think those are the type of products to sustain Adidas as a top competitor to Nike/Jordan. But who am I to say since I don't see their quarterly reports.

All I know is that I haven't bought a GR UB boost at retail or even disc since the oreo 3.0. And what I did with that money that could've went to more UBs, it went to Nike. I haven't bought a pair of Nikes in 10+ years.

the only real problem I have with this statement is that consumers don't go for those models. they go after either the classics
or whatever looks normal. Those are clearly targeted towards the NT/IG demographic and it is not working. straight bricks.

Even if Harden played D, no way. Even LeBron or KD can't sell $250 shoes anymore, look at the retails and even those
go straight to outlets. It's a different time right now where the world follows whatever is hitting on social media. Not what
any player is rocking, ESPECIALLY if they have their name on it.

The problem with your premise is that they have to have less expensive alternative product that aren't total crap. Problem is the lower tier models Adidas is putting out is total crap. And the price point isn't much off of a discounted boost product.

The MSRP of that 'lower tier' Atric is $140. That puts it right up there with their flagship boost models.

You might see it as “total crap” but the average consumer who is not connected to the sneaker world will see a Tennis Hu with a PK upper and buy it because it is less than an UB and still has a cool PK upper, for example. If Adidas did not have lower tier options like this available, customers like this would likely buy Nike, UA, etc. instead.

Remember, Adidas sells way more Superstars than any other shoe. They need lower end models for revenue, having some nicer features on some of these models simply helps the brand move product, at the end of the day.

the only real problem I have with this statement is that consumers don't go for those models. they go after either the classics
or whatever looks normal. Those are clearly targeted towards the NT/IG demographic and it is not working. straight bricks.

Even if Harden played D, no way. Even LeBron or KD can't sell $250 shoes anymore, look at the retails and even those
go straight to outlets. It's a different time right now where the world follows whatever is hitting on social media. Not what
any player is rocking, ESPECIALLY if they have their name on it.
We might be talking about different things but I was speaking on the Atric uppers that should've sat on Boost vs what they are trying now. I do agree with you that what they have been marketing with Deerupts/Propheres are targeting the urban fashion demographic but in comparison with what Nike has been putting out regardless if either makes outlet, Nike beats those 2 new models by miles.

Not surprised about the MSRP on the Harden joints. Y-3 always overpriced and you add a superstar name, it's gonna start off crazy.

Not even a Harden fan so I wouldn't even wear his shoe even if it was given to me. I'll wear the Dame 4 over that any time of the week/year/century.

You might see it as “total crap” but the average consumer who is not connected to the sneaker world will see a Tennis Hu with a PK upper and buy it because it is less than an UB and still has a cool PK upper, for example. If Adidas did not have lower tier options like this available, customers like this would likely buy Nike, UA, etc. instead.

Remember, Adidas sells way more Superstars than any other shoe. They need lower end models for revenue, having some nicer features on some of these models simply helps the brand move product, at the end of the day.
lol it's not 'lower tier' tho :lol: I just stated MSRP is $140. That's the same as a NMD.

Entry-level and flagship cannot have the same price. It's the same with the iPhone 8 and X. One is going to cannibalize the other.

Even then so, we're going off topic to my original point.

If that Atric upper or a knit patter scheme on an UB upper, they wouldn't sit as much as they do now.

The end.

adidas has some good releases this year but they lack the marketing that Nike has + colorways/collabs. They also are missing a replacement to fill in the void that was UB in 2015, NMD in 2016 and EQT in 2018. I guess that was futurecraft but oh well lol

All of these actually would've looked dope on a UB/boost midsole
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 3.39.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 3.39.44 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom