Adidas ORIGINALS updates

I don't cause 3M is known for making a lot of other products aside from their reflective material. To me it's not on that synonymous level like those other products are.

You're not wrong i just don't think anyone is going to mistake a piece of reflective tape on a shoe as a post it or some other miscellaneous 3M product. Since I started collecting back in '99-2000 I think I've always referred to reflective pieces on shoes as 3M. I say blame the websites that reinforce the misuse of the name.

To be clear, I'm just nitpicking, go ahead and keep calling it 3M. I just think it's interesting.

Although I will say, there are PLENTY of people who wouldn't know what you were talking about when you said 3M in regards to reflective material, whereas everyone know what Xerox and Velcro are.

Last edited:

To be clear, I'm just nitpicking, go ahead and keep calling it 3M. I just think it's interesting.

Although I will say, there are PLENTY of people who wouldn't know what you were talking about when you said 3M in regards to reflective material, whereas everyone know what Xerox and Velcro are.
Not choosing sides, but people wearing Jordan's have been using the 3M term ever since the 5s in the '90s. As a kid, I remember it being the "cool thing" when they took pics of MJ and you could see the tongue reflecting. In the South, everything is a "Coke", too. We ask what type of Coke would you like? A Coke Coke or XXXX. Now, I'd agree outside of the sneaker world, a person would look at you like you had 3 eyes, but I'd say it's pretty common for the vast majority in the sneaker world JMO though:

http://www.sneakerwatch.com/article/21608/the-20-best-3m-sneakers

http://www.complex.com/sneakers/2013/06/know-your-tech-3m-scotchlite

Last edited:
Not choosing sides, but people wearing Jordan's have been using the 3M term ever since the 5s in the '90s. As a kid, I remember it being the "cool thing" when they took pics of MJ and you could see the tongue reflecting. I'd agree outside of the sneaker world, a person would look at you like you had 3 eyes, but I'd say it's pretty common for the vast majority in the sneaker world JMO though:

Yeah when I say plenty of people I'm talking outside the world of sneakerheads and hypebeasts.

Not choosing sides, but people wearing Jordan's have been using the 3M term ever since the 5s in the '90s. As a kid, I remember it being the "cool thing" when they took pics of MJ and you could see the tongue reflecting. I'd agree outside of the sneaker world, a person would look at you like you had 3 eyes, but I'd say it's pretty common for the vast majority in the sneaker world JMO though:

Yeah when I say plenty of people I'm talking outside the world of sneakerheads and hypebeasts.
Yeah. I know it's semantics. I think for most of us, it's just easier to say "3M" rather than the reflective material. I guess we're lazy.
laugh.gif

Yeah. I know it's semantics. I think for most of us, it's just easier to say "3M" rather than the reflective material. I guess we're lazy.
laugh.gif
I'm not even saying we shouldn't say 3M, it works a lot better than saying something more technical, it was just something I hadn't thought of till recently and found it interesting.

But yeah, I don't personally think 3M is a term like Xerox, Velcro, Zip-lock, Band-Aid, etc where it's so synonymous with one specific thing that people use it even when it's not made by that particular brand.

Not a big deal at all. Just semantics.

laugh.gif
I'm not even saying we shouldn't say 3M, it works a lot better than saying something more technical, it was just something I hadn't thought of till recently and found it interesting.

But yeah, I don't personally think 3M is a term like Xerox, Velcro, Zip-lock, Band-Aid, etc where it's so synonymous with one specific thing that people use it even when it's not made by that particular brand.

Not a big deal at all. Just semantics.
I actually think that 3M (the company) is considered the foremost expert/best product in the reflective materials industry.

I'd go as far as saying that billing your product as 3M means its ACTUALLY reflective whereas alot of products claim to be 3M but are sub par and/or don't serve as suitable reflective material. It's bordering into marketing designation status

I actually think that 3M (the company) is considered the foremost expert/best product in the reflective materials industry.
I'd go as far as saying that billing your product as 3M means its ACTUALLY reflective whereas alot of products claim to be 3M but are sub par and/or don't serve as suitable reflective material. It's bordering into marketing designation status

I think tankdayglo tankdayglo was saying the 3M product range spans more than just reflective product, so someone just saying '3M' isn't necessarily referring to a reflective piece? If I'm wrong never mind me lol.

Either way, I typically refer to reflective panels as 3M.

3M boards a vast catalogue of products that aren't restrictively reflective ... 

3M boards a vast catalogue of products that aren't restrictively reflective ... 
Oh I know - I'm very familiar with 3M - I worked very closely with them at my last company. They started as a mining company.

To the general consumer, 3M is typically only known for their reflective material products and their product is considered the highest tier. So I think it's fair for 3M to be used to describe reflective material in the same way "Kleenex" describes facial tissues. While I personally think that its wholly inaccurate to say that anything reflective is 3M as it is a marketing designation that you actually need to license while actually using their technology/material, to the layman, why not?

Last edited:

Oh I know - I'm very familiar with 3M - I worked very closely with them at my last company. They started as a mining company.

To the general consumer, 3M is typically only known for their reflective material products and their product is considered the highest tier. So I think it's fair for 3M to be used to describe reflective material in the same way "Kleenex" describes facial tissues. While I personally think that its wholly inaccurate to say that anything reflective is 3M as it is a marketing designation that you actually need to license while actually using their technology/material, to the layman, why not?
Even If I consider this conversation is nuts ... I'll reply with a , only place in earth where 3M is associated with anything reflective is North America, you would never hear anyone from Europe, Asia, South and Central America, "Oh look my new 3M Jacket" , so it's not as common as we could think 

I concur with @Fahqu001   , we're lazy. 

Not sure about the bb1234 release almost as if 2 different colour ups all the below pictures are from the same Hanon photospread

Or this one

So is the upper black or black with the noise pattern is the inside forefoot black or black and white?

Does anyone know if the European and North American release is on 1/26/17? 
I hope so too but these are so fly I might say EFF it and buy em ASAP....One thing; the pre sale link provided said $230 USD was the price...Is this going to be the SRP or just a shop getting grabby?

Does anyone know how the Eddie Huang Adilette slides fit? Are they comfortable and worth the resell price? Thinking of picking up a pair to walk all over Hawaii.

Last edited:
Rick Owens x Adidas Mastodon Pro Taupel CW x Stampd Strapped Chinos

....cuz i felt like slaying the public today

still think those are pretty solid, sadly not 1000 solid , feel like you're not slaying anyone 
laugh.gif
 no disrespect intended 

Good looks anyway 

I got these jacket today from a friend 

The 3M on this is just unbelievable 

Back
Top Bottom