African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

Nigerian checking in but I was born in the states.

I dont really mess with my parents culture anymore because religion controls it.
You could say the same for American culture no? What’s so different about the 2 religiously?

I dont really mess with my parents culture anymore because religion controls it.

As the son of Haitian immigrants i feel this, but on the haitian side more so culture and religion are intermixed and interchangeable when they want it to be. when i got old enough to think for myself and find my own path with religion i had to separate what was haitian parents being haitian parents and what was scripture. still doing it to this day and i can say ive changed my parents minds on a lot of things in recent years.

Nigerian checking in but I was born in the states.

yea man, a lot of places in Africa (and a lot of places here) Islam and Christianity is so ingrained in them that they lose their original identity. Certain elements of Hausa culture from the North of Nigeria is waaay too Islam for me.

You could say the same for American culture no? What’s so different about the 2 religiously?

True but that's more in the bible belt states imo. I live in California, a "liberal" state. My parents culture is heavily intertwined with their religion. Their rational thinking is thrown out the window on a lot of topics. If it doesnt align with the religion, then it's the devil's work.

I've taught them a lot through the years though. The biggest being prejudice towards african americans and the reality of marriage and having kids.

As the son of Haitian immigrants i feel this, but on the haitian side more so culture and religion are intermixed and interchangeable when they want it to be. when i got old enough to think for myself and find my own path with religion i had to separate what was haitian parents being haitian parents and what was scripture. still doing it to this day and i can say ive changed my parents minds on a lot of things in recent years.
That's my biggest grip. Everything is a contradiction with culture and religion mixed up.

That's my biggest grip. Everything is a contradiction with culture and religion mixed up.

absolutely. and while im on my own path religiously as a christian i challenge them all the time stuff. I remember when i first went off to college i got my ears pierced .. something i knew my parents were never aboutand they tried to hit me with the religious argument from some book in the old testament that really didnt hold any ground in todays time. long story short I got them to admit that they didnt like it for personal reasons as opposed to it being some offense to God. I'm sure you know exactly the kind of convos im talking about. when it comes to alot of stuff they say now adays its take it with grain of salt and form my own opinion.

In my opinion

Christianity is a pillar of white supremacy
Islam is a pillar of arab supremacy

Black/African people shouldnt really engage in those religions, because it was never meant to benefit us.

In my opinion

Christianity is a pillar of white supremacy
Islam is a pillar of arab supremacy

as institutions i agree with this. on the individual level, Christianity looks like a whole lot of different things to a whole lot of different people. especially in practice. ultimately i judge people by the fruit they produce. if you call yourself a christian and are not for black people to live and show up in this world however they want, unencumbered, you arent a christian to me.

im sure there are people out their that call themselves christians that dont agree with me, but thats none of my business. my relationship with my Creator puts me on the side of black freedom. period. And no i dont think you have to be a christian to feel the same way i do. im only speaking on my own personal motivation

Last edited:
The more religious a society, the less innovative a society.

No matter what religion it is.

Religiosity stifles innovation, but at the same time, innovation and science weaken religiosity.

Christ wasn’t a Christian. Buddha wasn’t a Buddhist. Mohammed wasn’t a Muslim.

Spirituality and Science go together.

Religion and Science don’t.

The more religious a society, the less innovative a society.

No matter what religion it is.

Religiosity stifles innovation, but at the same time, innovation and science weaken religiosity.

Christ wasn’t a Christian. Buddha wasn’t a Buddhist. Mohammed wasn’t a Muslim.

Spirituality and Science go together.

Religion and Science don’t.

id argue that today, especially with younger christians, theyre more spiritual than religious. if by religious you mean the formalized structure of it all.

my Christianity takes place 99% within my own head and the 1% is how i treat other people. if that makes sense.

I'm an engineer by education and trade as well

Last edited:
didn't know this thread existed. I come from Dominican parents who emigrated here in the 80s. My Pops has Euro roots (France + Spain) while my mom has Hatian and Trini roots on her side. I know I have African roots in me just waiting on the 23 and me results to come back. I still have so many questions to ask my parents regarding where they both come from cause we (me and my siblings) was told very little info.

Would you please elaborate?

i mean me being a christian is about going to church or symbolism or ritual. Its about who i believe God is and who I am in relation to that belief and finding my place in this world where I'm the most benefit to those people around me in any given situation. for me that means being about peoples freedom, not about pushing my beliefs on other people or condemning people that dont arrive to the same spiritual conclusion that i do.

even with that said, i can definitely recognize how white supremacy can and has hijacked entire belief systems to oppress people under the guise of a call to some higher divine authority.

Last edited:
Cant speak for Islam, though half my family is Islamic but Christianity has a crippling effect especially for men. Mixed with culture and its exemplified.

"Youre only a Christian/Muslim because your slavemaster was one" - Dr Henrik Clarke

I LOVE THAT QUOTE

If you call jesus your lord and saviour? Then you are anything but spiritual. If your religion tells you that women are to be second class citizens? Then your religion has no connection to anything spiritual. If your religion tells you that sex between two consenting adults is wrong? Then your religion can go and jump in a lake.

Forever.

"Youre only a Christian/Muslim because your slavemaster was one" - Dr Henrik Clarke

I LOVE THAT QUOTE

this assumes people dont have enough agency to think and act for themselves. people live their lives, go through different experiences, and come to different conclusions. its as simple as that.

like i said, especially in 2019, Christianity looks and shows up in many different ways for many different people. attempting paint everyone with a broad brush does nothing to further the discussion. The fact that we're both here, different people, with different experiences, here trying to make the world a better place for black people to live in it clearly shows not everyone fits the mold you describe.

If you call jesus your lord and saviour? Then you are anything but spiritual. If your religion tells you that women are to be second class citizens? Then your religion has no connection to anything spiritual. If your religion tells you that sex between two consenting adults is wrong? Then your religion can go and jump in a lake.

Forever.

we've had this discussion before, at the end of the day you want to see black people do well and so do i. thats good enough for me. im good with anyone whos mix of beliefs and life experiences brought them to the conclusion that that they want to see black people succeed.

The abrahamic faiths will handcuff you spiritually, especially women, destroying the right to self preservation. This is the reason that I LOVE the story of the Haitian revolution, and the effect that Dutty and the High Priestess had upon the people. With the influence of VooDoo, they brought down white supremacy, and it can be done again. Without TRUE spirituality? We've been locked in limbo for the past 400 years here in North America.

We need to get back to our own thing. Worship the ancestors, not the impostors.

The abrahamic faiths will handcuff you spiritually, especially women, destroying the right to self preservation. This is the reason that I LOVE the story of the Haitian revolution, and the effect that Dutty and the High Priestess had upon the people. With the influence of VooDoo, they brought down white supremacy, and it can be done again. Without TRUE spirituality? We've been locked in limbo for the past 400 years here in North America.

We need to get back to our own thing. Worship the ancestors, not the impostors.

brother, I hope you can continue to have encumbered accesses to whatever brings you the most personal peace. i wish the same for everyone

Whenever I pray to my ancestors? Things get done. I see people praying to deities that simply love being prayed to, and I see them still on their knees, still begging for a forgiveness that should not be asked for. You fight to survive, and you kill to live. If someone is in your way, becoming an obstacle, why would I want to believe the same way that those who created the obstacle believe?

Meh - I have no authority to say what is and what isn’t when it comes to other peoples personal beliefs.

All I care about it how you treat others.

If Religion puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

If Spirituality puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

If Atheism puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

If None of the Above puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

IMHO what we truly believe is manifested in our ways and actions…regardless of what we call it.

Whenever I pray to my ancestors? Things get done. I see people praying to deities that simply love being prayed to, and I see them still on their knees, still begging for a forgiveness that should not be asked for. You fight to survive, and you kill to live. If someone is in your way, becoming an obstacle, why would I want to believe the same way that those who created the obstacle believe?

I always questioned my family why they do not follow their ancestor's original religion, Ifa. Funny enough, I think my Pops started secretly following it as of late.

Funny enough, I think my Pops started secretly following it as of late.
giphy (4).gif

Meh - I have no authority to say what is and what isn’t when it comes to other peoples personal beliefs.

All I care about it how you treat others.

If Religion puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

If Spirituality puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

If Atheism puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

If None of the Above puts you in a place where you do unto others as you would like done unto you - Great!

IMHO what we truly believe is manifested in our ways and actions…regardless of what we call it.
pretty much how i see it. if you look at me and say "wow youre at peace, i wanna know what youre doing" ill share what i believe and keep it moving. other than that, i let people rock. especially if theyre treating people (especially black people) well.

Back
Top Bottom