African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

I can say its still around but getting better. It's really the older generation or those that refuse to assimilate to american culture that still look down on African Americans.

I was born in the states so I relate more to African Americans than I do Africans.

Ultimately, f*** all the noise. What are we going to do to keep empowering blacks? Financial freedom and capital. Gain knowledge and resources from white supremacy and invest in yours.

Also, I like the ADOS even if it doesnt directly apply to me.

This right here. Same wave I’m on

The divide between Black americans and those from the Caribbean is real. Much of it has to do with the perception that Black americans are supposedly lazy, then not taking advantage of opportunity that is supposedly available here in the US. The work ethic thing is what looms large, and that perception is what is attached to the right wing in america, the white supremacist wing of the government. The immigrant point of view of hard work is noble, but truly nothing but a scam toward the immigrant. Black Americans worked hard for free in this country, for four hundred years. Due to many immigrants not LEARNING that this is indeed the case, they come to this country believing the stereotypical imagery that is often associated with protest. The image of COMPLAINING.

I have said this before, yet it was deleted by an overzealous moderator on this site. It isn't until an immigrant to this country gets a police gun placed to his nose, that they begin to understand that they are indeed BLACK.
Your ignorant *** would have sat in the back of the bus in this country during segregation, regardless of how many jobs, or how many degrees you may have attained.

First gun I ever had pointed at me was by none other than the NYPD...at the age of 10/11 mind you. There’ve been numerous other instances of other black immigrants being victims of police violence (Amadou Diallo, Abner Louima, etc). I’ve always maintained that they dgaf where you’re from, they just see the black skin. We’re the ones who perpetuate the differences among ourselves. And there’s equal blame to go around. But like ayotayo ayotayo mentioned before, I think (and I’m hopeful) that it was a generational thing - times are changing. The first generation of immigrant children born and raised here understand the struggle and relate to African Americans.

I believe the core difference between American Blacks and Non, is the value they place on Education. My African friends didn't blink twice at grad school costs because they saw the value of what it would bring long term......My Father who was also not born here, always made it clear to me that education was mandatory, not optional.

I believe the core difference between American Blacks and Non, is the value they place on Education. My African friends didn't blink twice at grad school costs because they saw the value of what it would bring long term......My Father who was also not born here, always made it clear to me that education was mandatory, not optional.
I need to understand... Black Americans don't value education? And we're not supposed to take this as disrespect?

We fought (to our detriment to some degree) to integrate and have opportunities to have a better education, so that any black person can achieve quality education but we don't value education. Ok. >D

I need to understand... Black Americans don't value education? And we're not supposed to take this as disrespect?

We fought (to our detriment to some degree) to integrate and have opportunities to have a better education, so that any black person can achieve quality education but we don't value education. Ok. >D
Strawman, nowhere in my statement did I state that American Blacks (which I am btw) don't value education.........I am simply stating as an aggregate there is a difference almost blind allegiance to the American educational system (mostly talking about post 12th grade) by blacks not born here. It's almost cult like.

Strawman, nowhere in my statement did I state that American Blacks (which I am btw) don't value education.........I am simply stating as an aggregate there is a difference almost blind allegiance to the American educational system (mostly talking about post 12th grade) by blacks not born here. It's almost cult like.
You said the core difference is that non-americas blacks (lets just use non-ados) is the value placed on education, as if black americans (ados) don't place the same or lesser value. Which is it? Also you said in your original post that your father was not born here, unless he was born by two ados military couple who birthed him on a base outside of the states that makes him an immigrant which in turn does not make you fully an ados, this isn't an attack you but to point out that you possibly having an immigrant father and making statements like that isn't cool.

Maybr some black folks been in America long enough to feel like an education won't save you from being a "N" and the newly arrived blacks have a certain optimism unique to someone who hasn't experienced generational Jim Crow.

You said the core difference is that non-americas blacks (lets just use non-ados) is the value placed on education, as if black americans (ados) don't place the same or lesser value. Which is it? Also you said in your original post that your father was not born here, unless he was born by two ados military couple who birthed him on a base outside of the states that makes him an immigrant which in turn does not make you fully an ados, this isn't an attack you but to point out that you possibly having an immigrant father and making statements like that isn't cool.
What is ados? I seriously have no idea. I was born in the states, which makes me a black American. I can make a statement that I have found anecdotally true, come with some facts man, not feelings. Isn't cool? We in high school now?

Here are some figures.....https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/04/09/a-rising-share-of-the-u-s-black-population-is-foreign-born/

there is a difference almost blind allegiance to the American educational system (mostly talking about post 12th grade) by blacks not born here. It's almost cult like.
Maybr some black folks been in America long enough to feel like an education won't save you from being a "N" and the newly arrived blacks have a certain optimism unique to someone who hasn't experienced generational Jim Crow.
It is much, much simpler than that.

Africans care about diplomas and credentials from the most renowned universities. It's, like Brownstone Brownstone said, almost cult-like. Think of African parents the same way you'd think about those Asian tiger moms: you can be an engineer, doctor, lawyer, or nothing. They will look down on anyone that is not in these "prestigious" professions and call everybody else a failure. If you make good money in the trades (and skip college), they will look down on you until you own that business. That's just how most of them are wired. Just be glad that you're not their electrician child being constantly compared to your siblings who are lawyas, doctas, and professas.

What is ados? I seriously have no idea. I was born in the states, which makes me a black American. I can make a statement that I have found anecdotally true, come with some facts man, not feelings. Isn't cool? We in high school now?

Here are some figures.....https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/04/09/a-rising-share-of-the-u-s-black-population-is-foreign-born/
Your SN is "blackintellect" and you do not know what ados means? Ok buddy lol again you may have been born here but you come from an immigrant background by way of your father. And anecdotally making statements comparing immigrant black folks (in this case africans) and saying they value education more than non-immigrant background black folks is some off the wall BS man, Im a non-immigrant background black american and my family as much as other families with my lineage value education wholeheartedly. And I don't quiet correlate the we in high school comment, I said nothing that was immature.

Btw that link didn't prove anything, just that there are more immigrant black people entering this country.... and water is wet. These are things we already know so idk what point you're proving sir.

Your SN is "blackintellect" and you do not know what ados means? Ok buddy lol again you may have been born here but you come from an immigrant background by way of your father. And anecdotally making statements comparing immigrant black folks (in this case africans) and saying they value education more than non-immigrant background black folks is some off the wall BS man, Im a non-immigrant background black american and my family as much as other families with my lineage value education wholeheartedly. And I don't quiet correlate the we in high school comment, I said nothing that was immature.

Btw that link didn't prove anything, just that there are more immigrant black people entering this country.... and water is wet. These are things we already know so idk what point you're proving sir.
Ok bro, you got me. Did you read the link? Apparently your family doesn't value literacy...

You not gonna tell me what I am, nice try!

Sowwy I offended you garvin

Ok bro, you got me. Did you read the link? Apparently your family doesn't value literacy...

You not gonna tell me what I am, nice try!

Sowwy I offended you garvin
Nice internet insults man lol that's how I know I caught you trying to be low key disrespectful in your original comment. And again nothing in your link proves your argument.

The issue Is that you compared two groups of people and said one values education and that only means that the other doesn't or to a lesser degree, if you would've just said that our African brothers and sisters have a value for degrees without adding your "differences" that would've been ok. Because black Americans value degrees and education as well.

But you had to throw that BS comparison in, it makes sense tho, you're not fully a black American even by your own admission, your father was not born in this country. You have an ancestral immagrant lineage and you shots at us F outta here with that. Sorry, not sorry if YOU are offended.

lol are we all suppose to know what an ADOS is? I came in here thinking it was a yoruba derogatory term for African Americans I've never heard of.

Last edited:

I don't think this is unique to Africans, immigrants of all races seemingly value education more than their American counterparts. Most of the people devaluing education in this country are not black Americans. The most educated group in this country are black women and a lot of them aren't immigrants. Meanwhile you have rura,l bible bellt and rustle belt white people who could care less about educating this country.

Last edited:
BLACK PEOPLE GOOD MORNING,. We are all the same here whether you from America, Nigeria, Haiti or Zimbabwe damn

This is not true AT ALL.

Black American descendents of slaves are fighting for reparations and separating ourselves for the benefit of reparations and the BS that y'all don't check from your side ex. The racoons (use your imagination), nobody is making black non-ADOS brothers and sisters our enemy. We are simply pointing out the division and vitriol that comes from that side. We are all one, I truly believe that but we gotta start pointing out the discrepancies.

I support black descendants of American slaves and reparations, but what I have been seeing is this us vs them (non American blacks) in the narrative.

Tariq made a couple posts where its clear he is not a fan of non American black folks.

I support black descendants of American slaves and reparations, but what I have been seeing is this us vs them (non American blacks) in the narrative.

Tariq made a couple posts where its clear he is not a fan of non American black folks.

You got a link to some of Tariq’s comments? I was having this discussion with one of my boys and want to show him.

Just to add to the discussion about education when it comes to African American and black immigrants. I don’t think it’s about who values education more, or to imply that one doesn’t value education. It’s about cultural emphasis. From my observations and experiences Caribbean immigrant parents put a ton of cultural emphasis on education where the American culture in general puts a cultural emphasis on capitalistic endeavors like entrepreneurship and securing the bag as quickly as possible. Now that’s not to say that an individual can’t fall in either buckets or both of them, Carrabean culture just has this toxic a** almost cast system in place where parents flex their value as a parent on others by how educated their kids are. They would rather you be a broke medschool student at 26 than a business owner making a profit at 24. I say this Being from a stereotypical Haitian family where I became an engineer and both my sisters are degreed nurses. Thankful for the support they gave me but tons of parts of carrabean/black immigrant culture is super toxic.

Last edited:

His new term is "Foundational Black Americans"

He framed tat whole argument on her having a Grendan background

1573484305956.png

The whole argument regarding the descendants of African slaves here in america and the legacy of education in america is quite comical. Black people who are the descendants of slaves here KNOW the game that whites play upon immigrants, in regard to education being that thing to allow upward mobility. The MODEL MINORITY ideal is, and should be, an insult to anyone intellectually aware. The problem is that many minorities who come to america under their own volition are not aware, then falling into political trappings with glee.

Is an education the thing that will allow you to become successful in America? Nope.

Carrabean culture just has this toxic a** almost cast system in place where parents flex their value as a parent on other by how educated their kids. They would rather you be a broke medschool student at 26 than a business owner making a profit at 24
It's not only prevalent in Caribbean culture. In their mind, the only good kind of education is a formal education, and the best formal education is the one that opens the door to those professions that they consider high on the totem of jobs.

Is an education the thing that will allow you to become successful in America? Nope.

But you're only looking at America. These parents are looking beyond this country. An American degree places you high on the list of potential hires throughout the world, and especially so if you already have some connections, which children of immigrants can benefit from thanks to the ties their parents still have with their country of origin. Remember that the majority of immigrants are NOT refugees coming from war zones, and the ability to return home is still open.

It's not only prevalent in Caribbean culture. In their mind, the only good kind of education is a formal education, and the best formal education is the one that opens the door to those professions that they consider high on the totem of jobs.

But you're only looking at America. These parents are looking beyond this country. An American degree places you high on the list of potential hires throughout the world, and especially so if you already have some connections, which children of immigrants can benefit from thanks to the ties their parents still have with their country of origin. Remember that the majority of immigrants are NOT refugees coming from war zones, and the ability to return home is still open.

oh I know its not just carrabean culture, just didn’t want to speak on the behalf of other people. I’m trying to get out of the habit of doing that lol

lol, I hear you. But the irony is that they come and then look down upon the very people who fought for Black people like them, to be able to come here and get such an education. They seem to not know that an education in america for people who look like them? Was not always possible. Their blissful ignorance is what is insulting.

Back
Top Bottom