Age of Consent Discussion (USA)

Post was inspired by the R. Kelly thread.

Didn't want to clutter.

Those are called Romeo and Juliet laws. A lot of states have them because rightfully legislators felt a 19-year-old having sex with a 17-year-old should not be treated the same as a 30-year old that has sex with a 14-year-old. My views on the age of consent laws are a lil more progressive than most, so I'll save my opinion for another day. Especially not talking about them in an R.Kelly thread

Speak on it Rusty.

I come in peace my brother

19 and 17 is fine.

19 and 14 is kinda wtf.

30 and 15 something wrong with you b.

And if you one of those dudes that use third world countries and their rates of child brides as a justification and normalization of having a relationship with a minor (I'm talking like sub 15)...

is this gonna be a real discussion that encompasses da entire world, or is folks gonna exercise selective outrage and conveniently just concentrate on da USA? >D

images

is this gonna be a real discussion that encompasses da entire world, or is folks gonna exercise selective outrage and conveniently just concentrate on da USA? >D
Just the USA.

Not those other places that you posted about before

I'm fine with it being 18.

I'm aware that girls younger than that know about sex and are sexually active. The discussion gets tricky the wider the age gap grows.

A lot of people care because of a man-made rules... that could change at any time.

Kinda off topic but it's a little odd how at 16 you're deemed responsible enough to operate a motor vehicle, yet you're still considered a child.

Post was inspired by the R. Kelly thread.

Didn't want to clutter.

Speak on it Rusty.

I come in peace my brother
:smh: :lol: I doubt you come in peace.

I'm not gonna give deep reasoning for landing on this opinion because I know it where the discussion will go.

If I were making laws to apply nationwide I would put it at 16 years old, have Romeo and Juliet laws to the age difference is considered when it is violated, and to determine what classifies as a felony or misdemeanor. Sex between a 17-year-old and a 15-year-old should not be treated the same as sex between a 30-year-old and someone 14.

If someone can prove they were reasonably unaware of the person's age when that will soften the sentence.

And have equal sentencing no matter the sex of the people involved.

I think we need to focus on punishing real predators and stop trying to police sex between young people.

:smh: :lol: I doubt you come in peace.

I'm not gonna give deep reasoning for landing on this opinion because I know it where the discussion will go.

If I were making laws to apply nationwide I would put it at 16 years old, have Romeo and Juliet laws to the age difference is considered when it is violated, and to determine what classifies as a felony or misdemeanor. Sex between a 17-year-old and a 15-year-old should not be treated the same as sex between a 30-year-old and someone 14.

If someone can prove they were reasonably unaware of the person's age when that will soften the sentence.

And have equal sentencing no matter the sex of the people involved.

I think we need to focus on punishing real predators and stop trying to police sex between young people.
No objection to anything you said.

I know you said you don't want to give deeper history on your logic but I would like to hear it.

I agree that it is silly to attempt to regulate these things between children of similar age ranges.

Jerry Lee Lewis (of Great Balls of Fire fame) married his cousin when she was 13

She still believed in Santa at the time

It ruined his career for a while, but he made a comeback by venturing into country music

#FunFacts

Let me preface this statement with the fact that I am 35yo and I am 100% not into girls under 18. Even 18 and 19 is uncomfortable to me.

To those that are ok with 16 sexing 18yo... if the 16 y/o is interested in older men, let's say 30, why is it that the 30yo is considered to be doing something wrong if he's into younger girls.

Honestly, this happened a LOT a few generations ago and a lot of them ended up marrying and having a family.

You're saying you're ok with 16yo having sex, but you're simply discriminating with whom.

...?

Lemme just sit back, man. This thread finna get real messy

Let me preface this statement with the fact that I am 35yo and I am 100% not into girls under 18. Even 18 and 19 is uncomfortable to me.

To those that are ok with 16 sexing 18yo... if the 16 y/o is interested in older men, let's say 30, why is it that the 30yo is considered to be doing something wrong if he's into younger girls.

Honestly, this happened a LOT a few generations ago and a lot of them ended up marrying and having a family.

You're saying you're ok with 16yo having sex, but you're simply discriminating with whom.

Bruh what?

...?

Lemme just sit back, man. This thread finna get real messy

I'm just curious at to how they say 16 is old enough to give consent but with conditions.
It's like saying you're old enough to drive but you can't drive a car that's 15 years older than you.

Again, I'm fine with the age of consent being 18.

I thought you were a patriot? Fortunately the US is relatively progressive on this matter. It’s a good thing. You should embrace it like you do housing welfare.

Back
Top Bottom