Air Force 25 Low - REVIEWED

381158e7d1cdd43bd3ebe95f34727e0ab983e36.jpg

First of all, let me say this is a beautiful looking shoe. I actually bought this completely randomly, usually I have a pair in mind from Eastbay or thisthread or wherever, and when I try on a shoe or purchase it I've already made up my mind to get them. This time, however, I was walking through NikeTown SFand saw these on the BB wall and had to stop. I love the light blue/black color combination, and tried these on. They were comfy as hell, so I grabbed a pairfor casual use. Then I took them to the gym this last week and was happily surprised.

COMFORT: 9/10
2fb35ae3e61ed7a0cdb0de263664b63280c3009.jpg

The upper is seamless, and though for the life of me I can't figure out the material, it's breathable and soft. The shoe is great underfoot, with anice heel-toe transition. Usually when breaking in a basketball shoe I get a bruise or a bloody toe or a scuff on my ankle or something - most of you know thatannoyance - but every time I've worn these my feet have been fine.

VENTILATION: 8/10
ed62599e9fda9cd8da63a2483f3439adf6b9834.jpg

These are very airy. They don't necessarily look like it, but the leather material gives it sufficient natural flow, and the air holes throughout (picturedabove) help a lot. I didn't give these a 9 or a 10, because that should be reserved for ClimaCools and the Kobe 3s, but my feet were never swealtering ortoo hot at any time. I had plenty of air and my feet were never soaked with sweat. I'd recommend wearing moisture wicking socks as I have, too.

Traction: 8.8/10
98335355e115ddc9c17cd81132e1fdb416f4db0.jpg

47c15fe7dacddf3692c60641044c7cb19ed91a7.jpg

85b156e0d7c0d933c0424969872f9a06f514096.jpg

Very nice traction. Simple herringbone pattern with a very nice looking clear outsole, too. It works well, no complaints at all. I have not slipped or slid atall when wearing them, so it's doing its job. They're not quite as great as, say, the Answer XI (which squeak to a complete stop everytime), butthey're very good.

CUSHIONING: 10/10
fab156e0dbc0dd3b4f006c65fa9f17eb1164f2b.jpg

a9425bde56da3c73d5c3c415a625e9086db7909.jpg

Best part of the shoe, hands down. Wearing them in the store they felt smooth, but breaking them out on the court and breaking them in they've gotten muchbetter. They've got max air in the heel, full length air zoom and it's basically the best of both worlds. Heel landing is wonderful, my knees feelfreat. Forefoot cushioning is impeccable, responsive and natural at the same time. I love the way these feel underfoot, and they've only gotten betterafter a solid week (6 days of playing, at least one hour every day) of balling

LOCKDOWN/FIT: 10/10

6ad35e20e4fbd3d8cd92d5b53d990bd14c8f15d.jpg

It might be surprsing to those of you used to mids to hear a low rated so high, but it's true. I don't believe mids help you more than lows do withregards to ankle injuries (last I looked, Dirk, Bron and countless others had hurt themselves wearing mids, while Nash and Gilby wear lows and seem to dofine), and that fit is more imporant than locking your ankle into a prison. Anyway, the straightforward lacing system - no straps, no asymetrical nonsense -belies its use. There are a lot of laceholes for a low cut shoe, and that helped customize the fit. I rolled my ankle severely a few years ago (playing inmids, thank you) and my left foot is now slightly bigger than my right. These shoes, with a little lacing adjustments, accommodated both my feet perfectly andlocked them down. The shoe was comfy without being tight/cutting off circulation. Heel fit was superb, toe box had room but not too much. There was no side toside movement, no sliding, nothing. Great fit.

WEIGHT 10/10
Since this is a low, it's already a step ahead of the mids. It might seem like cheating, but the Kobe 3, light and responsive as a basketball shoe has everbeen, is listed at the same 16.4 ounces as this one. The Zoom BB 2 is also listed at 16.4, so these are as light as balling shoes are.

OVERALL - 95/100

I like these shoes a great deal. I should mention too they're available at retailers for less than 100 bucks - $90 is official retail - so they're alsoa great value. These also have a nice feel to them, with great detailing and and effort. They look like they'll hold up great for months and months tocome. I'm glad I stopped by NikeTown and randomly copped these, because they've moved to the front of my ball rotation (bumping the Bron 3 lows, theAnswer 11s and a few others) and my feet are happy. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone. However, hyper fast players who stop on a dime might need abit more lockdown and traction - I'm not saying these have ever steered my wrong, but they don't quite have the "second foot" feeling theAZK1s do, for instance. This shoe would especiallty be better for heavier players, or anyone with knee or shin splint issues, as the cushioning is first rate.

Hope it helps.

thanks for the review. ive been thinking about switching to lows. the only thing i dont understand is why the mids are 150 and this is the exact same shoe butlower and its 60 dollars less. that seems off to me because usually lows are 5-10 dollars less than the mids.

Thanks for reviewing these. I wish they came in more colorways. I like the mids, but I prefer lows. I hope they're still around when in the fall...

This is my understanding, so don't take it as fact.

I don't think the 25 Lows have full length zoom, just Air in the heel and a Zoom air unit in the forefoot. $90 is a great value for these.
I wanted to cop as soon as I saw pics, the Mids are way too bulky and heavy, but these are sweeeet.

They're much cheaper than the mids, because first off, I think the Mids were overpriced to begin with, regardless of how much tech. was utilized. I alsothink some Mids had double stacked air in the heel (regular air + zoom?) and full length zoom underfoot.

I have enough shoes for ball, so these are strictly casual for now. But I look forward to breaking them out on court when they get a little more worn/dirty.

I got 2 pairs (white/black, black/blue) and I absolutely love them. They were a bit stiff to begin with but after breaking them in, they're fantastic!

Sizing is one point to me, I wear a 12 and these in a 12 fit me perfectly. My feet are a little wide, but these have plenty of room in the toe box and the toe- basically an ideal fit.

Back
Top Bottom