Air Jordan 1 x UNION LA Thread

Also the dramatic impact of seeing that shape surface after living with 2013s. Frags were amazing to witness. The only other newer one that comes close for me as far as that impact goes was what released next. A lot of broken hearts happened on the beatiful saturday in may. You could tell Nike/jb werent F’ng around with the chis when you unboxed them. Im sure that feeling was off the charts with the Frags

This conversation pops up every once in awhile. As far as collabs go, Frags just doesn't scream "collab' to me. It honestly just looks like a regular colorway that Jordan Brand can drop. Whereas the collabs such as Union and TS have a distinct look to them where you can tell they aren't like any other Jordan 1.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the Frags though, because I do like the colorblocking and color. Are they worth $3k - $5k though? Hell no.
This has always been my sentiments towards the Frags. A Royal Black Toe w/ Black tongue? Dope IMO. But there’s nothing that really says “collab” about them outside of the stamp. No more than if they put that stamp on the Game Royals that dropped. They’d technically be a collab, and have better quality if they were indeed a Frag “collab,” but they wouldn’t stand out in comparison to these other pairs you mentioned, that are a lot more unique, different, and just overall stand out more. They’re still dope IMO, but for me personally, having a couple pairs of Royals, and a pair of Game Royals, I’d take all of those other collabs, as well as the SBBs (and I’m not even a fan of orange or that pair like that), over the Frags.

Its not the frags fault theyre so expensive. Collectors put them out of reach.

The appeal/point of the collab was to fill in a long empty hole in the OG line up. There shouldve always been a Royal black toe. Hiroshi’s talent was to see the hole in the first place. Then he puts his slight twist to it with the indigo boost and more premium materials than normal. No 2014- jordan 1 has a sleeker toe box. The man has a keen eye for shape and detail. The simplicity and craftmanship plus the unnoticed void filled is what makes them dope. High end japanese goods are rarely in your face and the quality is subtle but absolutely apararent and usually have an astounding aspect to the handmade part of it. They take their crafts seriously. I see the Frags as an homage to that using the 1 as the medium. Its a great collaboration. And a hell of a first to lead the subsequent pack. Of which ive always felt were just trying to desperately meet the benchmark the Fragment achieved.

The fragment took the lesser desired colorway/colorblocking of the 1 (at the time) and pretty much made it the most coveted. How? By taking it all the way back to the sample and knowing the black tongue fit better to the overall look and yet again fixed what the original team left behind. This is what Hiroshi does. This is what you can expect from his Jordan collabs. See the 3. Something that shouldve always been there but wasnt, and shaped how theyre supposed to be within the restraints of nike’s current manufacturing capabilities. For instance, he can do his thing with the upper because thats not the expensive part to alter. Best believe the guy wouldve put the same or similar midsole/outsole you see on the sample new beginnings. If his work is anything to go by hes probably extremely happy to see the new mold coming and also why if theres a new frag 1 i believe itll just be an updated 2014 with nice materials as a retro. He did his job well enough the first time.

I understand what you're getting at - he saw a void and he filled it. But to me a collab should bring out a new distinct look to the sneaker - not just make a colorway that hasn't been done before, regardless of the quality of the material.

Even the upcoming Dior collab, as basic as the design is, looks quite different than any other Jordan 1 with its larger Swoosh and Dior imprinted throughout.

Last edited:
I understand what you're getting at - he saw a void and he filled it. But to me a collab should bring out a new distinct look to the sneaker - not just make a colorway that hasn't been done before, regardless of the quality of the material.

Even the upcoming Dior collab, as basic as the design is, looks quite different than any other Jordan 1 with its larger Swoosh and Dior imprinted throughout.
It did look quite different to other jordsn 1s at the time of release. That was a huge part of its appeal

U on point with this topic
1576168055882.jpeg

Yeah bro I would hold off on those. Something just screams not legit to me. The middle looks off. $900 is a lot to risk on fakes if u ask me.

Union BT.jpg

Recently picked up storm blues off of Stockx to complete the set but they came without the hangtag. I intend to wear them so it doesn't really matter but something about paying resale and getting an incomplete set that doesn't sit right with me. They offered a full refund but the next lowest ask is $300 more than I paid. I wouldn't pay anything more for the hangtag so I'll probably just keep this pair. I'm surprised they let that sort of thing fly though.. smh.

Back
Top Bottom