Air Jordan 3 "Fire Red" - White/Fire Red/Cement Grey - August 3rd (08-03-2013)

What elephant print do you want on the FR III's

• Dark elephant print (07's)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Light Elephant Print (OGs)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • WC Elephant Print (Katrina)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Let's put that to the test. I quickly put together a table with the retro shoe prices as laid out by scollard23 and the respective buying power for each year.

Some interesting things to note here: if we only go by inflation, you'd have to pay almost twice the money for the same 100 dollar shoes from 1988 in today's money. Is it just a coincidence that the WC Retro '88 retailed for 200? 8) Also, in regard to price increases, again if going only by inflation, the cost of a 2013 retro compared to a 2011 retro in today's money has actually decreased. The numbers really speak for themselves, it's very evident from the inflation corrected prices how the economy has changed throughout the years (most notable the recent depression).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiacqqapzkzujbn/Photo 18.8.2013 1.35.43.png
Lovely chart. But the 3s released in 2011 were 150.View media item 543649

Last edited:
You idiots know nothing.

Price hike is due to DEMAND, not inflation. The proof is in the price of NON-HYPED shoes.

People want this crap so bad, suppliers are going to increase price.

Simple economics.

You idiots know nothing.

Price hike is due to DEMAND, not inflation. The proof is in the price of NON-HYPED shoes.

People want this crap so bad, suppliers are going to increase price.

Simple economics.

Lol, I already talked about the supply and demand curve.

Last edited:
I feel like we are all sitting at a big round table really having a well formulated debate about the price increase/lower quality of Jordans :lol: I haven't seen this topic derail yet with other people calling each other names and all that other childish ish lol

I feel like we are all sitting at a big round table really having a well formulated debate about the price increase/lower quality of Jordans
laugh.gif
I haven't seen this topic derail yet with other people calling each other names and all that other childish ish lol
roll.gif

I feel like we are all sitting at a big round table really having a well formulated debate about the price increase/lower quality of Jordans
laugh.gif
I haven't seen this topic derail yet with other people calling each other names and all that other childish ish lol
roll.gif

I feel like we are all sitting at a big round table really having a well formulated debate about the price increase/lower quality of Jordans :lol: I haven't seen this topic derail yet with other people calling each other names and all that other childish ish lol

Except for that one dude who called us all idiots lol this has been a great discussion.

It is always good to have discussions without it getting out of hand. There is really no point of getting angry. Worst thing that can happen is your wrong, but you learned something.

Except for that one dude who called us all idiots lol this has been a great discussion.

That guy just came at of no where and didn't read anything we wrote, lol.

I finally got my pair tonite, I'm pretty happy with them. If I miss out on the fear 3s ill grab another pair..... As far as the price increase, I'm sure all the kids who just jumped on the JB train, they probably think these crazy prices have always been the norm. So to them it's just 160 or 175.00 it's not like they care about materials, they just want to be cool like their friends

Hey guys don't ever buy from that Dickssporting place. My box was all messed up and so was the card. I can understand maybe the box was mishandled during shipping but how the heck did the card inside get jacked up.

Lol @ inflation, materials and labor.
The shoes cost 25 bucks max a pair to make. The real reason is Nike needs to keep a premium price point.
You think a two tone rolex submariner had 10k in materials? Or a 5k chanel bag? Of course not. But if they priced Jordan's @ $100 today, even though they would be making profit, they would sell less because they are "cheap". Anyone buying the trunners, or cp3s, here? Not really. But materials are probably better than retro Jordan's.

The shoes cost 25 bucks max a pair to make. The real reason is Nike needs to keep a premium price point.
You think a two tone rolex submariner had 10k in materials? Or a 5k chanel bag? Of course not. But if they priced Jordan's @ $100 today, even though they would be making profit, they would sell less because they are "cheap". Anyone buying the trunners, or cp3s, here? Not really. But materials are probably better than retro Jordan's.

interesting points,but no.The reason cp3s arent selling as retros is design,history,hype.Not that they are expensive.Cost is the result of all these i described. not the reason.Oh and i believe they cost nike like 10 bucks to make a pair , not 25

Last edited:
Hey guys don't ever buy from that Dickssporting place. My box was all messed up and so was the card. I can understand maybe the box was mishandled during shipping but how the heck did the card inside get jacked up.
That probably wasn't DSG fault unless the outside box was perfect and the inside was crushed. I bought 2 pairs from there and got mint condition boxes both times. The box was also the perfect size for the shoes. No sliding around inside. I can understand your frustration but IMO it's not the norm.

So, you "Lol" at the rational, well-informed, educated discussion about inflation, labor costs and materials and go on to suggest that retros are expensive because no one would buy them if they were cheaper. Wow... that's some twisted logic right there lol

Order my pair from FNL on Thursday. Still no shipping confirmation. I've resigned myself to accept the forthcoming cancellation.

If you read my post on the previous page, that's exactly what I said about the premium standard:

Finally, add to the fact that Air Jordans are always hailed as the must have sneakers any collector should buy, that's why you have people going crazy over Concords and making it to the news in bad taste. If it hadn't been for the Banned commercial and ad campaign in the early days of Air Jordan, the shoes would have been sitting on the shelves until they were handed off to second hand chains and discount stores. We wouldn't have any Retros then, or anything Air Jordan. The brand is a premium one and demands its own price tag: you're not buying Nike shoes, you're buying Jordans. That's why they have a Jumpman on them, not (only) the Swoosh. That's why NikeStore has a separate section for Jordan clothes, shoes, and gear. All of these reasons are factors in determining the final price of the sneakers. Some weigh more than the others, but overall this is what you have to work with if you want to dissect the cost of the final product.

Wth you talkin bout lol if they sold retail for 1hunnah I'd be buying J's every week

are the insoles in the threes removeable mine seem like then dint want to come out and i dint want to force it 

yea mine seemed glued so im not going to force them out i was jw because i never had a pair of threes 

Back
Top Bottom