Air Jordan 4 x UNION LA Thread

The NB x ALD preorder is 100% the best way to go at this point…A guaranteed pair is a guarantee pair…It’s not like all of us don’t already have closets full of sneakers to wear while we wait 🤷‍♂️
I agree. I’d have ZERO issues with a preorder system for ANY pair of kicks I’d want. The limited nature of a pair of shoes I’d want or own does nothing for me, and has never been a motivating factor. And I’m more than fine with waiting the whatever amount of months I’d have to wait. However, I also know there’s issues/headaches that this type of a system would cause from a production/supply standpoint.

The wait is one thing…. 6,7,8 months later is bad business.
You really think the longer wait would be bad business? The one thing that I can think of off of the top of my head that would potentially be negative, is how long exactly would all of the energy/hype surrounding a pair still be alive, so many months after initially being bought?

You really think the longer wait would be bad business? The one thing that I can think of off of the top of my head that would potentially be negative, is how long exactly would all of the energy/hype surrounding a pair still be alive, so many months after initially being bought?

I think it’s wrong to take peoples money that far in advance. Preorders should be 3-4 months max. 4 is actually pushing it. Of course everyone will go along with it, so maybe “bad business” isn’t the best phrasing, but it comes across negatively when you really look at it.

I think it’s wrong to take peoples money that far in advance. Preorders should be 3-4 months max. 4 is actually pushing it. Of course everyone will go along with it, so maybe “bad business” isn’t the best phrasing, but it comes across negatively when you really look at it.
The other risk is if you do preorders, and everyone is guaranteed a pair, it will inevitably affect the hype factor, and you know Nike will never risk that.
Yeah I guess I didn’t really think about the notion of having the money gone/taken so far in advance. I can see people not being fans of that.
The current timeline is people like us hear/see leaks, the leaks are all over the ‘net, then people pontificate what actual pairs are gonna look like, we then see those pairs finally, then release dates are rumored, eventually we get concrete release info, there’s the buildup to the release, there’s the pandemonium surrounding the release, then people getting the pairs either that day or days later with shipping and resale. With the preorder system, having a 6-8 month gap between when pairs are paid for, and then actually landing would be different. The hype would definitely be diminished by then, and to many even forgotten. Especially since we live in such a microwave society, and a society where what’s hyped today is forgotten next week.

I guess I’d be perfectly fine with all of this, but I can see the companies not being too keen, in particular with the hype/demand/energy aspect.

You guys forgetting about Tesla pre-orders? Basically hundreds of millions of dollars in free loans with 1-2 years wait. And there's often complexity around people having to replace their current vehicle, which may not last as long as the pre-order delivery, so they have to figure out whether to maintain/repair, go without it, etc.

Pre-ordering a pair of shoes and waiting 6-8 months likely wouldn't impact much. There will still be demand when they hit shelves. More likely to impact resellers than the hype or brand value.

Yeah I guess I didn’t really think about the notion of having the money gone/taken so far in advance. I can see people not being fans of that.
The current timeline is people like us hear/see leaks, the leaks are all over the ‘net, then people pontificate what actual pairs are gonna look like, we then see those pairs finally, then release dates are rumored, eventually we get concrete release info, there’s the buildup to the release, there’s the pandemonium surrounding the release, then people getting the pairs either that day or days later with shipping and resale. With the preorder system, having a 6-8 month gap between when pairs are paid for, and then actually landing would be different. The hype would definitely be diminished by then, and to many even forgotten. Especially since we live in such a microwave society, and a society where what’s hyped today is forgotten next week.

I guess I’d be perfectly fine with all of this, but I can see the companies not being too keen, in particular with the hype/demand/energy aspect.

If a company like Nike were to do it, it would have to be a one off type release every blue moon. Like a pair that is so in demand (Chicago 1 as an example) they can get away with pulling that off and preserving the hype and demand. No one is gonna lose interest in those. Still, it’s basically a 0% shot it ever happens.

You guys forgetting about Tesla pre-orders? Basically hundreds of millions of dollars in free loans with 1-2 years wait. And there's often complexity around people having to replace their current vehicle, which may not last as long as the pre-order delivery, so they have to figure out whether to maintain/repair, go without it, etc.

Pre-ordering a pair of shoes and waiting 6-8 months likely wouldn't impact much. There will still be demand when they hit shelves. More likely to impact resellers than the hype or brand value.
I think a high dollar amount and priced investment like that of a Tesla, is quite different than a $150-250 shoe. The mindset and mentality of buying a car, an expensive one at that, and the targeted audience, is a different game then when we’re talking about shoes. Also, cars have a much different lifecycle then shoes. The average household owns 1.88 cars, while men on average (not talking about people like us) average like 12 pairs of shoes, and women even more. So adding a car to one’s life is a much more involved and thought out decision than another pair of kicks.

I think there would still be demand, but unfortunately (and companies won’t openly admit it) I think they do feed off of the resell pandemonium. And knowing that the preorder model would strongly impact that, I don’t think they’d go that route on a large scale.

If a company like Nike were to do it, it would have to be a one off type release every blue moon. Like a pair that is so in demand (Chicago 1 as an example) they can get away with pulling that off and preserving the hype and demand. No one is gonna lose interest in those. Still, it’s basically a 0% shot it ever happens.
I don’t think there’s a ZERO chance of it happening, especially with NB doing it to a small degree. We’ll see it eventually I feel, even if it’s a single release here or there. I’m with you on doing it on like iconic pairs. A preorder on the Chi 1s would have ZERO impact on that release, or the love/hype/energy surrounding that the pair IMO.

I don’t think there’s a ZERO chance of it happening, especially with NB doing it to a small degree. We’ll see it eventually I feel, even if it’s a single release here or there. I’m with you on doing it on like iconic pairs. A preorder on the Chi 1s would have ZERO impact on that release, or the love/hype/energy surrounding that the pair IMO.
They’ll do it when a company rakes in billions. Just part of business. They’ll copy whichever model that is most profitable. Just look at apple. When they opened up iPhones to other carriers. Their revenue exploded astronomically.

They’ll do it when a company rakes in billions. Just part of business. They’ll copy whichever model that is most profitable. Just look at apple. When they opened up iPhones to other carriers. Their revenue exploded astronomically.
I hope you’re right, as I’d have no problem with it. But again, when we’re talking about Tesla or iPhones, we’re talking about items that not only are higher investment items for consumers, but also items that have a lot longer lifespans. There isn’t a new iPhone or Tesla dropping every single week, and individuals aren’t buying multiple Tesla’s and iPhones resulting in collections of Tesla’s and iPhones. Even the people that I know that are diehard iPhone fans are maybe buying a new iPhone once a year. Would Nike/JB make more money if they went the preorder route? Initially I think so. But I think fashion is way too temperamental of an industry to think that pairs are gonna be just as hyped in 8 months every time. I think it would dramatically affect the hype/resell concept, and Nike/JB lives for that stuff. I could maybe imagine them doing this type of a system with a couple pairs here and there over the span of a year, but it won’t be a regular thing IMO. And IMO it definitely wouldn’t be something they do with these unique collabs and such. An iconic Jordan pair/colorway? Maybe. A Union or Trav or Frag or OW? I’d be SHOCKED.

Did a lace swap on the guavas. Union should’ve done this from the jump… the shoe flows way better with cream

464171FC-A43E-4B9D-8E37-9BFBFCD9DECD.jpeg
6B1F263A-94B1-481A-8B16-063AC24115F4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom