Air Jordan 5 OG “Black Metallic” Returning 2025 !

Was cleaning up photos on my laptop and discovered this pic of my 07s from 2017. My absolute favorite shoe to beat up.

IMG_6449.jpeg

img01.jpg

Air-Jordan-5-Fire-Red-Sneaker-Talk.jpg

someone broke it down very well how the black tongue is far inferior to the silver tongue in the 2020 fire red V thread

biggest thing for me is the black midsole on the toe
From a visual standpoint, the 3M Fire Reds are definitely cleaner in the sense that, the hierarchy of the colors is simple and easy to see. The pristine white upper that makes up the majority of the shoe contrasts nicely against the all black midsole and both are then complimented by the Fire Red accents provided by the 'Nike Air', shark teeth, Jumpman (both on the tongue and beneath the clear outsole), and the inner lining. Then there's the smooth, grey 3M tongue to top it all off. They're eye catching due to how well the colors flow together to create the colorway itself.

The Black Tongues on the other have a much harsher contrast going on between the fire red midsole and accents against the all white upper, the black midsole accents, '23' drop shadow, shark teeth, 'Nike Air', upper eyestay for the laces and last but not least, the tongue. While there definitely is still a hierarchy to the colors, the placement of the colors causes contrasting that makes it feel like the colors are all fighting for top spot. The Black Tongue 5s are chaotic. They aren't as simple and refined as their 3M Tongued brother. But, it's that same chaos that makes it hard to pull your eyes away from a clean pair of Black Tongues. Both are great shoes, but I personally prefer the Black Tongues.
Screenshot_20240412_142526_Instagram.jpg
(photo from tmargotkickss on Instagram)
the-most-memorable-shoes-by-mj-in-the-last-dance.jpg
GDMGi7FWcAAktds.jpg

Last edited:
The black tongues are a fine shoe.

But I can't imagine a fit I would prefer to put them on over the Fire Red IV's or the the silver tongue Fire red 5's. They get the same treatment as the FR3's from me.

Which is redundant and unnecessary.

Black Tongues > Fire Reds. Have felt that was since I was a kid, and I'll stand on it.
I agree, though I like both. But if I could only have one 5 the rest of my life I’m picking Metallics without question. I tend to favor black colorways on most models.

1s - bred
2s - black/cement (even though it ain’t an og)
3s - black cement
4s - black cement
5s - metallic
6s - black infared
7s - charcoal/playoffs
8s - aqua or playoffs tied
9s - charcoals
10s - chicagos
11s - playoffs (favorite shoe ever)
12s - white reds
13s - black reds
14s - last shots

So technically only the 10s and 12s are the models where a white based colorway is my favorite, though I like plenty of other white/red J’s. The Carmine 6 is probably in my top 10.

Last edited:
Alright, this could be fun. Shall we start a separate thread?

1s - Chicago with black laces
2s - white/black/red (the ones he wore)
3s - white cement
4s - black cement
5s - metallic
6s - black infared
7s - charcoal/playoffs
8s - aqua
9s - white/black (olive close second)
10s - Sonics
11s - concord/playoff tie
12s - black/white
13s - navy low
14s - royal low

I was just telling my younger bro I need a black tongue fire red 5 w/nike air. Never owned them during my sneaker journey

1. Chicago
2. Chicago
3. White cement
4. White cement
5. Reflective tongue fire red/Metallics (tie for all time favorites)
6. black infrared
7. cardinal
8. aqua
9. black white or olives
10. steel
11. black red
12. white red
13. flint
14. oxidized green

Silver Tongue 5,s over the Black Tongue 5,s all day. Silver Tongue 5,s are way more better on the eyes visually, plus they're easier to get off on a casual everyday perspective. Black tongue 5,s are more difficult to wear on a daily basis in comparison. Because you have to go out of your way, to put certain colored clothes with them. The all black midsole on the silver tongue 5,s is way easier to pull off on a daily basis, when it comes to pulling off fits with them. You don't have to always wear red clothing with them every day. You can go with white or black solids, or even with fatigue, or clothing that have different hits of colors, just not too much though.

I always thought it was too much red on the midsole of the black tongue 5,s. I barely wore them back in the day, because of it. It was always threw off certain outfits in my mind, with me over thinking that I had to go the matchy matchy with them. Yeah you can wear whatever you want or like, but that predominately red midsole always turned me off. The Silver tongue 5,s are more simpler and vibrant at the same time. That Colorway is the personification of perfection, simple colors, but it'll still grab your attention, especially in the summer time.

Silver Tongue 5,s over the Black Tongue 5,s all day. Silver Tongue 5,s are way more better on the eyes visually, plus they're easier to get off on a casual everyday perspective. Black tongue 5,s are more difficult to wear on a daily basis in comparison. Because you have to go out of your way, to put certain colored clothes with them. The all black midsole on the silver tongue 5,s is way easier to pull off on a daily basis, when it comes to pulling off fits with them. You don't have to always wear red clothing with them every day. You can go with white or black solids, or even with fatigue, or clothing that have different hits of colors, just not too much though.

I always thought it was too much red on the midsole of the black tongue 5,s. I barely wore them back in the day, because of it. It was always threw off certain outfits in my mind, with me over thinking that I had to go the matchy matchy with them. Yeah you can wear whatever you want or like, but that predominately red midsole always turned me off. The Silver tongue 5,s are more simpler and vibrant at the same time. That Colorway is the personification of perfection, simple colors, but it'll still grab your attention, especially in the summer time.
They are literally the same colors 😂. The black and red soles are just inverted depending on whichever fire red. People only like the Silver tongue because of its reflective. I like how the Grapes and black tongue fire reds are pretty much the same color blocking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom