Air Jordan 5 Retro 'Fire Red' 2013 Vol: No 23

I'm happy with my pair, but you guys notice how heavy these are?
sick.gif

I wish I had a scale to weigh them compared to the my other 5s but they are significantly heavier.. Probably because of the leather difference.
Glad you mentioned that! These things are TANKS, I still can't believe how much heavier they are then the other recent releases. I was wondering if it's cause of this stupid leather too
mean.gif
I can't imagine balling in these at all.. because of the weight, leather, and how stiff they are.

It's funny how in 2000, the V's retailed for $120 (with full grain leather), yet in 2013 for $160 (we only get split grain w/ polyurethane). Where did the $40 price increase go towards? Has leather really gone up that much?

Last edited:
So your point is to never question why JB switched to the cheaper materials and that we should never question it? There's other companies that use "full grain leather" in there shoes. The price of Jordan's continues to GO UP, then why does the QUALITY GO DOWN?

And there's a reason I would never buy another Ford, my German car uses FULL GRAIN LEATHER, which is why it still looks good years later.
To maximize profit.

Logically we're thinking, since we're gonna give them more money, they'll have more to spend on quality materials.

Realistically though, they're thinking, since we're giving them more money, they'll make it with lower cost materials so they can keep more of that extra money we just gave them.

This is like when a company gains a great amount of profit, then decides to hire more part-timers instead of full-timers. They get to put more bodies to work, but they also don't have to pay for full-time benefits... to maximize profit.

Last edited:
i can understand if your delivery driver or mailman skips you on purpose for the threats. I know a majority of my customers and can tell when they're home or not just from simple observations. Also helps when customers show me love during the holidays. I'll make sure I look out for your packages. But if you get stupid with me or threaten me just to make yourself look cool, I'll go out of my way to make it a b**** to get your precious package. Ain't nothing worse than some fool acting like they're better than me. But I pretty much know everything about them. Fancy car but living in an apartment? Yeah, they got their priorities in check.

I don't threaten them with bodily harm... that would just be flat out ignorant. What I can't tolerate is a delivery driver that takes decisions into their own hands on whether its important or not that I get my delivery. There are certain signs you drivers leave that indicate a valid attempt or not. I threaten with letters and calls.

Nobody held a gun to your head to be a driver. If I can do my job 100% then so can you. Dont lie about delivery attempts or skip my house and we're good. My mail man is still a richard, but me and the brown guy have always been good, its fedex that irritated me.

So your point is to never question why JB switched to the cheaper materials and that we should never question it? There's other companies that use "full grain leather" in there shoes. The price of Jordan's continues to GO UP, then why does the QUALITY GO DOWN?

And there's a reason I would never buy another Ford, my German car uses FULL GRAIN LEATHER, which is why it still looks good years later.

Mercedes Benz actually owns a farm, just for leather for the cars they build....that should shed some light on the cost of leather if a company like that would rather buy a huge farm, compared to buying outsourced leather.

Let me speak some knowledge young lad, I am 32 years old. I have been apart of the Jordan sneaker community since before it was popular, and I can tell you, Jordan's have always had workmanship/quality issues. But that is another topic.

Anyway, the prices are going up because..well the prices for materials are on the rise. Like I said, it's not only affecting shoes. Freight alone has more than double in the last 15 years. That means if it cost $100 to ship 10 pairs, it now cost $200 to ship the same amount of pairs. For Nike, multiply that by millions. The cheaper materials that we see are actually more than likely more expensive than the same "better" materials from years ago. Chinese labor is cost has been rising, automotive companies are looking in to producing parts in the states now. Go to McDonalds, the Big Mac is smaller, and more expensive...pretty much a Retro of the original. Lol. Why should sneakers be excluded from inflation?

What I am trying to say is, the price these companies contribute are going up, so the consumers prices will rise, to keep prices from having a huge spike, they usually cut corners. Like that Big Mac for example, could have stayed the same size, but for $10.. They chose a smaller sandwich for $5.

My logic may be a little twisted, but you get the point right? Simple Economics

Mercedes Benz actually owns a farm, just for leather for the cars they build....that should shed some light on the cost of leather if a company like that would rather buy a huge farm, compared to buying outsourced leather.

Let me speak some knowledge young lad, I am 32 years old. I have been apart of the Jordan sneaker community since before it was popular, and I can tell you, Jordan's have always had workmanship/quality issues. But that is another topic.

Anyway, the prices are going up because..well the prices for materials are on the rise. Like I said, it's not only affecting shoes. Freight alone has more than double in the last 15 years. That means if it cost $100 to ship 10 pairs, it now cost $200 to ship the same amount of pairs. For Nike, multiply that by millions. The cheaper materials that we see are actually more than likely more expensive than the same "better" materials from years ago. Chinese labor is cost has been rising, automotive companies are looking in to producing parts in the states now. Go to McDonalds, the Big Mac is smaller, and more expensive...pretty much a Retro of the original. Lol. Why should sneakers be excluded from inflation?

What I am trying to say is, the price these companies contribute are going up, so the consumers prices will rise, to keep prices from having a huge spike, they usually cut corners. Like that Big Mac for example, could have stayed the same size, but for $10.. They chose a smaller sandwich for $5.

But you're missing one important point. JB IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE MERCEDES BENZ OF SHOES!

I'm the same age as you, so you should remember how these shoes were the highest priced sneakers back in the day. I remember in middle school parents would call Nike and get a FREE PAIR OF SHOES because they wore out too quickly. Nike used to really stand behind the Air Jordan "quality" and that's why they would offer free pairs and in store credits AFTER people wore them.

Do you remember those days? Cause I do.. and am not going to just be OK with the global perception that we should just automatically pay more and expect less. Since when did Jordan shoes go from being the MERCEDES of the shoe game to a BUICK?

I understand your economic argument, but for that to be 100% true Jordan sneakers still have to be at the TOP OF THERE GAME, like Mercedes is. That's WHY Mercedes can get away with Mercedes pricing, because they still offer the best.

Last edited:
Yeah, they were. To be honest, the quality does not match up with the name. But it has never, OG were OGs, nothing to compare them to, so of course they looked flawless. The 5's I got this time around are awful, pretty sure everyone say may pictures. And that has nothing to do with the quality of leather used, it's the workmanship and the lack of a quality control department.

I completely understand what you are saying, Jordan's are supposed to be the best of the best...smh

Yeah, they were. To be honest, the quality does not match up with the name. But it has never, OG were OGs, nothing to compare them to, so of course they looked flawless. The 5's I got this time around are awful, pretty sure everyone say may pictures. And that has nothing to do with the quality of leather used, it's the workmanship and the lack of a quality control department.

I completely understand what you are saying, Jordan's are supposed to be the best of the best...smh
But that's the whole reason I used the 2000 Air Jordan V's as an example.. because they aren't OG's but still had OG "quality".

We all deserve better than this from JB, lets face it guys.. the new V's are a FAIL
mean.gif

BTW, you had some good points!

But that's the whole reason I used the 2000 Air Jordan V's as an example.. because they aren't OG's but still had OG "quality".

We all deserve better than this from JB, lets face it guys.. the new V's are a FAIL :smh:

BTW, you had some good points!

Yep, I took my complaints to twitter, as we all should do. They are nothing with out us, the sooner we all realize that the better. I was just thinking about all my other kicks I own without all the flaws my Jordan's have. I have a pair of black cement 4, also came from Nike.com that you won't believe how bad they are, seriously someone should be fired. No idea why I kept them. My 5's did up being free though, but as far a Jordan's, I think I'm pretty much done.

Last edited:
everybody who has a problem with quality should just ship it back to nike... like i did. :D.

jordan brand has everybody by their balls, you don't HAVE TO have every shoe they put out.

i was looking forward to these so much, but i guess maybe the next re-re-re-re-re-re-retro of these in the future will have better quality. i can only hope. :smh:.

No matter how much people complain about the leather on here, retro's will still continue to sell out, JB will continue making shoes with cheaper material while raising the price, and we will still buy.

People have to understand, Jordan's are worn more casually than they are worn on the court now. Even though we would all love "quality" materials, if they can cut corners and save money while making it. Why not? Then with that being said.. JB has such a loyal fan base, they can put just about any retro out and it will sell, regardless of materials used.

Got both my pair in the mail today.. Satisfied & the leather was not as bad as dudes on here made it out to be. Yes it's different, but it doesn't take anything away from this shoe IMO. As far as sizing, you can go a half size down, as stated previously before. If you want to play it safe, I suggest going TTS & using a pair of force fields.

No matter how much people complain about the leather on here, retro's will still continue to sell out, JB will continue making shoes with cheaper material while raising the price, and we will still buy.

People have to understand, Jordan's are worn more casually than they are worn on the court now. Even though we would all love "quality" materials, if they can cut corners and save money while making it. Why not? Then with that being said.. JB has such a loyal fan base, they can put just about any retro out and it will sell, regardless of materials used.

Got both my pair in the mail today.. Satisfied & the leather was not as bad as dudes on here made it out to be. Yes it's different, but it doesn't take anything away from this shoe IMO. As far as sizing, you can go a half size down, as stated previously before. If you want to play it safe, I suggest going TTS & using a pair of force fields.
And this is why they continue to keep making TRASH
mean.gif

Why would you need force fields on these.. they're steel toes!? That would turn these into combat boots.

Last edited:
To maximize profit.

Logically we're thinking, since we're gonna give them more money, they'll have more to spend on quality materials.
Realistically though, they're thinking, since we're giving them more money, they'll make it with lower cost materials so they can keep more of that extra money we just gave them.

This is like when a company gains a great amount of profit, then decides to hire more part-timers instead of full-timers. They get to put more bodies to work, but they also don't have to pay for full-time benefits... to maximize profit.

^this

Econ 101 at its finest!
Nike maximizes profits by not only minimizing cost but also maximizing revenue.

I am pretty sure enough hypebeast/hipsters/youngbucks will buy their product regardless of quality and Nike will still see a decent profit. Hence why quality is dropping and we are left here to complain (OG's).

When youngins cop J's because Kanye West, Chris Brown, etc., rocks them, Nike will stay winning. The majority dont even ball in their J's anymore, so what use is quality (Nike's Viewpoint).

Last edited:
^this

Econ 101 at its finest!
Nike maximizes profits by not only minimizing cost but also maximizing revenue.

I am pretty sure enough hypebeast/hipsters/youngbucks will buy their product regardless of quality and Nike will still see a decent profit. Hence why quality is dropping and we are left here to complain (OG's).

When youngins cop J's because Kanye West, Chris Brown, etc., rock them Nike will stay winning. The majority dont even ball in their J's anymore, so what use is quality.
But at what point is enough for you? When they switch to synthetic materials completely? Every Bulls game I've seen this year has players wearing current retro's.. so they do wear them ON COURT. I haven't seen the V's on court though..

Last edited:
saw a dude wearing these, why did the laces look so white and the leather look so tan?, lookin realllllllllllll bootlegged

And this is why they continue to keep making TRASH :smh:

Why would you need force fields on these.. they're steel toes!? That would turn these into combat boots.

Not saying that its acceptable by any means.. You in here trying to incite riots over leather that we have seen before. We all know & understand materials have went down hill over the years. No point in ranting over the same issue..

I suggested force fields to those going TTS to fill that space if these felt a little big..

But at what point is enough for you? When they switch to synthetic materials completely? Every Bulls game I've seen this year has players wearing current retro's.. so they do wear them ON COURT. I haven't seen the V's on court though..
I am just about done copping GR after the blk/royal 1's drop, with a once in a blue moon exception. The quality of every GR retro+ has shown a steady decline for years now. I rather try my luck with QS/LR/Packs because quality has shown to be better time and time again. 

Unless players are swapping out the insole cushions, I dont see how anyone could play ball in retros that dropped in the last 2+ years.

Last edited:
Not saying that its acceptable by any means.. You in here trying to incite riots over leather that we have seen before. We all know & understand materials have went down hill over the years. No point in ranting over the same issue..

I suggested force fields to those going TTS to fill that space if these felt a little big..

They do fit sorta big, roomy up front but tight around the foot.

Nike is not gonna change the materials being used as far as leather but we can force the quality we are receiving to increase. When you get missing words, upside down logos and scratches that usually means there is no quality checks. We are the consumers, hold them accountable for that. I got swift results on behalf of my Fire Red 5's. but the fact remains, there should be nothing to complain about on a $160 shoe. Again, not talking about the quality of the leather, just the craftsmanship.

:smh: Dudes complain about $160 retail, they are €170 RETAIL in Europe... sittin in most FLs at that :rolleyes

i dont really see whats so wrong about the leather yea we know its not the same but im just not a fan of soft leather in sneakers idc if the creases look natural or w.e. cuz im not trying to have any creases what so ever and its been working pretty good 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom