Air Jordan 5 Retro 'Fire Red' 2013 Vol: No 23

On my way home from work... My pair is waiting for me. Anxious to see these in person. My mall sold out on release day so I couldn't check em out.

Edit: just got home... Def not impressed with these, but I know my 99s won't last forever... These damn things feel like they're steel toe :smh:

Last edited:
The 3M looks good to me. Not sure why people were complaining earlier in the thread.

The leather is truly terrible. I knew from reviews it wasn't "the greatest leather" but this is the worst pair in my lineup. Very stiff and cheap looking. It'll be interesting to see how they age. I'll keep it just for the sentimental value. Definitely not getting the grapes. 

This is my first pair of retros. I typically buy standard Nike, Adidas, and New Balance. If the $200 3s aren't dramatically better then I'm done with retros. 

You can't possibly be talking about materials. Not a speck of real leather is on these things.

It actually has split grain leather that is polyurethane coated. I know leather, plus the scratch on my Pair from NDC took some of the coating off and revealed it, lol. True though!

can't wait to see this grape thread in may...........cats going to be like 'this leather is so buttery........the jumpman is perfect center.......this blue tinted sole is perfect'..........meanwhile jb will use the same material as these which to me is holding up well on my pair. the true test will be allstar weekend at the galleria mall. 

It actually has split grain leather that is polyurethane coated. I know leather, plus the scratch on my Pair from NDC took some of the coating off and revealed it, lol. True though!
Why would they coat them with polyurethane!? Isn't that why they're so stiff and unnatural
ohwell.gif

I just heard the Bug's VIII's might be using this same leather, the Grape V's will also.. HOW MANY RETROS WILL BE RUINED WITH THIS POLYURETHANE COATED SPLIT GRAIN LEATHER!?

All we're asking for is a decent white leather
mean.gif

Last edited:
You all kill me with this "off-centered" Jumpman talk. "It's a millimeter off... JB sucks!" LMFAO. NT is pure entertainment.

You all kill me with this "off-centered" Jumpman talk. "It's a millimeter off... JB sucks!" LMFAO. NT is pure entertainment.
When you open the box and see shiny pleather that's stiff as some steel toe cowboy boots, and then you take the shoe out to

see they couldn't even line the jumpman logo up.. it warrants discussion.

These things needs real steel toes and some boot spurs..

This release really pissed me off, not because of the Fire Red V's.. but because of the white leather that's going to be on other upcoming Jordans
mean.gif

Last edited:
Why would they coat them with polyurethane!? Isn't that why they're so stiff and unnatural :\

I just heard the Bug's VIII's might be using this same leather, the Grape V's will also.. HOW MANY RETROS WILL BE RUINED WITH THIS POLYURETHANE COATED SPLIT GRAIN LEATHER!?

All we're asking for is a decent white leather :smh:

Yeah, the coating makes it stiffer, but more sturdy and it would last a lot longer than leather alone. The seats in cars are the same way, they have to be coated to prevent bleeding and other damage only difference is most of the time cars have full grain, compared to shoes being split grain. People are so quick to complain, you have to first recognize the benefits before you down the quality of the materials being used.

Last edited:
Yeah, the coating makes it stiffer, but more sturdy and it would last a lot longer than leather alone. The seats in cars are the same way, they have to be coated to prevent bleeding and other damage only difference is most of the time cars have full grain, compared to shoes being split grain. People are so quick to complain, you have to first recognize the benefits before you down the quality of the materials being used.
I'm quick to complain because I actually owned the Air Jordan V "White/Metallic" that came out in 2000. Those were the days where I would actually receive an Eastbay ctalog in the mail and phone my order through (like I did with these), which were on clearance at the time. I wore those things to the ground, and they didn't have this leather at all. The leather was completely different and not stiff. It lasted me 2+ years in those shoes, so yeah I would say the leather on the 2000 V's held up pretty darn good.

Before you're quick to judge, realize some of us have owned retro pairs before.. so we have a "base" to compare these new ones to. You can see how "soft" the leather is if you look at the pic below at the area where the laces start. You can see the leather actually has some creases because of how soft it was. I loved that leather.

Last edited:
I found a good article on why JB changed the leather >

"Material – Something else that has changed due to the casual wearer… the leather uppers. This particular colorway has a leather upper that is comprised of a ‘split’ grain. I went over this briefly in my video review featuring the Air Jordan IV Retro. Its far to complicated to go over here but its basically a cheaper way to manufacture leather and the U.S. determines anything with leather used as a full grain even though it isn’t. After the manufacturer spits the leather they place a top coat, usually made from polyurethane, over the top and it ends up looking like leather but its far more rigid… this saves the brand money while they still use ‘Full Grain’ leather and it helps with creasing. Unfortunate but true…

One good thing about this type of leather is that its durable. It will eventually crack once the top coat gets dried out but when being put through the rigors of on-court action it will hold up a lot better than premium Full Grain leather. This doesn’t mean I prefer the use of this type of leather but I figured I try to explain the pros and cons… personally, I prefer actual leather since there is less break-in time required."

http://nightwing2303.com/first-impression-air-jordan-iv-4-retro/

Last edited:
I'm quick to complain because I actually owned the Air Jordan V "White/Metallic" that came out in 2000. I wore those things to the ground, and they didn't have this leather at all. The leather was completely different and not stiff. It lasted me 2+ years in those shoes, so yeah I would say the leather on the 2000 V's held up pretty darn good.

Before you're quick to judge, realize some of us have owned retro pairs before.. so we have a "base" to compare these new ones to.

First, nobody is judging anyone. Second, What's the point of comparing? And to a older Retro...really. Anyway. Prices for leather have changed. If you continue to compare things as they were 13 years ago, life will pass you by. Companies are starting to use "leather alternatives" to ease the rising cost of leather. For example, go to a high end furniture store and pick the most expensive leather sofa, notice the newer products only contain real leather " where you touch". Meaning, only the areas that are frequently touched have real leather, others are synthetic. Another example is the use of sued or microfiber...this is getting big in automotive. My ZL1 is 80% suede, which is cheaper than leather. Pretty much every new Ford has half sued and half polyurethane coated leather.

Those soft leather III's ivs vs XIII's days are dead ... Get over it

Last edited:
:lol: :smh:
Just wear the damn shoes.Who have time just to checkout an off centered jumpman while walking?

Usually when a consumer pays a good amount for a product, the consumer should have every right to complain if there's a flaw in the product or in this case a b grade type of error.

Wait a minute, my bad I forgot that this is the Jordan brand section where that logic gets a pass. My bad.

Last edited:
I found a good article on why JB changed the leather >

"Material – Something else that has changed due to the casual wearer… the leather uppers. This particular colorway has a leather upper that is comprised of a ‘split’ grain. I went over this briefly in my video review featuring the Air Jordan IV Retro. Its far to complicated to go over here but its basically a cheaper way to manufacture leather and the U.S. determines anything with leather used as a full grain even though it isn’t. After the manufacturer spits the leather they place a top coat, usually made from polyurethane, over the top and it ends up looking like leather but its far more rigid… this saves the brand money while they still use ‘Full Grain’ leather and it helps with creasing. Unfortunate but true…
One good thing about this type of leather is that its durable. It will eventually crack once the top coat gets dried out but when being put through the rigors of on-court action it will hold up a lot better than premium Full Grain leather. This doesn’t mean I prefer the use of this type of leather but I figured I try to explain the pros and cons… personally, I prefer actual leather since there is less break-in time required."

http://nightwing2303.com/first-impression-air-jordan-iv-4-retro/

I just pretty much said the exact same thing. Polyurethane coated, it benefits us in the long run. Just like the blue tint everyone is also "complaining" about.

First, nobody is judging anyone. Second, What's the point of comparing? And to a older Retro...really. Anyway. Prices for leather have changed. If you continue to compare things as they were 13 years ago, life will pass you by. Companies are starting to use "leather alternatives" to ease the rising cost of leather. For example, go to a high end furniture store and pick the most expensive leather sofa, notice the newer products only contain real leather " where you touch". Meaning, only the areas that are frequently touched have real leather, others are synthetic. Another example is the use of sued or microfiber...this is getting big in automotive. My ZL1 is 80% suede, which is cheaper than leather. Pretty much every new Ford has half sued and half polyurethane coated leather.
So your point is to never question why JB switched to the cheaper materials and that we should never question it? There's other companies that use "full grain leather" in there shoes. The price of Jordan's continues to GO UP, then why does the QUALITY GO DOWN?

And there's a reason I would never buy another Ford, my German car uses FULL GRAIN LEATHER, which is why it still looks good years later.

I just pretty much said the exact same thing. Polyurethane coated, it benefits us in the long run. Just like the blue tint everyone is also "complaining" about.
I disagree, the older "softer" leather has proven to hold up. Have you ever owned a pair w the older leather? They lasted me over 2 years..

The new leather doesn't feel comfortable, and takes a LOT longer to break in.. And when that polyurethane finish wears down, the leather is done.

I'm happy with my pair, but you guys notice how heavy these are? :x

I wish I had a scale to weigh them compared to the my other 5s but they are significantly heavier.. Probably because of the leather difference.

Back
Top Bottom