Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

D6BF6632-35B3-4BBA-8F61-DB63CA6D4030.jpeg
Very pleased with these in hand!

Back in 99, I tried in these shoes in a shoe store called Soundfeet Shoes in Elizabeth City, NC. They were on sale at the time for $99. I tried them on, and decided not to get them. I wanted another shoe at the time.

Now I wish I would have gotten them. Back then, the retro game was as difficult.

Always love the throwback stories...

It’s a long read and I think I’ve posted my story in the past, but what the hell...Black / Red IV’s were the first Jordan’s I really wanted back in the day...My brother had a couple pairs of 1’s but that bug didn’t bite me until a few years later...Saw them in person late in the school year of ‘89...Went to the store to get my yearly birthday sneakers that July and my mom wasn’t even considering the price...Ended up with some AF2’s, which I loved, but they weren’t the Jordan’s...

Decided right then to save every bit of birthday money, allowances, and scratch I could until I had enough for them...Come December, with the cash I’d gotten from Christmas that year I had enough...Went to the store and they were long gone in my size...

Left dejected and empty handed...I was burned and didn’t even want to think about sneakers at that point...

Fast forward a couple months, my Forces we’re toast and my parents kept bugging me about how I needed a new pair...Finally settled on the Twilight Zone Pumps a friend of mine laced...Went to the store and THEY DIDN'T HAVE THEM IN MY SIZE!...I was done, ready to get some takedowns and leave, until my dad talked me into the Fire Red V’s (The NEW Jordan’s) that the salesman pulled out of the back saying they’d just got them in...Long story ~ long, my first Jordan’s were a pair that I got purely because the two other pairs I’d wanted weren’t available...

Loved the V’s just like every pair of shoes I’d gotten from that point on but they weren’t that fresh black and red pair I first saw...

When 1999 rolled around I ended up with three pairs wore them all to death...Got one pair of the CDP’s and hated them...Got one of the ‘12 pairs and really, really hated them...Here we are on the 2019’s and I’m looking for the double up on the 4th...

Not sure how any justification can be made. I too will be grabbing a pair for pure nostalgia, but ignoring issues like this just give JB the right to continue this trend of butchering their own shoes.

I don’t think it will happen again. But honestly if it did, wouldn’t be that big of a deal for me. I’m not ignoring that’s it off center, it just looks like they made the Swoosh too long and they had to make it work. So look at it from the perspective that the entire logo is centered , just not the word Nike.

some of you guys need to take an economics class and understand inflation nothing in 1999 cost the same as today.
I took enough econ classes to convince a couple universities to give me degrees in the subject.

First, $99 (probably $99.99) is somewhere around $151 in today's money. So these are much more expensive than the 99s from the jump.

Also, we are not getting comparable products in 2019 than we did in 1999. In an economics class they also talking about things like economies of scale, and labor cost.

JB is producing an inferior product at a higher scale with cheaper labor than what they did in 1999. So all things considered the margins on a pair of retro 4s is much better today than in 1999 for JB.

Last edited:
I took econough econ classes to convince a couple universities to give me degrees in the subject.

First, $99 (probably $99.99) is somewhere around $151 in today's money. So these are much more expensive than the 99s from the jump.

Also, we are not getting comparable products in 2019 than we did in 1999. In an economics class they also talking about things like economies of scale, and labor cost.

JB is producing an inferior product at a higher scale with cheaper labor than what they did in 1999. So all things considered the margins on a pair of retro 4s is much better today than in 1999 for JB.

ah so you forgot the rising cost of labor....

99s are superior. The 99 netting window doesn’t adhere to the mesh, it was movable/stretchable like the original. The plastic they use now is hard, fixed into place and will yellow in few years, look at the 2016s. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves and say dumb things like 19>99.

The 2019s are actually wearable. So everything you said there doesn’t matter. Take your nostalgia panties off.

ah so you forgot the rising cost of labor....
Dude please. If rising labor cost increased so much that it cost and extra $50 per pair they would move the factories out of China to somewhere else in southeast Asia.

You'll need to stop reaching to defend JB's actions like they have no other choice. They want to profit maximize, cool, they have investors to answer too. But me as a consumer don't have to cape for them.

Dude please. If rising labor cost expanded that much for them for it to warrant and extra $50 per pair they would move the factories out of China to somewhere else in southeast Asia.

You'll need to stop reaching to defend JB's actions like they have no other choice. They want to profit maximize, cool, they have investors to answer too. But me as a consumer don't have to cape for them.

na you reaching sooooooo the cost of labor in china in 99 is the same as 2019 lmfaoooooo stawp bruh you reaching not me its common sense really.

some of you guys need to take an economics class and understand inflation, nothing in 1999 cost the same as today.
Relax I was simply stating a fact. Dude said something about seeing them on sale for $99 but that was the actual retail price. Glad to hear you learned something in econ tho.

na you reaching sooooooo the cost of labor in china in 99 is the same as 2018 lmfaoooooo stawp bruh you reaching not me its common sense really.
Yes, it is probably higher per worker. Workers are also probably more productive because factories are more automated. So that offset some of the rising labor cost.

And you are ignoring the economics of scale aspect that also lowers the cost of producing each pair. Add to the fact we are clearly getting an inferior produce.

The cost of capital is also probably lower since the Chinese government has been investing infrastructure, and subsidies to lower energy cost for the industrial sector.

Again, JB would not tolerate $50 per pair being eaten up just by increasing labor cost.

Put your cape away famb, JB does not deserve it.

Yes, it is probably higher per worker. Workers are also probably more productive because factories are more automated. So that offset some of the rising labor cost.

And you are ignoring the economics of scale aspect that also lowers the cost of producing each.

The cost of capital is also probably lower since the Chinese government has been investing infrastructure, and subsidies to lower energy cost for the industrial sector.

Again, JB would not tolerate $50 per pair being eaten up just by labor cost.

Put your cape away.

*puts cape on* sooooo the variable cost to run electricity and cost of maintenance the same as 99? :emoji_thinking:

Back
Top Bottom