Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

The first retro corrected the flaws and left pretty much all the good stuff intact. Simple as that.
If you really think about it, this whole idea that the original version has to be the best really makes no sense and literally applies to almost nothing else. Is a computer from the 80s better than a modern one? Almost everything improves over time. There’s zero reason that we wouldn’t be able to improve something as simple as a sneaker that was designed and manufactured in the 80s. With JB, unfortunately, we’ve been conditioned to accept lesser versions over and over again but that really is only because they want it that way. They quite obviously tried to improve things with the original 1,3,4, and 5 retros. At some point during 2000 or so something changed and they made the business decision to veer sharply away from that concept and decided to destroy the designs rather than make slight improvements.

Not debating, I just have some genuine questions.

1.) The improvement you're talking about is on the tongues of the '99s? Were there other improvements elsewhere on the retros?

2.) What about leather quality? I would assume by 99 Nike was using a more mass-produced, cheaper, efficient leather. I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking.

‘99 BC 4s best shoe ever. Everything else is competing for second place (including og BC 4s).

6F2225B9-0E68-40B1-897C-9A9E09421524.gif

I will say the 99 BC IV is the best retro ever, but not better than the original.

Not debating, I just have some genuine questions.

1.) The improvement you're talking about is on the tongues of the '99s? Were there other improvements elsewhere on the retros?

2.) What about leather quality? I would assume by 99 Nike was using a more mass-produced, cheaper, efficient leather. I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking.
1) No, that’s pretty much the only noticeable change. The netting is a little different and the height of the shoe is maybe a smidge lower.
2) None of the ogs had real leather and the beauty of the 99s is that they actually still used synthetic materials on both the black and white cements. Both materials are actually better than their original ‘durabuck’ counterparts imo since they don’t seem to degrade as quickly or as much as the ogs while maintaining the same look and feel.

Anyone know what length fit 4s? Awhile back I got 45" laces for some 3s from lacelab. They were the perfect length. Does anyone know the appropriate size for 4s? Despite having stacks of 4s, I REALLY don't want to unlace one to measure as it's a b***ch to unlace & re-lace. I like to tie my shoes, so I don't want it super short. For 3s I don't use the top eyelet; for 4s I use one on the top waffle (usually middle). Any insight? Thank you!

I will never understand how a reproduction of an original can be better than. The late great @aquamanjay would say the same towards 1994 3, to their originals. I cannot see any version of a retro being better, than its original before it. Im not ever trying to downgrade any retro here. Just a thought. You can improve anything made originally. But they will always stand alone. Any reissue is worthless without inspiration from something before it.
I prefer 1994 (1995) 1's ONLY because they haven't had the same peeling issue as 1985's. For the sake of how they look these days, because I actually wear my 94's pretty regularly. I don't wanna wear no peeling sunburnt *** 1's.

Anyone know what length fit 4s? Awhile back I got 45" laces for some 3s from lacelab. They were the perfect length. Does anyone know the appropriate size for 4s? Despite having stacks of 4s, I REALLY don't want to unlace one to measure as it's a b***ch to unlace & re-lace. I like to tie my shoes, so I don't want it super short. For 3s I don't use the top eyelet; for 4s I use one on the top waffle (usually middle). Any insight? Thank you!
63".

I went tts (9.5). In my case, I have a bit of room. If I wore a 9, Im sure I could fit, granted Im sure it’d be snug, but loosen over time.
Appreciate it. I’ll likely size down. With that said, if anyone in Socal knows where to get a size 10.0 for a decent price holler at me.

v7rmguuwszeoe2we0trw.jpg
Air-Jordan-11-Bred-2019-Black-White-Varsity-Red-For-Sale-3.jpg
xvllirnxqmuamckeza1c.jpg

Easily my top 3. Those will never change.
I’ll bite.
8E52D266-66FC-41C4-A41F-7A4B10EC4C9A.jpeg
1021639A-D131-4092-9074-A3D0C17CDB5E.jpeg

After these two, it depends on the day what I think is next. BC or WC IV, FR and Metallic V, black-toe 13, white/red 12, black/red XI, OG black/red IE ...

Note the IIIs are only the **** when done like these OGs, not the crap retro WCs they’ve spat out incorrectly for years.

Last edited:
Wow....looks like a completely different shoe.
That's because it is a completely different shoe. Sadly, I didn't get into Jordans until the IVs, so I missed having the OG 3s. But I remember clear as day one of my teammates in 9th grade (about two years after the 3s had come and gone) pulling out his "old" white/cements and bringing them to practice to play in one day. I had never seen them up close before. The shape, the leather, the color and cut of the elephant print. Every time someone in a retro 3 thread says that those of us who complain are just whiners ... if I could pull a fresh OG pair out of a time machine and show them the shoe in person, they'd never say that **** again.

That's because it is a completely different shoe. Sadly, I didn't get into Jordans until the IVs, so I missed having the OG 3s. But I remember clear as day one of my teammates in 9th grade (about two years after the 3s had come and gone) pulling out his "old" white/cements and bringing them to practice to play in one day. I had never seen them up close before. The shape, the leather, the color and cut of the elephant print. Every time someone in a retro 3 thread says that those of us who complain are just whiners ... if I could pull a fresh OG pair out of a time machine and show them the shoe in person, they'd never say that **** again.

Interesting. In highschool when I had the WC4s, and I'd see someone wearing the 3s, and all that came to mind was how pathetic they looked....so basic and boring compared to the 4s. And the back tab on the 3s looks so unfinished and wimpy compared the 4s. Also, although it was probably just an illusion, the window to the air looked so much narrower on the 3s. The 4s appeared to have more air (i.e. cooler) even if that wasn't the case. You could tell the 4 was an evolution of the 3 in many ways. When the 4 came out, no one was pining for the 3s; that was so "last year's Jordan"....heh.

I've come to appreciate the 3s though, and agree that the OG shape was so much sleeker.

BC4’s were my very first pair of J’s as a kid. Think I posted a photo a while back. Was my favorite, but has since taken second place behind Bred 1’s for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom