Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

Idk why people finally "got it" in 1999 with the 4s. It seems like the sneakerheads and the mass market was ready for retro back then. Lots of people around my way, who never would have bought a retro sneaker, decided to by the 4s.

Maybe because MJ finally retired for the Bulls and had that last shot that was so hyped-up. Maybe they weren't sure of the way the brand was going (14s looking crazy-futuristic, team jordan shoes being cheaper and a little uglier) so they wanted something familiar.
I suspect it definitely had something to do with MJ having retired. Enough time had passed from the IVs original run, too. Suddenly a retro was about remembering the past and the career. And without Jordan on TV wearing the latest model, it took on a different meaning. Suddenly, you weren't wearing an OLD shoe. You were wearing something that showed people you were someone who appreciated the history.

It could also be that the culture was now coming around to the idea of wearing old models again after Nike slowly tried introducing retros going back to '94. While that first round of retros mostly sat on shelves, it planted a seed in people's minds. Maybe they didn't get it in '94-95, but when it happened again, combined with Jordan's retirement, it very well could've started to click more because sneaker fans had had time to process the concept.

Not a lot of people seem to remember this, but during the '93 NBA Playoffs and/or FInals, Nike out of the blue aired some of the OG III commercials during Bulls games. There was no rhyme or reason to it, no explanation given at the time. They just randomly appeared. In retrospect, that had to be someone's idea of planting the seed and testing the water. The thing I still find quite odd about it is, a full year-plus passed before they dropped that first III retro in '94. To me, it would've made more sense to show the commercials combined with a larger campaign letting people know that the shoe was coming back and why, and much sooner than a year later. They could've had Mike wear a pair during his pre-game shooting and got Ahmad and NBC to cover it. Had they done that, they probably could've accelerated the retro adoption by Jordan fans even sooner.

I suspect it definitely had something to do with MJ having retired. Enough time had passed from the IVs original run, too. Suddenly a retro was about remembering the past and the career. And without Jordan on TV wearing the latest model, it took on a different meaning. Suddenly, you weren't wearing an OLD shoe. You were wearing something that showed people you were someone who appreciated the history.

It could also be that the culture was now coming around to the idea of wearing old models again after Nike slowly tried introducing retros going back to '94. While that first round of retros mostly sat on shelves, it planted a seed in people's minds. Maybe they didn't get it in '94-95, but when it happened again, combined with Jordan's retirement, it very well could've started to click more because sneaker fans had had time to process the concept.

Not a lot of people seem to remember this, but during the '93 NBA Playoffs and/or FInals, Nike out of the blue aired some of the OG III commercials during Bulls games. There was no rhyme or reason to it, no explanation given at the time. They just randomly appeared. In retrospect, that had to be someone's idea of planting the seed and testing the water. The thing I still find quite odd about it is, a full year-plus passed before they dropped that first III retro in '94. To me, it would've made more sense to show the commercials combined with a larger campaign letting people know that the shoe was coming back and why, and much sooner than a year later. They could've had Mike wear a pair during his pre-game shooting and got Ahmad and NBC to cover it. Had they done that, they probably could've accelerated the retro adoption by Jordan fans even sooner.
I think the 99 retirement felt a lot more real to everyone than the 93. Even as kids for the first retirement we thought he was coming back.

Something else was going on with Nike around that time too because they started to release more Air Force 1s and Dunks.

Could they have known that their Golden Era was over? Because if you ask me the shoe designs from 1998 until now weren't touching the stuff from 1985-1997.

I think the 99 retirement felt a lot more real to everyone than the 93. Even as kids for the first retirement we thought he was coming back.

Something else was going on with Nike around that time too because they started to release more Air Force 1s and Dunks.

Could they have known that their Golden Era was over? Because if you ask me the shoe designs from 1998 until now weren't touching the stuff from 1985-1997.
Definitely the golden era in terms of looks and style. Other than probably some of Kobe's models, the last truly new Nike bball shoes post-2000 that blew me away were the original Hyperdunk and the Air Force Operate. (And let's be honest, the Operates looked like a Force shoe straight out of the '90s that they just sat on for a few years.) Were the Jet Flights from the 2000s, I can't remember offhand. I'm probably forgetting a couple/few more, but for the most part, nothing has touched that era in terms of looks, materials, proportions etc. And today's plastic and knit materials just don't lend themselves to the same type of impact shoes from that great era did. Too many of them look way too similar.

So ridiculous, that OG shape. But we're so obsessed about the shape, sometimes this gets lost: that OG black nubuck or durabuck (I always mix up which was on which shoe) is nearly as important. You can see it in this photo, how it had an almost oily touch/finish to it. The OG metallic Vs and VIs were the same. The stuff they have now looks and feels a lot drier.

I pretty sure the material was the OG Durabuck, and I agree 1000%. The OG Durabuck was a synthetic material, made to mimic leather, but it was a lot lighter overall. If you look at the OG BC 4's in certain shades of light, the material looks like some form of shiny leather.

black-red-air-jordan-4.jpg

A Different World - No Means No (part 2 of 6)-new01+.gif
A Different World - No Means No (part 2 of 6)-new02+.gif

The OG's were just a WHOLE NOTHER DIFFERENT BEAST!!!!

:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

:nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat:

:smokin

Idk why people finally "got it" in 1999 with the 4s. It seems like the sneakerheads and the mass market was ready for retro back then. Lots of people around my way, who never would have bought a retro sneaker, decided to by the 4s.

Maybe because MJ finally retired for the Bulls and had that last shot that was so hyped-up. Maybe they weren't sure of the way the brand was going (14s looking crazy-futuristic, team jordan shoes being cheaper and a little uglier) so they wanted something familiar.

I remember vividly back in '99, when this dude a grade higher than me came to school rockin' the '99, BC 4's. I had seen pictures of them on the net, like on sites like ShoeTrends, but in person I was like...

inlove01.gif

I fell in love instantly, and they've been my all-time favorite, ever since. However, this other dude tried to roast the guy wearing them to oblivion. He said they were old, and were on SUPER clearance at this local store here in Cincinnati, called "Deveroes". I gave zero ***** about his thoughts, and I dragged my Mom to that store with the quickness!!! Unfortunately, they were LONG gone.

In 2008, I was gonna try to cop them with my own money. However, I couldn't justify spending $300+ on a pair of shoes that were COMPLETELY different, and another pair I didn't like at all. Finally, I was able to get them in 2012, and I was happy to finally get a pair. The more I looked at them, I started to hate them. I didn't actually wear them until Christmas of 2015, but I tired them on a few months earlier, and the right shoe got a serious, hairline crack on the medial side of the midsole. The nubuck material was trash, and it also stiff as ****. They were one of the most uncomfortable pairs of shoes, I've ever worn.

All of this, and I was STILL obsessing over the 1999 Retro's, as they were the closest to the OG, I thought I ever be able to obtain. I was SO tired, of looking at the cheap low tops, I owned and was SOOOO THIRSTY that I spent $1,000, on a sole swapped, DS 1999 pair.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3UFTRWRBC.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3UICJSC1H(1).jpg

You probably can't tell by the pics, but it was a VERY BAD swap, and the midsoles were yellowed, to give them a vintage look. I didn't like none of this, and had them redone.

20180728_163627.jpg

I wore them for a couple of pics, and that was it. I knew the aged Durabuck would crack badly, so I decided to just keep em NDS. I also acquired another badly swapped DS pair, and a used pair that STILL needs to be swapped. My Favorite Jordan of ALL-TIME. I REALLY just don't know why they keep *****ing on it, SO HARD.

If they bring back the 2, to be successful it would need to be OG shape, and super awesome, Italian quality leather.

Gentry's trick ***, and the dicks at Nike/JB, after reading your sentence.

smirk01.gif

smirk05.gif

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They'd be skeetin' all over themselves, at the thought seeing plastic leather, steel toe boot boxes, and their "TRADEMARK" black piping, on them. They'd have a FULL SNKRS ad, saying they were "SUPER REMASTERED", too.

:smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

Both are fugly. NOT feelin the 2's whatsoever.

I agree 100%. No disrespect to anyone who likes them, but the 2 has always been ugly. Back in '95, when I was 7 years old, I seen the 2's at this shoe store called "Just For Feet", and I thought they were some Fila knockoffs. Ironically, Fila is an Italian brand.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

In fact in my HONEST opinion, the majority of Nike basketball sneakers between 1986-88, were trash appearance wise. The Air Force 2, Delta Force AC's, Python's, and etc. They ALL were basically the same boring *** designs. The Team Convention, Big Nike, Revolution's, and Alpha Forces were fire, though.

I pretty sure the material was the OG Durabuck, and I agree 1000%. The OG Durabuck was a synthetic material, made to mimic leather, but it was a lot lighter overall. If you look at the OG BC 4's in certain shades of light, the material looks like some form of shiny leather.

:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

I remember vividly back in '99, when this dude a grade higher than me came to school rockin' the '99, BC 4's. I had seen pictures of them on the net, like on sites like ShoeTrends, but in person I was like...

inlove01.gif

I fell in love instantly, and they've been my all-time favorite, ever since. However, this other dude tried to roast the guy wearing them to oblivion. He said they were old, and were on SUPER clearance at this local store here in Cincinnati, called "Deveroes". I gave zero ***** about his thoughts, and I dragged my Mom to that store with the quickness!!! Unfortunately, they were LONG gone.

In 2008, I was gonna try to cop them with my own money. However, I couldn't justify spending $300+ on a pair of shoes that were COMPLETELY different, and another pair I didn't like at all. Finally, I was able to get them in 2012, and I was happy to finally get a pair. The more I looked at them, I started to hate them. I didn't actually wear them until Christmas of 2015, but I tired them on a few months earlier, and the right shoe got a serious, hairline crack on the medial side of the midsole. The nubuck material was trash, and it also stiff as ****. They were one of the most uncomfortable pairs of shoes, I've ever worn.

All of this, and I was STILL obsessing over the 1999 Retro's, as they were the closest to the OG, I thought I ever be able to obtain. I was SO tired, of looking at the cheap low tops, I owned and was SOOOO THIRSTY that I spent $1,000, on a sole swapped, DS 1999 pair.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3UFTRWRBC.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3UICJSC1H(1).jpg

You probably can't tell by the pics, but it was a VERY BAD swap, and the midsoles were yellowed, to give them a vintage look. I didn't like none of this, and had them redone.

20180728_163627.jpg

I wore them for a couple of pics, and that was it. I knew the aged Durabuck would crack badly, so I decided to just keep em NDS. I also acquired another badly swapped DS pair, and a used pair that STILL needs to be swapped. My Favorite Jordan of ALL-TIME. I REALLY just don't know why they keep *****ing on it, SO HARD.

smirk01.gif

smirk05.gif

They'd be skeetin' all over themselves, at the thought seeing plastic leather, steel toe boot boxes, and their "TRADEMARK" black piping, on them. They'd have a FULL SNKRS ad, saying they were "SUPER REMASTERED", too.

I agree 100%. No disrespect to anyone who likes them, but the 2 has always been ugly. Back in '95, when I was 7 years old, I seen the 2's at this shoe store called "Just For Feet", and I thought they were some Fila knockoffs. Ironically, Fila is an Italian brand.

In fact in my HONEST opinion, the majority of Nike basketball sneakers between 1986-88, were trash appearance wise. The Air Force 2, Delta Force AC's, Python's, and etc. They ALL were basically the same boring *** designs. The Team Convention, Big Nike, Revolution's, and Alpha Forces were fire, though.
I was lucky to be in a good circle. I have my 99 BC4, bought my brothers, which were the same size. And I bought my homeboy's which was the same size too. (Bought one pair for 100 and another for 75 back then after they wore them a little)

So I currently have 3 pairs that are all pretty much 8 or 9 out of 10 condition but need sole swaps. I got 3 Rucker Park Flight 89s for $54 dollars each.

It's going to happen soon. 😎

inlove01.gif

20180728_163627.jpg

smirk01.gif

smirk05.gif

Obviously I agree with ALL of this, but forget that for a second, you just reminded me ... I'd be thrilled if Nike ever retroed the Alpha Force low, white/red/black, the same ones MJ wore once or twice or whatever. Not because of MJ wearing them, though. I remember older kids playing in these cira '89-90 and have wanted a pair ever since. Always saw these as the Air Trainer 1 crossed with the Jordan III.
michael-jordans-nike-air-alpha-force-low-1988-shoes-1024x1024.jpg

Definitely the golden era in terms of looks and style. Other than probably some of Kobe's models, the last truly new Nike bball shoes post-2000 that blew me away were the original Hyperdunk and the Air Force Operate. (And let's be honest, the Operates looked like a Force shoe straight out of the '90s that they just sat on for a few years.) Were the Jet Flights from the 2000s, I can't remember offhand. I'm probably forgetting a couple/few more, but for the most part, nothing has touched that era in terms of looks, materials, proportions etc. And today's plastic and knit materials just don't lend themselves to the same type of impact shoes from that great era did. Too many of them look way too similar.

Nike had a Lot of nice basketball shoes in the 2000s :emoji_fire:

The first retro corrected the flaws and left pretty much all the good stuff intact. Simple as that.
If you really think about it, this whole idea that the original version has to be the best really makes no sense and literally applies to almost nothing else. Is a computer from the 80s better than a modern one? Almost everything improves over time. There’s zero reason that we wouldn’t be able to improve something as simple as a sneaker that was designed and manufactured in the 80s. With JB, unfortunately, we’ve been conditioned to accept lesser versions over and over again but that really is only because they want it that way. They quite obviously tried to improve things with the original 1,3,4, and 5 retros. At some point during 2000 or so something changed and they made the business decision to veer sharply away from that concept and decided to destroy the designs rather than make slight improvements.
Very well said here bro. I’m not against the retro being different than the OG if it improves it. The problem with JB is they rarely ever do that and we’re used to it.

if it makes y'all feel any better, nike, jb, adidas, etc mess up retros all the time. i can't really think of any 1:1 perfect retros out there.

if it makes y'all feel any better, nike, jb, adidas, etc mess up retros all the time. i can't really think of any 1:1 perfect retros out there.
I don't know about absolute 1:1, but they can sure get damn close when they want to. I don't have OG AM90s to compare them to, but the recent AMIII retros are insanely good. In terms of Jordan IVs, the '99s 21 years ago proved it as well. Every company definitely jacks up various retros; it's just a shame some of the all-time greats continue to get half-assed, even if some of the half-assing is worse than others LOL

It doesn't make sense to me why Jordan picks and choose which retros to put effort into, while others are half arsed. All the recent 11's have been great, as have been the '6's'. 3's and 5's at the very least seem headed in the right direction.

4's and 9's they cannot get right, and they been struggling with 12's and 13's as well.

It doesn't make sense to me why Jordan picks and choose which retros to put effort into, while others are half arsed. All the recent 11's have been great, as have been the '6's'. 3's and 5's at the very least seem headed in the right direction.

4's and 9's they cannot get right, and they been struggling with 12's and 13's as well.
Don't let them off the hook with the IIIs, though. Latest versions better for sure, but still a long way to go. FR Vs are sick, only thing really wrong with them is the tongue. Which is classic JB trolling, because that part is a hell of a lot easier to get right than the shape issues and all of the other construction-based crap that is usually what all the main complaints about retros focus on.

Nike basketball designs in the 1990’s were/are classics. You could
After wearing my fire reds pretty often in the last few weeks, it was time to change it up.

AB564C53-D870-4177-A253-02504F98782A.jpeg

that’s one thing about this model/Colorway. They go with just about everything is seems. I had a pair I worn until the eyelets broke and Nike gave me a voucher for them.

Reading some of these replies in here really takes me back. I remember every year a new model dropped, the previous model was no longer “it”.

My first pair were the playoff 89’s (BC IV). We referred to them by years and not numbers back then. When I got the 90’s (FR V), it was so different from the previous shoe and I had the audacity to mow the lawn in my 89’s.

Flash forward to 94-95 when Nike rolled out the Retros 1-3. I had a friend in high school who was just as big of a Jordan fanatic as I was and we were all over these. I picked up the Chicago 1’s on clearance and also picked up both color ways of the 3’s, while he scooped the 2 lows and the BC 3. Before Money came out of retirement we both eagerly anticipated the return of the IV, which as we all know didn’t happen until after his second retirement.

What’s crazy is the summer of 95 him and I and another friend of ours made a trip to visit my older cousin before we started college. My cousin steps out the garage with a clean pair of playoff 89’s (BC IV) and we stood there in awe. I remember the words that came out of my mouth, “Yo! where the **** did you get those?!”
Turns out he was cleaning out his Aunt’s (no relation to me) garage and came across them. They belonged to his older cousin who was serving a bid and wasn’t going to be home for a long long time. He asked if he could have them and she said sure, apparently they had maybe been worn a couple of times and still looked brand new. That whole trip I couldn’t stop staring at them and fondly remembering my pair.

I can only speak for myself, but I always coveted the previous models I didn’t have growing up and the 89 playoff’s (BC IV) will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first. I think that’s why I’m one of the members on here that’s always vexed when JB (Gentry specifically) ****s with this iconic line.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share with you guys.

Reading some of these replies in here really takes me back. I remember every year a new model dropped, the previous model was no longer “it”.

My first pair were the playoff 89’s (BC IV). We referred to them by years and not numbers back then. When I got the 90’s (FR V), it was so different from the previous shoe and I had the audacity to mow the lawn in my 89’s.

Flash forward to 94-95 when Nike rolled out the Retros 1-3. I had a friend in high school who was just as big of a Jordan fanatic as I was and we were all over these. I picked up the Chicago 1’s on clearance and also picked up both color ways of the 3’s, while he scooped the 2 lows and the BC 3. Before Money came out of retirement we both eagerly anticipated the return of the IV, which as we all know didn’t happen until after his second retirement.

What’s crazy is the summer of 95 him and I and another friend of ours made a trip to visit my older cousin before we started college. My cousin steps out the garage with a clean pair of playoff 89’s (BC IV) and we stood there in awe. I remember the words that came out of my mouth, “Yo! where the **** did you get those?!”
Turns out he was cleaning out his Aunt’s (no relation to me) garage and came across them. They belonged to his older cousin who was serving a bid and wasn’t going to be home for a long long time. He asked if he could have them and she said sure, apparently they had maybe been worn a couple of times and still looked brand new. That whole trip I couldn’t stop staring at them and fondly remembering my pair.

I can only speak for myself, but I always coveted the previous models I didn’t have growing up and the 89 playoff’s (BC IV) will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first. I think that’s why I’m one of the members on here that’s always vexed when JB (Gentry specifically) ****s with this iconic line.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share with you guys.

Really neat story there man. Always intriguing to read stuff like this.

For my part, I copped the 95' retro black/red 1's and the 2's. I remember waering the 1's to school and my friends saying "yo why are you wearing them dead nikes". At the time the Jordan 10 was the newest model and I had the Powder Blues but I wanted every Jordan that came out. It's around this time when my 'collectors mentality' was developing. We was ahead of our time I guess.

And yea we called by years back then. My first pair was the 1991's, black infared 6's.

Very early 2000 my friend had a pair of Concords in about 8 out of 10 condition, still very crispy, and he sold them to me. I think they were his dads. (no box included) He knew I would want them.

I wore them to school not knowing that they would retro towards the end of the year. They turned a lot of heads and sparked conversations. That was the first time I had wore an OG years after it released and got a positive reaction.

Before that, wearing shoes that were a couple of years old either got a negative response or no response at all. I remember getting a teal Larry Johnson jersey in 5th grade, then when I wore it again in 7th grade a kid said I was poor for having that old isshh.:lol: And it was a kid poorer than me, who didn't have half the wardrobe I had. :lol: :wow:

Man at this point its kicking a dead horse but I seen this photo and another from the starfish 4 that came out and why do they give females 4s a way better shape then the OG drops? I dont get the collar cut looks way less wide then males sneakers and the toe looks way slimmer plus they even look higher cut here! So backwards.
20210210_114728.jpg

Man at this point its kicking a dead horse, but I seen this photo and another from the starfish 4 that came out and why do they give females 4s a way better shape then the OG drops? I don't get the collar cut looks way less wide then males sneakers and the toe looks way slimmer plus they even look higher cut here! So backwards.
20210210_114728.jpg

You're not beating a DEAD horse, BigSparky1316 BigSparky1316 . This **** needs to be talked about, until it's fixed. Straight the **** up. Also, the right shoes collar is shaped like the OG, but the pull tabs, and height of the sneaker is STILL TOO GOTDAMN LOW.

Don't get me started on the height of the mudguards. The left shoe's collar is ****ED UP, just like ALL of the current Jordan 4's.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

THIS, is how the height, shape, collars, and mudguards should be... **** ALL THOUGHTS & OPINIONS.

|l |l |l |l |l |l |l

You're not beating a DEAD horse, BigSparky1316 BigSparky1316 . This **** needs to be talked about, until it's fixed. Straight the **** up. Also, the right shoes collar is shaped like the OG, but the pull tabs, and height of the sneaker is STILL TOO GOTDAMN LOW.

Don't get me started on the height of the mudguards. The left shoe's collar is ****ED UP, just like ALL of the current Jordan 4's.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

THIS, is how the height, shape, collars, and mudguards should be... **** ALL THOUGHTS & OPINIONS.

|l |l |l |l |l |l |l
Just looking at this pic is upsetting itself. I would love to spend some money just to have a pair displayed. But not when they end up like that.

Back
Top Bottom