Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

Decided to relace my good pair and instead of leaving them unlaced I decided to bar lace em as a throwback to the Nike Footwear Catalog from Fall 1990. Would've positioned em like the catalog but had too much stuff out to do so. Will likely leave em laced like this until I decide otherwise.
20200515_143429.jpg
picture-32.png

The tongue on the OG's is insanely tall though. :wow: Tried to pull mine up a bit but didn't want to pull too hard.
the real top 3

Man, tempted to get another pair from Snipes. Don't like how the snags on the stitching from my left shoe is looking.

I was lucky to get both pairs in looking pretty solid. The toe rand on one shoe of one of the pairs is a bit off but it's really not that bad. Looking good, good quality. Jordan brand has made some nice stuff this year, hope they keep it up.

Can someone school me on why there was a black tongue and silver tongue version of the Jordan 5 fire red? And which version originally released first?

Can someone school me on why there was a black tongue and silver tongue version of the Jordan 5 fire red? And which version originally released first?
Same reason they made white/infrared and carmine 6. Hare and cardinal 7 etc. Just different color blocking to sell more shoes. The silver tongue version released with the black metallic and grape. I believe they released the black tongue version a few months later.

Same reason they made white/infrared and carmine 6. Hare and cardinal 7 etc. Just different color blocking to sell more shoes. The silver tongue version released with the black metallic and grape. I believe they released the black tongue version a few months later.

Both silver tongues released together in February 1990. Grapes were a few months later, like early summer, if I recall correctly. Then from what I remember black tongues were back to school. At that point, Mike always started the new season wearing the previous model until All Star weekend when the new ones released. 90 - black tongue, 91 - Carmine, 92 - Cardinals.

They both were part of the original release. White/Black-Fire Red (3M tongue), Black/Black-Metallic Silver, White/Grape Ice-New Emerald and White/Fire Red-Black (black tongue) were the 4 original color-ways that dropped in 1990. I don’t think there’s any special story behind it. It was just the color-ways they picked.

They both were part of the original release. White/Black-Fire Red (3M tongue), Black/Black-Metallic Silver, White/Grape Ice-New Emerald and White/Fire Red-Black (black tongue) were the 4 original color-ways that dropped in 1990. I don’t think there’s any special story behind it. It was just the color-ways they picked.

Ehhhh kinda. Yeah, they were an OG, but I think he was legit asking which pair came out first. Silver tongues were first, and the black tongues were the final colorway of the 5 to be released. Just an alternate white/red color to start the season. Same as the Carmines and the Cardinals after that.

Give me soft leather that creases any day. I'll never understand why people don't want their shoes to crease; makes no sense. If you don't want your shoes to crease, don't wear them. We don't want JB to go back to the plastic/super PU coated crap leather of the past.
get a pair of construction Tims for no crease

Ehhhh kinda. Yeah, they were an OG, but I think he was legit asking which pair came out first. Silver tongues were first, and the black tongues were the final colorway of the 5 to be released. Just an alternate white/red color to start the season. Same as the Carmines and the Cardinals after that.

Yeah did you see the order I listed them in. And what was the 5th colorway? I don’t remember a 5th.

edit: never mind I read that wrong :lol:

I still remember a female I knew rockin' the "Grape" Air Jordan "5."

It struck me because I didn't see females wearing Air Jordans in person.
The type that would have had L.A. Gear.

While it is true that AJ's were gaining popularity, the colorway
(and some future non-bulls colorways) sealed the deal for some folks.

I still remember a female I knew rockin' the "Grape" Air Jordan "5."

It struck me because I didn't see females wearing Air Jordans in person.
The type that would have had L.A. Gear.

While it is true that AJ's were gaining popularity, the colorway
(and some future non-bulls colorways) sealed the deal for some folks.

First person I knew to have Grapes was this girl in my class that I had a crush on. It was pretty much the best thing ever to me at the time. :wow: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom