Air Jordan XX8 aka 2013, new "Proplate Zoom" Technology OFFICIAL THREAD.

Man, people complain about these being expensive. But people are dropping $200 on a shoe that has been retroed 5 times already, and the only difference is it has Nike Air on the back. You can't ball in them, they're made cheaply, yet you go and pay for them. These are new technology, good materials, and made to ball in and people say they're too expensive. There's something wrong here.
Truth.  I do understand that what something is worth is a matter of opinion.  However, I don't understand why people are so outraged by the price.  Its the flagship shoe so naturally it will command a premium price.  Every manufacturer has a premium product and charges accordingly for the quality change.  Its business and simple economics.  

Truth.  I do understand that what something is worth is a matter of opinion.  However, I don't understand why people are so outraged by the price.  Its the flagship shoe so naturally it will command a premium price.  Every manufacturer has a premium product and charges accordingly for the quality change.  Its business and simple economics.  
You think? Nike and alot of other companies survived along time off their team products, that focused on high school sports programs and those shoes were extremely reasonable and durable. This is just greed and taking advantage of thirst but believe me I have seen this before and the only thing it does is pushes the loyal consumer away from the product and then when the "trend is over" the company is in worse shape. When you start charging premium prices people might just say hey this  other thing isn't so bad or for a few more dollars.... I'm not tripping because I have a solid, very solid collection reaches way pass recent retros but I will say that I don't want to see the hype destroy the icon. 

Last edited:
You think? Nike and alot of other companies survived along time off their team products, that focused on high school sports programs and those shoes were extremely reasonable and durable. This is just greed and taking advantage of thirst but believe me I have seen this before and the only thing it does is pushes the loyal consumer away from the product and then when the "trend is over" the company is in worse shape. When you start charging premium prices people might just say hey this  other thing isn't so bad or for a few more dollars.... I'm not tripping because I have a solid, very solid collection reaches way pass recent retros but I will say that I don't want to see the hype destroy the icon. 
Again, truth.  However, Nike and Jordan are separate, to a certain extent anyway, and the Air Jordan is their flagship shoe. The company was pretty much put on the map when they signed MJ.  Can you find a comparable or even better quality shoe than the XX8?  Sure.  But its all about that Jumpman and like every other manufacturer that sells anything you are paying for the logo.  It does leave a bad taste in the mouth of the loyal consumer though and that's unfortunate.  However, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  And in the case of the XX8 there are many that believe its worth it.  It is what it is.  

damn these got tore up on air during the boston game..... they kept zooming the camera in on terrence who had the camo's on... 1 announcer said "what the.. are those exhaust pipes on his feet'?

lmao

Not hardly. 200.00 for a hooping shoe is not reasonable unless your parents are able to spend money like that  3-4 times a season. Do you know the abuse basketball shoes take or is this just a cool answer.
Shoes have become less durable. Back in the 90s they'd last me a whole season plus wearing them to school every day. But after that they were totally finished

Last edited:
Man, people complain about these being expensive. But people are dropping $200 on a shoe that has been retroed 5 times already, and the only difference is it has Nike Air on the back. You can't ball in them, they're made cheaply, yet you go and pay for them. These are new technology, good materials, and made to ball in and people say they're too expensive. There's something wrong here.
What you said. These are much better value than the III. You can't ball in IIIs unless you are a masochist

Last edited:
Nike could have still made a profit at 180-200. They see what's going on ebay and think they can charge 250 a shoe

damn these got tore up on air during the boston game..... they kept zooming the camera in on terrence who had the camo's on... 1 announcer said "what the.. are those exhaust pipes on his feet'?

lmao
I've got to see this. Someone upload pls!

Still feel sick about how much I had to pay for these but whatever I guess..

Yeah the 250 is steep but if you enjoy your pair half as much as I enjoy mine you are going to get over the sting pretty fast.  It is an awesome shoe.  Pass on the next crappy quality $160 retro and you'll be close to even.

Yeah the 250 is steep but if you enjoy your pair half as much as I enjoy mine you are going to get over the sting pretty fast.  It is an awesome shoe.  Pass on the next crappy quality $160 retro and you'll be close to even.

$250 would have been ok with me, its the $340 I paid that hurts. Even worse, thats the lowest I could talk down either of the 3 sellers in my area that had my size for sale.

But whatever, I'll just sell something to make up for the loss.

This price point is terrible. I feel like a chump for paying this much for a basketball shoe. But I chose to do it so I'm responsible for it. 

And yet, neither the aj xx8 nor the foamposite one (1997) are the most expensive general release basketball shoes ever. The air pump force and converse react for larry johnson retailed at higher retail value back in the early 1990's.

Finally received my black/volts. Fit is great and comfortable - definitely go TTS on these. Zoom is amazing in these. Just wow. The high shroud is annoying, so folding it down is must for me. Price sucks for sure. I hear these perform great. We'll see about that in the coming couple of weeks.

You can definitely get two other very good performance shoes for the price of this one shoe. However, these might just be worth it if they perform amazing and if you have the resources.

Who thinks we're really getting new colorways next Saturday?
I doubt it.  They usually don't drop flagship model colorways that close together.  The colors that are currently out have only been out for a week.  I would say late March or early April before any new colorways surface.  

I felt the same way. I eventually passed up on the green camos even though Icould  got have gotten them. For the price of two xx8s I could have gotten a body solid leg extension for my home gym. So it puts it in perspective how pricey these are

Last edited:
And yet, neither the aj xx8 nor the foamposite one (1997) are the most expensive general release basketball shoes ever. The air pump force and converse react for larry johnson retailed at higher retail value back in the early 1990's.
That's some solid info, what did those retail for back in the day?

Finally received my black/volts. Fit is great and comfortable - definitely go TTS on these. Zoom is amazing in these. Just wow. The high shroud is annoying, so folding it down is must for me. Price sucks for sure. I hear these perform great. We'll see about that in the coming couple of weeks.

You can definitely get two other very good performance shoes for the price of this one shoe. However, these might just be worth it if they perform amazing and if you have the resources.
I felt the same way about the shroud. These would have been better with a lower cut shroud. I really like the responsiveness of zoom. Hypermax is too bouncy and lunarlon is squishy. It's like a pillow. Probably why I hated the 2012 hyperdunk. It was rubbish. I do weigh a lot (211 lbs) but NBA players weigh more than that so I expect it to be able to handle it.

This price point is terrible. I feel like a chump for paying this much for a basketball shoe. But I chose to do it so I'm responsible for it. 
Personal I think the price is pretty low when you consider that the Retro XI cost $180, and the newest Jordan shoe should cost at least $100 more and they only cost $70 more? I thinks thats pretty fair and beside, Jordan are meant for the True basketball player with style and substance in mind 
wink.gif

lmao really trying hard to justify that price huh?

as if 180 for the XIs was a good price

do you hoop doe?

Back
Top Bottom