Air Jordan's MJ didn't like

3, 11, were his tops. Colorways? idk. 12s and 13s are high on his list also because the design inspirations best fit his personality.
From what I gather it was the 3, and the 11 ...

But he also loved the 12 and 13.

Those were the first shoes of his that implemented Zoom. He swore by Zoom so much that he got Scottie on board with the cushioning system.

Pip had his PE Nike Pippen 1’s switched to full length enclosed Zoom, where as the retail version was full length max air.

So ... Mike’s favorites as I gather are 3, 11, 12 and 13.

3, 11, were his tops. Colorways? idk. 12s and 13s are high on his list also because the design inspirations best fit his personality.

Those were the first shoes of his that implemented Zoom. He swore by Zoom so much that he got Scottie on board with the cushioning system.

Pip had his PE Nike Pippen 1’s switched to full length enclosed Zoom, where as the retail version was full length max air.

I agree, those four models have always come up in interviews he had in the past. But I truly think he had a soft spot for the 4 and the 9. Yes the 9. He wore them in Space Jam. Which I'm sure he chose that. And don't tell me he didn't have a say on what went on his statue. The Cool greys as a wizard. And has been seen in Charlotte Hornet colorways on the sideline. Along with the 13.

Jor
And don't tell me he didn't have a say on what went on his statue. The Cool greys as a wizard. And has been seen in Charlotte Hornet colorways on the sideline. Along with the 13.
"When asked what shoe should be on the statue of Michael Jordan in front of the United Center in Chicago, Tinker said the Air Jordan IX, because the shoe represented MJ being a “global superstar”."
- https://www.sneakerfiles.com/air-jordans/jordan-9/

MJ knew a statue was being made for him. I know the story that's told is Tinker decided the shoe. But it was Jordan that approved overall.

Plus the 9 was Jordans latest shoe when the statue was made.
Your right. But obviously there wasn't a shoe that Tink and MJ thought stood out enough to land on that statue other than the 9. They had 8 other models to choose from. I think it was a perfect choice.

Your right. But obviously there wasn't a shoe that Tink and MJ thought stood out enough to land on that statue other than the 9. They had 8 other models to choose from. I think it was a perfect choice.
I would say 6 others to choose from tho since I doubt tinker would go with 1 or 2. I think the 9 came out after his retirement. I dont think he wore them in a game before the retirement statue. He wore 8's for the 3peat finals.

I would say 6 others to choose from tho since I doubt tinker would go with 1 or 2. I think the 9 came out after his retirement. I dont think he wore them in a game before the retirement trophy. He wore 8's for the 3peat finals.
He retired in Oct 93, the 9 released in Nov 93 I believe. It was a neutral decision to pick the 9 taking nothing away from the previous 8 jordans.

nostalgia had seemingly nothing to do with it, strictly business, if i'm going to retire then i need exposure, putting his newest sig shoe (if that is the case) seems like a money play to get eyes on the shoe

the 9 air unit was on point, french blue is my daily
french blue 9s are one of the best colorways of that model

air-jordan-9-french-blue-1.jpg

I’ve never in my life heard that Mike didn’t like the VIII. Or that it gave him athletes foot. Where did you get this info?!

They’re definitely the heaviest and least breathable. I’ve always thought straps were gimmicky and stupid on shoes. But the AJ8 are comfortably cushioned.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/..._1_dr-john-hefferon-avery-johnson-spurs-coach

The cushion on the 8s doesn't last very long either. Once that midsole starts to get old it gets VERY firm and uncomfortable.

nostalgia had seemingly nothing to do with it, strictly business, if i'm going to retire then i need exposure, putting his newest sig shoe (if that is the case) seems like a money play to get eyes on the shoe
I don't disagree with that. It may have been all about exposure for the 9. But a temporary business move to put a certain shoe on a statue that's gonna be around forever is hard to believe. When it got unveiled in 1994 the first the I looked at was the feet. The 9? Really? It might have been just the perfect shoe with 1994 on both outsoles. Personally I love the 9 being on it though. My wife and I have been to that statue. One of the coolest things to see really. I think its inside now. We went through the gate at night when it was still outside the UC.

He retired in Oct 93, the 9 released in Nov 93 I believe. It was a neutral decision to pick the 9 taking nothing away from the previous 8 jordans.

Other than what Tinker said and your other points, I’ve always also believed the fact the IX was the latest shoe had something to do with it, and in no small part. If you think back to the culture of bball and sneakers and style in ‘93, there was no such thing as the retro movement; people didn’t think that way. The latest was the best in people’s minds. I remember MJ saying back in that era that generally his favorite model was whichever one was newest. It actually would have struck the majority of us as weird if they put an old model on the statue, as we were still years away from that fad coming along let alone taking hold.

EDIT: Sorry, I mistyped '93. Statue was revealed during that silly MJ jersey retirement TV special on Nov. 1, 1994. Same difference to my point, though. Generally no one other than ahead-of-their-time outliers like Bobbito Garcia et al (read: such a small population that it was well beyond being a TINY subculture) saw old shoes as cool then, or cared about them. (PS the TV special wasn't silly because Mike didn't deserve a retirement show; the way the show was done was just corny. But also very 1994.)

Last edited:

We all did until the tendonitis started.

If only he knew.

Shouldve stopped making new pairs after the 11. They nailed it. No point.

Back
Top Bottom