Air Jordan's MJ didn't like

It blows my mind MJ won a championship in the VIs... Those things feel like cardboard. The VIIs were a huge step forward in terms of comfort, IMO.

I feel you :lol:

The retro VI

But for that day and age 1991-1992, the tech was state of the art and top notch.

Hell people don’t believe when I tell them that the Air Max 93, 95 etc was actually a serious on field weapon for performance. As we know joke bastardizes and strips down the tech to break even when bringing back past kicks.

for those comparing comfort between models, arent official PE models padded differently?
YES

I posted about this in another thread, but I can only speak for footballers(soccer players). The boots(soccer cleats) you see them wear are not the exact same pairs me and you can buy at retail. They have so much customization, it might as well be a different boot altogether. Not to mention, that most pro athletes wear custom insoles to provide more cushioning for their needs.

This conversation has kind of gone all over the place, so I don't feel bad leaving this comment:

In high school I put a zoom air insole from the Jumpman Trifecta in the XI's... amazing.
They should leave the outside of Jordan's the same and update the internal make up of the shoes like Kobe is doing.

The XI with Zoom air Insole and the XVII were the best bball shoes in my opinion.

good to know^ ive always thought the player editions are made at higher standards.
they are, Nike has a factory in Italy where they manufacture boots for all their contracted players

This conversation has kind of gone all over the place, so I don't feel bad leaving this comment:

In high school I put a zoom air insole from the Jumpman Trifecta in the XI's... amazing.
They should leave the outside of Jordan's the same and update the internal make up of the shoes like Kobe is doing.

The XI with Zoom air Insole and the XVII were the best bball shoes in my opinion.
loved balling in xvii's, mind you I had the CDPs so I don't how different they were to OGs as I never had them

not better than the 11

the 12 is like wearing a work boot on court
the 13 had those hard rubber pods that hurt the sides of your feet
the 14 fixed that but they had to put a weird tongue and collar on them. Plus they had zoom. Zoom (back then) caused tendonitis. I played all through high school in zoom. Day in and day out on zoom will F your knees up. Case in point; Jordan's nagging injury with the Wizards. It probably started at the end of the bulls run.
I agree with all this about every shoe. But I just cant say the zoom caused the tendonitis. I played ball in all of these a lot. And work in a factory that forces me to wear steel toe boots everyday. For the last 18 years btw. The most I sit down is 30 minutes at most combined. Other than that I'm moving constantly. I'm 6 foot 190 lbs and my knees are good right now. You are a big dude by most peoples standards, couldn't age and size play a factor? Just as it did MJ?

Have you not been paying attention to this thread?

No.

17s were nice but a little stiff and hard under your feet. it wasnt the softest midsole at all.

16s mightve performed a little better. Much softer on the bottom but a little less support up top.

17s looked way better though

I agree with all this about every shoe. But I just cant say the zoom caused the tendonitis. I played ball in all of these a lot. And work in a factory that forces me to wear steel toe boots everyday. For the last 18 years btw. The most I sit down is 30 minutes at most combined. Other than that I'm moving constantly. I'm 6 foot 190 lbs and my knees are good right now. You are a big dude by most peoples standards, couldn't age and size play a factor? Just as it did MJ?
well i was like 16/17 when it started so i dont think age was responsible. If I play now its not there, and hasnt been for a while. But a couple years ago I found some lebrons on sale to hoop in and i could feel it happening all over again. Promptly threw them ****s in the trash, no joke.

But like I said earlier, I landed on size maybe being the culprit.

I dont think zoom is so bad on the heel, but under the forefoot is sketchy business.

I think theres a balance that must be achieved with sacrifices therein with cushioning. You can baby your feet but itll be at the cost of your knees.

We all did until the tendonitis started.

If only he knew.

Shouldve stopped making new pairs after the 11. They nailed it. No point.
I don’t get exactly what you’re saying here, bro. The 12s were the first pair of Jordans to have zoom.

I agree that yes, the 11 is not only the greatest Jordan, but in my opinion the greatest basketball shoe of all time. But mainly for it’s aesthetic. Full length air is cool but zoom is just so much better.

With that said, Jordan got tendinitis while wearing the 11. And it wasn’t because of the 11. It was because he gained a lot of muscle mass before the start of the season, because he evolve into almost exclusively a post up player. Where that season the fade away became his patented move.

The upper body muscle mass apparently gave his knees tendinitis, so he lost 10 pounds heading into the next season.

If you go on YouTube and look up Jordan 50 points versus Miami Heat 1996 ... a game that started the ‘96 - ‘97 season, he talks about how the tendinitis effected his playoffs. Particularly in the later stages of the playoffs and notably in the finals. Partially why 1996 was his worst NBA final series

Na, GP shut him down
No, false narrative. I mean that didn’t help matters, GP was one of the best on ball defenders ever.

MJ just shot poorly and was missing gimmies he normally converted.

Not to mention the team as a whole molly whopped a 64 won Seattle team in the first 3 games, with Jordan absolutely dominating in game 3 in Seattle to go up 3-0 which virtually secured the series win ... and the next two games the Bulls collectively just absolutely zoned out.

If it was just a matter of GP’s defense, way over simplification ... that also wouldn’t explain why the very next time they met Mike made it a point and put 45 on him.

Seattle has a very good team defense and the guys that guarded MJ before GP weren’t bad either. McMillan, Hawkins and Wingate.

2s gotta be his least liked , he was ready to ghost nike after they put him in those orthopedic clodhoppers.

Last edited:
My favorites: Cement 3’s both colorways, Bred/Spacejam/Concord 11’s. Black 5’s with 23 on the side, Infrared 6, All star 8’s, 13’s, Last Shot 14’s and all 17’s

Yes and ironically I broke my ankle in them too when I was hooping.
Bad luck for sure. To me the 96 ie was a great basketball shoe. That's what I practiced in high school my sophomore year, never had a problem with em. Never broke my ankle, but my worst sprain was wearing the original XIII blackreds. I was on crutches for that one.

Bad luck for sure. To me the 96 ie was a great basketball shoe. That's what I practiced in high school my sophomore year, never had a problem with em. Never broke my ankle, but my worst sprain was wearing the original XIII blackreds. I was on crutches for that one.
I LOVE the OG black/red ie. Why these fools at Nike have never retroed them properly escapes me. I bought four pairs of the 03 retros, anyway. Sent them all back after the first two squeaked horribly. Refused to buy subsequent releases. But I’d load up on a proper OG colorway without elephant print overlays and smoked soles.

17s were nice but a little stiff and hard under your feet. it wasnt the softest midsole at all.

16s mightve performed a little better. Much softer on the bottom but a little less support up top.

17s looked way better though

16s better

Back
Top Bottom