Air Max Webber/Sensation Returns Spring 2016...

Hey Ced B, found them at Panorama City mall in LA of all places...Unsure if any other local Finishline got them in...

#SOLID. 'PRESHIATE IT,FAM. GAVE 'EM A CALL IN HOPES OF TRYING TO ORDER A PAIR, BUT THEY DON'T DO STOCK LOCATE,SMH...OH WELL, GUESS I GOTTA WAIT IT OUT THEN...HOLLA!

CED B.

the design is not complicated, if they release without the CW and basketball why not just paint it on there yourself? or pay someone to do it

It wasnt paint it was thread and we shouldnt have to do squat if they are charging 165 for them

Come on bro stop defending nikes cost cutting

Last edited:
It wasnt paint it was thread and we shouldnt have to do squat if they are charging 165 for them

Come on bro stop defending nikes cost cutting
of course it should be there and i agree with you but if you pay full retail for this shoe you either love them way more than i do or just cant wait for a good discount because the demand for these will be minimal and will probably dip to around $50 if you can be patient

This may have been answered before but what exactly is the process with shoe companies designing logos for players? Does that player automatically "own" that logo? Is it copyrighted to the athlete? And then the shoe company can never use it without permission?

It seems everything about a typical logo (even if it "represents" an athlete") is created by the shoe company to use on the shoe company's gear and does not have the athlete's name (maybe initials/number/whatever).

Very good question. Worthy of its own thread. History of logos thread. I'd myself like to know how classic logos from all company's have been created over the years.

This may have been answered before but what exactly is the process with shoe companies designing logos for players? Does that player automatically "own" that logo? Is it copyrighted to the athlete? And then the shoe company can never use it without permission?

It seems everything about a typical logo (even if it "represents" an athlete") is created by the shoe company to use on the shoe company's gear and does not have the athlete's name (maybe initials/number/whatever).
From what I understand this. In Webber's case, his logo contained his number and the initials of his name, the CW to look like a basketball net (that's typically how Nike does it for a sig line) and as a Nike athlete at the time that was his sig "branding". When he was no longer a Nike athlete, he took his name with him and rightfully so. Can't make money off a person's name without their permission especially if they no longer are under contract with your athletic company. Makes sense, right? So, they had to change the name of the original shoe from the Nike Air Max C Webb to the Nike Air Max Sensation on the first retro. That's how we got the name now, with the logo removed of course. So in short, the logo ain't coming back, stop wishing for it.

Repped.

Makes sense in a way. The real question is how much are the royalties? And why is Nike shy about paying them out if the revenue stream will be higher by adding some extra stiching or branding.
I know I would personally shell out extra $$ to see the old CWebb logo or player numbers (air up) placed on shoes to keep the product as close to the original as possible.

I remember reading awhile ago that the Pippen retro a few years ago almost didn't come out with the logo cause of contracts and royalties that Nike was trying to hold back. I can almost guarantee that this shoe would sell more if properly branded......not that it won't stop me from buying that black/royal color way if done properly :nerd:

Repped.

Makes sense in a way. The real question is how much are the royalties? And why is Nike shy about paying them out if the revenue stream will be higher by adding some extra stiching or branding.
I know I would personally shell out extra $$ to see the old CWebb logo or player numbers (air up) placed on shoes to keep the product as close to the original as possible.

I remember reading awhile ago that the Pippen retro a few years ago almost didn't come out with the logo cause of contracts and royalties that Nike was trying to hold back. I can almost guarantee that this shoe would sell more if properly branded......not that it won't stop me from buying that black/royal color way if done properly
nerd.gif
Webber is gone forever man 
laugh.gif
. Not sure what the royalties are but I think the athletes still get something, don't quote me on that. Technically, people like Penny and Pippen are still considered Nike athletes in terms of contract status so they are able to use their likeness to sell retros.

^
I think we all know he's long gone. He jumped shipped to Fila, And1, Dada, and even rocked Reebok on those 76ers squad.
While Pip and Penny still negotiated with Nike to retain some royalties, my question still remains......what's the percentage or bottom line on these deals?

Iversons deal has been made public, I know someone somewhere knows what these endorsement deals look like....I just wish we would know. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Last edited:
From what I understand this. In Webber's case, his logo contained his number and the initials of his name, the CW to look like a basketball net (that's typically how Nike does it for a sig line) and as a Nike athlete at the time that was his sig "branding". When he was no longer a Nike athlete, he took his name with him and rightfully so. Can't make money off a person's name without their permission especially if they no longer are under contract with your athletic company. Makes sense, right? So, they had to change the name of the original shoe from the Nike Air Max C Webb to the Nike Air Max Sensation on the first retro. That's how we got the name now, with the logo removed of course. So in short, the logo ain't coming back, stop wishing for it.

OK, Two follow-up questions: 1) Could Webber hypothetically then legally use that logo with another company? If Nike can't use it, and he can't use it (with another company), who could? 2) What about player logos that have no initials or player likeness? For example Andre Agassi left Nike and they no longer used the tennis ball logo on his retros. He resigns with them couple years ago and they use the logo again.

No and no, both are intellectual property created by the parent company. Initials or likeness don't matter, really good questions though. Nike owns the IP forever, they just can't make money off it unless the athlete is currently sponsored.

No and no, both are intellectual property created by the parent company. Initials or likeness don't matter, really good questions though. Nike owns the IP forever, they just can't make money off it unless the athlete is currently sponsored.
This

OK, Two follow-up questions: 1) Could Webber hypothetically then legally use that logo with another company? If Nike can't use it, and he can't use it (with another company), who could? 2) What about player logos that have no initials or player likeness? For example Andre Agassi left Nike and they no longer used the tennis ball logo on his retros. He resigns with them couple years ago and they use the logo again.
You just answered your own question

Is this true? Adidas uses "Crazy 8" as Kobe's retro without having his name on it. Either way, the lack of "2" wont affect me, not a Webber fan but i love this shoe.
Yep, they been doing that since the first time they retro'd that shoe years ago. Kobe only had 2 shoes with Adidas when he first got to the NBA and then he went to Nike.

That's incorrect. Kobe had 6 official shoes with Adidas. He had the EQT, followed by KB8 I-III and then what would have been
the KB8 IV was dubbed "The Kobe", followed by The Kobe II. There were also plans for The Kobe III, but those never released.

Is this true? Adidas uses "Crazy 8" as Kobe's retro without having his name on it. Either way, the lack of "2" wont affect me, not a Webber fan but i love this shoe.
Yep, they been doing that since the first time they retro'd that shoe years ago. Kobe only had 2 shoes with Adidas when he first got to the NBA and then he went to Nike.
That's incorrect. Kobe had 6 official shoes with Adidas. He had the EQT, followed by KB8 I-III and then what would have been
the KB8 IV was dubbed "The Kobe", followed by The Kobe II. There were also plans for The Kobe III, but those never released.
Even if you don't know the exact names of the shoes, Kobe came in in 96 and started rocking Nikes in 03 then got the 2k4

So these came/coming out or what? My FNL didn't get them this weekend. Is it that one store's exclusive? lol

So has anyone seen the white navy blue in stores anywhere, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

So was originally told these would release last Saturday which it didn't...

Now I'm told its this Saturday...This is from the local FNL store which I saw the shoes on the shelf a few weeks ago but was placed by mistake...

Guess we'll see...

Back
Top Bottom