AJ XXX (30)

cw sounds dope! hope the blocking isn't whack though. there doesn't seem to be any info on it any where!!! :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Russ went back to XX8 after half last night JB marketing gotta love that .....
i don't think Nike is making new XX8, even for super stars, so why would a super star NBA player wear a 2 year old shoe in midst of contending for championship?

the shoe might be good, but unless it's stored in vacuum, i'm pretty sure the rubber & cushion would have degenerated abit, for normal players it might not mean much but for elite players this might have heavy impact on their games.

probably not that big of a risk after 2yrs...Jordan played in '85 AJ1s in '98 and '01 CG XIs in '03.
you sure it wasn't a retro AJ1? coz 13 years, i wouldn't risk that. many folks have their AJ crumbled in less than 10 years.

and for XI, since they were retroing them, possible Jordan had a new 01 CG XI made.

but newer AJ's aren't getting remade since it's not their turn for retros yet.

^you can google it since you're not familiar with the story..(an assist: sole collector . com /news/2015/03/michael-jordan-air-jordan-1-new-york-1998 )

Definitely weren't retros. I doubt your idea about the CG XIs. That's kind of silly to 'special request' since he wasn't marketing the shoe; he wore them in '03...they released in Spring '01...They were a favorite so he whipped them out. Same principle he used in '98.

Last edited:
^you can google it since you're not familiar with the story..(an assist: sole collector . com /news/2015/03/michael-jordan-air-jordan-1-new-york-1998 )

Definitely weren't retros. I doubt your idea about the CG XIs. That's kind of silly to 'special request' since he wasn't marketing the shoe; he wore them in '03...they released in Spring '01...They were a favorite so he whipped them out. Same principle he used in '98.
well can't imagine a 13 year old shoe wouldn't crumble into pieces in a high level usage. are we 100% sure? the 2 year old shoe, is possible but like i said probably have some rubber hardening.

The Jordan 1s weren't a retro. They were also a size or two too small.

Playing in A 2 year old shoe really is nothing.

A pair of Kobe IVs is still in my rotation, probably still my favorite and it hasn't fallen apart (not even close).

A 2 year old shoe will perform perfectly fine.

2 years isn't anything to be concerned about. We see nba players bust out older shoes than that literally almost every night on some team somewhere during the season.

Last edited:
2 years isn't anything to be concerned about. We see nba players bust out older shoes than that literally almost every night on some team somewhere during the season.
Cosmetic wise, even 5 years old shoe would look brand new if rarely used, however like i said, the rubber will harden over time, so will the cushion, and the glue will lose it's adhesive, i'm not saying it's not playable, but most like it it'd be 85% of what it used to be brand new. For amateur or pick ups, it's not an issue at all, but on highest level play like NBA, even 10% difference is alot you may or may not slip or lose your balance because of it.

There's a reason shoe shops give big discounts on shoes over 6 months old, not just to clear space but because shoes have shelf life.

And we have seen players bringing out their OGs just to have it crumple on the court half way tru out the game haven't we?

Cosmetics like Pleather crack/flaking is not a problem, but rubber hardening cost you traction, weakened cushion may cause injury (burst air/ crumpled midsoles), glue losing adhesive is a slow process and would have been noticed if you take care of your shoe and can be glued back as long as it's in it's early stages (i.e around the edges). But you wouldn't notice all these if you have 100 pairs of shoes in your collection & 20 pairs in rotation right?

Compile a percentage of how many old shoes (2 years or older) that has crumpled up on court and I am almost 99% sure that majority of them have no problem.

Hell PJ Tucker from the Suns busts out an old retro or OG almost every game without a problem. Earlier this year he busted out some 20 year old Xs at MSG and again no problems, it didn't turn into dust. He also busted out a 17 year old pair of XIIIs a few months later.

And shops give discounts to move products and not because they have a shelf life, these aren't some produce that will expire. If stores can keep the shoes/any shoes to sell it for full retail for years without affecting their profit margin then they would but that's not how businesses works.

2 years in basketball shoes is nothing, rubber isn't going to deteriorate or harden by then.

You also underestimate what professionals can play in.

You are definitely overthinking it WAY TOO MUCH.

Cosmetic wise, even 5 years old shoe would look brand new if rarely used, however like i said, the rubber will harden over time, so will the cushion, and the glue will lose it's adhesive, i'm not saying it's not playable, but most like it it'd be 85% of what it used to be brand new. For amateur or pick ups, it's not an issue at all, but on highest level play like NBA, even 10% difference is alot you may or may not slip or lose your balance because of it.

There's a reason shoe shops give big discounts on shoes over 6 months old, not just to clear space but because shoes have shelf life.

And we have seen players bringing out their OGs just to have it crumple on the court half way tru out the game haven't we?

Cosmetics like Pleather crack/flaking is not a problem, but rubber hardening cost you traction, weakened cushion may cause injury (burst air/ crumpled midsoles), glue losing adhesive is a slow process and would have been noticed if you take care of your shoe and can be glued back as long as it's in it's early stages (i.e around the edges). But you wouldn't notice all these if you have 100 pairs of shoes in your collection & 20 pairs in rotation right?

i don't think Nike is making new XX8, even for super stars, so why would a super star NBA player wear a 2 year old shoe in midst of contending for championship?

the shoe might be good, but unless it's stored in vacuum, i'm pretty sure the rubber & cushion would have degenerated abit, for normal players it might not mean much but for elite players this might have heavy impact on their games.

View media item 2054885

Go look at any Kicks on Court from NiceKicks or the Sneaker Champ Website of Gilbert Arenas 2010-2011 season where he wore like 70 diff pairs. Dudes wear older shoes all the time without issue.

Obviously there are small outliers such as when Tony Wroten's 10s had the sole separate mid-game but those were much older than 2 years. Additionally the same outliers can happen on brand new shoes such as when Ginobili's Nike PEs had his foot bust through in 2014.

To each their own though. You can only believe what you believe

Last edited:
Aaron Gordon also wrecked his HyperRevs this year so it's not just the age of the shoes that factors in.

Last edited:
All the banter aside....any pics of these supposed 30's that come out in a less than 2 weeks?? lol

JS"

Compile a percentage of how many old shoes (2 years or older) that has crumpled up on court and I am almost 99% sure that majority of them have no problem.

Hell PJ Tucker from the Suns busts out an old retro or OG almost every game without a problem. Earlier this year he busted out some 20 year old Xs at MSG and again no problems, it didn't turn into dust. He also busted out a 17 year old pair of XIIIs a few months later.

And shops give discounts to move products and not because they have a shelf life, these aren't some produce that will expire. If stores can keep the shoes/any shoes to sell it for full retail for years without affecting their profit margin then they would but that's not how businesses works.

2 years in basketball shoes is nothing, rubber isn't going to deteriorate or harden by then.

You also underestimate what professionals can play in.

You are definitely overthinking it WAY TOO MUCH.
well, i never said 2 years old shoes can't be worn and will crumble into pieces, just saying, the outsold rubber will have hardened abit and loses abit of traction & also the cushion, you may not notice it because you aren't going 100% on hardwood, but still it's playable, maybe 85-90% compared when it was new.

but talking about shoes older than 5 years, would be hard to convince. as we all have seen how even well kept AJ's crumble on it's own inside the box, but those are 10 years & older, but even when it looks pristine doesn't mean the insides are still good & suitable for wearing. For me anything more than 5 years, should be worn for casuals only.

Ban.

This is the XXX thread, who cares?

Show me the gold 6/15! or were those finals edition and scrapped.. (too soon) (Thunder Up)

Back
Top Bottom