All Star Saturday: 8pm EST, TNT (Skills Challenge, Shooting Stars, 3-pt shootout, Dunk Contest)

All I know, is the cupcake dunk deserved a 50 and the thru the legs w/ socks on shouldnt have been that far off from a 50

Nek32:
Moon could probably jump 3 feet behind the line and throw the ball at the rim and make it. He. Did. Not. Dunk. The. Ball.
And. No. Matter. How. Mad. You. Get. Dwight. Will. Still. Be. The. 2007. 2008. Slam. Dunk. Champion.
DOWNTOWN43:
i still can't believe ska and others are still trying to downplay the cupcake dunk. how many people can get their head up at the rim with enough hangtime to blow out a candle and dunk??

if Dwight Howard did that dunk, he would have gotten a 50 EASY and you all know it. he had the hype machine going for him and Green didn't

Gerald was too shy. if he turned to the crowd and started waving his hands before he did it, he would have gotten more of a reaction from the crowds and the judges.
THAT is the #1 reason why I'm not feeling the cupcake dunk; it's an optical illusion. "Oh, thecupcake was ABOVE the rim, and since he blew it out, then his head must have at LEAST been at rim level. That's amazing!"

His head was below the rim. In order to kiss the rim, your head (or your lips, which are a part of your head) HAS to beat rim level. In order to blow out a flickering candle, you don't HAVE to be really close to it; c'mon, we all know that.

You don't need a ton of hangtime to emit a little blow forceful enough to blow out a candle. Honestly and truly, hecould have stood on the ground... flatfooted... and blew the candle out. It wasn't a blowtorch he blew out; it was a freaking flickering birthdaycandle.
laugh.gif

I have a feeling you're thinking Dwight Howard should be called Hypebeast Howard, like you're hating on him justbecause everyone else is feeling him at the moment. With that in mind, I get the feeling that you're feeling the cupcake dunk just to say that someone didsomething better than Hypebeast Howard.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

i mean come on, all he really did was just jump high

then how is it different from the Superman "dunk"??? isnt that EXACTLY what Dwight did?

and dont say we've never seen someone jump that high before, there are guys 6-8 inches shorter than Dwight who have gotten their heads at the rim just as high as Dwight did.

theres a difference between jumping high, and jumping far.

im not saying we havent seen anyone jump that far either though. but jumping high and far, is alot more difficult than just jumping straight up to somedegree...

and even still.. take DH's superman dunk away from what he did that night... does any other dunk really compare to everything else he did?

and in the end, even if we have seen guys shorter jump just as high as dwight... that doesnt defeat the fact that the cupcake dunk was hardly anything"amazingly spectacular" the way its being portrayed.

an amazing dunk shows technicality, style, grace, and the illusion of FLYING. blowing out a cupcake does hardly any of that.

I know I'm mad late, but whatever....

laugh.gif
@ Darryl Dawkins knocking Gerald Green's shoes off the table....however, much like JR Smith's dunk a few years back where he went behind his ownback with the ball, the Green/no shoes dunk will be one of the most UNDERRATED dunks in the history of the dunk contest. Some of you all who are downplayingwhat he did with no shoes on, please go to your local rec center and see exactly how different it feels when you are attempting to dunk (not to mention goingbetween the legs) while not wearing kicks. It feels awkward, and [sas] QUITE FRANKLY [/sas] I was amazed that he was even able to pull it off. It's too badDr J got drowned out by boos, cause he was trying to drop some knowledge on the actual difficulty of what Green did. D12 won the crowd over, and from themoment he donned the cape, it was a wrap for Gerald Green. You could see it in his body language that he was defeated....

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

His head was below the rim. In order to kiss the rim, your head (or your lips, which are a part of your head) HAS to be at rim level. In order to blow out a flickering candle, you don't HAVE to be really close to it; c'mon, we all know that.

Green showed all night long that he can elevate high enough to be considered "head-level" with the rim. I can't say without a doubt that hewas looking down into the rim, but his eyes and the rim were on the same plane.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but the only knock on that cupcake dunk was that the backboard helped catch Green's breathe and divertit toward the candle. If the cupcake was standing by itself on a ladder or something, his aim would have to be impeccable.

Hey, can anyone tell me why Baron Davis was in uniform at the dunk contest? When I was watching one of the youtube videos of the dunk contest I saw him lurkingin the backround for a second in the warriors throwback uni.

^ the ladder dunk, Green's Head was above the rim.
d8ad59d1fb8d232703e91e5cc3192905-getty-79624292mw004_sprite_slam_d.jpg

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
555d1e8bf963f669bd715a97e0a793b7-getty-79624292lm006_dunk_contest.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
656b8dcd07ce279ee55b0e6443f3bcbe-getty-79624292gwe008_dunk_contest.jpg

478be660cc4c0bfc04f8bd1e8d7d5480-getty-79624292mc027_sprite_slam_d.jpg

5ef6892085f73326a256d70784698c69-getty-79624292bb093_slam_dunk.jpg

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Hey, can anyone tell me why Baron Davis was in uniform at the dunk contest? When I was watching one of the youtube videos of the dunk contest I saw him lurking in the backround for a second in the warriors throwback uni.

I don't know if you're seriously asking, but that was Thunder.

THAT is the #1 reason why I'm not feeling the cupcake dunk; it's an optical illusion. "Oh, the cupcake was ABOVE the rim, and since he blew it out, then his head must have at LEAST been at rim level. That's amazing!"

His head was below the rim. In order to kiss the rim, your head (or your lips, which are a part of your head) HAS to be at rim level. In order to blow out a flickering candle, you don't HAVE to be really close to it; c'mon, we all know that.

You don't need a ton of hangtime to emit a little blow forceful enough to blow out a candle. Honestly and truly, he could have stood on the ground... flatfooted... and blew the candle out. It wasn't a blowtorch he blew out; it was a freaking flickering birthday candle.

just like Dwight's "dunk" was an optical illusion as well??
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at you unknowingly poking holes in your own argument.

since it was an illusion to you, maybe you should look at it again:

2q9ghzn.gif

indifferent.gif
Green was AT THE RIM, so you can throw that out the window

I have a feeling you're thinking Dwight Howard should be called Hypebeast Howard, like you're hating on him just because everyone else is feeling him at the moment. With that in mind, I get the feeling that you're feeling the cupcake dunk just to say that someone did something better than Hypebeast Howard.

well thats false. everything Dwight did had me screaming out of my seat last night. i was
eek.gif
at the Superman dunk even though i saw he didn't really dunk it. but when icame to NT to see the reactions, people were just OD'ing on something that wasn't even a dunk, saying stuff like , "omg best dunk ever","Dwight >>> Vince", "he had to throw it in because he was afraid he would break the rim with his immense power"

all i was doing was basically just saying "whoa guys, chill out. it wasn't even his best dunk because he didn't actually dunk it" and i getlabeled as a hater.

but i learned my lesson. next time i'll just be quiet and hop on the bandwagon with everyone else so i don't look like a hater...
eyes.gif

I just watched the festivities this morning on my DVR. Dwight was entertaining. I didn't realize how crazy that superman dunk or nondunk was until theyshowed the replay. Props to Gerald Green on the "no shoes" dunk. Moon's 1st dunk was nice. Very entertaining contest overall.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

THAT is the #1 reason why I'm not feeling the cupcake dunk; it's an optical illusion. "Oh, the cupcake was ABOVE the rim, and since he blew it out, then his head must have at LEAST been at rim level. That's amazing!"

You don't need a ton of hangtime to emit a little blow forceful enough to blow out a candle. Honestly and truly, he could have stood on the ground... flatfooted... and blew the candle out. It wasn't a blowtorch he blew out; it was a freaking flickering birthday candle.

just like Dwight's "dunk" was an optical illusion as well??
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at you unknowingly poking holes in your own argument.

since it was an illusion to you, maybe you should look at it again:

2q9ghzn.gif

indifferent.gif
Green was AT THE RIM, so you can throw that out the window

I have a feeling you're thinking Dwight Howard should be called Hypebeast Howard, like you're hating on him just because everyone else is feeling him at the moment. With that in mind, I get the feeling that you're feeling the cupcake dunk just to say that someone did something better than Hypebeast Howard.

well thats false. everything Dwight did had me screaming out of my seat last night. i was
eek.gif
at the Superman dunk even though i saw he didn't really dunk it. but when i came to NT to see the reactions, people were just OD'ing on something that wasn't even a dunk, saying stuff like , "omg best dunk ever", "Dwight >>> Vince", "he had to throw it in because he was afraid he would break the rim with his immense power"

all i was doing was basically just saying "whoa guys, chill out. it wasn't even his best dunk because he didn't actually dunk it" and i get labeled as a hater.

but i learned my lesson. next time i'll just be quiet and hop on the bandwagon with everyone else so i don't look like a hater...
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
ok ill give you that one. i wasnt hyping up his dunk to thatextent. but no doubt his dunks were unmatched all night.

i guess i was doing the same thing as you, trying to show how much the cupcake dunk wasnt as spectacular as people showed it out to be.

D howard should have put that small hoop up to 12 so he could show people that he can really dunk on 12. that would have been awesome!

good observation....you should write him an email, I'm sure he would hit himself over the head.

laugh.gif
ok ill give you that one. i wasnt hyping up his dunk to that extent. but no doubt his dunks were unmatched all night.

i guess i was doing the same thing as you, trying to show how much the cupcake dunk wasnt as spectacular as people showed it out to be.

yeah, i still think Dwight won easily, but the Superman wasn't even his best dunk. i actually think the double-tap dunks ranks among the best dunks of thisdecade. he tossed it and went up on the bounce, tapped it with his LEFT hand, and then caught it with his right hand perfectly for the slam. that's a dunkwhere even if you had his pure jumping ability, you'd still have to practice a LOT to actually get the dunk down.

and the rules of the contest say that the judges should take fan reaction into account. Dwight definitely had that on his side all night, so the contest wasall his to win.

IMO, the best dunks were:

1) Dwight Backboard tap dunk
2) Green cupcake dunk
3) Green no-shoes
4) Jamario's "tape" dunk (if he didn't get people's hopes up with the tape, that dunk is a 50 or
close to it to it)
5) Dwight behind the backboard dunk

Am I the only one who thought Dwight should have put that little goal at 12 feet? Dunked the 12ft then the 10ft on the way down

Originally Posted by 715 asterisk

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Hey, can anyone tell me why Baron Davis was in uniform at the dunk contest? When I was watching one of the youtube videos of the dunk contest I saw him lurking in the backround for a second in the warriors throwback uni.

I don't know if you're seriously asking, but that was Thunder.

�I was serious. I just saw the name on the back of the jersey for a split second.

At 1:25 you can just see Davis on the back as I guess it was Thunder walking by.

Dunk contest was good.

I do feel Jamario Moon's first dunk was NICE though from how far he took off and how he had to reach back to do it. I also feel he could've done thesecond dunk. They need to take out that "teammate must assist" BS rule.

Rudy Gay was just gay. HUGE Disappointment.

Now, to the final two. Green, i feel, got waaaaayyy overlooked on most of his dunks. The cupcake dunk was SICK!! I mean, that's a tough +%+ dunk to do. The elevation, plus hang time PLUS concentration on receiving the ball.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
but
indifferent.gif
for it getting that bum +%+ score.

Then, the between the legs with NO SHOES!....I mean, that is crazy. I think he did the most difficult dunks of the night. However, his showmanship wasn'tanything compared to Dwight's. He definitely messed up by doing the same "style" dunk twice in a row.

Now Dwight, definitely impressed me. However, i think he's going to have the most underrated and overrated dunks ALL in one competition. His BEST dunk BYFAR was his "Tip the ball to the backboard" dunk but the ESPN highlight's didn't even show that dunk. The MOST overrated dunk in thecompetitions HISTORY has to be that superman dunk. I mean it was nice looking but homie didn't even come close to the rim. We might as well should'vejust counted Jamario Moon's "make" when he took off from the free throw line the first time since he threw it in too.

Also, i was disappointed in Dwight's last dunk. It was practically the same as Gerald Greens' second dunk. He just took the ball and windmilled it. He should've put it at 12 feet, like many have said here, maybe dunk a nerf ball and then when he's comin down, dunk the real ball.

All in all, Dwight's still a beast and i hope he comes back next year.

Sorry if this was posted before but if Dwight Howards literal throw down was not considered a dunk from that height, who can recall Keon Clarks viciousattack on Shawn Bradley?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

Back
Top Bottom