Although both share(d) pinnacle hip hop popularity, how come Nas never mainstreamed as well as jay?

Originally Posted by M16

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Pretty much every attempt he fell flat on his face

The ONLY thing Nas is better at than Jay is lyrics...and even that is not that big of a gap.

jay-z-crazy.jpg

and hate to break it to you, mass mainstream appeal hasn't been important since '97. It only just means your music is trash. Look at the examples you put up.

. Wow this is worse than i thought. I thought u just had a jay-z bias. But u obviously are riding nas so hard and u hate everything u see as a threat to hisfuture. Either that or u have no understanding of music and shouldnt be in this convo wat so ever.

Originally Posted by three6mafia

jay z is more bubble gum rap.
examples please
laugh.gif
tell me somethin Jay did more cheesy thanI Can, Oochie Wally, Quick To Back Down or naming your album the N word for attention

Originally Posted by cartune

examples please
laugh.gif
tell me somethin Jay did more cheesy than I Can, Oochie Wally, Quick To Back Down or naming your album the N word for attention
eek.gif
roll.gif

u bein serious??
uuhhhh hard knock life, that song with mariah carey, i just wanna love you, excuse me miss, Girls, Girls, Girls, bonnie and clyde

come on now, i could go on for ever

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

Either that or u have no understanding of music

Stop.

For the record "I Can" > any of Jays bubble gum garbage.

Gets hated on for no real reason. He obviously was going for a certain audience with it.

examples please
laugh.gif
tell me somethin Jay did more cheesy than I Can, Oochie Wally, Quick To Back Down or naming your album the N word for attention

This dude stays talking about hate when he's the main one doing all the hatin'
smh.gif

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

examples please
laugh.gif

This dude stays talking about hate when he's the main one doing all the hatin'
smh.gif
I dont hate Nas I've said countless times Nas is in my top 5 Nas is a better lyricist than jay. But you got dudes in here that act like Jayisnt in Nas' radar or all of Jay's songs/albums suck

Originally Posted by M16

Stop.

Gets hated on for no real reason. He obviously was going for a certain audience with it.

N Please...
Nas is my favorite artist but that track blows...
from the horrible corny chorus to the factually incorrect information that he was dropping on that song....

Originally Posted by Master Zik

The only reason I even said that is because you foolish Nas stans keep saying "well he doesn't want to". That's bs...he hasn't because apparently he can't.
How you gonna say that in the beginning and say that again now but say this in the middle:
He realizes something seemingly Nas cannot or doesn't want to grasp.
So which is it? One min you disagree, then agree, now disagree again. My stance is it's just not Nas' style and its simply not in him to go commercial and market himself the way Ol Man Jigga has(not since IWW) i.e. he doesn't want to. Money is irrelevant and I didn't bring up money you did.

Oh and thanks for clearing that up Deuce King but reading through this thread it seems ppl are trying to tear both down in their own ways. Both of them lack in each other's areas of expertise but (and this is to everyone) doesn't mean they can't do it.

I said the same exact thing twice. Just worded it different. Seemingly=Apparently. I think it's bs because it's apparent that it is not something he can do....at least he hasn't shown that ability up to this point...especially not to the magnitude that Jay has. Money is just a tie along to that. All I said about money is...Nas must not want to make money, because he shows that it's not that important. No? I'm not saying your stance is wrong...just that it doesn't make sense for him to do that.

Like I said before cuz a rapper doesn't do something doesn't mean he can't. Maybe you should go through the thread and see the factsabout Nas attempting tp get that mainstream appeal in his music.

As for the bolded part
Irrelevant. I should've initially said that

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Originally Posted by M16

Stop.

N Please...
Nas is my favorite artist but that track blows...
from the horrible corny chorus to the factually incorrect information that he was dropping on that song....
Nas and incorrect information go hand in hand tho

The only reason I even said that is because you foolish Nas stans keep saying "well he doesn't want to". That's bs...he hasn't because apparently he can't.
How you gonna say that in the beginning and say that again now but say this in the middle:
He realizes something seemingly Nas cannot or doesn't want to grasp.
So which is it? One min you disagree, then agree, now disagree again. My stance is it's just not Nas' style and its simply not in him to go commercial and market himself the way Ol Man Jigga has(not since IWW) i.e. he doesn't want to. Money is irrelevant and I didn't bring up money you did.

Oh and thanks for clearing that up Deuce King but reading through this thread it seems ppl are trying to tear both down in their own ways. Both of them lack in each other's areas of expertise but (and this is to everyone) doesn't mean they can't do it.

I said the same exact thing twice. Just worded it different. Seemingly=Apparently. I think it's bs because it's apparent that it is not something he can do....at least he hasn't shown that ability up to this point...especially not to the magnitude that Jay has. Money is just a tie along to that. All I said about money is...Nas must not want to make money, because he shows that it's not that important. No? I'm not saying your stance is wrong...just that it doesn't make sense for him to do that.

Like I said before cuz a rapper doesn't do something doesn't mean he can't. Maybe you should go through the thread and see the facts about Nas attempting to get that mainstream appeal in his music.

As for the bolded part
Irrelevant. I should've initially said that

Right which is why I said apparent. He's had some success getting mainstream appeal just nowhere near Jay...and it's not even a bad thing for real.Hardly anyone can reach that level of mainstream appeal.........seems like this was all just miswording
wink.gif

Jayz is batman and nas is robin? I think if anything jayz is superman and nas is batman. If there are any comic book fans in here you will understand what Imean.

Originally Posted by M16

Stop.

Wy do u keep tryna ridicule jay-z for goin at a certain audience but u use it as an excuse for nas making a bad song?
laugh.gif
your hate runs deep.

Sales & Popularity aside...

I'd take the singles NaS released over the singles Jay has... I'm sayin that as a fan of hip hop...

Jay doesn't have a single better than "If I Ruled The World"... he doesn't have anything as gritty as "Theif's Theme" or asthought provoking as "I Can"...

Originally Posted by NJstress03

Jayz is batman and nas is robin? I think if anything jayz is superman and nas is batman. If there are any comic book fans in here you will understand what I mean.
thats a great comparison.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by NJstress03

Jayz is batman and nas is robin? I think if anything jayz is superman and nas is batman. If there are any comic book fans in here you will understand what I mean.
thats a great comparison.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

I'd take the singles NaS released over the singles Jay has... I'm sayin that as a fan of hip hop...

Jay doesn't have a single better than "If I Ruled The World"... he doesn't have anything as gritty as "Theif's Theme" or as thought provoking as "I Can"...

Can't Knock the Hustle, Dead Presidents 2>>>and Nas singles...

Jay doesn't have a single better than "If I Ruled The World"... he doesn't have anything as gritty as "Theif's Theme" or as thought provoking as "I Can"...
33cmzut.gif

_'s in here need to put that free public library card to use if "I Can" was thought provoking. Maybe to my little nephews.

Just my opinion, but I think its cuz Nas always had more of the conscience mixtures as well as the street coke flow. And as we all know majority of hip hopfame and sells goes towards crack and party records. I believe the only reason Nas got popular was cuz at the time he came out @+@++@ had to respect his %#%*cuz how ill he was and girls in the hood had crushes on son. That along with some ofcommercial stuff kept him popular. Jay on the other hand was know for hiscoke flow plus had more commercial hits.(not discredit jay cuz he had food for thought..I just think dudes was paying attention to that side of his rhymes)Plus when Big died I think the popularity torch went to the next nice brooklyn street rapper. Honestly, if Nas never rapped street #$% , I think he would be onthe same lane as mos , kweli or a whole bunch of other nice cats who aint that popular. But that's just my opinion.

Oihh ummm....

I think this is a perfect example of how popularity and sales work. In the end people support not just the music but the image. People took more of a liking toJay. That's how dumb the industry has become. People are sheep

Dead Presidents & Can't Knock The Hustle aren't even better than Nas singles off of Illmatic...

You can't be serious...

I could've sworn "I Can" was aimed towards your lil nephews... so you're proving my point...

Dead Presidents & Can't Knock The Hustle aren't even better than Nas singles off of Illmatic...

You can't be serious...

I could've sworn "I Can" was aimed towards your lil nephews... so you're proving my point...

Other than Aint Hard to Tell...Ill give u Illmatic...but thats where it stops...
and no way I let my nephew listen to I Can...I don't want him to become dumb like this N

Jay had clubs hits from working with Pharell and Timbaland

Nas never really had those club hits

and, like m16 said, their personalities

Jay's personality lends to commercial appear more than Nas'

Originally Posted by Dapper D

You can't be serious...

Other than Aint Hard to Tell...Ill give u Illmatic...but thats where it stops...
and no way I let my nephew listen to I Can...I don't want him to become dumb like this N
Oh the irony & ignorance

Back
Top Bottom