American Gangster...

Damn Naufal killed Blue Magic
eek.gif

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Joint is a classic. I know a lot of y'all _s hate Jay just cause life is cheating y'all....
Not sure I agree with your opinion on the album (although I like "I Know" quite a bit and no one else seems to), but that last line in yourthread was !***@$+ classic. HA!

I'm with Haze on this.

Reasonable Doubt
The Blueprint
The Black Album
American Gangster
In My Lifetime, Vol. 1
The Blueprint²: The Gift & The Curse
Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life
The Dynasty Roc La Familia
Kingdom Come
Vol. 3... Life And Times Of S. Carter

Originally Posted by TW3EK

^ i know has to grow on u... its like beer...

Well, the beer part is true, but it took me one repeat to get into it.

The random *#+ synthesizers just work together so well.

To me this is one of the most vivid depictions of a hustlers career ever laid down in Hip-Hop...

I mean....American Dreamin....pure genius. He brought mad wave to the game with that. When you ever hear an MC admit that "it ain't like theyprofessionals at moving the decimals...know where to cop? nah. got a connect? no...". Thats reality rap...This is really the _ you dream about with yourhomies steaming out....Son gave a step by step on how dudes stumlbe into the game over clouds of smoke while he playing that Marvin...classic _. I don'tknow how you can't feel something like this.

Roc Boys....Jay is the master of riding that line between hood classics and commerically appealing singles. And it gets no better than this. Real grown andgorgeous _. You ain't even got to bring ya paper out....Without sacrificing any of the feel and flow of the album he drops a 70's inspiredbanger...joint just snuck into every countdown...right in between Flo-Rida and Soulja Boy without skipping a beat or pandering to any specific demographic.This is a hustlers celebration right here...Captures that victorious bottle popping _ perfectly.

I know....joint is really addicting. Simple yet complex. Perfect beat. Perfect flow. A sampler of audio heron.

Party Life...roll one up....sip on a bottle of yac....two step it out with your main chick.....I could listen to this joint 30 times str8 under thoseconditions.

Ignorant _......lyrical genius over a epic beat. Who makes music like this besides Jay. Name em'. The flow that perfectly rides the track, the doublemeanings, dropping a message without forcing it on the listener...Scarface the movie did more than Scarface the rapper to me....still that ain't to blamefor all tehe _ that happened to me. Real _.

Say Hello...str8 menacing. Soon as that bet drop....joint can alter your whole mood. Have you making a scrunchy face in the middle of telling a joke and_....pure passion...you can hear it in dude voice. Its rare when a track can make you feel the same emotion as a scene from a good movie...this joint doesthat. Only God can judge him...only he without sin...tel me if my means justify my ends. Play this joint as loud as possible....hoody low, eyes red, bendingthe block or stomping through the Ps...

Success....Nas and Jay bully some wild church organs in an unortodox manner....need I say more.

Fallin....
smh.gif
. Genius...really ain't no other way to describe it. The way the tracks feels like its fallin...Jays flow...the way he run down theevents...the hook. Makes it feel like all that deck of cards that he laid on the first 12 tracks are really falling down.

American Gangster....he just got silly with it. Wildly lyrical. Perfect way to end the album. Probably my favorite track on the album. Joint always soundsfresh.

I don't know how y'all can just dismiss this album...like it ain't even close to being a classic. This is top quality Hip-Hop right here. Motionpicture _. Vol.1 is not on this level...I listen to these albums everyday and its not even close.

Classic? Not Yet....
Great Album? Yes

One of the best of this decade. It wasn't flawless to me, but when it first came out THIS WAS PURE HERON. I think it depends how well you can relate thetopics, but also the theme format was very smart. I was listening to %!%% 4 to 5 times a day. And this is at the point when I came back home to the streets andhad to play the game for a while. Every word was like a dose of reality.

The term classic though to me means an album has withstood the test of time. If I put this joint on 2 years from now and it still has the same effect as when Ifirst heard it, then without a doubt...CLASSIC!

Reasonable Doubt
Vol. 1
The Blueprint
The Black Album
Vol. 2
American Gangster
The Blueprint 2
Dynasty
Vol. 3
Kingdom Come

Changed my mind.
laugh.gif
Classic album. Seriously, I ain't wanna give Jaykudos for killin them so late in the game, but he straight murked the game with this joint. You see how homie bounced right back after the debacle that wasKingdom Come.

edit...

not classic...but its his 3rd best album....i agree he slid the whole concept thing to rap about the streets...

Originally Posted by chitown4eva

When its all said and done, its a gem in Jay's career. It's definitely a personal classic for me.

Album is one of my favorite albums of the last 2 years. it gets HEAVY rotation, even now.

I actually wasn't feeling the album at all when it first dropped. listened to it again a few weeks later and it's been getting play ever since.

I PERSONALLY like it better than Vol 2, and MAYBE even Vol 1.

Party Life, Ignorant Shh, I Know, Fallin', Pray
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

EDIT:

Reasonable Doubt
The Blueprint
The Black Album
American Gangster
In My Lifetime, Vol. 1
I got it something like that, but Blueprint up top and BA and AG are CLOSE.

Originally Posted by Tuff G0ng

I'm with Haze on this.

Reasonable Doubt
The Blueprint
The Black Album
American Gangster
In My Lifetime, Vol. 1
The Blueprint²: The Gift & The Curse
Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life
The Dynasty Roc La Familia
Kingdom Come
Vol. 3... Life And Times Of S. Carter

Thats pretty much how my list sums up....Except the last 3 i could close my eyes and shuffle, either of them could land at either of those spots...

AG is classic.....if not its only one reason why.

People dont like Hello Brooklyn.

EVERY song on there is heat, not one let down track, Lyrically he goes in on every single song, and the only other complain i might have, is Jay-z'sbars on Ignorant *%%+, i would have gave Beans the rest of the track to eat.

I dont skip a song on this album, and thats what i consider classic.

Look I don't know if its classic yet or not. I do know that AG was solid as hell though. I member all that hate for hello bk.....if that was like the worsetrack the lp wasn't that bad at all. I use to listen to the album str8 thru. It told a story. I havnt checked it in a while but it was very solid imo.

I agree with illscan I've been saying that ag was a cop out to talk about gansta stuff and drugs I mean the music is good though, but nothing spectacularabout the lyrics. I think jay had no choice, but to go back to talking about street things I mean who really wants to listen to "baby boi im all grownup"

Originally Posted by eastpointoutlaw

I agree with illscan I've been saying that ag was a cop out to talk about gansta stuff and drugs I mean the music is good though, but nothing spectacular about the lyrics. I think jay had no choice, but to go back to talking about street things I mean who really wants to listen to "baby boi im all grown up"

I don't understand. Hov himself said it was a concept album so why is the album being criticized for being one? Of course it was a way for Hov to speakon violence and drugs. Hov in a whole different game right now. He's not in Marcy anymore. He's one of the richest men in music. When you get to thatpoint either you stop rappin' or have to "concept albums" in order to rap about the same %$$ you did when you were in your 20's.
As far as a the topic creator goes....Test of time? Didn't that %$$ just drop last year lol? We stay trying to label %$$ "classics" inhip hop. I actually agree with you though. Not as far as classic goes(I Just think we need to wait atleast 5-10 years before we label albums classics) but asfar as the album goes. Its a great album. I'd rank it behind Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt. Production-wise its as good as any other Hov album.Lyrics-wise honestly its some of the weaker %$$ Hov has spit in his career but that's not a diss towards him. I'd rank his lyrics about a B. There werejust some punchlines and metaphors on there that where just average. Didn't hit as hard as they usually do.

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

Classic? Disagree. But I do feel like its one hell of an album. My only problem with it is 'Hello Brooklyn' and the chorus for 'Ignorant %%%$' could've been better. Besides that, its one of my favorite Jay albums.
Right on point with the problems, but I feel it is a classic.

I love this album, but feel the same way. Other than those 2 problems, it is flawless. Anyone who dont like it - Listen to it a few times, it will grow on you.

One of my favs - Always in rotation..

EDIT - Success was perfect for Jay and Nas. Nobody could have made that as good as they did...

Ok "concept" albums so when the blue print 3 drop will this be a concept album too. To be honest I think hov put it on his self to limit his streettalk when he came out with kingdome come that's I mean if you done lived a street life you should be able to talk about it or elaborate on it no matter howrich you are or old you are. Jay did it to himself when he came out with that grown up crap to me that limited his subject matter. What he gone talk abouteating lobsters and playing golf

It has passed the test of time

the test of time?

it hasn't even been a year since the joint came out.

AG is a'ight, better than KC, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by Air Bonilla 23

Totally agree. Album is
pimp.gif
from start to finish. Doubted Hello Brooklyn at first, but it's fire in the whip. The production is solid and the lyrics are on point. People might not agree but give it 2 or 3 years.... it's gonna be up there with the top 3 Jay albums.

Sweet
pimp.gif

Agreed, when I put on that I know, the females fall vic to it.Goes over thier head, thinking he's talking about a female & his relationship
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DaGreatJ

Album is brilliant... totally made up for the pure garbage of Kingdom Come

I still say KG wasn't pure garbage. Just unexpected.

Folks in the biz were talkin like this was gonna be a historic piece of musical work months before it came out. The hype killed it plain and simple. It wasprobably his weakest effort, but it still wasn't that bad.

Folks are too quick to drop strong +%% labels.

Back
Top Bottom