AND 1 - Discussion / New Releases [ 2007 Samples pg.17 ]

^ Skip II's actually...

skip2_whtroy.jpg

they not a new release, he's just breaking em' out?

I wish he'd pull off some streetball handles on deron williams man!

Ellis is wearing the Onslaught. They are not the shoes in the wallpaper above. The Onslaught will be a statement level product that will retail for more than the Cornering Mid (in the wallpaper above). The Cornering will be cheaper.
. . .and its been this way forever. . .
[email protected]

^ i think the Cornering Mid's are his. bcuz i remember i seen a heel pic of his shoe and it was the same colorway and they look very similier. If it is GJ JT now lets see ur J's

Wow JT..."statement level"...we both know from experience that And1 won't unfortunately make much of a statement. They will just release the shoe and that will be that...maybe an add in the usual pages of SLAM. No bitterness there (in all honesty), just saying. Anyway, thanks for the clarification for the masses on what shoe is what.

^ Shoe God, I've Pm'ed you, but regardless...

And1 in my mind is leading the sneaker game today... Yes, not in sales, advertisments, or perhaps not every NBA player is rocking them. But, (and this takes the cake), And1 seems to create foward-thinking shoes, that offer new performance benefits at killer prices, unlike other companies. Other companies stick with age-old setups presented in a slightly newer aesthetic setup, but with the Edge, Franchise, Vapor, and Mystique, the box was definitely opened.

In my humble opinion, And 1 does a terrific job producing shoes that most guards, and foward thinking guards like to play in. Nike on the other hand, produces a gorgeous looking Lebron IV, but negates more than half of the market by making them weigh anywhere from 23-28 oz. I know as a guard or small foward that I like playing in shoes with great fit, great traction, and great court feel. Anyways, I've comprised a list of pros and cons on my thoughts of And 1, and while I am a rather atypical consumer, I do believe my thoughts are not totally folly.

Positives :pimp:
pimp.gif

Negatives

-Inability to find products. And1.com, zappos.com and shoes.com provide the most viable options for purchasing And1 shoes...I realize that's totally out of the designer's control, but I believe over the past 2 years, I've seen the Dunk On Mid, Mystique, Fly Mid, and some leftover Ballistix in Finishline, Champs, and Footlocker. (Keep in mind this is in Madison, Wisconsin)

--Lack of advertising. I rarely see anything for And1 besides the Streetball show on ESPN, which seems to be losing it's favor and popularity, and in Slam as Shoe God mentioned above. This thread is a testament that what you guys are doing is right. This 30+ page thread is mostly filled with love and accolades---keep in mind this is from people that are more Swoosh-Biased than the mainstream populace. If availability were better, and advertising on televisiono and in more magazines was more prevalent, And1's incredibly low pricepoints, light, fast designs, would appeal to kids, teens, parents, and ballplayers alike.

PEACE.

Jbutta_

You make excellent points.

I do think that for the last few years the basketball market has been very boring; with VERY few exceptions. Big players release so-so product and rely on their logos and advertising to cover that up. It wasn't always like this...and it doesn't have to be either. And1 doesn't have the marketing machine that other brands do...and there are some issues that have been noted about the way they run their business that actually hurts their positioning in the marketplace. There are some other factors from the retail side of things that make it hard for them to get shelf space...again, not helping.

So And1 has to do something different from a product standpoint. The Tai Chi was different. The Tochillin was different. The Rise, the Chosen 1, the Edge, and a few others. The Onslaught will be different...and what comes out in early 2008 (if it makes it) even MORE so...but see my post above for why you might not ever see why. The point is And1 has to push designs that go against what is happening in the marketplace, because for one,they can't compete if they sling the same crap as the bigger players. Secondly, marketing isn't going to be there, so the product has to speak as loud as it can about the brand. Most importantly, people such as myself that were, or some that still are involved with And1 want to produce good product, and won't settle for what fills the walls of shoe stores today.

I have had a discussion with a fellow designer friend of mine...and he and I point out the kinds of shoes that were around back in the day, and how inspiring that product was, and how innovative and new and different it seemed it was every time you went to retail. Those shoes made us want to draw our own, to find out who was creating this product; and it drove us to find out about what we needed to do to become footwear designers. Sadly, and this brings me back to the discussion that this person and I have had, that if we were coming up today, that if we were looking at what was in the marketplace, that we wouldn't be inspired to become footwear designers.

I know there are still plenty of guys coming up that do see whats out there and still want to do it. I think thats great, its just unfortunate that the bar has been set so low. I guess I would just say that you need to sift through the crap, and look for good design, because it is still out there.

THE SHOE GOD HAS SPOKEN

Back in 7th grade, I went shoe shopping, and the Tai Chis (didn't know what it was back then) caught my eye. I was very conscious about getting them because I was scared kids would make fun of me because AND1 wasn't a big company, so I eventually settled for Nikes that I didn't want.

Now that I'm much older and more confident, I can safely say that AND1 is definitely my favorite shoe company. I've played basketball in all types of shoes, and I could say that AND1 is the best overall in my experience, and all of my grails are AND1s.

Myspace

here in kuwait and1 is number 1 in basketball shoes and apparel for the past 5years...

Quote:
I do think that for the last few years the basketball market has been very boring; with VERY few exceptions.
ed on the KG4 or the Duncan shoejust horrendous.

The one plus I saw this year was with the Gil-Zero. First, I voraciously attack the chance to play in most lows, but I loved the design on these. First, the ForMotion bubbles do affect performance in a good way. Secondly, I love the integration of the Stripes into the design as a performance benefit. Why isnt that done more often. The fact that the 3 Stripes was used to help tooling is awesome.

Now back to And 1. Again, as I stated in my above post and Shoe God touched on, is that And 1 takes chances, and creates new performance possibilities for sneakers on the hardwood. I really dont want to see how the Huarache 2K6 can slightly morph into a slightly different 2K7 model I mean sure, they may look a bit different, but essentially, performance is the same. And 1, took a very simple idea with the Edge, and continues to drastically try to improve the model through new things. You can see the minimalism of the Edge in Franchise upper, but the Franchise introduced the uber-awesome L2G, a stitched upper, and car-like detailing on its midsole. At the same time, the Edge was spun in a different direction with the Vapori.e.the full length stability plate, the ankle windows, and the asymmetrical lacing pattern. As a buyer who appreciates new, sleek, atypical designs I can appreciate this in two ways. Because shoes like the Edge and Franchise incorporate characteristics of the Edge like its minimalistic upper, awesome fit, and great court feel, I know Ill enjoy playing in them. At the same time, the design drastically changes, which allows me to enjoy the changes being made---all with performance in mind.

does anybody know where i can find the key specs for these new AND1 shoes.
Key specs (as in all the technology thats incoporated in the shoe)
So for the shoes like: Mystique, Edge, Franchise, Vapor
Or u guys can share ur knowledge

Mystique: Full mesh innersleeve, Trinity heel and forefoot cushioning set-up, heel pull tab, leather upper

Edge: combination nubuck/synthetic leather upper, translucent outsole, EVA midsole

Franchise: combination full-grain leather/patent leather upper, heel and forefoot Low-2-Ground cushioning unit, sculpted midsole that works as support footbucket

Vapor: perforated leather upper, lateral support wings, full-length spring plate, EVA midsole

Shoe God -- those will be releasing...and I heard the news, congrats bud, hopefully things work out well for both parties.
DON'T PUT UP NO BRICK​
The B.O.P.​
Expect Dominance. Every Angle. Every Ability.

What are "Mad Game" insoles, and since Nike seems to be at the top, how does "Trinity, L2G, and Harmonix" compare to zoom air or air max

Quote:
And 1 Begins Lifestyle Pushed on street basketball courts, was eventually moved to indoor arenas. This summer, the games are being moved outside to reconnect with the street ball roots of the brand.

"This year, we're going into the top 10 media markets and we're going to build a 5,000-seat venue in each of those cities," Woolsey said. "We're going back to a blacktop type of format."

Best of luck to And1 on all of that, I hope that it works for the people there...and if it does it will be in spite of useless individuals.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. . .shoe god, do I detect some hostility? No really, though, I know exactly what you are saying. Hopefully the product can continue down the path we were trying to take it, but I am seriously worried about that happening. I just hope people get to see the stuff that you and L-Train had in store for them.
. . .and its been this way forever. . .
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom