Another Animal Cruelty video: Turkey farm

I was just simply acknowledging the absolute fact that their choices cause animals to suffer - those that die in harvesting combines and threshing machines,and those that starve to death because their habitats were mowed down, and those that die on meat farms which supply the vegetable farms with the fertilizerthey use every day.

My point is, we both have to make choices about how we do and don't want to use animals in our lives. The fact that your choices are different from minedoesn't make either one of us a bad person. I respect your right to make those choices, and hope that you can respect my right to do the same.

eventually, i'll be changing my diet where i only consume foods like sushi, salads, etc. but for a different reason. we don't know what they'reloading these animals up with these days, whether it's steroids or other harmful things. i may enjoy a premium cut steak once in a while, but in my opinionwe can live without burger king and bacon everyday. the way these animals are treated can further validate my beliefs... and yeah, i know sushi is made up ofprimarily fish but at in my opinion it's not as bad

wow dude
frown.gif
mad.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

I was just simply acknowledging the absolute fact that their choices cause animals to suffer - those that die in harvesting combines and threshing machines, and those that starve to death because their habitats were mowed down, and those that die on meat farms which supply the vegetable farms with the fertilizer they use every day.

My point is, we both have to make choices about how we do and don't want to use animals in our lives. The fact that your choices are different from mine doesn't make either one of us a bad person. I respect your right to make those choices, and hope that you can respect my right to do the same.
As I've said, it's a tremendous privilege to have the luxury of choosing your own diet as opposed to having your diet dictated bynecessity. Rather than taking that for granted, I wish more people would consciously and thoughtfully make their own dietary decisions - whatever they may be.

Reasonable people can differ regarding the ethics of consuming animal products. Nearly everyone I know consumes animal products, so it's not as though Ilook down my nose at them. I would, however, encourage anyone who does feel strongly about animal rights/welfare to act on those concerns, just as we expect someone passionate about the environment to adjust their purchasing decisions accordinglyeven though they know that, just to sustain their own life functions and earn a living, they consume natural resources. We don't tell them, "well,the best sacrifice you could make for the planet is to kill yourself - that'd reduce your carbon footprint by 100%." Not only is that cruel, it'suntrue: the reduction in pollution and consumption they could effect as an activist among everyone they come into direct or indirect contact with would morethan exceed the amount of resources consumption or pollution they would be directly or indirectly responsible during their lifetime.

In your first post, it seemed as though you were implying that, because the line isn't always clear, vegetarianism and/or veganism are pointless. Surelythere's a distinction to be made between indirect and direct harm and those who choose to abstain from purchasing or ingesting animal products are actingto reduce demand for those products and increase demand for alternatives - and that includes an increased demand for safe, sustainable horticulture. More andmore farmers are beginning to use crop rotations and plant composting as sources of fertilizer, for example, often for health and environmental reasons. Usingstock-free farming techniques prevents contamination via bacteria present in the digestive systems and waste of livestock. So, to just say "oh screw it -everything kills something" would be both short-sighted and an ethical and cognitive shortcut. The whole point is to make informed decisions.

You can be a strict vegetarian, for example, and purchase genetically modified soy products processed using hexane. Greater awareness has resulted in greaterconsumer choice. We have more and better options today for vegetarians than we did 20 years ago - in part because consumers have demonstrated a demand fororganic products, non-GMO products, for animal-free products, thus and so. The more information people gather, the better informed their decisions will be. Some people have committed to doing the best they can, and that requires constant reevaluation and improvement as new information and opportunities emerge. We're all in a state of transition and, hopefully, working to get better each day.

The person who decides "I don't want to be responsible for any direct harm to or exploitation of sentient creatures and I want to minimize theindirect harm my purchasing decisions may entail," ought to look at that as a lifestyle choice, not a one time decision, just as someone who commits toliving a healthy, active lifestyle ought to continually explore avenues to improvement and avail themselves of the latest information and opportunitiesavailable to enhance their diet and fitness regimen.

The lifestyle choice itself represents a direction - not a destination.

Man, I don't know if I want to watch this.
Just got done eating turkey.

I'm already giving up pork because of the other video that was posted before.
=/

I didn't think it was as bad as them pigs. It's all messed up but wasn't as bad

Originally Posted by Method Man

I've cut back on meat and dairy products tremendously over the years to the point the only meat I consume regularly is organic, free-range chicken. I know the organic, free-range label can be a little deceptive since the FDA only requires that they have access to the open outdoors but doesn't state how long...but in my mind I like to assume the best. Ice cream is another weakness for me and I'm not sure I could give that up. One of the hardest things, for me at least, is that it would just be too difficult to have to explain to friends and family that I no longer consume these foods. Especially when eating certain types of foods plays a role in the relationship as silly as that might sound. For example, I have one particular longtime friend who now has his own family and generally the only time we spend together is meeting up for lunch, dinner, or going to his parents home for a meal. We like to go to familiar places to get certain types of food which we have a bond for and meat is almost always involved. So in a way I feel like our relationship would be harmed.

For me, the peer pressure / nonconformative aspect of it really hasn't been much of a change. I was at a party on election night, for example, and being the only one who wasn't eating pizza was no big deal - I was also the only person who wasn't drinking, and that's a decision I made very early on in life. Nobody ever gives me a hard time about it. Most people seem to understand why someone wouldn't want to drink alcohol or use drugs, but they don't understand why someone wouldn't eat meat, dairy, eggs, etc. - especially if you're a guy. They respect my decision, but at the same time people are often curious.

It is a choice you have to explain all the time. You can see that as a negative, a burden, an irritant, or you can look at it as a positive - that you're regularly presented opportunities to show people another way of living. Like many people, I'm a firm believer in Mohandas Gandhi's maxim, "You must be the change you wish to see in this world." The impact that you, as an individual, can effect as a result of the elimination or even reduction of animal products from your diet is certainly respectable. You can be proud of that, if for no other reason than for your own health and the opportunity to live a lifestyle that's in better alignment with your ideals. If you look at it from an activist mindset, though, you want to try and positively influence others and you embrace networking opportunities in that regard - ways to influence someone who can, in turn, influence others and exponentially amplify the desired change.

this i can relate to everytime i drink an alcoholic beverage my uvula swells up, it got bad where it would hurt to swallow anything. I vowed afterthat to never drink again. designated driver
grin.gif
I always get invitedthough
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

I was just simply acknowledging the absolute fact that their choices cause animals to suffer - those that die in harvesting combines and threshing machines, and those that starve to death because their habitats were mowed down, and those that die on meat farms which supply the vegetable farms with the fertilizer they use every day.

My point is, we both have to make choices about how we do and don't want to use animals in our lives. The fact that your choices are different from mine doesn't make either one of us a bad person. I respect your right to make those choices, and hope that you can respect my right to do the same.
As I've said, it's a tremendous privilege to have the luxury of choosing your own diet as opposed to having your diet dictated by necessity. Rather than taking that for granted, I wish more people would consciously and thoughtfully make their own dietary decisions - whatever they may be.

Reasonable people can differ regarding the ethics of consuming animal products. Nearly everyone I know consumes animal products, so it's not as though I look down my nose at them. I would, however, encourage anyone who does feel strongly about animal rights/welfare to act on those concerns, just as we expect someone passionate about the environment to adjust their purchasing decisions accordingly even though they know that, just to sustain their own life functions and earn a living, they consume natural resources. We don't tell them, "well, the best sacrifice you could make for the planet is to kill yourself - that'd reduce your carbon footprint by 100%." Not only is that cruel, it's untrue: the reduction in pollution and consumption they could effect as an activist among everyone they come into direct or indirect contact with would more than exceed the amount of resources consumption or pollution they would be directly or indirectly responsible during their lifetime.

In your first post, it seemed as though you were implying that, because the line isn't always clear, vegetarianism and/or veganism are pointless. Surely there's a distinction to be made between indirect and direct harm and those who choose to abstain from purchasing or ingesting animal products are acting to reduce demand for those products and increase demand for alternatives - and that includes an increased demand for safe, sustainable horticulture. More and more farmers are beginning to use crop rotations and plant composting as sources of fertilizer, for example, often for health and environmental reasons. Using stock-free farming techniques prevents contamination via bacteria present in the digestive systems and waste of livestock. So, to just say "oh screw it - everything kills something" would be both short-sighted and an ethical and cognitive shortcut. The whole point is to make informed decisions.

You can be a strict vegetarian, for example, and purchase genetically modified soy products processed using hexane. Greater awareness has resulted in greater consumer choice. We have more and better options today for vegetarians than we did 20 years ago - in part because consumers have demonstrated a demand for organic products, non-GMO products, for animal-free products, thus and so. The more information people gather, the better informed their decisions will be. Some people have committed to doing the best they can, and that requires constant reevaluation and improvement as new information and opportunities emerge. We're all in a state of transition and, hopefully, working to get better each day.

The person who decides "I don't want to be responsible for any direct harm to or exploitation of sentient creatures and I want to minimize the indirect harm my purchasing decisions may entail," ought to look at that as a lifestyle choice, not a one time decision, just as someone who commits to living a healthy, active lifestyle ought to continually explore avenues to improvement and avail themselves of the latest information and opportunities available to enhance their diet and fitness regimen.

Points taken, you're real passionate on this issue, good on you I say.

I love animals as much as the next man, but damn, what happened to "out of sight, out of mind." Yes, God put us in control of these animals to takecare of and to not be inhumane or whatnot, but it's an animal for pete's sake. It's not like we are devouring conscious beings. Turkeys are cute, Ilike the way they look. They never did anything wrong to me. But we can't be some sort of buddist society worshipping a cow or some nonsense like that.

I detest animal cruelty, but I'm not going to stop eating meat or whathaveyou just because some idiot on a turkey farm decided to be highly idiotic.

As I've said, it's a tremendous privilege to have the luxury of choosing your own diet as opposed to having your diet dictated by necessity. Rather than taking that for granted, I wish more people would consciously and thoughtfully make their own dietary decisions - whatever they may be.

Reasonable people can differ regarding the ethics of consuming animal products. Nearly everyone I know consumes animal products, so it's not as though I look down my nose at them. I would, however, encourage anyone who does feel strongly about animal rights/welfare to act on those concerns, just as we expect someone passionate about the environment to adjust their purchasing decisions accordingly even though they know that, just to sustain their own life functions and earn a living, they consume natural resources. We don't tell them, "well, the best sacrifice you could make for the planet is to kill yourself - that'd reduce your carbon footprint by 100%." Not only is that cruel, it's untrue: the reduction in pollution and consumption they could effect as an activist among everyone they come into direct or indirect contact with would more than exceed the amount of resources consumption or pollution they would be directly or indirectly responsible during their lifetime.

In your first post, it seemed as though you were implying that, because the line isn't always clear, vegetarianism and/or veganism are pointless. Surely there's a distinction to be made between indirect and direct harm and those who choose to abstain from purchasing or ingesting animal products are acting to reduce demand for those products and increase demand for alternatives - and that includes an increased demand for safe, sustainable horticulture. More and more farmers are beginning to use crop rotations and plant composting as sources of fertilizer, for example, often for health and environmental reasons. Using stock-free farming techniques prevents contamination via bacteria present in the digestive systems and waste of livestock. So, to just say "oh screw it - everything kills something" would be both short-sighted and an ethical and cognitive shortcut. The whole point is to make informed decisions.

You can be a strict vegetarian, for example, and purchase genetically modified soy products processed using hexane. Greater awareness has resulted in greater consumer choice. We have more and better options today for vegetarians than we did 20 years ago - in part because consumers have demonstrated a demand for organic products, non-GMO products, for animal-free products, thus and so. The more information people gather, the better informed their decisions will be. Some people have committed to doing the best they can, and that requires constant reevaluation and improvement as new information and opportunities emerge. We're all in a state of transition and, hopefully, working to get better each day.

The person who decides "I don't want to be responsible for any direct harm to or exploitation of sentient creatures and I want to minimize the indirect harm my purchasing decisions may entail," ought to look at that as a lifestyle choice, not a one time decision, just as someone who commits to living a healthy, active lifestyle ought to continually explore avenues to improvement and avail themselves of the latest information and opportunities available to enhance their diet and fitness regimen.

Ok so I haven't been on this site in quite sometime, but received the message about the 9[sup]th[/sup] anniversary just now. Congrats NT, as I have been a member for many moons. Not always on, but still an avid collector and respect the site for its long hall.

In seeing the title of the post, my attention was caught right away. I did not, nor will I watch the video. I receive things like this from PETA all the time and they are way too disturbing to look at. I am an avid believer in Karma, and it will comeback to them one way or another.

What is crazy to me is that while reading the replies, it really saddens me to realize that the youth of this world are so completely ignorant in what goes on around them. Many complain about the smallest, dumbest things and never really see the big picture. I eat meat and doubt that will ever change. I AM however conscious about the things that I do consume and the decisions I may in life. KFC, for example is no longer on my fast food run of the mill list of things to "grab" to eat in a rush.

This Thanksgiving, we did have a Turkey, just like every other year (except for the one where the oven was broken and we had to go to Boston Market - which by the way I wonder how they treat they animals; the chicken always used to seem too "plump" for my taste) and I was not the one who did the shopping. I feel very guilty about eating a "Butterball" now that I realize that I did not take a stand after work to push for going to Whole Foods, or Stew Leonard to purchase our holiday items. I push many of my ideals on my mom for she grew up in an era of "hear none, see none, speak none". Although I am not a vegetarian or vegan, I do believe in rights, and try my best to do my part. I am recycling fanatic (both from living in a house and having to avoid hefty fines, and because I was taught this is the right thing to do from an early age) and try to pass on my ideals to anyone around willing to learn.

For the past few years, I have been very active in learning about Animal Testing/Cruelty. From signing up for, and donating to PETA (http://www.peta.org/index.asphttp://www.peta.org/index.asp) every year. I regularly check sites that list companies and Do and Do Not test on animals or use animal ingredients in their products (http://search.caringconsumer.com/http://search.caringconsumer.com/). Some may brag about not testing, but have side companies that do, or items they use from others may do as well. It pains me to know that people who have pets, or love animals would think there is no harm done in not taking stand in not purchasing from these Conglomerates (Procter & Gamble, Kimberly Clark, Johnson & Johnson, Scott). Some of the more conscious companies can be a little costly, but it pays in the need for me in knowing that Bambi or Mickey was not harmed in the process. I am still in shock that Iams (http://www.iamscruelty.com/http://www.iamscruelty.com/) and Eukanuba not only conduct studies on animals, but also USE those tainted animals in the FOOD they produce and sell to the consumer! I am also going to try to not purchase items from companies that use animals in their clothing also (i.e. J.Crew, Coach). These are two of my absolute favorite places to shop, but who knows what they do to these animals and what is done with the rest of them in the process.

I find it a coincidence that I receive an email the day I started this post (been busy at work, and with the holidays, so yeah I put it off) from a magazine that sends quotes regularly. And it happened to be the one above from Ghandi. Before going to NT, I sent this quote to many in my phone book, trying to spread the word and common sense. Some responded with thanks, some with more Ghandi quotes, other just don't get it… the mind is a terrible thing to waste let me tell yah.

Meth, I have to tell you that I admire your benevolence and dedication to vegetarianism and the welfare of animals and humans alike. I wish more people would open up and realize that some things are just not needed and others are by choice in the year of technology.

Happy Holiday and New Year Everyone.

Back
Top Bottom