Anti-Americans in America

I really don't understand the, "Since you are here, you shouldn't have anything negative to say about this place" logic. Does this same logic apply to educational institutions as well If I decide to go to Cornell, but I get there and experience immense racism do I not have the right to speak up because I went there for a better life?

I really don't understand the, "Since you are here, you shouldn't have anything negative to say about this place" logic. Does this same logic apply to educational institutions as well If I decide to go to Cornell, but I get there and experience immense racism do I not have the right to speak up because I went there for a better life?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

If you don't like Cornell or what it has to offer, you can leave. You don't have to pay your $50,000 to stay there a year if you aren't happy. You can make it at another educational, and quite frankly, Cornell isn't the best.

Like an immigrant, if you don't like the states, go to the second best you could probably still make it, but if the states is 100x better than what you are used to, then you should be overjoyed for what it is giving you. 

If you don't like Cornell or what it has to offer, you can leave. You don't have to pay your $50,000 to stay there a year if you aren't happy. You can make it at another educational, and quite frankly, Cornell isn't the best.

Like an immigrant, if you don't like the states, go to the second best you could probably still make it, but if the states is 100x better than what you are used to, then you should be overjoyed for what it is giving you. 

Originally Posted by tkthafm

Originally Posted by WiLLMaTiC

God forbid folks "have the nerve" to come here and "reap benefits" in a country built on centuries of whole sale exploitation on a global scale.
Okay, just because a few old white men decided to steal land and bomb countries, doesn't mean that the others didnt work harder to be in the position they are in today. Let's be realistic here, almost every American that came here had nothing. They weren't rolling in high stacks. They had to work for what they had, and then drizzled down onto others.

Did this post respond to my statement, help your argument, or have any point at all ?   

Because I don't see it. (serious)

You are saying that Americans have exploited people on both a domestic and global scale, however, I am saying that only a few people(old white men) have done such a thing. It isn't fair to categorize all Americans under what has occurred because to be honest, the future of any nation is always in few people's hands. Poor people have ventured to America, and even forced to come here. Those people still struggled hard to become successful individuals(the American dream). Therefore, people coming here seeking this American dream should be greatful for the opportunity.

God forbid folks "have the nerve" to come here and "reap benefits" in a country built on centuries of whole sale exploitation on a global scale.
Okay, just because a few old white men decided to steal land and bomb countries, doesn't mean that the others didnt work harder to be in the position they are in today. Let's be realistic here, almost every American that came here had nothing. They weren't rolling in high stacks. They had to work for what they had, and then drizzled down onto others.

Did this post respond to my statement, help your argument, or have any point at all ?   

You are saying that Americans have exploited people on both a domestic and global scale, however, I am saying that only a few people(old white men) have done such a thing. It isn't fair to categorize all Americans under what has occurred because to be honest, the future of any nation is always in few people's hands. Poor people have ventured to America, and even forced to come here. Those people still struggled hard to become successful individuals(the American dream). Therefore, people coming here seeking this American dream should be greatful for the opportunity.

But who is to say I can't stay somewhere just because I don't like certain things about the place. Why is the response to criticism always, "Well you can leave." If I want to leave and I feel I can do better elsewhere, I can leave. But that doesn't mean I can't/shouldn't voice my displeasure just because I am staying put.

Again, the idea of, "Don't complain or if you do, LEAVE" logic just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Just because I complain about SOME things doesn't mean I am unhappy overall.

But who is to say I can't stay somewhere just because I don't like certain things about the place. Why is the response to criticism always, "Well you can leave." If I want to leave and I feel I can do better elsewhere, I can leave. But that doesn't mean I can't/shouldn't voice my displeasure just because I am staying put.

Again, the idea of, "Don't complain or if you do, LEAVE" logic just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

No one is saying you can't complain about somethings. Complaining is in the human blood, but blatantly disrespecting something(look at my example in the OP) is an example of something that just shouldn't happen due to the better opportunities given.

No one is saying you can't complain about somethings. Complaining is in the human blood, but blatantly disrespecting something(look at my example in the OP) is an example of something that just shouldn't happen due to the better opportunities given.

Ok so at what point is someone "allowed" to blatantly disrespect someone of a nation that they aren't native to? If an Iranian moved to the US in 1993, does he now have the "right" to be disrespectful and bad mouth a Dirty American?

Ok so at what point is someone "allowed" to blatantly disrespect someone of a nation that they aren't native to? If an Iranian moved to the US in 1993, does he now have the "right" to be disrespectful and bad mouth a Dirty American?

My only issue with this is the fact that rarely are the people that complain actually familiar with other countries.

My only issue with this is the fact that rarely are the people that complain actually familiar with other countries.

You are saying that Americans have exploited people on both a domestic and global scale, however, I am saying that only a few people(old white men) have done such a thing. It isn't fair to categorize all Americans under what has occurred because to be honest, the future of any nation is always in few people's hands.

I didn't categorize anybody. All I stated was that this country was built on and stands where it does currently due to exploitation, this is indisputable fact. 

Poor people have ventured to America, and even forced to come here. Those people still struggled hard to become successful individuals(the American dream). 

Just as the woman in your OP most likely. Let's not forget or gloss over the fact that those "forced" to come here may very well have been because their homeland was raped by Western imperialism. 

Therefore, people coming here seeking this American dream should be greatful for the opportunity

Why exactly should they be grateful ? ESPECIALLY if they come from a region left in carnage by American greed ? They come here, work hard, help the US economy, and achieve "the american dream". Fair enough. They are only doing what the US is built on: chasing the dollar. There should be no expectation of these folks to suddenly bow down and become unyielding patriots just because our great nation allowed them the privilege of working here (
laugh.gif
) Realize that it is all about the money and the relationship works both ways. I'll wait for America to start "respecting" the globe before I hold immigrants to that standard. 

You are saying that Americans have exploited people on both a domestic and global scale, however, I am saying that only a few people(old white men) have done such a thing. It isn't fair to categorize all Americans under what has occurred because to be honest, the future of any nation is always in few people's hands.

I didn't categorize anybody. All I stated was that this country was built on and stands where it does currently due to exploitation, this is indisputable fact. 

Poor people have ventured to America, and even forced to come here. Those people still struggled hard to become successful individuals(the American dream). 

Just as the woman in your OP most likely. Let's not forget or gloss over the fact that those "forced" to come here may very well have been because their homeland was raped by Western imperialism. 

Therefore, people coming here seeking this American dream should be greatful for the opportunity

Why exactly should they be grateful ? ESPECIALLY if they come from a region left in carnage by American greed ? They come here, work hard, help the US economy, and achieve "the american dream". Fair enough. They are only doing what the US is built on: chasing the dollar. There should be no expectation of these folks to suddenly bow down and become unyielding patriots just because our great nation allowed them the privilege of working here (
laugh.gif
) Realize that it is all about the money and the relationship works both ways. I'll wait for America to start "respecting" the globe before I hold immigrants to that standard. 

No because he is then an American. He should no longer distinguish himself as different than an American no matter how long he has spent living in Iran. He can keep his values and his culture, but blatantly disrespecting the country that has offered more than his oppressed country ever could, is a clear reason of why it's wrong to do so.

No because he is then an American. He should no longer distinguish himself as different than an American no matter how long he has spent living in Iran. He can keep his values and his culture, but blatantly disrespecting the country that has offered more than his oppressed country ever could, is a clear reason of why it's wrong to do so.

Ok well what do you say to Americans that blatantly disrespect other Americans/America? Do you have anything to say about them? I mean they should be "grateful" of the chance they have in this wonderful nation right?

Ok well what do you say to Americans that blatantly disrespect other Americans/America? Do you have anything to say about them? I mean they should be "grateful" of the chance they have in this wonderful nation right?

Other than racial and social class, I have never seen an American disrespect another American because they were an American lol.

Americans can critique the gov't. That's fine with me, but when you stereotype and disrespect Americans as a whole(dirty Americans), then that is wrong. I have never seen an American due this to another American though.

Other than racial and social class, I have never seen an American disrespect another American because they were an American lol.

Americans can critique the gov't. That's fine with me, but when you stereotype and disrespect Americans as a whole(dirty Americans), then that is wrong. I have never seen an American due this to another American though.

Here's my take on this thing as a first generation american of west indian/caribbean decent.
As for the West Indian lady*  she is here most likely for one single purpose: earning more of the almighty dollar.  She does not have to like the people who were born here, she can say whatever she wants to.  That is one of the beauties of this country.  Also, she was clearly commenting on the person's behaviour, and disgusting it is.

Another thing that I would like to say is that by pointing out something or somebodys flaws, does not make you against them entirely.  It just means that see something that needs to be reformed -- and that can come from a place of love, a neutral place, or a place of hatred.  She was pointing out a flaw that happens to often on American streets (especially in NYC/subways).  

* WHO EVER SAID SHE IS FROM WEST INDIA (I DID SEE IT UP THERE BEFORE, YOU ARE ONLY PROVING HER, AND OTHER PEOPLES POINT THAT AMERICANS ARE DUMB.  THE REGION IS CALLED THE WEST INDIES, ALSO REFERRED TO AS THE CARIBBEAN!

EDIT: 

iYen wrote:
tkthafm wrote:

Herp Derp.

On another note:You can take the lady outta West India but you can't take the West India outta her.
Her attitude towards Americans isn't going change just because she lives in America. 
Its like an atheist that goes to a christian church.

mad.gif
indifferent.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom