Antihero appreciation

Originally Posted by iYen

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

How are Shane, Itatchi, Scar, and Magneto anti-heroes? Especially Shane and Magneto.

Shane: He wants what's best for the group but is realistic about his approach. Whereas Rick is always trying to save somebody.
Spoiler [+]
When the secret comes out that Shane killed Otis, Rick was like I ain't even mad. That to me shows that Rick and Shane's heroic qualities are very similar. The main difference is that Shane isn't as naive as Rick.
Itachi: Made the ultimate sacrafice to prevent the village from being destroyed.
Scar: At the end of fmab, it's implied that he becomes just like that other Ishvalan.
Magneto: Rather than wanting to coexist with the humans, he would rather have mutants rule.
To me I saw Shane as an obsessed savage going through psychosis. Naivete and being realistic is one thing but he just seems too quick to jump in to that no rules no civility mode no matter what. Son was just an outright egoist and not being smart enough to hide it.

Itachi to me was just a lame soldier taking orders. The ultimate sacrifice can't be being seen as a crazy mass murderer and traitor because the truth of the matter is you were ordered to be a mass murderer to save the village. The way his actions were explained it would make more sense if they had lied to him about why he had to kill his own clan. IMO Kishi just did not do a good job.

Oh well in the end yeah, maybe, but throughout the story Scar's just killing for revenge in both versions.

Magneto through the various stories in the X-Men has evolved in to Hitler and that isn't just some nazi argument I'm throwing out there son was so twisted that you could say he was the direct cause for mutants being in the situation they are in now.

Jus' sayin'

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ
I don't disagree with you there but psychosis and an egoist are two similarities that he shares with Rick.
In regards to psychosis, Rick tried to save at least three people that I can recall. Randall, Daryl's brother, and Sophia, who were all lost causes and greatly put their group in danger just trying to rescue them.
Rick shows how big his ego was when he said "this ain't a democracy anymore" and wanting people who didn't accept him as the leader to...

I don't think he's lame, but other than that, I see your point.

In the first series, yeah scar was total villain. But even then, he could be interpreted as some type of Punisher type steez since he got his whole race eradicated.
IMO, the way he reacted to that is pretty justifiable.
In regards to the second series, Scar didn't kill for revenge throughout most of the story.
From my understanding, he did for about half of the story
After he realized that Envy was behind the massacre of his race, he starts cooperating with the good guys.
That to me was his antihero turning point.
After that he realized all his revenge killing wasn't going to accomplish anything significant.

I've only watched the movies so my understanding of Magneto is shallow deep.
I still need to read the comics to see how much they develop him.

Originally Posted by MMG

Honestly i believe the best way to describe shane in TWD is that....

Shane and Rick are the same person.

Think of if you were to take shane and rick and make them the same person, Shane is the Devil on the shoulder, Rick is the angel, and they are constantly pulling at eachother to force their hand to make the right decision.

That's an interesting take of those of characters and I agree.
Before Rick came along, Shane was playing the role of the leader.
After Rick came along, it was a constant power struggle between those two.
While Rick is debating over ethics, Shane's "making the hard decisions."
Plus Shane doesn't need a night to think about killing somebody.
Imagine if Shane pulled that same action Rick pulled when he needed to get those supplies back to save Carl.

Honestly i believe the best way to describe shane in TWD is that....

Shane and Rick are the same person.

Think of if you were to take shane and rick and make them the same person, Shane is the Devil on the shoulder, Rick is the angel, and they are constantly pulling at eachother to force their hand to make the right decision.

But when it came time to step up and really practice what Shane allegedly preached, he couldn't do it - killing Sophia after she became a walker and then Dale. Darryl is the character that isn't the typical good guy because he's like a loner/renegade and also because of his white supremacy background. He's the one guy who really isn't scared to kill anyone - he offered to pull the trigger on Dale to spare Rick's conscious. 

tony_soprano.jpg

3789226368_4597316910.jpg

How are Wolverine and Batman antiheroes though? Wolverine is a straight up hero who may be slightly more violent than average. Batman is a member of the Justice League lol, he is a straight up hero too, especially since he wont kill anybody.

Originally Posted by solarius49

How are Wolverine and Batman antiheroes though? Wolverine is a straight up hero who may be slightly more violent than average. Batman is a member of the Justice League lol, he is a straight up hero too, especially since he wont kill anybody.

Here's why I think Wolverine is an antihero, also keep in mind, I've only watched the movies so bear with me.
Wolverine lacks basic respect and he won't hesitant to steal someone's girlfriend.
From my understanding he only joined up with Charles because he saw that there was something in it for him(weapon x) rather than joining the xmen to achieve
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
Charles's vision.
That to me shows that, at the end of the day Wolverine is mostly worried about his own wants and could give a ... about anyone else's problems.

Yeah, you need some more insight to the character. He originally started out as an antihero character i guess. He NEVER wanted to be a part of Weapon X, they kidnapped him and turned him into a weapon. Since he joined the X-men hes been a douche, but hes definitely a hero, hes even been an Avenger on more than one occasion

To help out some that don't seem to know what the definition of an antihero is:
[h2]an·ti·he·ro[/h2][sup][/sup] 

noun, plural an·ti·he·roes.
a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure,as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action orpurpose, and the like.

[table][tr][td]—  , pl -roes[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td][color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]a[/color] [color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]central[/color] [color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]character[/color] [color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]in[/color] [color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]a[/color] [color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]novel,[/color] play, etc, who lacks thetraditional heroic virtues[/td][/tr][/table]

Wolverine and Batman definitely aren't antiheroes. They're heroes who would go to the extreme as opposed to a cat like Cyclops or Superman.

Punisher is definitely an antihero.

Maybe I'm off on Batman. I think of the Dark Knight Batman as possessing Anti-Hero virtues. But I guess if he doesn't kill, I could be off.

Back
Top Bottom