Any doctors here??

To any of the doctors or on here or deep into med school with all the studying and other BS, if you had to do it all over again would you?

To any of the doctors or on here or deep into med school with all the studying and other BS, if you had to do it all over again would you?

Originally Posted by Cubinican

Depends on the day 
laugh.gif

Depends on the day 
laugh.gif

yup

yup

absolutely, it's all i know
ohwell.gif

absolutely, it's all i know
ohwell.gif

I feel like I've wasted time in making a decision as to where in the medical field I would find the most satisfaction. Im one year from finishing my bachelors in biology (just have to take physics and organic chem) I've managed to keep a pretty good over all GPA ( 3.7 and a 3.4 in my sciences). I took a year off of college to do an accelerated lpn program in between freshman and sophomore year with the intention of applying to pa school. I dont think ill have a problem getting in to a program but after doing some shadowing for the past few months im thinking about applying to medical school.

I feel like I've wasted time in making a decision as to where in the medical field I would find the most satisfaction. Im one year from finishing my bachelors in biology (just have to take physics and organic chem) I've managed to keep a pretty good over all GPA ( 3.7 and a 3.4 in my sciences). I took a year off of college to do an accelerated lpn program in between freshman and sophomore year with the intention of applying to pa school. I dont think ill have a problem getting in to a program but after doing some shadowing for the past few months im thinking about applying to medical school.

MD checking in. I dont know what these other people in here are talking about but Med School was cake.

MD checking in. I dont know what these other people in here are talking about but Med School was cake.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

MD checking in. I dont know what these other people in here are talking about but Med School was cake.^^
^^ j/k Med school takes a lot of dedication, but they were some of the best years of my life.

TypeR- yea for step 1 I used almost exclusively Goljan pretty much all i did was listen to the those lectures and do USMLEWORLD. As far as interviewing it sucks for things like radiology, anes, optho, derm essentially the more competitive residencies where you have to do the transitional/intern years  and then the additional ones for the actual advanced progam. I went on 18 interviews total and it was brutal by late Jan.

Anton- Rads is a GREAT choice. I love it. But tht and surgical subs are really competitive. I know for my program we have like 150+ applicants with step 1 a 250+ and we only have to interview like 2/3 of those so its not all about step 1

MD checking in. I dont know what these other people in here are talking about but Med School was cake.^^
^^ j/k Med school takes a lot of dedication, but they were some of the best years of my life.

TypeR- yea for step 1 I used almost exclusively Goljan pretty much all i did was listen to the those lectures and do USMLEWORLD. As far as interviewing it sucks for things like radiology, anes, optho, derm essentially the more competitive residencies where you have to do the transitional/intern years  and then the additional ones for the actual advanced progam. I went on 18 interviews total and it was brutal by late Jan.

Anton- Rads is a GREAT choice. I love it. But tht and surgical subs are really competitive. I know for my program we have like 150+ applicants with step 1 a 250+ and we only have to interview like 2/3 of those so its not all about step 1

not sure if serious

i think last year was easy as hell.....im probably going to look back at this year and think it was cake but right now we strugglin'
laugh.gif

not sure if serious

i think last year was easy as hell.....im probably going to look back at this year and think it was cake but right now we strugglin'
laugh.gif

yea like a bad step one score closes a lot of doors but i'm aware isn't everything.  250 is kinda od but im aiming for a 240 just to be safe.

so what's rads residency like?

yea like a bad step one score closes a lot of doors but i'm aware isn't everything.  250 is kinda od but im aiming for a 240 just to be safe.

so what's rads residency like?

Anton,

yea def not serious the first two years were the worst. 3rd year was good cause it was all clinical but long hours/call etc. 4th year was probably the easiest year of my life didnt do hardly anything but interview, and my intern year was about as cush as it can get almost as good as 4th year but better cause you acutally have some responsibility and are making a paycheck.

TO the OP:

It would helpful if we knew where you were in your track. Beginning undergrad or still in high school is a long way off and the advice would be diff than someone who is close to finishing undergrad and just trying to make the decision to apply or not.
You say you want to work with cancer do you know what type of work you want to do cause there are many fields in oncology there are surgical oncologist, radiation oncologists, hematologist/oncologists, pediatric oncologists, but they all basically have a long road for ex surgical oncologist needs 4 yrs undergrad 4yrs med school 5 yrs residency and 3 yrs fellowship so 16yrs after high school

Anton,

yea def not serious the first two years were the worst. 3rd year was good cause it was all clinical but long hours/call etc. 4th year was probably the easiest year of my life didnt do hardly anything but interview, and my intern year was about as cush as it can get almost as good as 4th year but better cause you acutally have some responsibility and are making a paycheck.

TO the OP:

It would helpful if we knew where you were in your track. Beginning undergrad or still in high school is a long way off and the advice would be diff than someone who is close to finishing undergrad and just trying to make the decision to apply or not.
You say you want to work with cancer do you know what type of work you want to do cause there are many fields in oncology there are surgical oncologist, radiation oncologists, hematologist/oncologists, pediatric oncologists, but they all basically have a long road for ex surgical oncologist needs 4 yrs undergrad 4yrs med school 5 yrs residency and 3 yrs fellowship so 16yrs after high school

Rads residency is good. The place im at has a high volume so tons of studies to read but the days fly by. Weekends are off unless on call so basically 8-5 M-F except call. Sounds like nice schedule but tons of outside reading is required although I am really behind on that.

Rads residency is good. The place im at has a high volume so tons of studies to read but the days fly by. Weekends are off unless on call so basically 8-5 M-F except call. Sounds like nice schedule but tons of outside reading is required although I am really behind on that.

people say surg or rads would be a perfect fit for my strengths and personality.......my only fear of rads is boredom, i would love to be in your position. i def don't wanna end up in a small program, with a low volume of cases. I'd imagine a lot of rads is self directed learning, something i've mastered in med school so far...i never show up to class
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

people say surg or rads would be a perfect fit for my strengths and personality.......my only fear of rads is boredom, i would love to be in your position. i def don't wanna end up in a small program, with a low volume of cases. I'd imagine a lot of rads is self directed learning, something i've mastered in med school so far...i never show up to class
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
Yea man I never went to class either left me a lot of extra free time too cause instead of people going to class then studying at night I would just have to study.  I will say that the personality of a radiologist are diff though in that rads are much more laid back while in general surgeons are a little high strung. I was totally committed to orthopedics till I found rads and never looked back. You definitely wont get bored in radiology. A step 1 ~235 is definitely possible to match but that may leave you in community program  unless the rest of your app really stands out.

Back
Top Bottom