Any feelings now with another (soon to be historically) "bizarre" trade of the Wizards?

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Jesus.

*Goes to watch Bullets/Bulls game 3 in 1st round @ Capital Center on VCR to avoid suicide*

laugh.gif

Hopefully flipper will let Nick Young factor into the offense alongside Foye. Sad to see Butler leave the DMV....definitely one of the good guys in the league, and in general.

So, as of now, how's the starting lineup looking because it can go a lot of ways really.

Foye, Young, Jamison, Gooden, and Blatche?

Nick definitely has a chance to be something now
pimp.gif

I just realized (looking at that pic), we traded our ONLY and ALL defenders on the team.

And we couldn't even get a couple f'in late 1st round draft picks in return from Dallas?

What are we rebuliding here?

We went from getting Stoudamire in the summer for Caron and Haywood, to this??????????????

*suicide watch*

Doesn't hold any weight... but my buddy sent me a txt claiming that on the radio they are stating that Jamison might be next... anyone else hear this or has info? Potential Cavs or Miami... at this point, nothing surprises me.

There is no doubt in my mind Jamison is next. I was surprised Butlet went before Jamison actually.

Rumor is that the Cavs will trade Shaq and their 1st round pick for Jamison and Miller... I say lets do it and get out of Jamisons contract... Blow this all up...
A sad thing is that even if we get rid of Jamison, and have salary room for a free agent next year; what big name free agent would want to play in D.C.?

I dont see them moving Shaq to us. This proposed deal here makes more sense.

"The Cleveland Cavaliers have made significant progress in trade discussions with the Washington Wizards, offering Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes), Jamario Moon(notes) and a No. 1 draft pick for Antawn Jamison(notes) and Mike James(notes), sources told Yahoo! Sports."

19335b0f6495ae07b474f30122c43b00810bd07.gif

Before I get this off my chest, let me make one thing perfectly clear:

Believe it or not, the Jamison trade doesn't qualify as the day's worst news item; that distinction must be awarded to the Justice Department's failure to pursue federal charges against Sean Bell's killers.
It may seem quite vulgar, then, to worry about the Wizards, let alone make the sort of comparison I'm about to suggest, but, without taking the matter too seriously or the metaphor too literally, I find myself today, as I am so often, called upon to explain why to the fortunate masses on the outside looking in.

I've been asked why the team would trade its captain, its best player in the post-Jordan era, away in such a lopsided deal. They failed to obtain JJ Hickson. They failed to include Mike James and his salary. They received yet another expiring contract, what could easily be the very last pick in the 1st round of the summer's draft, and a player in Al Thornton who, while talented, was derided by none other than Donald Sterling in a rare halftime tirade last season as the most selfish player he'd ever seen - and Donald Sterling knows a little something about selfishness.

Why?

The answer, here, comes far more readily, however much I disagree with it, than the larger question: why would anyone still support this team?

For most sports fans, suffering comes with the territory - and yet our story, as Wizards fans, is somewhat unique. Our role, as fans, revolves around commiseration, not celebration. To be a Wizards fan is less about pride or common interest than a shared plight.

I don't know any voluntary Wizards fans. We've all been more or less conscripted via the cosmic accident of our birth. You can't choose the circumstances of your childhood: your parents, your hometown, your home team. In terms of professional basketball, we are all of ignoble birth.

To be a fan of the Lakers or the Celtics is not unlike being a patriotic American. No matter how low someone may sink individually, no matter how stifled or suppressed, no matter how powerless they feel, claiming dominance and glory associated with your chosen flag bestows a certain twisted, jingoistic pride.

Fig. 1:

9fd354b66b1fa7bfbcf0fc0f28d3104b5b5db5b.jpg

Fig. 2:

An imperiled sense of self worth becomes a battle of champions. Go ahead. Talk hoops with a Cavs or Lakers fan if you've a penchant for masochism. Any dispute will likely boil down to the sporting equivalent of "Oh yeah? Well, my dad can beat up your dad."

Let's take it there.

The best way I can explain the experience of being a Wizards fan, at the moment, is to compare us to a support group, like Adult Children of Alcoholics. Born poor, we savored foods the affluent wouldn't deign to eat, swelled with joy upon receiving ratty, second-hand Air Jordans, which the other children would only laugh at. There is a standard of living, a standard of love, that exists as a norm on television and in movies, and then there is the reality to which we have become inured, the only way of life we've ever known. It is a life plagued by compromised expectations and dashed hopes. You watch your father get his life in order, build a little momentum, eke out modest triumphs, and, in the process, feed your faint, flickering hope. Maybe this time, we halfheartedly convince ourselves, he's finally gotten it together. Maybe this time he's really made it. Maybe our worst days are finally behind us. The higher our hopes, the further we fall. Again.

For many children, their heroes, while mythologized, are not themselves fictional or even distant. To such a child, it was their father that hung the moon and their mother who bedecked the sky with stars. They believe, almost until adolescence, that their parents know everything and, with a little effort, can bend the world to their whim. How early does the child of a substance abuser learn that their parents are flawed? How young is the boy who discovers that, to quote The Temptations, "poppa was a rolling stone" - or a playa, to invoke Nas' more contemporary lament?

Ours is the private, sullen despair of a child whose heroes are failures.

Childhood memories possess a peculiar evanescence. Most exist in varying states of translucence, a blend of real and imagined. Some remain frighteningly tangible and crystalline, no matter how much time has passed.

I still vividly remember attending a Bullets / Sixers game at the old Cap Center and cheering for Charles Barkley. Although he never wished to be a role model, I didn't think he'd disappoint me the way the Bullets so often had. At halftime, the Sixers held a reasonable lead - probably 8-12 points. It was a comfortable feeling. We knew Barkley would entertain and play well. By dint of our switched affiliation, we didn't have much of a stake in the contest, we didn't have to sit on the edge of our seats hoping against hope that the Bullets wouldn't succumb to yet another second half collapse. Yet early in the second half, my mother turned in her seat to face my little brother and I and urged, "come on, guys, the Bullets need you!"

Our hearts heavy with shame and guilt, we began cheering for the Bullets. They stormed back and won the game. In our innocence, we thought we'd made the difference.

They would break my heart, of course, again and again. Michael Jordan would become my role model, his Bulls my favorite team. I had a hero who almost never let me down, a hero who could seemingly accomplish anything. When the Bullets played the Bulls, there was no conflict. I was a Bulls fan - and I felt no remorse, no tinge of guilt. Who, after all, could ever succeed in life with Ledell Eackles & co. as their inspiration?

6383532a60aeac05becef81c26044e92b39a1bb.gif

[color= rgb(153, 153, 153)]Which side would you prefer to be on?[/color]

After MJ's second retirement, and fully grown, I became a Wizards fan in earnest. I no longer needed heroes or role models. I had to return to reality, to my roots.

The Wizards don't deserve us - but they need us.

Like an alcoholic father, they have no one besides us to cheer them on, no one else to support them, no one with a vested interest in their existence, let alone success.

That's the reason I'm a Bullets fan.

I had a similar plight to yours Meth, I was a big fan of the 49ers from like 92-98 because the first game I ever saw was Jerry Rice torching the Saints...as time went on and the 49er's did Rice dirty I felt like I had to pledge my allegiance else where. I eventually found myself rooting for the Saints week in and week out (many of them losses), I became a fan...through years of losing they finally came through for me and I know the feeling of being a "true fan" and being behind a championship team...now be it that I haven't had to suffer as much as you I must say that you guys will eventually win and the feeling is overwhelming.

cavs locked up the east with that move..im glad to see jamison on a team that has a chance of winning something.

Random Thought What if Blazers would have drafted Durant instead of Oden.Roy and Durant on the same court.SMH.Wizards are def my favorite team I'm a home town guy on this we had a nice little run tried build team to go deep in playoffs it blew up in our face o well.All I can do is pray for John Wall 1# pick kid is the truth,Chris Bosh Max deal,joe Johnson almost Max deal we back in Biz-ness.

HOPE.........

Originally Posted by fashionfellanikes

Random Thought What if Blazers would have drafted Durant instead of Oden.Roy and Durant on the same court.SMH.Wizards are def my favorite team I'm a home town guy on this we had a nice little run tried build team to go deep in playoffs it blew up in our face o well.All I can do is pray for John Wall 1# pick kid is the truth,Chris Bosh Max deal,joe Johnson almost Max deal we back in Biz-ness.

HOPE.........
*Plays Dream On by Aerosmith*
As far as Roy and Durant on the same team, I dunno if it'd work due to the fact that they both need the ball in their hands in order to be effective. I mean Andre Miller can't play with Roy.

And no way in hell CB4 goes to the Wiz. Why would he sign with a team that's worse than his current team by tenfold? I dunno what the Wizards' salary cap situation looks like, but it ain't happening jo. 

Cap room only means something when you have something attractive to add to it, like, er, a team with pieces.

Best we can do is give free agents a tour of the city, and pray Obama is in town to recruit.

SMFH!

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Originally Posted by fashionfellanikes

HOPE.........
*Plays Dream On by Aerosmith*
As far as Roy and Durant on the same team, I dunno if it'd work due to the fact that they both need the ball in their hands in order to be effective.
Not true at all. Most of Kevin's plays are assisted. They run a great deal of pick and pop sets. His game doesn't revolve around having the ball in his hands all the time at all.

Grunfeld: 'He's going to be with us'

WASHINGTON -- Gilbert Arenas is the only member of the Big Three still in Washington and when he might be available to play for the Wizards again is uncertain.

Arenas

But when Agent Zero returns to the NBA, Washington team president Ernie Grunfeld expects it to be with the Wizards.

"He's under contract and he's going to be with us," Grunfeld said. "He's part of the organization. If he wants to play, he's going to play here."

First, however, Arenas has to find out if he's going to jail.

Arenas pleaded guilty last month to a felony gun charge and is scheduled to be sentenced March 26.

Grunfeld negotiated a six-year, $111 million contract extension with Arenas in July 2008. Arenas was coming off two left knee surgeries and had played in only 13 games in the 2007-08 season. He underwent a third surgery in September 2008, and despite vowing a quick return, played just two games last season.

Arenas averaged 22.6 points in 32 games for the Wizards before he was suspended for the rest of the season last month by NBA commissioner David Stern for bringing a gun into the locker room.

Arenas negotiated the contract without an agent, and since the suspension there was talk that his once close relationship with Grunfeld was damaged beyond repair.

When asked about the relationship, Grunfeld said tersely: "It's fine."

Arenas isn't allowed to work out in the Wizards' facility, but Grunfeld says the team's trainers are working with him.

"He's part of this organization and he's under contract and if he wants to play, this is the place where he's going to play," Grunfeld said.

"Gilbert's a basketball player, that's what he likes to do, that's his life and obviously this is a tough situation for him. It's a tough situation for everybody and I think we all feel for him because he loves to play the game so much and this is something that he really misses. Nobody wants to see anybody go through something like this, but during the summertime we're going to sit and I know he's going to work very hard to be the best player he can possibly be."

In the past week, Grunfeld traded Caron Butler to Dallas and Antawn Jamison to Cleveland.

Grunfeld has repeatedly said the team had grown stale and needed to go in a different direction.

Grunfeld was asked if he bore responsibility for the team's lackluster performance. After a win on Wednesday over Minnesota, the Wizards are 18-33.

"I don't know what happened from that standpoint. I think everybody thought we had a very solid team going into this season," Grunfeld said.

Grunfeld's Big Three are history and struggled to bring wins to the team.

"I think that was an entertaining ball club. I think the city enjoyed these players," Grunfeld said. "It happened quickly, in our second year here we went to the playoffs and we went to the second round. And then we added Caron the following summer, and I think that they were an entertaining group. They were good guys."

Freakin' Idiots.

and to add to the mess

mavs dished off their problem to the wizards

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nb...ss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4927285

Multiple team sources said Howard missed the Mavericks' Jan. 20 win over the Washington Wizards because of a hangover after a night of partying.

Howard refused comment.

Members of Dallas' front office stood behind Howard after acontroversial stretch in 2008. Howard revealed in a radio interviewduring a playoff series against the New Orleans Hornetsthat he occasionally smoked marijuana. Days later, after a criticalloss, Howard in the locker room passed out flyers to his birthdayparty, prompting then-coach Avery Johnson to cancel the next day'spractice.

grin.gif

That's been the knock on Howard for awhile now. We all know talent trumps non-legal offenses.

Quick piece from Bill Simmon's trade column:

Fast-forward to All-Star Weekend, when the Wizards and Mavericks consummated what passes for a typical NBA trade these days: a seven-player swap in which Dallas acquired two starters (Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood), along with an unsavory salary (DeShawn Stevenson) in return for expiring contracts. Strangely, Butler wasn't even much of a cap burden, making only $20.3 million through 2011. Washington was so desperate to break up the Arenas Era Wizards that it wasn't even rational; it would be like NBC dumping Conan, then trading "Saturday Night Live" to prove they were serious about blowing up late night. Um ... what?

Rest of column  

I don't know what the wizards are thinking... this is been the worst year for them.... I don't know if I want to continue my season tickets... wednesday game attendence was super sad... tonight.. everyone is going to see melo...

Back
Top Bottom