Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Im playing X-Stiff graphite shafts... i like them.

How do you like the ballflight compared to an X in steel?  I love my black golds in an X, but have always been curious about getting graphite shafts because of pain in my wrists.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

how do you guys make sure you get consistent contact on the club face every time?
Try to practice focusing on the hitting the back of the ball (with your irons). The best way I can describe it is just try to hit the ball as hard into the ground as you can.

So, I played a relatively short 18 that during the last times I've played I shot 113 and 114 respectively.

This time around, I shot a 90.

So in 4 months, I shaved 27 strokes off my score at Mare Island, and 23 strokes off my score at Davis.

I'm thinking in about a year, I will have qualified for The Masters. See you in Augusta.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

how do you guys make sure you get consistent contact on the club face every time?
Try to practice focusing on the hitting the back of the ball (with your irons). The best way I can describe it is just try to hit the ball as hard into the ground as you can.

Easier said than done. Swinging into the ground in most cases for inexperienced golfer will result in chunking.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by solesavage

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Easier said than done. Swinging into the ground in most cases for inexperienced golfer will result in chunking.
laugh.gif

yea i wouldnt take that advice...id tell them to think of sweeping it

Originally Posted by Bastitch

So, I played a relatively short 18 that during the last times I've played I shot 113 and 114 respectively.

This time around, I shot a 90.

So in 4 months, I shaved 27 strokes off my score at Mare Island, and 23 strokes off my score at Davis.

I'm thinking in about a year, I will have qualified for The Masters. See you in Augusta.
That's awesome man, very impressive.  Did you take any lessons??

And to the guy asking about consistent contact... Try just going to the range and hit balls taking half swings.  Get a feel for what the club should feel like coming through the ball.  See if you can feel a difference.

I haven't had any lessons.  It's a combination of a lot of practice and playing smarter.

I've been playing some par 4s conservatively by going with a 4 iron off the tee instead of driver or 3 wood to ensure a good lie on my second shot. I've also started to putt decently.

My last two rounds I had 37 and 33 putts respectively.

There is a ton of improvement to be had, which makes me really excited.  There are gaping holes in my game, and if I can start attacking each one at a time, then by the end of the summer, I see myself consistently shooting in the 90's. 

It's funny, because I know I suck. 

First 18 of the year today. Played a course I have never played and decided to step back to the second longest set of tees stretching the course to about 6700 yards. Terrible round except for a few good shots here and there. scored a 47 on the front, which was pretty bad considering I had 3 pars and 2 bogeys. Driver would either be a perfect draw or mean hook and my 3 wood would either be perfectly straight or a huge slice. 2nd 9 wasn't any better, hit probably 4 shots that felt good. Shot a 52 but finished with a birdie, which was pretty nice.

For any hackers like me that take the smoothest practice swings that look like you're about to make a Tiger approach shot, then get up to the ball and swing like hell and bury your club head in the dirt and hit the ball 35 yards left...

SLOW DOWN YOUR SWING!!!!

Seriously I got the best advice in golf that I had ever gotten before a few days ago, I slowed down my swing tremendously with my irons and stopped moving my body so much in my swing and im making 100% better contact with the ball and getting the ball up into the air with all of my irons... Many times now Have been able to hit it flush without taking a divot whilst elevating the ball.

Heading out for 18 tomorrow, gonna see if I can keep the progress ive made at the range going on the course.

Good to see this thread is alive and well... So tomorrow I start my "Golf Vacation". a buddy of mine, who I use to play golf with all the time, is coming down from Michig&n... We are going to head out to OKC and play some good couses out there. Really wanted to play the Jimmie Austin Course (OU's Course) in Norman, but the only day we dont have booked is Tuesday, and they are close on Tues for maintance. Really looking forward to the week off of work and getting back into playing golf several days in a row..! got the first real tourny of the year next saturday, so that sets me up to have lots of practice til then. The only bad thing is I have a New driver set aside at the golf store I shop at.(and wont be able to get it under after my vacation, and I wont have enought time to practice w/it to game it for the tourny....its A Callaway ft-9 tour 9.5 with 2 different I-mix shafts coming with it.. one is a heavier shaft to get a lil bit less air under the ball.. ( I hit a high ball, and in Oklahoma, that cant hurt me) but then I have a 56 gram shaft, which is the same weighted shaft I am playing in my driver now, and I can absolutly blast it, and control that ball.. I love my driver, but its old, and has lost a lot of pop... also will post some pics of the courses we play, once we get back.. They are not the elite of the elite, but they have some really cool views, and the courses are top notch.....

I wanna get into golf but can't afford it right now. Whenever, I do I'll more than likely pick up a whole set from *$+%$ or Dunhams, just hope the $200 sets are worth it. Last and only time I played golf I was about 13. We only played the front 9 and I went +9
laugh.gif
, did better than half the adults
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

I wanna get into golf but can't afford it right now. Whenever, I do I'll more than likely pick up a whole set from *$+%$ or Dunhams, just hope the $200 sets are worth it. Last and only time I played golf I was about 13. We only played the front 9 and I went +9
laugh.gif
, did better than half the adults
pimp.gif
the ONLY time you played golf at age 13 you shot +9!!

only on NT

jammed my thumb so bad yesterday cant even hold a golf club. sucks to cause this thursday and friday i get to play windermere country club for free!! so hopefully it gets better by than...i was really hoping i could practice a lil b4 but that looks outta the question. just gonna work on my putting stroke i guess

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

i've always wanted to get into golf, but i wouldn't know where to play.

just play at your local municipal golf course...in most cases those are the best anyway and cost the least

and if ur by yourself there is always people willing to play with you. go online and find the course that is owned by the county

Really been a pain in my !@# trying to reel in my drives lately... My slice had been causing me to over compensate and all sorts of bad +%+* happen trying to avoid it.

Today i was able to aim my drives down the left side of the trees and have it fade back onto the fairway, pretty encouraging round of 9 holes.

Even hit some good iron shots here and there.

I played 2 balls and hit 50 and 51 respectively with 2 pars and 5 bogeys...

Great thread - playing Crystal Springs in Burlingame off the 280 (for my Bay Area heads) on Thursday since the season is done....

SLOW UP YOUR SWING is the best advice you can give.

And congrats to Philly Mick yesterday
pimp.gif

Played 9 today and was all over the place.  My ball striking was terrible, only hit about 2-3 shots cleanly.  Went from shooting a 37 last Wednesday to a 50 today
laugh.gif

Gotta love golf... the minute you think you have it figured out, it comes along and gives you a huge piece of humble pie.

Anyways, I atleast figured out what the hell I was doing on the last hole.  I was letting my tee ball position move towards the center of my stance, when it really needs to be right inside my left foot.  And my swing plane was way off on my middle irons.  On my backswing I was really steep.  So hopefully when I play again on Wednesday morning I'll have it all figured out.  League starts on Thursday so we'll see.

Anybody buy one of those Callaway drivers from Golfsmith?  Wonder how much they're gonna lose with Phil winning the Masters.

Played a twilight 9 by myself yesterday, course was empty, assuming due to the masters, so I was able to take my time. 1st time out there this season, drove the ball well and did everything else horribly

so I just bought a used set off craigslist for $90 bucks.

Can anyone help to ID the model?

e8825dc4cf671fc5b3f8001009f2ef6dbb766c3.jpg

I keep getting conflicting info when I try to google up.

....also came with a bag and a few Hybrids and drivers:

3 wood:
af4152476af4b787a63d6ea72de062f9f1bf2a7.jpg

Driver?
424255a4116b1faab6b87c30cc1c43c210d023d.jpg

Driver?
c871554a6cfebb83dadea84128b7d9a6ae8d820.jpg

7 wood
11e253e4e4603f72b568499f49bf69244ebd697.jpg

Driver:
4d91574068fdb186f1a630160367a9945b1d59f.jpg

Driver:
3ab25e7469684f33b6c8e30e8af6fd180f88978.jpg

5??
44a359f3446b6967fb4fb0c385ce2636e9185ad.jpg

figured it was a decent enough bargain with all the hybrids and drivers to pass up... hopefully you golf pros can tell me I didn't get ripped off.

thanks
-Dirty

ps sorry for the blurry pics

Back
Top Bottom