Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by jmal519

Originally Posted by HWBurnz

Hello NT,

So I'm deciding to get back into golf. I played for 2 summers in 2006 and 2007 and then stopped. By the end of my last summer, I was shooting in the mid-90s. If I went out today, I'm sure I'd shoot from 105 - 115.

Anyways, I was looking to get an upgrade on my clubs and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.
All depends on how much you want to spend. 

But for your irons, I'd definitely stay away from blades. 

Played 9 today and I'm really starting to get a feel for this new VR 56 degree SW.  I've never got so much spin before.  Didn't matter if it was the rough or fairway.  Definitely going to have to get used to that. 

looking to spend between $250 - $400
should i go steel or graphite?

Graphite will add more distance. Steel will add a little more control to your ball. Graphite shafts are lighter and more expensive. Steel can cause more harm to your body, because of the vibration.

I like graphite because of that whip feel.

I'm here thinkin, that if my 3 iron is 21 degrees, and I de-loft all of my clubs by 2 degrees and lengthen them a bit that I'll be able to eliminate my 18 degree hybrid and give myself room in the bag for a 15 degree (I have a Driver and 13 degree right now) or another wedge.

Hmmmm.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

I'm here thinkin, that if my 3 iron is 21 degrees, and I de-loft all of my clubs by 2 degrees and lengthen them a bit that I'll be able to eliminate my 18 degree hybrid and give myself room in the bag for a 15 degree (I have a Driver and 13 degree right now) or another wedge.

Hmmmm.

pmac, you dont want to do this. delofting will mess with the bounce of your irons and in the long irons thats too much. if you want to eliminate the hybrid or add another wedge, id say axe the 13* and go with a 15* and choke down to cover the loft gap. besides, what you're doing (i'm not sure what clubs you have) is already what all the other game improvement companies are doing. people think theyre roping their new clubs 1 club length longer then their old clubs because theyre all delofted and lengthened hahahaha. its really gross what companies are doing these days and promoting "longer" distances with new irons and try to justify their junk with new center of gravities made in their clubs to promote "effective" loft...
alien.gif

Originally Posted by solesavage

Hello NT,

So I'm deciding to get back into golf. I played for 2 summers in 2006 and 2007 and then stopped. By the end of my last summer, I was shooting in the mid-90s. If I went out today, I'm sure I'd shoot from 105 - 115.

Anyways, I was looking to get an upgrade on my clubs and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.

Played 9 today and I'm really starting to get a feel for this new VR 56 degree SW.  I've never got so much spin before.  Didn't matter if it was the rough or fairway.  Definitely going to have to get used to that. 

Graphite will add more distance. Steel will add a little more control to your ball. Graphite shafts are lighter and more expensive. Steel can cause more harm to your body, because of the vibration.

RAMON!!! what's good man....

ramon is right but not 100%. steel can be made stupid light these days. i'm currently playing 90 gram steel shafts in my hybrids in because of the headweights of them. i say if you can, get lighter steel, the control and feel imo are infinitely better in the irons. if you have joint problems however, you probably want to go with standard stock graphite. if you are willing to spend on your irons, you should look into aerotech steelfiber shafts. graphite core with steel strands wound around so you get the control and consistency of steel, but the vibration dampening of graphite. my buddy is on some osteoporosis status so we spent all of fall 2008 / spring 2009 spending his dollars to find shafts that worked for his mr glass-like bones. but fyi, steelfiber aint cheap.

edit: btw ramon, i was at islands today. and in a matter of 12 hours, i went from having a super tri 9.5* head for my r9 shaft, to trading it in for a 10.5* head, to selling it and going back to my original r9 head hahhahaha. i think i spent close to 600 bucks in the past 2 weeks in golf equipment alone....

Hello NT,

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.

if that's your price range. i HIGHLY suggest to you that you buy some older irons used. the quality is better then the bottom of the barrel junk. i'd easily pick some ping eye2 or callaway x14 irons over cobra irons. that isnt to say cobra super game improvement irons are bad, its just ping eye2s and callaway x14s are just that good and that cheap and that easy to use.

Played last Friday. Shot a 48. Not that good but in my 3rd year. Had to drop 2 and punch out 3 times. First couple swings felt very awkward. Looking forward to saturday to get out and play 18. Got to figure out the driver swing. Other than that every club was going to the right distance even with 20mph winds. The trees helped cut that down. The White Hot #9 felt real nice on crappy greens. The 56 vokey was a beast too. Love that club

Being 85 outside here in Boston and working in an office for the loss. Hell of a day to go play 18. Christ

^ Take advantage of those Twilight fees like me... Playing at a place called Kingswood later today for $28 with cart.

Originally Posted by k0betw0

Hello NT,

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.

if that's your price range. i HIGHLY suggest to you that you buy some older irons used. the quality is better then the bottom of the barrel junk. i'd easily pick some ping eye2 or callaway x14 irons over cobra irons. that isnt to say cobra super game improvement irons are bad, its just ping eye2s and callaway x14s are just that good and that cheap and that easy to use.

what do you think of the taylor made r7s used? they're on sale right now on golfsmith for $299.

Hello NT,

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.

RAMON!!! what's good man....

ramon is right but not 100%. steel can be made stupid light these days. i'm currently playing 90 gram steel shafts in my hybrids in because of the headweights of them. i say if you can, get lighter steel, the control and feel imo are infinitely better in the irons. if you have joint problems however, you probably want to go with standard stock graphite. if you are willing to spend on your irons, you should look into aerotech steelfiber shafts. graphite core with steel strands wound around so you get the control and consistency of steel, but the vibration dampening of graphite. my buddy is on some osteoporosis status so we spent all of fall 2008 / spring 2009 spending his dollars to find shafts that worked for his mr glass-like bones. but fyi, steelfiber aint cheap.

edit: btw ramon, i was at islands today. and in a matter of 12 hours, i went from having a super tri 9.5* head for my r9 shaft, to trading it in for a 10.5* head, to selling it and going back to my original r9 head hahhahaha. i think i spent close to 600 bucks in the past 2 weeks in golf equipment alone....

well damn, what up Jin. Glad you were able to clarify, since you know I'm no scientist when it comes to golf. lol 

LOL I dont anyone who spends more money on equipment than you. Plus i'm sure you have a nice little connect there. Hit me up if you ever get to play on a weekend. I need some refinment in my swing. lol

Also - have you played Eagle Falls out in PS? I'm thinking of playing that course sometime this month. I heard good things about it and its relatively cheap.

used TM r7 for 299 is quite a bit too much imo...for 299 i think u might be able to score a set of ping g10 (more than likely a g5 set though) on ebay
if you are on a tight budget and looking for some real cheap irons for like 100-200ish i would suggest the nickent 3dx/4dx pro or cb models...i have yet to hear any bad things about them and for the price you cant go wrong

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Why would anyone hit graphite irons?

why not? some people simply prefer the feel. some people need it because steel is too harsh on their bones / joints. graphite can be done lighter then steel (as i mentioned, steel can get into the low 80s, but then again graphite can go into the mid 60s). its all preference. me? i cant ever see me hitting graphite shafts until maybe im like 60 or something, but shrug. why try to be condescending? people have different preferences. remember, golf is as much about etiquette as well as actually playing. respecting others is equally as important as shooting low scores...

Originally Posted by baik

used TM r7 for 299 is quite a bit too much imo...for 299 i think u might be able to score a set of ping g10 (more than likely a g5 set though) on ebay
if you are on a tight budget and looking for some real cheap irons for like 100-200ish i would suggest the nickent 3dx/4dx pro or cb models...i have yet to hear any bad things about them and for the price you cant go wrong

if ur on a extra tight budget, seek the ben hogan bh-5 irons. callaway bought hogan several years back and gutted the brand for the golf ball tech. but before that, they sold the bh5 which are modified version of the callaway x14 irons.

http://www.rockbottomgolf...set-irons-set-steel.html

BRAND new for 150... cant complain about that price.

Walked a full 18 today... early morning and was on the golf course by myself till about hole 6...

it was fast as hell
pimp.gif

Learned something about myself today.... instead of hitting shots that are tough for me with a low chance of probability (flop/pitch off of a hard spot) I layed up, chipped, hit my 7 punch or my 4 punch instead of trying to go through tree limbs (my drives sucked today
laugh.gif
) and let the ball roll as much as possible and it worked really well for me.

Hit a 97
pimp.gif

Only 3-putted once and had 2 pars which are damn near eagles for me usually
smh.gif
laugh.gif

why not? some people simply prefer the feel. some people need it because steel is too harsh on their bones / joints. graphite can be done lighter then steel (as i mentioned, steel can get into the low 80s, but then again graphite can go into the mid 60s). its all preference. me? i cant ever see me hitting graphite shafts until maybe im like 60 or something, but shrug. why try to be condescending? people have different preferences. remember, golf is as much about etiquette as well as actually playing. respecting others is equally as important as shooting low scores...

I read somwhere that a lot of pro's are starting to play graphite irons for distance. But i agree when it comes to irons I have to use steel shaft.

I read somwhere that a lot of pro's are starting to play graphite irons for distance. But i agree when it comes to irons I have to use steel shaft.
Man I would be really surprised to see regular tour players playing with graphite shafts.  I've always associated them with seniors or people with slower swing speeds.  As for me I can't even play graphite shafts in my 3 and 5 wood let alone my irons.  It is a pain in the @%% breaking a shaft half way through a good round.

pmac, you dont want to do this. delofting will mess with the bounce of your irons and in the long irons thats too much. if you want to eliminate the hybrid or add another wedge, id say axe the 13* and go with a 15* and choke down to cover the loft gap. besides, what you're doing (i'm not sure what clubs you have) is already what all the other game improvement companies are doing. people think theyre roping their new clubs 1 club length longer then their old clubs because theyre all delofted and lengthened hahahaha. its really gross what companies are doing these days and promoting "longer" distances with new irons and try to justify their junk with new center of gravities made in their clubs to promote "effective" loft...
alien.gif
I read about this last year.  I think it was the TM Burner irons, they had the commercial with Faldo and he was like "oh wow, thats 25 yards longer than I normally hit my 6 iron."  Or something like that.  But just like you said, the whole set is delofted so a 6 iron is really a 5 iron.  Pretty shady they can get away with it.

Snuck 9 holes in today before class and shot a 1 over.  Should've been par golf but on the first hole I was messing around and missed my 4 ft par putt.  Oh well.  That VR wedge has all of a sudden given me a short game, and it's only been 3 rounds.  My league starts next week, can't wait.

As far as steel/graphite, its all preference if you ask me.  I play with graphite and couldn't care less what people think about it. 

My irons are pretty old. They're Nike Pro Combo irons. Either way when I de-loft them I'm going to have them refitted with new shafts and the loft and lie checked. Those irons have taken a beating so I need to get them fixed up.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

My irons are pretty old. They're Nike Pro Combo irons. Either way when I de-loft them I'm going to have them refitted with new shafts and the loft and lie checked. Those irons have taken a beating so I need to get them fixed up.

pro combo irons are GREAT irons still. japanese endo forged steel so theyre top notch quality. i highly suggest you get the clubs loft and lie checked when u get them reshafted. and even if u decide not to reshaft, get them checked in terms of loft and lie anyways. i always have my lofts and lies checked at the beginning of the season and midway through summer. forged irons get all wonked out in spec especially if u hit off matts, hard ground surfaces, and just constant practice.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

how do you guys make sure you get consistent contact on the club face every time?

try and make the same swing...make it repeatable

and all i gotta say is im so pumped for this golf season...bout to take all my dads, friends and uncles money
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom