Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

Damn Bastitch, I was looking to get rid of mine, too. I need some Mizuno mp-58's or some Titleist AP2's. I'll admit you did get a hell of a deal, though. I paid more than twice that about a year ago...

Yeah, I considered going with pre-owned, but this deal rolled along and it's clearly the better deal.

I'm still just 10 months into this golf thing, and I just needed a set of iron's that were made in the last 8 years.  Game improvements are still going to be in my bag for a couple more years.  I don't have the skill to work the ball very well yet, so the compromise of loft and distance vs. control and touch will do for now.
I'm not good enough to play with player's irons yet either, but I really need to get fitted for some clubs. I also can't tell whether or not I'm hitting the ball properly with my current set because they give very little feedback on mis-hits. I'm thinking that I want to struggle with some more difficult to hit irons and improving by trial and error, I guess. That, and I like shiny things.

I'm just kind of curious, for all of you that do tee off with your driver, what kind of distance are you getting?

Originally Posted by eaalto

I'm just kind of curious, for all of you that do tee off with your driver, what kind of distance are you getting?

I have anything from a power fade to a straight up slice on every drive I hit, but I'm pretty sure right now I'm getting 220-240 if it doesn't just take off to the right on a slice. It's typically of the lower end of that range because of that fade.

It's sad, because I'm a pretty strong guy with above average club head speed, but my technique is so horrible and inconsistent that I'm not getting the most out of each swing.

And for the record, I LOVE shiny things as well.

Man I can hit the ball 280 if I hit it good and keep the slice to a minimum. But most of the time its pretty pronounced slice that only nets me like 240
smh.gif

on average its about 265-270.  I need to get a range finder or a gps, some golf course make it hard to calculate distances with your drives.. (they either never have the distance from the tee box marked, or  they dont have hardly any yardages on the fairways, thats such a pet peeve of mine.

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

on average its about 265-270.  I need to get a range finder or a gps, some golf course make it hard to calculate distances with your drives.. (they either never have the distance from the tee box marked, or  they dont have hardly any yardages on the fairways, thats such a pet peeve of mine.

I'm using GolfShot GPS, an app for the iPhone right now.  It has the functionality to determine shot distance, but in the flow of a round, I'm too lazy to actually calculate the distance of each of my shots.  I usually guess-timate by taking the total yardage and take the distance to the middle of the green from my second shot.   It's wildly inaccurate, but my driving distance isn't as important as the single condition of whether or not it's on the fairway or not.

I am using an old driver right now and get about 250-260, which isn't that great considering I can put my 3 wood consistently out there at about 240. Demoed a few drivers last week though and was getting about 280 on average with them.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

I'm using GolfShot GPS, an app for the iPhone right now.  It has the functionality to determine shot distance, but in the flow of a round, I'm too lazy to actually calculate the distance of each of my shots.  I usually guess-timate by taking the total yardage and take the distance to the middle of the green from my second shot.   It's wildly inaccurate, but my driving distance isn't as important as the single condition of whether or not it's on the fairway or not.

I was thinking about getting a Bussel Pro Rangefinder, not to sure about a GPS on how accurate they are, I will  probable get one in the next few months once I do research.  And yea, the problem with taking the hole's total distance (from the scorecard) minus the distance to the middle of the green of the 2nd shot,  it can be off  by a few yards, or depending on the lenght of the tee box, could be off 20-30 yards... And yea, hitting 300 yards really dont matter if you end up in the woods!

and did anyone just see Phil hit his 3 wood from the driveway at the memorial.. It was seriously on a road... 
roll.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I can't seem to justify putting my driver back in my bag because I hit my 3 wood pretty well off the tee, ~250 yards. I'm itching to try out that new hybrid that I got, but I haven't had time to go out and play.

My drives have really been improving lately, and I haven't really been slicing as bad as I used to. I also used to hit down on the ball and create so much backspin that my ball would balloon straight up and come down like a pop fly. That combined with a slice on a windy day made me take a lot of drops, so most of the time I would just tee off with my 3w. Last week I hit 3 or 4 300+ shots straight down the middle that really boosted my confidence and made me decide to keep my current driver (I bought some TW 2010 shoes instead). My furthest drive is around 340, but I think I average between 260 and 280 off the tee. I actually made it on to the green in one on a really short par 4, too. It was 280 yards and slightly downhill, so I used my 3 wood and made it on to the back of the green about 60 feet from the hole. Sadly, I still ended up with a bogie.

I also have the golfshot GPS but it kills my battery, and most of the time I'm just too lazy to use it. This year I'm going to try to play a new course every other week, and practice locally or on par 3 courses in between. I'm probably going to Franklin Canyon or Diablo Creek on Satuday depending on which one isn't super busy.

I also have the golfshot GPS but it kills my battery, and most of the time I'm just too lazy to use it. This year I'm going to try to play a new course every other week, and practice locally or on par 3 courses in between. I'm probably going to Franklin Canyon or Diablo Creek on Satuday depending on which one isn't super busy.
Yeah, I usually make sure I have my battery completely charged, but it does the trick.  Plus I HATE writing my score on cards with those little ****** pencils.  It's probably my sausage fingers.

Anyway, I followed up a 104 (50-54) at Franklin Canyon on Monday with a 105(51-54) today (with a 112 at Mare Island on Wednesday sandwiched in between). My drives are taking me out of making par on some holes, so I need to figure that all out at the range. It feels good that I expect to shoot low 100's now instead of just hoping to be around 120 like I was 6 months ago.

I think it will be my last round with my "beginner" set of irons.  My Burners ship tomorrow. It was a good 10 months, piece of **** 2002 Tour Edges. I'll try to find you a good home.

gotta test the new big stick....

2i04yon.jpg

24ce9sn.jpg

oc / ie so cal-ers... if you wanna go mess around on the course tomorrow. holla...

Bastitch wrote:  Plus I HATE writing my score on cards with those little ****** pencils.  It's probably my sausage fingers.

Try picking up a Fisher Space Pen.  My brother got one for me at Christmas time two or three years ago and it's what I always use when I'm golfing.  I hate the pencils because they write so lightly.  This pen is pretty much as tiny as a golf pencil capped, but when you uncap it it's as big as a normal pen.  Anyway, easy to carry around in your pocket and writes dark and at any angle, upside down if you felt like it.

My drives have really been improving lately, and I haven't really been slicing as bad as I used to. I also used to hit down on the ball and create so much backspin that my ball would balloon straight up and come down like a pop fly. That combined with a slice on a windy day made me take a lot of drops, so most of the time I would just tee off with my 3w. Last week I hit 3 or 4 300+ shots straight down the middle that really boosted my confidence and made me decide to keep my current driver (I bought some TW 2010 shoes instead). My furthest drive is around 340, but I think I average between 260 and 280 off the tee. I actually made it on to the green in one on a really short par 4, too. It was 280 yards and slightly downhill, so I used my 3 wood and made it on to the back of the green about 60 feet from the hole. Sadly, I still ended up with a bogie.

I live 5 minutes from Franklin Canyon, but hate playing there.  For the price I'd rather drive to berkeley for tilden, at least I get a better views. 

last range session I FINALLY was able to straighten out my iron and wood shots by not dropping my shoulder and hips.. started crushing the ball.

I just hope I can remember the range of motion on my next time.

Any O.C./L.A. people interested in hitting up Big Rec in Long Beach tomorrow morning? I'm going to try to walk on between 7:45 - 8:00 because there is a women's tournmanent that starts at 8:30. I think walking is around $33 for non residents.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

I live 5 minutes from Franklin Canyon, but hate playing there.  For the price I'd rather drive to berkeley for tilden, at least I get a better views. 

Yeah I agree Franklin Canyon isn't all that great, but I also haven't heard too many good things about Tilden Park. I hear it's not an easy course and that it's always soggy. I'm looking into Boundary Oak in Walnut Creek, though.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Yeah I agree Franklin Canyon isn't all that great, but I also haven't heard too many good things about Tilden Park. I hear it's not an easy course and that it's always soggy. I'm looking into Boundary Oak in Walnut Creek, though.
With golfnow.com, I thought the prices for Franklin were reasonable.  I like Franklin Canyon, but some holes really bottleneck which sucks.  It's hard to get a flow there.

My mom just played Tilden this past weekend and before that, I think Wente?  Don't know the conditions, but I've heard mixed reviews that some say it's harder than you think it is and some just say it's about average. 

Boundry Oak aka Boundry Joke has gotten a lot better over the last few years.  The last time I played there was about a year ago and the greens/fairways were soggy and going through work. Boundry Oak is near where I live and I neglect it. 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

You know what I've noticed?

Any NEW course is actually fun.

I've fallen into a cycle that includes Blue Rock East/West, Mare Island, Pine Meadow, Buchanan, and Davis.  When I first played Franklin Canyon, I thought it was the greatest thing ever, because it was new.

Yeah, I agree that anywhere new is usually always nice,and that's why I'm trying to go somewhere different every other week. That's not to say that I haven't been disappointed a few times, though. Everyone told me that the places in Brentwood (Deer Ridge and Shadow Lakes) were top notch, so I guess my expectations were just too high. I went out there and the courses were average and really had no scenery or character. You're basically playing with houses on both sides of the fairways, and the rough doesn't always divide fairways it ends at dirt/sand/back yards. You're basically screwed If you hit a wild shot. Blue Rock West was ok, but again, I think I had really high expectations. I've played the East course about half a dozen times and liked it, but everyone I talked to told me that the West course was much better. Mare Island is cool, and you can't beat the weekday rates.

I've played most of the courses in the North and East Bay so pretty soon I'm going to start working my way down south. I have a rich friend of a friend who always ends up with passes to Pebble Beach, but I'm too scared/embarrassed to go and shoot 120 with a caddy. Anyway, It's gonna be Diablo Creek this Saturday.

Diablo Creek is the 18 I've played the most, by far. I like it, but hate them trying to sell you on their "lunch deal". It's not even a deal.

I want to play Pebble, just for the hell of it some time, I could shoot a 200 and be happy.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom