Any Golfers on NT?

Haha, yeah they are... One of the more regrettable purchases I've made in my lifetime. I used to wear them with this one suit I had (dressed up for fraternity meetings, UC Irvine - Pi Kappa Alpha), and would sometimes wear them with jeans when I went drinking. Since I graduated 4 years ago I've worn them all of 2 times, and they kill my feet. They are gator, cognac is the color. That entire room is just an extra room in the house filled with all my stupid %*%!#+* shoes that I bought. I sold about 35 pairs of my collection a couple years back, mostly what I have left now is just garbage. Looking at the date from the picture, I bought those in 2004. Now I live in North Carolina and they would actually be normal out here.

Anybody here a member at a golf club?

I live in a golf course neighborhood, and I absolutely love playing the course. I try to play once a week (would like to play more). I have the option of walking weekdays for $30 and calling ahead, but I usually make tee times on golfnow.com for anywhere between $25 and $35 and this includes a cart. Some days I can grab decent tee times between 9:00 and 13:00, and other days the online price is restricted to one time slot. I figured if I play once a week all year it comes to $1560 (average price).

The course has a current special of $180/month which includes a weekday cart plan ($16/cart on weekends). I typically only play weekdays unless it's with friends, then I play weekends. At this rate I would break even after golfing 72 times in a calendar year.

Do you think it's worth the restriction of being tied into once course (I wouldn't be spending money to golf anywhere else if I had unlimited free golf.)?

My work schedule currently works out as one Sat/Sun off every other week. That gives me 28 weeks with one weekday to play whenever I want, and 28 weeks with 2 weekdays to play whenever I want. I have 84 guaranteed opportunities to play as I please (weather permitting). Additionally, I have an unspecified number of weekday shifts where I have until 1:40 PM before I have to go to work (18 holes in the morning), or can play when I get home from work at 3:20 PM. Figure I have at least one of each in week, I have another 2 opportunities to play per week, bringing the total to 196 potential golf days.

If you knew you had the potential to play 196 rounds of golf for $2,160 a year vs. $5,880 to play that same amount on your own free time, would you?

I know that's an unrealistic comparison because as it is now I only play once a week, but I absolutely love golfing and there isn't a better way I could see to spend my free time. At most I'm spending an extra $1000/yr to golf 4x as much. Would you do it?

For those of you that are members at a course, do you enjoy it?

Additionally, I wouldn't have to pay for a cart on a weekend if I walked after 12 PM.

^^ I am not a member anywhere but I thought I would weigh in on this. I would love to have a membership for the right price only if the course was nice and difficult enough to play all the time. If it was a so-so course I think I would get tired of it after a while. That being said if there is no initiation or anything like that go for it. Worst comes to worst you get tired of it after a few months and cancel, but your game will definitely improve alot playing that much.

ive been a member at my course since i was like 12
laugh.gif

nothing better than just walking to the 1st tee at 7:00pm and seeing how many holes you can finish

^^ I'm jelly.

Hit the range a while ago and tried out the 983k. Didn't hit it to well but I think I need to tee it up lower than those damn rubber tees on the mats. Was skying a bunch(not off the crown but way to high launch angle, even on a 9.5*) and had a few nasty slices. Probably go monday or tuesday and go through a whole large bucket trying to get it figured out. Had a few good draws though that were 250-260.

Played 9 holes today and broke my driver 
sick.gif
Hit the ball flush and it landed in the fairway. When I went to see why my club felt so light, the head was missing 
laugh.gif
How much will it cost to put a new shaft and what brand would you guys recommend ? Not trying to spend too much since I only play about twice a month. Thanks
21d3ont.jpg

Originally Posted by airblaster503

^^ I am not a member anywhere but I thought I would weigh in on this. I would love to have a membership for the right price only if the course was nice and difficult enough to play all the time. If it was a so-so course I think I would get tired of it after a while. That being said if there is no initiation or anything like that go for it. Worst comes to worst you get tired of it after a few months and cancel, but your game will definitely improve alot playing that much.
I love the course.  I think the initiation fee is $250 right now (used to be $3,000).  Anyway, I was playing there on Thursday and they had a tournament with flyers for the participants with a limited time offer @ $100/mo with $100 initiation, but I can't imagine that would include a weekday cart plan.  I'm going in on Monday to talk to the Membership Director.  I'm seriously thinking about doing it but trying to see if I can get them down to $140-150 with a weekday cart plan.

I found an online picture tour of the course, so sorry for all the pictures but here it is in optimal condition:

#14 (signature hole)

Sample Scorecard from online:

^^ Looks like a nice course, I say go for it. I would love to be able to play there daily. The only 2 courses in my town worth getting a membership to are private and want 5k initiation for a junior(under like 35) membership. Wouldn't be that bad but being in school keeps me from doing that.

Originally Posted by youngmoney

ive been a member at my course since i was like 12
laugh.gif

nothing better than just walking to the 1st tee at 7:00pm and seeing how many holes you can finish
I understand where you're coming from and don't blame you but from working at a golf course for two years, I used to hate guys like you hahaha, I'd always have to go out on a cart and kick the guys that were still on the course off because it was getting dark. Made me feel like such an %*@hole
tired.gif

I would definitely join that course if it's within your budget.

I've been a member at my local course for 2 years now and it's only a 9 hole course.  It can get a tad repetitive, but so far it hasn't botherd me.  Plus, I've been in a league there the last 4-5 years, and the majority of guys I golf with are also all members.  So it's more than worth it for me. 

eealto what course is that? I'm in Raleigh. Growing up I played at Prestonwood where my parents were members. We had our own cart so I could go out and tee off at like 5 or 6 and get in a full 18 in the summer. It was so tight.

Juicy J, it's the Neuse Golf Club in Clayton.  The only other courses I've played out here are RGA and Crooked Creek (Fuquay).  
I was having a killer round there yesterday.  All my drives were hitting the fairway, and my putter was absolutely on fire.  I had a chance to be even par after 6 holes but I broke down and took a stupid shot on a par 5....I was about 220 out after a 280 yd. drive, and instead of laying up I went for the green and ended up losing my ball in the bushes right of the green.  Instead of lying short of of the green in 2 I was on the green in 5.  Finished with a double.  Had a bigger breakdown when I lost 2 balls in the water on the same hole from the same downhill lie.  Ended up with a 10, had a 47 going out.  I had a realistic shot of shooting my first 9 under 40.  The back nine the beer kicked in and I lost a bunch of drives in the woods, but I had more fun.  

Finally played my 1st round of the season yesterday. Got out there with my father, was really nice to get some swings in. 1st time picking up a club in many, many months.

I've been on here for a while and never thought there would be a golf thread in here 
laugh.gif

I played for the first time in years when I went back home over the past weekend. Shot +7 over 9 holes, not bad, I actually expected worst. I would love to get back into golf again, but some of the green fees around here are crazy. Maybe I'll just take up the range over the summer and work on my swing.  I've had the same clubs/bag since high school with the exception of a driver I got off ebay for a decent price. I think it's time to upgrade to newer equipment 
eyes.gif

Anybody able to get a pair of the limited Masters Lunar Control's? They look pretty clean, I might have to go hunting for those 2010 TW's for $90, that's a steal 
pimp.gif

This past Saturday was one of my fav tournys of the year.. Our interclub Match play tourny with one of the other clubs here in Tulsa.. I played against another 10 handicap, and beat him 2 and 1.. Its a point system, we were even after 9 so both of us got 1/2 for the first 9, and then I got 1 point for the back 9 and 1 point for the over all win, so 2 1/2 points for my club.. We have spanked them 3 years in a row.. And I am undefeated in match play..

The front 9 I played well but got too aggressive on 2 short par 4s.. One I tried to carry water about 260 out, and I would of had it but the ball got caught up in the wind and went futher left, making the carry about 280, and I missed it by about 5-10 yards. so instead of having 50-60 yards to the green in prime position for a birdie, Im dropping where the ball crossed the hazard, and still have about 170 into the green.. still had a putt to tie the hole but I missed it.. The Greens were in GREAT shape.. they were rolling nice, and fast.. The type of greens I like to putt on.. but I have not had time to play on any greens that good, since our course just recently airated (sp?) the greens.. I had 8 Birdie putts inside 15 feet all day long, and I only made one birdie.. a 210 yard par 3 direcly into the wind.. I put my 5 wood inside 5 feet.. I thought that birdie would give me some momentum on the greens, then the next hole I had abt a 7 foot putt for par to tie the hole, and I lipped it out... I also 3 putted a par 5 for par.. left my eagle putt short, then lipped out my birdie putt... A frustrating day on the greens, but my short irons, and driver was nice on the back 9.. had a handful of drives over 300 right in the middle of the fairways, and a handful of great approach shots.. Just could not take adv with the flat stick... Will be practicing my putting a lot in the next month until the next tourny..

Last week I went to our course's Demo Day... I FINALLY got to hit the Nike VR blades.. LOVE THEM!!!! They are a great club.. I was surprised they had them in LH.. The Nike rep was very cool, him and I chatted about clubs and what not for a while.. I also hit the Titleist CBs, good club, but more impressed with the VRs.. I didnt like the Nike driver though.. I wanted to hit the smaller cc head, but he didnt have it in LH.. I hit the R11... that driver is Deep, but not a fan of the white club head.. I was impressed by the TMs Wedges.. First time I ever hit them.. the weight of the club feels great... Also finally hit a baffler (never ended up getting my from ebay) and also hit Adams new hybrids.. I was killing the 4i hybrid.. Might have to get me one... Wanted to hit Mizuno's blades and a few other things from Ping and Cleveland, but we had a storm roll thru and I left early before al the tornadoes were suppose to roll thru...

Originally Posted by Cali Fresh

Played 9 holes today and broke my driver 
sick.gif
Hit the ball flush and it landed in the fairway. [color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]When I went to see why my club felt so light, the head was missing[/color] 
laugh.gif
How much will it cost to put a new shaft and what brand would you guys recommend ? Not trying to spend too much since I only play about twice a month. Thanks

I lol'd.

Hit the range yesterday and finally got my driver figured out. The 983k is giving me at least 30 yards more over my old driver, putting it out there 260-270 but I think I need a new shaft. Currently has a Graphite Design YS-6 stiff in it and am just not consistent enough, one drive I will slice and the next I will hook it, could definitely feel it flex quite a bit on my swing. I read that the YS-6 is a shaft that is a bit softer than the flex suggests and it also has a mid flex point. Basically I need a recommendation for a shaft that is a bit stiffer and something that doesn't have a middle flex point. Not looking to spend that much(like to keep it under $100, less than that is even better) since it is an older club head and I am not sure how long I will keep it before moving to something else.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

983k is definitely not the most forgiving driver. did you try the 983e when you were buying it?
Nah I bought it online.  I don't think it is the driver though, I was able to work a nice draw and even fade a couple.  I can feel the shaft flex quite a bit more than I am used to so I am thinking about trying a stiffer shaft with a kick point closer to the tip.  Not sure if it will help but this is just a club I am messing around with anyways.  Edit:  guess I should mention I think it is the shaft flex because of the hooks, the slice I wasn't getting my hips cleared enough but when I hit a couple big hooks I could definitely feel the shaft flex more.

Finally had a week of dry weather and have a day off work tomorrow so am going out for 18, hoping to see how the extra distance off the tee helps my score.  Also tried the Cleveland Mashie yesterday and am probably going to pick that up soon, just have to order one with the heavier shaft than the 59g all the stores around here carry. 

Back
Top Bottom