Any Golfers on NT?

I'm looking to get some new wedges. Leaning towards a 54 and 60, but not too sure about the bounce. My wedge game is probably the weakest part of my game.

Any suggestions?

I play 2 wedges low bounce, 1 wedge high bounce, and 2 wedges medium bounce. I hit the high bounce out of deep rough and most sand situations. I hit the low bounce for full wedge shots 100 yards and in mostly off of fairway and light rough, and for chip shots around the greens. Medium bounce I hit everywhere.
A 60 degree wedge is a great club to have in your bag, but it can treat you poorly.  I use a lot for chip shots and short pitches where I don't want a lot of run out.  I carry a LOT of wedges....48, 53, 56x2 and a 60

Originally Posted by TrueBlue Magic

I'm looking to get some new wedges. Leaning towards a 54 and 60, but not too sure about the bounce. My wedge game is probably the weakest part of my game.

Any suggestions?
Do you know the loft of your pitching wedge?  Most are between 46* -48*.  I say go up by 4 degrees for your wedges, so if your PW is a 46* get a 50*, 54* and a 58*.  As for bounce what type of conditions do you play in.  Softer/deeper bounce= higher bounce.  Hard ground and tight lies = low bounce.  If it varies just get some medium bounce wedges that work well in almost all conditions.  And work your way down in loft.  So when you get new wedges work on your gap wedge and get good with that before moving onto a sand or lob wedge.  Will make your learning curve faster and better.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by TrueBlue Magic

Any suggestions?
Do you know the loft of your pitching wedge?  Most are between 46* -48*.  I say go up by 4 degrees for your wedges, so if your PW is a 46* get a 50*, 54* and a 58*.  As for bounce what type of conditions do you play in.  Softer/deeper bounce= higher bounce.  Hard ground and tight lies = low bounce.  If it varies just get some medium bounce wedges that work well in almost all conditions.  And work your way down in loft.  So when you get new wedges work on your gap wedge and get good with that before moving onto a sand or lob wedge.  Will make your learning curve faster and better.
My pitching wedge is 44*, gap wedge is 49*, sand wedge is 54* and lob wedge is 58*
I was thinking about getting a 54/8 and a 58/9 or 60/10

Yeah that is a pretty strong loft for a pitching wedge. I think your lofts now are good. And those bounces you listed are pretty versatile. I would suggest going to about a 54/10-12 for your sand wedge, I think 8* bounce is a little low for hitting out of a bunker. But again it all depends on the conditions you play.

His pitching wedge loft is my 9 iron loft.  That is what is so %+$*** up about new iron sets.  Makes no @*%**#+ sense to have such strong lofts.  

Originally Posted by eaalto

His pitching wedge loft is my 9 iron loft.  That is what is so %+$*** up about new iron sets.  Makes no @*%**#+ sense to have such strong lofts.  
That is how companies market their clubs having longer distance
laugh.gif
  And why most sets like that now days are sold as 4-PW rather than including a 3 iron. 

Anyone have tips for getting started. I really want/need to get some level of a golf game and really havent had any practiceor guidance ever.

I picked up a Nike Driver on Woot for a pretty good deal and as of now its my only club (lol). I think I'd be better served hitting the range with an Iron though. Any recommendations on which club is best suited for the first itmes out there on a range finding your swing?

That is how companies market their clubs having longer distance
laugh.gif
  And why most sets like that now days are sold as 4-PW rather than including a 3 iron. 
Seriously... What the %@!# I need a 8 Iron to go 9 yards longer than it already does for me???  Give me an iron that I can stick on the green, IDGAF about extra yards on an iron. Especially when you're marketing like its got some sort of magical tech when really you just took the loft down 3*
indifferent.gif
RBZ PW is like 45* too.

Originally Posted by Swifty Cent

Anyone have tips for getting started. I really want/need to get some level of a golf game and really havent had any practiceor guidance ever.

I picked up a Nike Driver on Woot for a pretty good deal and as of now its my only club (lol). I think I'd be better served hitting the range with an Iron though. Any recommendations on which club is best suited for the first itmes out there on a range finding your swing?

Go to the used club section of a golf store and pick up a cheap starter set of clubs. You can tell the staff you are a new golfer and they should be able to point out game improvement irons, and maybe a 56 degree wedge. You can get out the door for under $125. See if you can watch some people swing at the range, and try your best to imitate them and see if you have any kind of a natural swing. Irons are the best place to start.

If you are looking for a single iron get a 6 since that is what most demo clubs are made as, they are easy to find.  But like eealto said you can get a whole beginner set pretty cheap so that is the best way to go.  Also most important thing is swing plane.  I posted a video in here somewhere back in this mess that you need to watch, I will see if I can dig it up and post it for you later.

For example...
I found Mizuno MX-15 irons with DG S300 and pretty decent Tour Velvet grips for $75.00...a never hit 56 degree Cleveland CG 10 wedge for $29.00...the list goes on.  

You can probably get a little overwhelmed in the beginning with how many different options there are for a new golfer.  Like airblaster, I used to hit Wilson GI Irons...I actually still have them sitting in the garage.  Wilson Ultra MBT...I could never hit the driver, so I only ever played the 3 wood, 5 wood, and the irons.  

I had a steep learning curve when it came to equipment, and had no idea about different shaft flexes, varying swing weights, club lofts, etc.  It's pretty interesting how many variables there are to getting properly fitted for a set of clubs.

Lazy day watching Tiger at Bay Hill so im gonna fill this page up with some pics of my stuff I got in the bag.

Irons are Callaway X-18 Pro's

52* and 56* are CG14's 60* is CG10

Originally Posted by k0betw0

you could do an even MORE awesome deal that is a little known secret.... DONT TELL NOBODY
ebay vrs: 220
this shaft for 77: http://www.ebay.com/itm/G...&hash=item256822d2d5
labor: again 20

the link to that shaft was a prototype of the graphite design di6 that everyone loves. it just doesn't have the cool white/orange paint...

thats pretty much the best bang for the buck / highest performance i could think of....

Kobetwo,
Did you try this shaft on driver? 

Your empressions?

I'm wondering if its too good to be true. 

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Originally Posted by k0betw0

you could do an even MORE awesome deal that is a little known secret.... DONT TELL NOBODY
ebay vrs: 220
this shaft for 77: http://www.ebay.com/itm/G...&hash=item256822d2d5
labor: again 20

the link to that shaft was a prototype of the graphite design di6 that everyone loves. it just doesn't have the cool white/orange paint...

thats pretty much the best bang for the buck / highest performance i could think of....
Kobetwo,
Did you try this shaft on driver? 

Your empressions?

I'm wondering if its too good to be true. 

i have tried this shaft. it's pretty much the di6 as i stated before. it's not really "too good to be true" because it actually is sold from graphite design hahahahaha. it's a very high quality shaft. key to remember though you need to tip this at minimum of 1". great shaft, it just looks like a cheap ys-q and i'm not sure if it's made in japan like the standard deep impact series.

I got my Di6 for $150 shipped with the TOUR metal r11s/RBZ adapter installed.
pimp.gif
Love it so far. Gonna sell my TP Matrix HD6s asap.

Does anyone know if Tiger is still using the Nike Method putter or did he go back to his Scotty Cameron? I kept trying
to see when he was putting but couldn't tell.

Originally Posted by gabers

Does anyone know if Tiger is still using the Nike Method putter or did he go back to his Scotty Cameron? I kept trying
to see when he was putting but couldn't tell.

Hes using Nike.

EDIT: Additional info...

[h3]About Tiger Woods[/h3]
  • Full Name: Eldrick "Tiger" Woods
  • Residence: Orlando, Fla.
  • Children: Sam Alexis (6/18/2007)
                     Charlie Axel (2/8/2009)
  • Parents: Earl and Kultida Woods
  • Born: December 30, 1975 (Cypress, Calif.)
  • High School: Western H.S. (Anaheim, Calif.)
  • College: Stanford University (Palo Alto, Calif.)
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 185
  • Turned Pro: 1996
[h4]In the Bag[/h4][table][tr][td]
TigerBag_150.jpg

TigerPutter_150.jpg
[/td][td]Tiger's Driver
• Nike VR Tour 8.5

Fairway Woods
• Nike VR Pro LTD 3 Wood (15 degrees)
• Nike SQ II 5 Wood (19 degrees)
*Tiger will put his 5 Wood or 2 Iron in the bag depending upon the course setup and conditions

Irons
• Nike VR Pro Blades

Wedges
• Nike 56 degree VR PRO SW
• Nike 60 degree VR PRO LW

Putter
• Nike Method 001

Ball
• One Tour D

Golf Gloves
• Nike Dri-FIT Tour glove

Golf Shoes
• Nike TW Free Inspired Prototype[/td][/tr][/table]

Ouch on that toe hit.  Range ball?  

hahah yea man dirty #@% chewed up range balls SMH.

Learned pretty quick that I should be practicing my new swing posture/path with my Cobra instead LOL.

If you are looking for a single iron get a 6 since that is what most demo clubs are made as, they are easy to find.  But like eealto said you can get a whole beginner set pretty cheap so that is the best way to go.  Also most important thing is swing plane.  I posted a video in here somewhere back in this mess that you need to watch, I will see if I can dig it up and post it for you later.
Thanks...Sounds like a plan

Been playing golf since I can remember but have never had a great interest in shafts and specs like a lot of you guys.

Had a graffaloy blue pro launch on my Nike Ignite that I used in high school. Liked that shaft, but couldn't really differentiate it from others. Just picked up the VR LE Driver and 3 wood and I have the stock shafts on them.

I'm wondering where you guys go to learn about all the various shafts and what they do. I'd like to learn a lot more about the specs and clubmaking type stuff, seeing as how all I can do is change grips right now.

Any info or links to info is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Been playing golf since I can remember but have never had a great interest in shafts and specs like a lot of you guys.

Had a graffaloy blue pro launch on my Nike Ignite that I used in high school. Liked that shaft, but couldn't really differentiate it from others. Just picked up the VR LE Driver and 3 wood and I have the stock shafts on them.

I'm wondering where you guys go to learn about all the various shafts and what they do. I'd like to learn a lot more about the specs and clubmaking type stuff, seeing as how all I can do is change grips right now.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/

Start there...

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

fraji mentioned golfwrx. its an ok place to start but that place has gone down the tubes in terms of quality of information... a lot of the specs and info i get is from PERSONAL experience... if im not playing, i spend my time in front of a launch monitor testing everything. shafts make a huge difference these days. while there are differences in heads, for the most part, many of them are very similar (within the last 2 years) and all have great performance. a lot of the differentiation in heads is personal preference in looks. deep face vs shallow face. adjustability vs glued shafts. weight changing or not. sound. these are the types of things to look at but the performance for most are very similar and all very well performing.

Back
Top Bottom