Any Golfers on NT?

In Yo Nostril, I can give you a few ideas...

if you talk about durability, the grooves on cast clubs are much more durable than forged. Avoid anything released in 2010 if you do not compete at a high level as golf companies must sell grooves that conform to the new rules. In the long run, spin is most dependent upon how well you make contact with the ball. If you hit the ball well, the sharpness of the grooves is not as important.

So my search for irons is definitely on hold for now.  I used everyones input and read some reviews and I had it narrowed to a couple different sets.  I had a plan that within the next couple weeks I would try to find a store that carried them all so I could demo them.  I also decided that I was finally going to buy the White Ice putter that I've been looking at for a while. 

So, I played 18 on Thursday, 9 on Sunday, and 27 today.  And what do I do?  I proceed to putt the best I ever have in my life.  And my iron shots were the crispest they've been all season. 
laugh.gif

I swear my clubs know when I talk about replacing them.  A couple of weeks ago I was telling my boy that I was thinking about ditching my 3 wood for a new hybrid.  The next par 5 I crushed my 2nd shot pin high, and then smoked it down the middle off the next tee.  Been hitting it great ever since.  I'm convinced these things got a mind of their own. 
laugh.gif

As far as hot wedges, I got the Nike VR 56 degree, and I can get spin anywhere.  Rough, fairway, fringe, whatever.  Only thing that sucks about it is that it completely destroys Pro V's.  If I hit a full shot with it, you will literally see pieces of the cover of the ball in the grooves after the shot.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

getting up and down from around the green is probably the most important skill in golf, in my opinion anyway. most people just dont like putting in the practice time with the wedges.

I am actually the opposite.  I rather hit 500 chips/bunker/flop shots around the greens than 200 range balls, tring to smoke my driver to the fence like most ppl i see at the range. (which 90% never come close)... At first I HAD to do it, because I would miss so many dang greens.. now that I am become  a better player, and I am starting to hit a lot of greens, I still practice my short game alot.. Its SOOOOO important to have more than just one option on a shot when you are around the green... I was watching the golf channel, and I heard Ernie Els say that (I think he got it from Gary Player) but he will not leave the chipping green, until he holes a shot out..  So I have started that same habit....

Also Just got some new Irons this past week.. Titleist AP2's... they are VERY NICE... I am killing them though.. so I will have to learn my new distances with them...

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

kobetwo, whats the new hotness in wedges. which ones retain their spin?

yo sorry for the late reply. i JUST read your post....

new hotness is the callaway jaws wedge. i havent hit them because they have too much bounce for me but they still have the .md. grooves that are the bombskiowens.

other wedges that are sick are the 2009 spin milled. x-forged and surprisingly the nike vr wedge.

i think the key to retaining the spin on all these wedges is the finish.

the chromed out wedges (whether its full on mirror chrome or satin finish chrome) typically are carbon steel plated with copper then plated chrome

whereas the raw, oil-can, black-oxide wedges are just carbon steel with a liquid coating. these carbon only do rust and theyre softer so IMO they wear out faster due to the softer metal.

the chromed wedges have the extra few micrometers of plating which creates a more durable finish to the face / grooves. they produce a slightly more clicky / harsh feel but i think the durability of the wedges will last longer.

if i had to pick a single brand for all 3 of my wedges, it would be titleist spin-milled 2009 wedges.

if i were to split up brands, i would go titleist spin milled in 52 and 56 and go callaway x-forged with the .md. grooves in the 60

Tried the new Titleist DT Solo ball

$20 a box

very nice distance... very soft around the green... and had a really true roll on the green.

I would def give it a shot if youre trying to find a ball that fits you.

Having an issue with pulling a majority of my par 3's left. Any thoughts, quick fixes? Becoming quite frustrated.

uh, you cant move par 3s. if you have issues pulling your irons however, i suggest if you want a quick fix, aim right, shoot left. if you want to really fix it, try working on pulling your right elbow (assuming you're right handed) in towards your right hip so you aren't going over the top on your downswing.

Hey guys... hope you can help me out

took some vids of my golf swing..im so inconsistent off the tee

any help would be greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Hey guys... hope you can help me out

took some vids of my golf swing..im so inconsistent off the tee

any help would be greatly appreciated

you want to be careful not to come over the top on your swing.  always want to start your downswing with your legs/lower body.. If you can find a program that you can run your video next to a PGA pros video of their swing.. same view and speed it really helps.. my instructor  told me of one you can DL, but I cant remember what it is. I will find out.. I always put my swing up against Fred Couples.. Works Wonders for my tempo for obvious reasons..

Any one ever try a "Heavy Putter"? I was playing with one the other day at Roger Dunn and I was so ridiculously consistent with it.

I see them on eBay for $30-$40 so I'm thinking about picking one up.

@Jwill JR
Thanks, I'm searching for it now! I have fought coming over the top for a while, and then I feel in the second swing like Im fighting off an inside pitch (if anyone has ever played baseball) because I'm trying so hard.
Also I do feel that my lower body is quiet, but I am scared of turning out too soon

Some improvement s I have made is less flex in my knees and less "head drop"

@eaalto

Its a Vr Driver with a voodoo shaft, not to sure what the flex but I wanna say its Reg

wink.gif
I have golf shoes, AM1 were a surprise trip to the range LOL

It's only a small suggestion, and it certainly can't hurt - try going to a golf shop that has computer fitting and get your swing speed measured. As a generic reference: 80-95 MPH should use Regular flex, 90-105 MPH should use Stiff flex, 105 + should use X-Stiff flex. In those videos it looked like you were absolutely killing the ball, so not being mated to the proper shaft flex could be a variable that is hurting your consistency.

@Jwill JR
Thanks, I'm searching for it now! I have fought coming over the top for a while, and then I feel in the second swing like Im fighting off an inside pitch (if anyone has ever played baseball) because I'm trying so hard.
Also I do feel that my lower body is quiet, but I am scared of turning out too soon

Some improvement s I have made is less flex in my knees and less "head drop"

@eaalto

Its a Vr Driver with a voodoo shaft, not to sure what the flex but I wanna say its Reg

wink.gif
I have golf shoes, AM1 were a surprise trip to the range LOL

that shaft is too fimsy for you.. definantly get  a stiff flex... on the 2nd swing, you are coming out of your shot.. that is something you want work on rotating around your spine, not moving away from the ball.. some ppl move away, some ppl move to the ball (Barkley is the worst case seneiro.)

look at Freddie's Swing, notice two things that you could work on looking at his swing.

1.) he starts his swing with his lower body.
2.) he swing around his spine. keeping the same level with his head.

smokin.gif
Jwill JR wrote:

@Jwill JR

that shaft is too fimsy for you.. definantly get  a stiff flex... on the 2nd swing, you are coming out of your shot.. that is something you want work on rotating around your spine, not moving away from the ball.. some ppl move away, some ppl move to the ball (Barkley is the worst case seneiro.)

look at Freddie's Swing, notice two things that you could work on looking at his swing.

thanks...
"you are coming out of your shot"
lower body? hips?

things i noticed right away in the vid is how straight up he is throughout his swing, i have a tendency to bend in an athletic position
smh.gif

my goal is to get an Ernie Els type swing off the tee

smokin.gif
Jwill JR wrote:

@Jwill JR

thanks...
"you are coming out of your shot"
lower body? hips?

things i noticed right away in the vid is how straight up he is throughout his swing, i have a tendency to bend in an athletic position
smh.gif

my goal is to get an Ernie Els type swing off the tee

The coming out of your shot is kinda what you said in one of your post, with the baseball reference.. sorta like you're backing away as you are strinking the ball... One thing that will help, is when your are warming up on the range, get to where you know you are ready to hit, and your body is lose, and while still on the range take 5 or 6 swings and just tring to kill the ball... then take 5 more and try to hit about 85%.. you'll see the difference... 85% swing hitting the ball in the sweet spot is going to leave you in a better position than hitting the ball with 115% swing and hitting it on the heel/toe.. trust me, this was my biggest issue.. tring to kill the ball each time.. but now that I have become a better ball striker, I can swing 100% and still hit it good.. it just takes alot of time and practice..

That's not advice I'm sure I would take....going up and doing 5-6 all out practice swings , followed by 5-6 slower tempo swings, is just overkill, especially if we're talking about doing this on the course. Ready golf. If you want something practical, just slow your swing speed down and focus on having a calm and even tempo. Once you have grooved a reliable and consistent swing, then you can start to amp up the speed if necessary. Straight and down the middle will give you better results than scattered in the trees/rough/etc. 1-2 practice swings at best. Create a pre-shot routine that you execute on every shot if you want to have more consistency.

But really, there is nothing more irritating than a golfer who takes 50 warm up swings before every shot.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about warming up on the first tee, then whatever, do what you like.  I usually just swing a couple times holding 2 clubs to loosen up (like using a donut in baseball).

Originally Posted by eaalto

That's not advice I'm sure I would take....going up and doing 5-6 all out practice swings , followed by 5-6 slower tempo swings, is just overkill, especially if we're talking about doing this on the course. Ready golf. If you want something practical, just slow your swing speed down and focus on having a calm and even tempo. Once you have grooved a reliable and consistent swing, then you can start to amp up the speed if necessary. Straight and down the middle will give you better results than scattered in the trees/rough/etc. 1-2 practice swings at best. Create a pre-shot routine that you execute on every shot if you want to have more consistency.

But really, there is nothing more irritating than a golfer who takes 50 warm up swings before every shot.

Na man, lol...no way I'd tell someone to do that on their practice swings.. I meant on the Range before a round.... not before each shot... talk about a 5 hour round..

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

Na man, lol...no way I'd tell someone to do that on their practice swings.. I meant on the Range before a round.... not before each shot... talk about a 5 hour round..

laugh.gif
Stupid misunderstanding on my part.

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

laugh.gif
Stupid misunderstanding on my part.

Dude, I would be pissed if I was playing behind someone going up and take 5-6 CRAZY Hard practice swings before each shot...haha

A buddy of Mine just called me and wants me to play in a 2 man scramble today, should be fun.. Its at a really nice course, and its a private tournamet, and only about 10 teams.. I guess the guy who is putting it on, has connections with lots of golf manufactors because there are some good prizes, and they have contest for Longest Drive, and a few Closest to the pin.. for only a 10 team tournament thats really good odd of winning...plus a chance to game my new AP2's for the 1st time in a semi seroius round.!!!! 

Shot my low score of the year today, 91 (48 out, 43 in) at Knollwood (Los Angeles area).

Shot my low score of the year today, 91 (48 out, 43 in) at Knollwood (Los Angeles area).

Good job man!

Last saturday, my buddy and I won the 2 man tourny.. even though it was 95* and so humid, it was a good round.. my friend is about a 5-6 handicap, and we took about the same amount of each other's shots.. so that gave me a nice bod of confidence... played sunday, shot a 84..which I lost a few shots due to bad course management (hit into a creek, thats appr 305 yards from the tee box... I have hit to the creek a few times, but guess I just hit it just right)... so that was a bogey, when could of been birdie..*(the hole is 340 or so, and the creek is about 10 yards aross, then a lil collection area in front of the green) And a few more holes that I should of used 3 or 5 wood and had better position, rather than go after it with a driver... City Championship is a week from Saturday.. 36 holes, should be fun.. I hope to shoot high 70s very low 80s.. but I am not going to worry about my score.. just take one shot at a time....

Back
Top Bottom