Any Lexus ES 350 owners? or Lexus heads in general?

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

es=camry

it really is though
luxury camry, smooth ride and reliable. nothing special at all. it is what it is.

The ES is a really nice car. I have a 06 GS too but that bi*& rattles like a mofo. All GS's rattle like a mofo. But still nice car a little underpowered.

The ES is a good option. everyone thinks its a upgraded Camry, but it just blows it out the water. I bet half the people that say camry = ES never even drove a ES before. Smooth ride, quiet, powerful, good resale value and etc. its a great car for the value, doesnt compare to a camry.

If you decide to go to the dealership for service expect to pay around 100-120 per oil change( they give you a free loaner, food and etc at the dealership but who cares right?)

Try to buy a certified because of the warranty.

The ES is a really nice car. I have a 06 GS too but that bi*& rattles like a mofo. All GS's rattle like a mofo. But still nice car a little underpowered.

The ES is a good option. everyone thinks its a upgraded Camry, but it just blows it out the water. I bet half the people that say camry = ES never even drove a ES before. Smooth ride, quiet, powerful, good resale value and etc. its a great car for the value, doesnt compare to a camry.

If you decide to go to the dealership for service expect to pay around 100-120 per oil change( they give you a free loaner, food and etc at the dealership but who cares right?)

like everyone says, them ESs get the job done.

my mama has a 330 and its a big difference in ride from other whips.

and it holds her down cuz she does alot of driving.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

like everyone says, them ESs get the job done.

my mama has a 330 and its a big difference in ride from other whips.

and it holds her down cuz she does alot of driving.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i don't understand this "luxury camry" business.. yes, the two cars are on the same platform. but did it ever occur to you that some people don't want a Camry?

Lexus gives you a smoother ride and more luxury. it may seem like a lot for the price difference, but if i was buying a car i'd keep for a while i wouldn't think twice about spending the extra money. you're gonna be driving around in this thing every single day for at least 5 years, buy something you'll be happy with.

i don't understand this "luxury camry" business.. yes, the two cars are on the same platform. but did it ever occur to you that some people don't want a Camry?

Lexus gives you a smoother ride and more luxury. it may seem like a lot for the price difference, but if i was buying a car i'd keep for a while i wouldn't think twice about spending the extra money. you're gonna be driving around in this thing every single day for at least 5 years, buy something you'll be happy with.

wow OP pretty much mirrors my chain of thought.. I was looking at the IS at first but with my little man the ES provides some more back seat room. My mom has an 08 IS250.. Drove it on a trip from O town to Ft laud last month and I was def feeling that.. I'm looking to test drive the ES in the next month or so.. than make a decision.. Looking for under 30 K miles and to cop for no more than 22000..

A lot of ignorance about Lexus in here.

Go for it man the ES is the most reliable car you will ever own.

wow OP pretty much mirrors my chain of thought.. I was looking at the IS at first but with my little man the ES provides some more back seat room. My mom has an 08 IS250.. Drove it on a trip from O town to Ft laud last month and I was def feeling that.. I'm looking to test drive the ES in the next month or so.. than make a decision.. Looking for under 30 K miles and to cop for no more than 22000..

A lot of ignorance about Lexus in here.

Go for it man the ES is the most reliable car you will ever own.

hope I can offer some insight.

I have an 07 ES350... well kinda sorta not really. Its the wifes car. We bought it new in 06 (final payment this month! woohoo!) and while it has been fairly reliable, there have been a couple of hiccups.
Currently the car has around 60K miles on it and it has been in for 2 somewhat major issues thus far.

Issue 1 was a couple years back, at approx 35K miles. It wasn't an actual breakdown, but moreso a precautionary measure. At that time, I had a mutual friend who was a mechanic at one of the local Lexus dealerships. I would take both of my cars to him for service (mine is an 02 Toyota 4Runner, but not really relevant to the story) since he would work on the cars during his break or after hours and charge me in booze and small change. One time I took it in to get an oil change done and the mechanic mentioned to me that there was a recent recall announced. I had not experienced any problems while driving, but the mechanic said that it was better to take this precautionary measure now instead of having a major breakdown on the road. To be honest, I dont even remember what it was, but it required 1 week in the shop since they had to pull the entire motor out of the car to work on it. It was all covered under warranty so it wasnt too big of a deal. Got the wife a loaner, and got her car back a week later.

Issue 2 happened about a year ago. There is some contention as to what actually caused it, so there is a chance that it was human error. By this time I had lost contact with my Lexus mechanic cause he got shipped out to Afghanistan (Army guy). The same friend that introduced me to that mechanic was now dating a chick whos father owned a garage. My buddy took his car (Porsche Cayenne) to his now soon to be father in law, so I figured if its good enough for him its good enough for me. Again, took the wife's car in for an oil change. After the oil change we probably put about 40 miles or so on the car, no problem. The next morning my wife was driving to church, and all of a sudden the car is going crazy like she just flew through Ice Man's jetwash. Wife pulls the car over as fast as she can and the thing is just dumping oil everywhere. Long story short, we had to end up towing it back to the shop so they could take a look. Mechanic at first thought that my wife had hit/ran over something which dislodged the oil pan. Wife swears that she didnt, and she would have known if she did (I believe her). Once they had the car up on the lift, they start checkin everything out, and found the culprit. Apparantly one of the rubber hoses had somehow punctured on its own, and that small puncture eventually turned into a full on tear. Now the mechanics son mentioned to me that he had the exact same issue happen to him in his old car (2007 Toyota Avalon). He believed that it was a build flaw in that platform of vehicles (who knows if its true). It was a fairly easy fix once they found the puncture, but it was a complete pain in the butt that day. Bonus loss was that there were 6 quarts of Mobil One oil now pooled on some random road in LA.

Potential Issue 3. Typically the car drives great. Very smooth comfortable ride, nice and quiet cabin, no complaints. Just this week though I noticed some slight vibration and rumble upon ignition. The same vibration will occur when I hit the brakes and slow the car to a stop at a stoplight. The car seems to drive fine aside from the vibration, but as a precaution I am gonna have it checked out. Unfortunately the earliest appointment I could get is next Tuesday, so I wont know if its an issue til then. Hopefully its not. The timing would be pretty damn ironic if it ends up being an issue seeing as how the car will finally be paid off this month and that "payment" money will have to go towards some stupid repairs.

hope I can offer some insight.

I have an 07 ES350... well kinda sorta not really. Its the wifes car. We bought it new in 06 (final payment this month! woohoo!) and while it has been fairly reliable, there have been a couple of hiccups.
Currently the car has around 60K miles on it and it has been in for 2 somewhat major issues thus far.

Issue 1 was a couple years back, at approx 35K miles. It wasn't an actual breakdown, but moreso a precautionary measure. At that time, I had a mutual friend who was a mechanic at one of the local Lexus dealerships. I would take both of my cars to him for service (mine is an 02 Toyota 4Runner, but not really relevant to the story) since he would work on the cars during his break or after hours and charge me in booze and small change. One time I took it in to get an oil change done and the mechanic mentioned to me that there was a recent recall announced. I had not experienced any problems while driving, but the mechanic said that it was better to take this precautionary measure now instead of having a major breakdown on the road. To be honest, I dont even remember what it was, but it required 1 week in the shop since they had to pull the entire motor out of the car to work on it. It was all covered under warranty so it wasnt too big of a deal. Got the wife a loaner, and got her car back a week later.

Issue 2 happened about a year ago. There is some contention as to what actually caused it, so there is a chance that it was human error. By this time I had lost contact with my Lexus mechanic cause he got shipped out to Afghanistan (Army guy). The same friend that introduced me to that mechanic was now dating a chick whos father owned a garage. My buddy took his car (Porsche Cayenne) to his now soon to be father in law, so I figured if its good enough for him its good enough for me. Again, took the wife's car in for an oil change. After the oil change we probably put about 40 miles or so on the car, no problem. The next morning my wife was driving to church, and all of a sudden the car is going crazy like she just flew through Ice Man's jetwash. Wife pulls the car over as fast as she can and the thing is just dumping oil everywhere. Long story short, we had to end up towing it back to the shop so they could take a look. Mechanic at first thought that my wife had hit/ran over something which dislodged the oil pan. Wife swears that she didnt, and she would have known if she did (I believe her). Once they had the car up on the lift, they start checkin everything out, and found the culprit. Apparantly one of the rubber hoses had somehow punctured on its own, and that small puncture eventually turned into a full on tear. Now the mechanics son mentioned to me that he had the exact same issue happen to him in his old car (2007 Toyota Avalon). He believed that it was a build flaw in that platform of vehicles (who knows if its true). It was a fairly easy fix once they found the puncture, but it was a complete pain in the butt that day. Bonus loss was that there were 6 quarts of Mobil One oil now pooled on some random road in LA.

Potential Issue 3. Typically the car drives great. Very smooth comfortable ride, nice and quiet cabin, no complaints. Just this week though I noticed some slight vibration and rumble upon ignition. The same vibration will occur when I hit the brakes and slow the car to a stop at a stoplight. The car seems to drive fine aside from the vibration, but as a precaution I am gonna have it checked out. Unfortunately the earliest appointment I could get is next Tuesday, so I wont know if its an issue til then. Hopefully its not. The timing would be pretty damn ironic if it ends up being an issue seeing as how the car will finally be paid off this month and that "payment" money will have to go towards some stupid repairs.

Mojodmonky1 wrote:
It might be your rotors. I had the same problem a few months back and got my rotors shaved to even them out.

I'm not a car guy, but that's what happened with me. Hopefully it's something simple like that. I have a '99 GS BTW

Mojodmonky1 wrote:
It might be your rotors. I had the same problem a few months back and got my rotors shaved to even them out.

I'm not a car guy, but that's what happened with me. Hopefully it's something simple like that. I have a '99 GS BTW

Originally Posted by roora85

we got my wife an IS '08 used certified. they'll try to sell you a maintenance package as well, just do your homework. her car had 30k on it, they had a maintenance package for $1200 that included oil changes at every 5k and new timing belt at 100k. also comes with free loaner, unlimited car wash and vacuum. normally i would NEVER buy those maintenance package, but my wife is horrible at getting oil changes at a decent interval (loaner car is extremely convenient, they have a 100+car fleet for loaners at our local dealership), she's horrible at washing her car (her '00 integra was washed a total of 5 times in its life), and mostly the new timing belt which can cost anywhere from $400 to $600 by itself. i talked to the service guy and asked him what was their big money maker as far as services goes, and he said tires, batteries and alignments since none of those are covered under used certified warranty.

Originally Posted by roora85

we got my wife an IS '08 used certified. they'll try to sell you a maintenance package as well, just do your homework. her car had 30k on it, they had a maintenance package for $1200 that included oil changes at every 5k and new timing belt at 100k. also comes with free loaner, unlimited car wash and vacuum. normally i would NEVER buy those maintenance package, but my wife is horrible at getting oil changes at a decent interval (loaner car is extremely convenient, they have a 100+car fleet for loaners at our local dealership), she's horrible at washing her car (her '00 integra was washed a total of 5 times in its life), and mostly the new timing belt which can cost anywhere from $400 to $600 by itself. i talked to the service guy and asked him what was their big money maker as far as services goes, and he said tires, batteries and alignments since none of those are covered under used certified warranty.

i have an 03 ES300.
its a real smooth ride with roomy interior and great stock sound. mpg = 20mpg.... *kanye shrug*
only thing i dont real like is the acceleration. the car has no torque at all. when trying to accelerate from a stand-still, it can lag for up to 1.5 seconds. taken it to several mechanics and they cant figure it out themselves.

i have an 03 ES300.
its a real smooth ride with roomy interior and great stock sound. mpg = 20mpg.... *kanye shrug*
only thing i dont real like is the acceleration. the car has no torque at all. when trying to accelerate from a stand-still, it can lag for up to 1.5 seconds. taken it to several mechanics and they cant figure it out themselves.

Back
Top Bottom