Any NTer's American Express cardholders???

what credit cards did you guys get as a first.
im having the hardest time since nobody wants to accept someone with no credit history

I'm having the hardest time since nobody wants to accept someone with no credit history
Get a store brand credit card. They re way more lenient with who they give them out to. Try The GapCard

Gold Rewards and Blue Preferred Rewards. The Blue is my favorite CC I have. Racked up $78 cash back in the first four months.

im having the hardest time since nobody wants to accept someone with no credit history

I got a credit card through my bank/credit union at first and used that for a few years before getting a retail credit card at store I shop at frequently (Best Buy).

Gold premier card. The platinum is only worth it if you travel ALOT. I pretty much use this as my debit card and use it for everything so I can get those points and the extended warranty they give you on stuff.

I have the Amex JetBlue card. I love it.

Just used the points to book a trip to miami.

Last edited:
got a gold card, i know i got like 1k pts or something like that...might use that n take a trip to TX for sxsw

I always charge with my AMEX. :nthat:

The skymiles program is great. I used it to travel to Asia this past summer.

-Drew

I am buying a Range Rover Evoque and AMEX will allow me to charge about $20k on it and I get 3% back...love AMEX

American Express customer service 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This. Gold Rewards x Blue.

like somebody said. Store card. I think GE capital is known for being good with starters. Gap, Old Navy, Walmart, etc. 

Also try Best Buy or Target. As long as it reports your good. (i find a card that reports to experian and transunion is better, especially if u want a AMEX in the future. Since Amex pulls Experian in most states)

Blue Cash Everyday

3% cash back at US stand-alone supermarkets for the first $6,000 spent in a calender year, after that it's 1%.
2% cash back on gas at US stand-alone gas stations and select major department stores
1% cash back on all other purchases

No Annual Fee. Got $250 for spending $1000 in the first 3 months.

Get the AMEX ZYNC.

TPG reader Dianna had a great question that sums up one of the challenges facing many young people looking for ways to build their credit without much income:

“I am currently a college student and a world traveler but I do not have all the things necessary to build a credit report. Most articles seem to be for people who have a stable job and consistent income. My income consists of earnings from summer jobs and babysitting during the school year. I was wondering if it is still possible for me to take advantage of using credit cards to earn free traveling points. I do have a credit score from currently holding a credit card and debit card, but have no installment payments or other kinds of credit-building material. I would appreciate any type of advice!”

College students can, and should, begin building their credit, but should take a slow and intelligent approach. Since most college students’ incomes are low, they need to be careful about running up balances, because it can be nearly impossible to dig yourself out of debt once you start accruing. A couple hundred bucks can easily become a couple thousand – and when you are only making a small amount of income, the interest on those balance can start to spiral out of control. There are countless stories of college students getting sucked into huge credit card bills, simply out of poor financial decisions and egregious interest rates (which most college student/intro credit cards have).

However, if you want to get in the miles and points game – you can absolutely leverage your credit as a college student and you can get cards without having a large annual income. Here are a couple tips:

1. Understand how credit works. Educate yourself on the different aspects of credit and how cards work. My simple tip: Don’t run a balance, because the amount you pay in interest will likely negate the value of the rewards you receive. Check out this post for a primer on how credit scores work.

2. If your parents have great credit, you can ask to be added as an additional cardholder on one of their accounts so your credit benefits from their long, positive histories. You don’t even need to use the card – in fact tell them that you don’t want the additional card – simply the positive credit “juice” of being associated with them. For example, if your parents have had an American Express card from before you were born, you can still get that positive history by being an additional cardholder! Check out this post for more info.

3. If you want to start from scratch, get a card that is geared toward new credit applicants or college students. They may not have the absolute best rewards, but if you handle your new found credit responsibly, your chances of getting approved for a premium rewards card will increase drastically. Remember, you should have a long-term strategy in the miles and points game.

For young people just starting out with credit and looking to get some benefits from their cards, I’d most recommend the Chase Freedom card because there’s no annual fee and the points you rack up can later be converted into premium Ultimate Rewards if you end up getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred down the road. That means the points (including the rotating 5x bonus category points) can later be transferred to United, British Airways, Korean, Southwest, Hyatt, Marriott, Priority Club, Ritz-Carlton and Amtrak points. Also, if your parents/friends have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink Bold, you can transfer your Freedom points to them and then they can transfer those points into your frequent flyer/hotel point account. Check out this post, written by a college student contributor, on the top college credit cards out there.

If your credit is already less-than-stellar, don’t get mired down. You can turn things around by getting a secured credit card, like the Capital One Secured, and pay it off regularly to start re-building your score.

Last edited:

get a secured card, no one will give you a card with 0 credit. i had to do that as well

Amex is awesome, I've been a member for years. Zync is discontinued though, whomever said that above.

Good deal alert*

If your're in NYC / Chicago and want to go to Toronto or Montreal. All it takes is 4500 Amex points (that you'll transfer to British Airways) + 127 dollars for a round trip ticket 8) .

+ British Airways is having a 30% transfer bonus right now!

15rh5xi.png

Last edited:
Anybody have their card(s) synced to Twitter or Foursquare?

Spend 30 on NBA get 10 back :smokin

Back
Top Bottom