Any NTers in the Air Force, or intend on going?

jigsaw...so what are the most difficult programs? and when people fail what happens? they are sent home? or do they get to do additional training to retest? what about basic training what happens when you cant pass your pft? sorry for all the questions...just inquiring...

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

When i see my recruiter can i tell him the 3-4 jobs that i wanna do and say i'm not signing up unless i'm guaranteed one of these spots. Don't know how picky i can be when it comes to that. i know it comes down to my ASVAB score on whether or not i can land that certain position but if my scores are good i want to make sure i go in with the position i pick.

- can you? sure. yall have to understand they need you more than you need them. the ball is in your court. you can go in there and let them place you into whatever job they want or you can use your asvab to dictate where you want to go.

- what the recruiter will do is have you take the asvab, once you recieve your scores you may or may not even sit down with that same recruiter to choose your job. those asvab scores will show you your strong and weak points, as well as show you what you can and cannot chose as a job.

.....so if you score high in electronics you can select 3-4 jobs related to electronics and tell him you're not signing up unless i'm guaranteed one of these spots........its all up to you. you dont have to do anything.

- the thing is the recruiters will try to get you shipped off as fast as possible and/or tell you anything to get you a confirmed date asap because they think if you have time to bs around before you go, something will happen and you wont be able to go.

- i was on delayed enlistment for a year. but it was worth it in the long run.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

jigsaw...so what are the most difficult programs? and when people fail what happens? they are sent home? or do they get to do additional training to retest? what about basic training what happens when you cant pass your pft? sorry for all the questions...just inquiring...

- a few general rules are:

the longer the tech school -> the more it pays on the outside

the longer the tech school -> the more difficult the school

....when people fail? most often you are then placed in positions that 'need people' (aka the jobs nobody usually want)............security forces (police), fuels, munitions, etc.  However sometimes i have seen people luck out and get a good job that came open. and i have seen a few that failed and had a bad attitude about it so they got sent home...but thats rare.

- as far a difficult programs, only speaking on academics, the 2 i know of for sure are PMEL (electronic calibration) and Air Traffic Controllers. both of those tech schools are around 1 year long, take high asvab scores to get into, and pay very well on the outside. try and talk to other Air Force members besides a recruiter because you can find some really good positions within the military, all you nees is the proper code and you can look it up for yourself.

- here is a website that help military people convert their jobs to the real world. maybe you can use it in reverse to find what job you might be looking for: http://www.todaysmilitary.com/careers/career-fields

- i met a girl at my tech school that signed up to be a physical therapist. her tech school was 2 years and since the school was so long they were made permanent party. what that means is while they were in school, instead of having to put of with the usual bs while you're in school (marching to and from school, dorm room inspections, etc.), they were like regular Air Force members but just had to goto school everyday instead of work. they only drawback was they had to sign up for no less than 6 years to do it.

^ its jobs like that, that you have NO IDEA until you talk to the right person. had i known about that i may have done it instead of PMEL. you have to remember PEOPLE ARE LAZY and usually just go with the flow. so when you ask questions about the military they're mostly going to give you lazy answers. there are a gang of jobs in the military that are challenging, cool, and pay well on the outside IF you find out about them by talking to the right person. 

- you'll pass your pft. you gotta be a real lazy bumb to not pass that.......especially with it being the Air Force.

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

When i see my recruiter can i tell him the 3-4 jobs that i wanna do and say i'm not signing up unless i'm guaranteed one of these spots. Don't know how picky i can be when it comes to that. i know it comes down to my ASVAB score on whether or not i can land that certain position but if my scores are good i want to make sure i go in with the position i pick.

- can you? sure. yall have to understand they need you more than you need them. the ball is in your court. you can go in there and let them place you into whatever job they want or you can use your asvab to dictate where you want to go.

- what the recruiter will do is have you take the asvab, once you recieve your scores you may or may not even sit down with that same recruiter to choose your job. those asvab scores will show you your strong and weak points, as well as show you what you can and cannot chose as a job.

.....so if you score high in electronics you can select 3-4 jobs related to electronics and tell him you're not signing up unless i'm guaranteed one of these spots........its all up to you. you dont have to do anything.

- the thing is the recruiters will try to get you shipped off as fast as possible and/or tell you anything to get you a confirmed date asap because they think if you have time to bs around before you go, something will happen and you wont be able to go.

- i was on delayed enlistment for a year. but it was worth it in the long run.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

- a few general rules are:

the longer the tech school -> the more it pays on the outside

the longer the tech school -> the more difficult the school

....when people fail? most often you are then placed in positions that 'need people' (aka the jobs nobody usually want)............security forces (police), fuels, munitions, etc.  However sometimes i have seen people luck out and get a good job that came open. and i have seen a few that failed and had a bad attitude about it so they got sent home...but thats rare.

- as far a difficult programs, only speaking on academics, the 2 i know of for sure are PMEL (electronic calibration) and Air Traffic Controllers. both of those tech schools are around 1 year long, take high asvab scores to get into, and pay very well on the outside. try and talk to other Air Force members besides a recruiter because you can find some really good positions within the military, all you nees is the proper code and you can look it up for yourself.

- here is a website that help military people convert their jobs to the real world. maybe you can use it in reverse to find what job you might be looking for: http://www.todaysmilitary.com/careers/career-fields

- i met a girl at my tech school that signed up to be a physical therapist. her tech school was 2 years and since the school was so long they were made permanent party. what that means is while they were in school, instead of having to put of with the usual bs while you're in school (marching to and from school, dorm room inspections, etc.), they were like regular Air Force members but just had to goto school everyday instead of work. they only drawback was they had to sign up for no less than 6 years to do it.

^ its jobs like that, that you have NO IDEA until you talk to the right person. had i known about that i may have done it instead of PMEL. you have to remember PEOPLE ARE LAZY and usually just go with the flow. so when you ask questions about the military they're mostly going to give you lazy answers. there are a gang of jobs in the military that are challenging, cool, and pay well on the outside IF you find out about them by talking to the right person. 

- you'll pass your pft. you gotta be a real lazy bumb to not pass that.......especially with it being the Air Force.

If they brought back the Warrant Officer program, I'd join no problem. Father was enlisted for over 30 yrs (have had the chance to live in Japan, Germany, Spain, Korea, etc.) & retired an E-9 with a signed letter from Obama and bronze star medal for his deployments in Iraq/Afghanistan. Not trying to do enlisted, it would be like trying to play in the NBA as Jordan's son.

If they brought back the Warrant Officer program, I'd join no problem. Father was enlisted for over 30 yrs (have had the chance to live in Japan, Germany, Spain, Korea, etc.) & retired an E-9 with a signed letter from Obama and bronze star medal for his deployments in Iraq/Afghanistan. Not trying to do enlisted, it would be like trying to play in the NBA as Jordan's son.

I read through the whole thread and this is the first time NT has made a major impact on my life. I am not positive but definite I am going to join the Air Force. I'm planning to go this Wednesday, is there any advice on what I should say to the recruiter or what to ask for? Is there a way to get ahead of the waiting list or to get the specific job I want?

Edit: which career is most rewarding? Easiest? Relaxed? maybe a career thats all in between? Thanks NT

I read through the whole thread and this is the first time NT has made a major impact on my life. I am not positive but definite I am going to join the Air Force. I'm planning to go this Wednesday, is there any advice on what I should say to the recruiter or what to ask for? Is there a way to get ahead of the waiting list or to get the specific job I want?

Edit: which career is most rewarding? Easiest? Relaxed? maybe a career thats all in between? Thanks NT

Originally Posted by IluvJordanXI

Same here, joining is always something i've wanted to do and recently decided i'm gonna go through with it. I have an appointment with a recruiter this Thursday, might take the ASVAB practice test and ask him all the questions i have.

Same here, joining is always something i've wanted to do and recently decided i'm gonna go through with it. I have an appointment with a recruiter this Thursday, might take the ASVAB practice test and ask him all the questions i have.

You have to make an appointment? All I did was search up the air force website and they just showed me the nearest recruiter. Just gonna drop by tomorrow...

You have to make an appointment? All I did was search up the air force website and they just showed me the nearest recruiter. Just gonna drop by tomorrow...

I dont think you have to but what if they are busy and taking care of someone else? 
I actually put up my info on AF website. 
laugh.gif
 They contacted me after a week. 

I dont think you have to but what if they are busy and taking care of someone else? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

laugh.gif
good point but it doesn't hurt to drop by and check things out. What are most of you guys considering for an career if you don't mind me asking.

laugh.gif
good point but it doesn't hurt to drop by and check things out. What are most of you guys considering for an career if you don't mind me asking.

laugh.gif
Thats what i did, i put my info in and got a call today. I asked when i can come in and he scheduled me for this Thursday. I didn't want to just walk in in case they were busy with someone else and it ends up being a waste of my time. The price of gas now i'm not about to waste it if it did come to that
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Thats what i did, i put my info in and got a call today. I asked when i can come in and he scheduled me for this Thursday. I didn't want to just walk in in case they were busy with someone else and it ends up being a waste of my time. The price of gas now i'm not about to waste it if it did come to that
laugh.gif

Anyone in here know of any ATC's in the AF?

IF so, could you shed any light on how rigorous they said the tech school was and any other info?

Thanks.

Anyone in here know of any ATC's in the AF?

IF so, could you shed any light on how rigorous they said the tech school was and any other info?

Thanks.

Experienced chair force of NT? Im torn between a 4 year of 6 year enlistment. Help/Advice?

I know all the benefits of doing each but I need to know from your experience which is actually a better decision.

Experienced chair force of NT? Im torn between a 4 year of 6 year enlistment. Help/Advice?

I know all the benefits of doing each but I need to know from your experience which is actually a better decision.

if u are sure u want to try and cross train and are not sure if you want to pursue it as a career.. 4 years

if u want to make it a career and don't mind your job.. 6 years..

also keep in mind 6-12 months of your contract you'll be in training

if u are sure u want to try and cross train and are not sure if you want to pursue it as a career.. 4 years

if u want to make it a career and don't mind your job.. 6 years..

also keep in mind 6-12 months of your contract you'll be in training

those asking about failing.. if u fail a block test you get mandatory study time and must re-test.. if you fail twice you talk to the board.. and get "washed back" into a class thats behind.. if you fail a third time u talk to the big dawgs and they'll evaluate to see if you are worthy of a re-class (which is a lil less likely unless u fail from a high washback type school) or you may just get a walk to the front gate and a discharge.

its not that hard.. just got to make school ur #1 priority

those asking about failing.. if u fail a block test you get mandatory study time and must re-test.. if you fail twice you talk to the board.. and get "washed back" into a class thats behind.. if you fail a third time u talk to the big dawgs and they'll evaluate to see if you are worthy of a re-class (which is a lil less likely unless u fail from a high washback type school) or you may just get a walk to the front gate and a discharge.

its not that hard.. just got to make school ur #1 priority

Back
Top Bottom