Any NTers in the Air Force, or intend on going?

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

So I finally booked a job. Munitions Systems 2W031, ship date on August 2.

So relieved this whole process is over. But I still gotta wait 5 months, gonna be spendin my 20th birthday in basic training lol.

- it has always boggled my mind how people willingly go into the military and choose positions like these. like, what are you supposed to do with that career after you get out?

So relieved this whole process is over. But I still gotta wait 5 months, gonna be spendin my 20th birthday in basic training lol.

- it has always boggled my mind how people willingly go into the military and choose positions like these. like, what are you supposed to do with that career after you get out?

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

it wasnt my number 1 choice but the job counselors suggested it if i wanted a quicker ship date since they needed more people in the field and thats my main goal to GET IN the AF first......i can always crosstrain plus with the GI bill imma be ballinnnn
tongue.gif

it wasnt my number 1 choice but the job counselors suggested it if i wanted a quicker ship date since they needed more people in the field and thats my main goal to GET IN the AF first......i can always crosstrain plus with the GI bill imma be ballinnnn
tongue.gif

Back when i first wanted to join i wanted to do something like that but have now realized that i would want something i can take into my civilian life and turn into a career. Why i'm mainly focusing on computer related jobs when i enlist. I'd rather wait until the position i want opens up instead of joining asap, no rush for me.

Back when i first wanted to join i wanted to do something like that but have now realized that i would want something i can take into my civilian life and turn into a career. Why i'm mainly focusing on computer related jobs when i enlist. I'd rather wait until the position i want opens up instead of joining asap, no rush for me.

Originally Posted by x1xJIGSAWx1x

^^ Probably going to go to school....

-but thats just it......the military is a CAREER. too many kids come in not treating it that way. you are supposed to choose your career path and let the Air Force train you.

- if you come into the military with the mind to do something "fun" then goto school later you may as well work at any ole dead end job everyday until you're ready to goto work foreal. and that job that looks oh so fun in the military after a year will start to look alot like work.

furthermore, even if you dont know what you want to do with you career yet. choose a job that makes a descent amount of money on the outside so you can find work to add to the money you'll already be getting for school.  

- im still confused as to how this isnt common sense. you got cats with the asvab scores to be whatever they choose to be in the military, and they're choosing jobs like munitions (AMMO!), fuels, tank mechanic, etc.  they get out the military in 4, 6, 10 years and where are you going to find work? LOL! SMH

add to that you're now 4, 6, or 10 years behind playing catchup.........

tongue.gif

- recruiters are used car salesman and you're falling for it. those crap jobs ALWAYS need people and they have quotas to fill. crosstrain my !!%........you might, you might not, one thing for sure it isnt worth losing that bet and having to put up with a career field you hate and doesnt make any money on the outside.  recruiters LOVE dudes like you LOL!

- ballin huh? bruh, my career field is PMEL right now you earn around 50k depending on where you live. a PMEL tech can walk right out the military into one of these jobs attend school fulltime and get his GI Bill too........OR an AMMO troop can get out and go straight back to mom and dads working at BestBuy plus getting his GI Bill. do the math.
^ and im not exaggerating. i personally know guys that when we got out i went and got my $20+/hour job and they went back to moms.

waiting on the job you chose based off your education and finacial needs long term>>>>>>>>>>>>picking any ole job just to goto the military as fast as possible.    

^^ Probably going to go to school....

-but thats just it......the military is a CAREER. too many kids come in not treating it that way. you are supposed to choose your career path and let the Air Force train you.

- if you come into the military with the mind to do something "fun" then goto school later you may as well work at any ole dead end job everyday until you're ready to goto work foreal. and that job that looks oh so fun in the military after a year will start to look alot like work.

furthermore, even if you dont know what you want to do with you career yet. choose a job that makes a descent amount of money on the outside so you can find work to add to the money you'll already be getting for school.  

- im still confused as to how this isnt common sense. you got cats with the asvab scores to be whatever they choose to be in the military, and they're choosing jobs like munitions (AMMO!), fuels, tank mechanic, etc.  they get out the military in 4, 6, 10 years and where are you going to find work? LOL! SMH

add to that you're now 4, 6, or 10 years behind playing catchup.........

tongue.gif

- recruiters are used car salesman and you're falling for it. those crap jobs ALWAYS need people and they have quotas to fill. crosstrain my !!%........you might, you might not, one thing for sure it isnt worth losing that bet and having to put up with a career field you hate and doesnt make any money on the outside.  recruiters LOVE dudes like you LOL!

- ballin huh? bruh, my career field is PMEL right now you earn around 50k depending on where you live. a PMEL tech can walk right out the military into one of these jobs attend school fulltime and get his GI Bill too........OR an AMMO troop can get out and go straight back to mom and dads working at BestBuy plus getting his GI Bill. do the math.
^ and im not exaggerating. i personally know guys that when we got out i went and got my $20+/hour job and they went back to moms.

waiting on the job you chose based off your education and finacial needs long term>>>>>>>>>>>>picking any ole job just to goto the military as fast as possible.    

seasoned vet wrote:

blacktopking319 wrote:

Unfortunately because of my situation I don't have time to wait.You never know, I might make the AF a career I've always longed to be a CCT but I can't swim. Plus I know a tech sergeant who finished his bachelors during his 4 years in the AF, it's not impossible bro.

tongue.gif

-I dont have the luxury to wait because of my situation.
-Actually my number #1 and #2 job I picked were ISR operator and sensor operator. I doubt there are any civilian job counterparts to those.
-You ever consider I might make a career out of the AF? Im training to be in the best shape of my life and also learn how to swim so that one day I will earn the right to wear the scarlet beret.

-I know a tech sergeant who finished his bachelors degree during his 4 years in the Air Force. He was a loadmaster.

seasoned vet wrote:

blacktopking319 wrote:

Unfortunately because of my situation I don't have time to wait.You never know, I might make the AF a career I've always longed to be a CCT but I can't swim. Plus I know a tech sergeant who finished his bachelors during his 4 years in the AF, it's not impossible bro.

tongue.gif

-Actually my number #1 and #2 job I picked were ISR operator and sensor operator. I doubt there are any civilian job counterparts to those.
-You ever consider I might make a career out of the AF? Im training to be in the best shape of my life and also learn how to swim so that one day I will earn the right to wear the scarlet beret.

-I know a tech sergeant who finished his bachelors degree during his 4 years in the Air Force. He was a loadmaster.

Hey guys is it difficult for me to get a part time job or get hired period because they know i will be leaving for the AF. Should I not even tell them at all and then just quit when Im about to leave?

Hey guys is it difficult for me to get a part time job or get hired period because they know i will be leaving for the AF. Should I not even tell them at all and then just quit when Im about to leave?

Sure..

Sure..

Sure..
??????

Sure..
??????

blacktopking319 wrote:

tongue.gif

- considered it? absolutely i just didnt think i would have to expand on this in such great detail so i left it out. look, whether you do 4 years or 30 you're going to have to get out and get a civilian job eventually.

- what im teling you ive personally witnessed. ive seen too many 40 and 50 something year old load masters/ammo troops/etc. fresh out of the military on unemployment or doing bs odd jobs just to bring money in because they didnt take the time to get a degree in something else while they were in.

- your plan looks great on paper, but the are a million different variables you have no idea about until you get in, those variables the recruiter isnt telling you about.

crosstraining? getting a degree while in? these options are available.......IF your shop allows it, IF your commander allows it, IF you squadron or shop isnt so busy that they cant allow it, IF you dont procrastinate, plus a million others.

- thing is the career you pick initially is a sure shot education that stays with you FOR LIFE with no variables. everything after tech school when you get to your duty station depend on some many other outside influences you dont know whwt will and wont happen.    

blacktopking319 wrote:

tongue.gif

- considered it? absolutely i just didnt think i would have to expand on this in such great detail so i left it out. look, whether you do 4 years or 30 you're going to have to get out and get a civilian job eventually.

- what im teling you ive personally witnessed. ive seen too many 40 and 50 something year old load masters/ammo troops/etc. fresh out of the military on unemployment or doing bs odd jobs just to bring money in because they didnt take the time to get a degree in something else while they were in.

- your plan looks great on paper, but the are a million different variables you have no idea about until you get in, those variables the recruiter isnt telling you about.

crosstraining? getting a degree while in? these options are available.......IF your shop allows it, IF your commander allows it, IF you squadron or shop isnt so busy that they cant allow it, IF you dont procrastinate, plus a million others.

- thing is the career you pick initially is a sure shot education that stays with you FOR LIFE with no variables. everything after tech school when you get to your duty station depend on some many other outside influences you dont know whwt will and wont happen.    

When i see my recruiter can i tell him the 3-4 jobs that i wanna do and say i'm not signing up unless i'm guaranteed one of these spots. Don't know how picky i can be when it comes to that. i know it comes down to my ASVAB score on whether or not i can land that certain position but if my scores are good i want to make sure i go in with the position i pick.

When i see my recruiter can i tell him the 3-4 jobs that i wanna do and say i'm not signing up unless i'm guaranteed one of these spots. Don't know how picky i can be when it comes to that. i know it comes down to my ASVAB score on whether or not i can land that certain position but if my scores are good i want to make sure i go in with the position i pick.

jigsaw...so what are the most difficult programs? and when people fail what happens? they are sent home? or do they get to do additional training to retest? what about basic training what happens when you cant pass your pft? sorry for all the questions...just inquiring...

Back
Top Bottom