Any NTers with a history of anxiety and/or depression? vol. struggling

Haven't read any responses but smoking both weed and cigarettes helped me calm my nerves. It's just tricky with stogies because it's near impossible to quit for me right now.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

Originally Posted by scshift

If any of you guys want to send me a PM, I'm down to listen and talk about anything, doesn't even have to be related to anxiety or depression. Just talk about how boring school is, or cute girls or whatever.

I know a lot of people like to talk and vent when they're stressed, so I'm more than glad to lend an ear.
How nice!!!

Spoiler [+]

Oh hey... you
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Raphy Vengeance

Off topic but are you on clublexus?

Nah man. Is there someone there who talks like me? I need to see this guy.

^Haha not that I'm aware.  I haven't been on that forum in a while, but your SN looks similar to someone that's on there.

I think we all go through depression/anxiety at one point or another. Like someome above mentioned its different levels of deperession/anxiety for everyone. I went through depression a while back amd it was the worst experice ever. No matter what i always focused on the negative. I couldnt see positive in anything. I think the worst thing you can do is be alone and not talk to anyone. Keeping things like this to yourself will make it worse. You have to get out and do things. No matter what domt stop living your life. As corny as it sounds i started to pray a lot more and it helped for me. Its different for everyone but me personally i say f it to petty sh*t. Im not going to let things bring me down anymore. Life is good. Apperciate yiur family amd good friends and work hard and do whatever you have to do to make yourself happy.

Good luck to everyone.

Roughly for 4 years (right after I left highschool).. suicidal/gloomy thoughts all day.. somehow marijuana came into life, with that.. started asking questions
laugh.gif
, a lot of meditating, prayer and research.. and the rest is history. 

pimp.gif

I suffer from OCD. It got to the point when I was college where I didn't get out of my bed for about 2 months. I couldn't function. My thoughts come from me being terrified of dying & I have to do things a certain amount of times. If I don't I get anxiety & start having panic attacks. If something hurts I start having anxiety.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Roughly for 4 years (right after I left highschool).. suicidal/gloomy thoughts all day.. somehow marijuana came into life, with that.. started asking questions
laugh.gif
, a lot of meditating, prayer and research.. and the rest is history. 

pimp.gif
I had a few childhood friends that were only fun to be around if they were high. I'm talking Jekyll and Hyde, they were like two different people sober and then high. I always clowned them behind their backs but now realize that some people just need it to function once they get started on it. If it works for someone, I really can't knock it. Personally, I don't think it's for me. I'm thinking part of the issue was that I was smoking the wrong stuff and always having paranoid episodes.

Weed does effect everyone differently. I have a lot of friends who use it habitually and never say they have problems with it. I was going HAM on it for the last half year and eventually started to see anxiety and depression kick in. Getting better though.

My advice:

-If you smoke weed, give it a break for a month or so and see how you feel
-Stop fappin (seriously, some studies that show masturbating too often drains your body's testosterone and brain's dopamine. This is gonna be very hard, but keep trying to cut down and eventually you will)
-Pray/meditate
-Start gradually working out/playing ball, or any other form of exercise you enjoy. Exercising increases endorphins in your brain that make you feel good and relaxed
-Reflect on the blessings you have that many others wish they had (good food, clothes, place to sleep, internet, education, etc)
-Remember the times that you were happy and confident. Try your best to invoke those emotions the same way you used to and your brain will slowly pick up on them
-Dont take others too seriously. No one is better than you (remember we are all equals)

Things will get better man. Just be patient and persistent. Your times of hardships are there to develop you into a stronger person.

Honestly bro, I went through depression and anxiety attacks 2 years ago back when I used to be really fat and felt so down on myself.

The best advice I can give you, is to find something that occupies your time and gets your mind off things. Luckily for me, I found the world of Bodybuilding and my depression and anxiety attacks disappeared.

Originally Posted by MeloManFan

Weed does effect everyone differently. I have a lot of friends who use it habitually and never say they have problems with it. I was going HAM on it for the last half year and eventually started to see anxiety and depression kick in. Getting better though.

My advice:

-If you smoke weed, give it a break for a month or so and see how you feel
-Stop fappin (seriously, some studies that show masturbating too often drains your body's testosterone and brain's dopamine. This is gonna be very hard, but keep trying to cut down and eventually you will)
-Pray/meditate
-Start gradually working out/playing ball, or any other form of exercise you enjoy. Exercising increases endorphins in your brain that make you feel good and relaxed
-Reflect on the blessings you have that many others wish they had (good food, clothes, place to sleep, internet, education, etc)
-Remember the times that you were happy and confident. Try your best to invoke those emotions the same way you used to and your brain will slowly pick up on them
-Dont take others too seriously. No one is better than you (remember we are all equals)

Things will get better man. Just be patient and persistent. Your times of hardships are there to develop you into a stronger person.
This is very solid advice.  I agree with each point.

I know I've felt depressed before, I still feel it at times, but never to the extent that I've ever had to seek help at all.. so I guess mine has never been too bad. If anything I feel like its seasonal depression, Michigan winters suck. I was really down after losing my girl, but I didn't sulk about it as much as an old me would have. I made it a point to go to the gym at least 5 days a week if not 6, and kinda made it a habit/hobby. Around that time I started
pimp.gif
occasionally, now I do it every day. At first I'd do it to leave the state of mind I was in, but nowadays I feel like I just get too bored if I'm sober and it makes life way more entertaining
roll.gif
I still need to quit though.

Back to the topic though, IDK if I've ever dealt with a serious depression..but to anyone who has, I feel ya and wish you can escape it. The slight bouts of it I have had are terrible enough, and wouldn't wish anyone to deal with that on a regular basis.

glad this thread was mentioned recently definitely will take heed of the advice... already slowed down a great deal on the weed and the no fap february is in effect...any tips for meditating?

I can't believe how so many people feel "embarrassed" about these things. Its terrible that that is the impression that we as society put on people with depression and other mental health issues. This is NOT something to be ashamed about. Mental health issues are a health issue just like the common cold or appendicitis. Its not something you necessarily have control over. Obviously, if you did, the people experiencing would be the first to tell you that they would just "get over it". But sometimes its not that easy. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Develop a support system. Be honest and open with friends and family. Having and surrounding yourself around people who understand and care about you can do wonders for these types of things. Sometimes just having someone on the same page as you can really help take the pressure off of that feeling that your struggling on your own. It sounds like you are on the right path seeing a therapist and taking medication, but this is something that needs to be actively pursued. You need to stay active in keeping yourself both mentally and physically healthy. It can be hard, but when you take care of your mind, body, and spirit, the rest of your life will follow. GL and God bless.

Originally Posted by AlRjordan

I can't believe how so many people feel "embarrassed" about these things. Its terrible that that is the impression that we as society put on people with depression and other mental health issues. This is NOT something to be ashamed about. Mental health issues are a health issue just like the common cold or appendicitis. Its not something you necessarily have control over. Obviously, if you did, the people experiencing would be the first to tell you that they would just "get over it". But sometimes its not that easy. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Develop a support system. Be honest and open with friends and family. Having and surrounding yourself around people who understand and care about you can do wonders for these types of things. Sometimes just having someone on the same page as you can really help take the pressure off of that feeling that your struggling on your own. It sounds like you are on the right path seeing a therapist and taking medication, but this is something that needs to be actively pursued. You need to stay active in keeping yourself both mentally and physically healthy. It can be hard, but when you take care of your mind, body, and spirit, the rest of your life will follow. GL and God bless.
Agreed and thank you for the reply. I think a good chunk of our older generation takes pride in never having had to seek professional help for depression. For instance, I know I have family members that have suffered for a long time but have never really sought help. Instead, they've almost become functioning depressed people. To cope, he/she spends free time sleeping it off while life passes them by. Meanwhile older family members have written them off because they see this person as always "miserable," while in fact they're suffering from a disease and need help. The older generation almost perceives seeking medical help for depression and other sicknesses as a weakness. They think people should be able to handle it on their own or "man up." I used to have somewhat similar beliefs until I experienced it myself and my eyes were opened as to how serious it really is. That's why there is so much stigma attached to diseases like depression. There's a false notion that everyone suffering from depression has the means to rid themselves of depression on their own. I guess there needs to be more awareness surrounding it.

As a male (especially if you're black) it's hard to open up or admit you're depressed, because that's not "manly".  Especially if there isn't one specific, earth-shattering cause as to why you're depressed.  You feel stupid for feeling sad and unmotivated and chalk it up to being lazy or a acting like a vagina.
I'm 99.9% sure I suffer from depression.  But even as I type this I still can't bring myself to talk to a professional about it, the only person I've ever spoken about it to is one of my exes and we don't talk at all anymore 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

As a male (especially if you're black) it's hard to open up or admit you're depressed, because that's not "manly".  Especially if there isn't one specific, earth-shattering cause as to why you're depressed.  You feel stupid for feeling sad and unmotivated and chalk it up to being lazy or a acting like a vagina.
I'm 99.9% sure I suffer from depression.  But even as I type this I still can't bring myself to talk to a professional about it, the only person I've ever spoken about it to is one of my exes and we don't talk at all anymore 
ohwell.gif
The only people I've really told are my parents, sister and one of my best friends. I've also hinted at it to other friends to see what type of response I get. It's actually a big step for me as I've always been a shut in. But it's at the point where I NEED the support of those close to me. I'm not even ashamed anymore because I'm that desperate. Yeah I feel like a p%^&. Yeah I know there are people way worse off. But it doesn't even matter because I truly believe it's a disease, and our own situations are unrelated to other issues in the world, as crappy as that sounds. It sounds selfish but when you have that black cloud over your head the only thing that matters is getting better.

Sorry to dig up this old thread. I'm currently trying to ween off of the SSRI I'd been taking since 2007 while switching to a different once. Last month I was also prescribed Clonazepam for my social anxiety symptoms, which my shrink told me can be addicting. Trying to only take it when I really need it, not daily.

Doing a lot of reading and seeing there's a lot of stigma attached to these meds. People referring to them as "poison" and saying there are long term effects and this and that.

I wonder if taking a multi vitamin or some supplements would reap benefits?

I get anxious before i leave my crib because I get nervous about having to drop a deuce while im on the train or sumtin dead srs

i've experienced the heartache of a long-term breakup or two, felt nervous about my future plenty of times... but just this year have begun to battle with some moderate depression and anxiety that runs with the males in my family-- It's one thing to be in a funk... your girl breaks up with you-- y'all get back together.. you good.  You're unemployed.... find a job-- you start feelin' better... serious straight up depression is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, though.  there's no rhyme, reason, or immediate and permanent fix for it.  sleep all day or not at all, your mind is locked in to every little thought-- the smallest noises rattle you... you literally feel a physical burden on your body-- sometimes in your stomach... and you get that feeling like you don't want to exist in this space and with this feeling anymore.... I'm determined to beat it on my own--or at least learn to cope without anti-depressants... just means learning to plow through the bad days and hoping they don't last too long. 

and for those with friends/family dealing with depression, the best thing you can do is listen.  "man up" "it gets better" and stuff like that isn't always a good look.... just listen.

My advice (informed by years of working in the field), is to get a psychiatric evaluation from another psychiatrist, Lexaprohas such a limited range of effects when treating anxiety and depression. Wellbutrin and Zoloft are very good, especially when paired with something like Abilify or Seroquel XR. You could also consider a low dose of Xanax a few hours before bed for sleep. It's also highly recommended to have counseling with the medications. Also, you should get at least 30-60 minutes of exercise a day. It helps with serotonin and dopamine regulation and production.

Originally Posted by rojanjon

My advice (informed by years of working in the field), is to get a psychiatric evaluation from another psychiatrist, Lexaprohas such a limited range of effects when treating anxiety and depression. Wellbutrin and Zoloft are very good, especially when paired with something like Abilify or Seroquel XR. You could also consider a low dose of Xanax a few hours before bed for sleep. It's also highly recommended to have counseling with the medications. Also, you should get at least 30-60 minutes of exercise a day. It helps with serotonin and dopamine regulation and production.

SEEK COUNSELING!!!  That's the most obvious step.  Forget about the social stigma.  IT'S DISCRETE ANYWAYS.
As for the drugs as mentioned above, it should only be an option for more serious cases obviously.

Just go seek counseling.  If it doesn't feel right, try a different counselor.  If you have insurance that covers it, take advantage of it.  If not, there are still enough options out there to receive counseling at a fair rate or sometimes even free.  There are non-profits and clinics out there.  If you're a student, go to the counseling center.  It's free...

Back
Top Bottom