Any sports management majors on NT?

Thinking about majoring in sports management.  Anybody currently studying it or get a degree in it?  Any advice? tips?

Not tryna be funny but what's the point of a Sports Management major? What can you do with it?

sports management as a major?

im just a management major.

what kind of classes do they offer?

Some core courses:

• Introduction to Sport Management
• Introduction to Research in Sport Management
• History and Philosophy of Sport
• Sport and Event Promotion
• Sport and Event Management
• Sport and Public Assembly Facilities
• Legal Aspects of Sport and Recreation
• Sport and Gender or Sociology of Sport
• Sport Psychology or Exercise Psychology
• Visual Communications Technology
• Principles of Marketing
• Business Communication
• Principles of Organization and Management
• Business Finance
• Accounting Concepts
• Practicum
• Internship

I guess it's like a business degree with a focus in sports. Depending on the minor you get with you could land a job working in the front office for a team or maybe be a scout? It all depends on internships and who you connect with and find open positions. Atleast that's what i've gathered.

*Edit, ohhh you want tips..

I'm at The University of Tennessee- Knoxville and I plan to get some big things going over here. BTW we autocatically get a business minor
Now they have a new option this year where you can

Use the old catalog and get a BSE in Sport Management with no concentration or get a BSE in Rec & Leisure Studies w/ a concentration in therapeutic recreation/recreation administration

Use the new catalog and graduate with a BSE In Rec Sport Management with a concentration in Sport Management or Therapeutic Recreation

Basically to succeed in this field you should go to a school with a BIG name athletic department that generates alot of money.  At these schools they have plugs ALL over because of the athletes they have put out.  IT ALL COMES DOWN TO CONNECTIONS.  But there are tons of cool things you can do because this major is very "hands on" meaning you will get your degree basically on what you do (practicums,etc).  You have to really want to do this because while college will give you fun times and opportunities, once you get a real job you will have to love doing this to keep your head above water and live up to demands.  

With that said I am very happy to be at The University of Tennessee- Knox, there are opportunities EVERYWHERE here and I think with hard work and some luck I could end up doing a job I will love
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

My roommate graduated with a degree in sports management and is now in law school. Just interviewed for an internship with the Red Sox.

It's all about who you know in this field. Connections are everything.

Originally Posted by KingJames23

My roommate graduated with a degree in sports management and is now in law school. Just interviewed for an internship with the Red Sox.

It's all about who you know in this field. Connections are everything.
This. Also in the beginning be prepared to work extremely hard and make little money. It gets much better later though.

(Side note: Be prepared for people to question your major ALL THE TIME.)

Oh and GEN ED/ MINOR CLASSES MIGHT BE THE HARDEST THING FOR YOU TO HURDLE, THATS WHERE ALOT OF CATS GET CAUGHT UP WHEN THEY THINK RSM IS GONNA BE A CAKEWALK.

yea im majoring in it right now, and the best thing u can do is try to get to every conference for it u can and meet as many people as you can

Definitley appreciate the info so far. For the dude that said you should go to a school with big name athletics, are there some exceptions to that rule? Because besides those schools if you google the best ones some come up like UMASS, Bowling Green, and Ohio University. If you're not going to a big time athletic school do you think one of these is ok? Bowling Green has the largest program out of all the colleges if that means anything.

I'm a Sports Business major. I finally settled on this over first majoring in Business and then Journalism.
laugh.gif

So far the major classes I've taken are Sports Law, Sports Marketing, Sports promotion tools, and Sports PR. I think Sports Public Relations is the most interesting.
You must be prepared to work crazy hours 365 days a year.

that was my major when i entered school but needless to say i switched out of it & graduated w/ sumthin totally different

Originally Posted by RareAirBreeds23

Definitley appreciate the info so far. For the dude that said you should go to a school with big name athletics, are there some exceptions to that rule? Because besides those schools if you google the best ones some come up like UMASS, Bowling Green, and Ohio University. If you're not going to a big time athletic school do you think one of these is ok? Bowling Green has the largest program out of all the colleges if that means anything.

I'm wondering this too. My homeboy doing his masters in sports management at Jacksonville State University but it is only an online program. I think it would be more beneficial if he would actually go to the classes so he can get to meet people and be able to network. 

OP I'm looking at the core courses you listed and to me it looks like a heavily watered down business degree.

I'd imagine that what firered18 said about going to a school with a big time sports program, since like it anything else it's all about connections, could be crucial.

Originally Posted by raptors29

Not tryna be funny but what's the point of a Sports Management major? What can you do with it?

When I couldn't find an answer for this, I switched to PR.
Then I figured out it would take me a while to make any real money as a sports management major.

Then I was happy I switched to PR

doesn't every field require connection to become successful? Even medical and engineering field.
For example, nursing jobs are scarce and you need someone in the higher up (HR, doctors, etc.) to get you in and it is still very competitive
So when people say you need connections for sports management major, it's not really an advice, but more of a given.
To be honest, I think sports management major is a BS major that gives many students hopeless dreams and there are PLENTY of BS majors out there.
Just because you majored in sports management doesn't mean you're gonna manage sports players or work in the front office of a sport team lol. It's an undergrad program and you should focus on the long run. For example, you do well in undergrad majoring in sports management and maybe apply for top tier grad school (business, law, marketing, finance/economics)
I'm not gonna lie...I majored in a useless major that I really cant do anything with...I basically just have a bachelors degree and I wont be able to do something that I want. So I am currently taking classes to get into a nursing program and then get my masters in nursing and become an NP.
I feel really bad for few of my friends who are still in undergrad and they are in programs like Rad Tech or Nuclear medicine tech and they believe that they will get a good job with lots of money. But, in reality, the job market for rad tech and NMT are literally little to none. However, a few other people knows this and they are just in this program to put on their application when they apply to physician assistant program or physical therapy schools.
Sorry for the long read, but I am just giving you a straight and honest opinion and advice (if you want to see it that way) so you can avoid what I and thousands of other new grads are going through.
Oh yea, do your best in school and good luck man

to be 100 bout it this major is strictly about who ya know not what you know depending on the school you attend and your networking skills we decide how well you do in it....there only a grad program for it at The University of Alabama but because of who i know itd be nothing for me to get into the sports management field without even entering the grad program

I appreciate all the advice and the honesty in the thread. Yeah honestly I know it's a long shot to get a front office job or even get a crappy lowest of the low gig with a pro team considering the positions are so limited. But I'm thinking if I stay applying for internships and land a couple summer ones during college and my the one that I'll do for college credit if I work hard that I'll hopefully get hired by one of these teams. Do you think that's just wishful thinking of possible?

I appreciate all the advice and the honesty in the thread. Yeah honestly I know it's a long shot to get a front office job or even get a crappy lowest of the low gig with a pro team considering the positions are so limited. But I'm thinking if I stay applying for internships and land a couple summer ones during college and my the one that I'll do for college credit if I work hard that I'll hopefully get hired by one of these teams. Do you think that's just wishful thinking of possible?

I wasn't a Sports Management major, but ended up in the field anyway.  Network your !%# off, it is key.  It's who you know, but you also have to know what you are doing.

It can be a stressful environment, check that, it will be a stressful environment.  It is very fast paced depending on what sport you end up getting into.  A lot of people find their way into the field only to get burned out.  It is deadline and result driven.

If you go to a major university with a decent athletic dept, try to work for the department, either as a Student Manager (Equipment) or in operations.  It is something that is valued on a resume when you are trying to get that entry level job with thousand's of applicants.  Easiest way in is through sales, it will get your foot in the door, but that foot will kick your !%# out just as fast if you don't produce (
laugh.gif
).

I didn't go to a major university, I met some folks that got me a job in USC's athletic dept even though I wasn't a student there for undergrad.  It's where I got some experience and managed to land internships with the Avengers (Media/PR) and the Clippers (Media Relations) which eventually led to my first paying job in sports (Dodgers/Stadium Operations).  I left the industry on a full time basis due to the lack of growth at the moment and to pursue my grad studies back at square one (USC).  It is demanding, and still work there part time to get my sports industry fix and keep the door open  (Part time game day personnel is another good way to get in.)  I have no doubts about returning when the time is right, I left with my head high and didn't burn any bridges (the asked if I wanted to stay part time, couldn't pass up the perks).

I have a friend who works at Quicken Loans Arena as an account executive for the Cavaliers. He always hooks me up with tickets. He majored in Sports management at OU.
@Cpoches if anyone is interested

I started out as a sports management major but am switching to business instead.  Networking is what my teacher stressed over and over though.

When yall say network this term is used alot. Basically it means meet everyone and anyone you can in the field that could potentially help you get a job right?

Back
Top Bottom