Anybody have any experiences background checks/security clearances/references?

To make a long story short:  I used to work for the Defense Logistics Agency and I had a secret clearance.  I had issues with this one supervisor in my section after she gave me heat for wanting to take off for my girlfriend's son having a seizure.  There was also a minority/racial rift in that workplace that was not worth working for and I was attempting to switch at the time.  I then encountered personal legal troubles as well that resulted picking up numerous charges, but ultimately ending up with 3 misdemeanors.  Needless to say I stopped working for DLA and all of this occurred in the same week span of last May 2010.

I have had two great positions/opportunities to get back in this field...one with the Library of Congress and another with CACI.  I had just got the word that the Library of Congress was about to offer me a position and I filled out the standard Government OF-306 stating my background and such.  The Physical Security Office at their facility sent a letter giving me the opportunity to further explain my situation.  I did and after about a month of deliberating, they decided to pass.  That same day I found out about this, my girl decided to break it off...in large part in my mind for my career situation currently.

I was supposed to meet with the Government official of CACI this week and just found out this person that the hiring manager spoke to the one supervisor at DLA whom I did not have a great relationship with, and she threw me under the bus. 

I just feel like this background or situation is keeping my from getting back to doing what I do in that career field, making a lot more money, and being with my girl and her son. 

I rarely post situations like this on here, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had some stories/insight/input on coming back from a negative situation or something?

To make a long story short:  I used to work for the Defense Logistics Agency and I had a secret clearance.  I had issues with this one supervisor in my section after she gave me heat for wanting to take off for my girlfriend's son having a seizure.  There was also a minority/racial rift in that workplace that was not worth working for and I was attempting to switch at the time.  I then encountered personal legal troubles as well that resulted picking up numerous charges, but ultimately ending up with 3 misdemeanors.  Needless to say I stopped working for DLA and all of this occurred in the same week span of last May 2010.

I have had two great positions/opportunities to get back in this field...one with the Library of Congress and another with CACI.  I had just got the word that the Library of Congress was about to offer me a position and I filled out the standard Government OF-306 stating my background and such.  The Physical Security Office at their facility sent a letter giving me the opportunity to further explain my situation.  I did and after about a month of deliberating, they decided to pass.  That same day I found out about this, my girl decided to break it off...in large part in my mind for my career situation currently.

I was supposed to meet with the Government official of CACI this week and just found out this person that the hiring manager spoke to the one supervisor at DLA whom I did not have a great relationship with, and she threw me under the bus. 

I just feel like this background or situation is keeping my from getting back to doing what I do in that career field, making a lot more money, and being with my girl and her son. 

I rarely post situations like this on here, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had some stories/insight/input on coming back from a negative situation or something?

Anybody with criminal charges have input on getting past that point in the hiring process?  For federal/contractor employment?

Anybody with criminal charges have input on getting past that point in the hiring process?  For federal/contractor employment?

Under no circumstances should you ever lie about any charges you have on your record.

Under no circumstances should you ever lie about any charges you have on your record.

I disagree with that...you would be suprised a lot of people on my former installation had some sick charges.  Felonies, sexual predators, etc.  You name it.  I think it is more of a matter of who you know, the nature of the situation, and being blessed as well with the opportunity.  

A misdemeanor does not disqualify one from a clearance or a job, but it is mighty tough to find the right situation. Any other input from folks?

I disagree with that...you would be suprised a lot of people on my former installation had some sick charges.  Felonies, sexual predators, etc.  You name it.  I think it is more of a matter of who you know, the nature of the situation, and being blessed as well with the opportunity.  

A misdemeanor does not disqualify one from a clearance or a job, but it is mighty tough to find the right situation. Any other input from folks?

Every time you fill out that 306, it will come up. It is up to each individual hiring manager to sign off on it or not. Maybe try for a position with a lower clearance. Or you can try to talk with a manager directly and explain your situation further.

Every time you fill out that 306, it will come up. It is up to each individual hiring manager to sign off on it or not. Maybe try for a position with a lower clearance. Or you can try to talk with a manager directly and explain your situation further.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Originally Posted by JayHood23

These days...Those charges+trying to work in any gov't agency=not happening
This! 
Sorry fam'... 
frown.gif

I have had two positions go down the drain this past month...but I guess it is just a matter of time.  I have a guy with GSA who is doing the most to get me in the door despite my situation, but damn...my advice to younger folks is simple:  keep that record clean at all costs.

I have had two positions go down the drain this past month...but I guess it is just a matter of time.  I have a guy with GSA who is doing the most to get me in the door despite my situation, but damn...my advice to younger folks is simple:  keep that record clean at all costs.

Finally had a firm offer to start on 8/23 in DC with Pretrial Services Agency.  Did all the paperwork and went today to get the fingerprints done.  This was just a public trust position and still got the clearance denied!

Blown out of this world....I had an interview with FEMA yesterday for a similar position, but this also requires a public trust.  Unless I know the Security Officer it appears as though I am screwed.

Finally had a firm offer to start on 8/23 in DC with Pretrial Services Agency.  Did all the paperwork and went today to get the fingerprints done.  This was just a public trust position and still got the clearance denied!

Blown out of this world....I had an interview with FEMA yesterday for a similar position, but this also requires a public trust.  Unless I know the Security Officer it appears as though I am screwed.

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

i haves criminal charges but ive had the same job since ive gotten them all
pimp.gif

i dont wanna apply for jobs drug charges fml

what u get bumped for?

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

i haves criminal charges but ive had the same job since ive gotten them all
pimp.gif

i dont wanna apply for jobs drug charges fml

what u get bumped for?

There is a previous post on NT somewhere with the whole story...it is honestly too much to recount.  There was a rack of charges, but when it was all said and done...I had to plead guilty to two counts of brandishing.  A misdemeanor, but still the name of the charge is rediculous and doesn't even depict what transpired.

There is a previous post on NT somewhere with the whole story...it is honestly too much to recount.  There was a rack of charges, but when it was all said and done...I had to plead guilty to two counts of brandishing.  A misdemeanor, but still the name of the charge is rediculous and doesn't even depict what transpired.

Having a record these days isnt a joke. Im happy that im in the construction field because every other job option gets thrown out the window

Back
Top Bottom