Anybody with dreadlocks? If so, post pics

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

what does age have to do with it? My mom started at 40 and now hers are down her back I wish I had picks there very nice.

laugh.gif
i think age does play a factor

i don't want to walk around lookin like stevie wonder with my line up starting behind my ears

^I think in between a certain age for men it's seen as immature, like braids, designs cut or any other perceived "urban" hair style. If you are ablack male between like 25 and 35 and trying to establish yourself in a corporate setting, it may be a set back. When in college or around that age, it'snot as much of an issue. Kind of like Tattoos and piercings. You can't tell a 40 yr old a tattoo or piercing is immature it just doesn't make adifference after a certain point imo.

"And the ladies love em. Screw a brushcut/caesar. Let your hair lock n grow!"

co sign
pimp.gif

6ru16x.jpg

started them back in July.. grew it out a year before though..

I forgot men have hairline issues 19 shouldn't be a problem though.
As far as the corporate world I haven't met many people that run into that problem anymore. I've seen more men in the Equifax building with trimmedlocks then men with short hair.

Been growin my hair for like 4 years..and started my dreads a little over 3 years ago they are longer than they look in this pic.
dsc00048xa9.jpg

This is after I first got my hair twisted like 3 years ago.. I started with double strand twists.
mvc006fyk0.jpg

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

^I think in between a certain age for men it's seen as immature, like braids, designs cut or any other perceived "urban" hair style. If you are a black male between like 25 and 35 and trying to establish yourself in a corporate setting, it may be a set back. When in college or around that age, it's not as much of an issue. Kind of like Tattoos and piercings. You can't tell a 40 yr old a tattoo or piercing is immature it just doesn't make a difference after a certain point imo.

so you would suggest growing them, and cutting them around that age, like 25 or so?

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

^I think in between a certain age for men it's seen as immature, like braids, designs cut or any other perceived "urban" hair style. If you are a black male between like 25 and 35 and trying to establish yourself in a corporate setting, it may be a set back. When in college or around that age, it's not as much of an issue. Kind of like Tattoos and piercings. You can't tell a 40 yr old a tattoo or piercing is immature it just doesn't make a difference after a certain point imo.

so you would suggest growing them, and cutting them around that age, like 25 or so?

Not necessarily, it depends on the person, what they are doing as far as work, and what there employers can tolerate. I was just pointing out that age canmatter in these things.

ooh I see what you're saying...I plan on becoming a dentist, and I think they would be pretty lax with the hairstyles..plus I'ma be in school foreverso I'm not too worried about the corporate world just yet..quick question though, those of you who have dreds is their a particular reason you got them orjust wanted to switch it up ...??

me, i was lookin for a change.. had a short cut/waves all my life..
with my hair type braids get frizzy quit so i decided to go the dreadlock route..

how often do yall go to the shop?
i went once every 2 months or so but now i do em myself..
i use this loc & twist cream, forget the name though..
i also heard that using wax will ##%! your dreads up in the long run.

I really want to grow some dreads but i'm thinking it's too late. I'm 22 and I am about to graduate in a year so I don't think I should until Iget a job.
But I want some natty dread locks.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by 18th letter

ooh I see what you're saying...I plan on becoming a dentist, and I think they would be pretty lax with the hairstyles..plus I'ma be in school forever
so I'm not too worried about the corporate world just yet..quick question though, those of you who have dreds is their a particular reason you got them or
just wanted to switch it up ...??

I've always had short hair all through out middle school and high school. I figured i'd regret it if i never grew my hair out, so i did and got itbraided. I couldn't stand braids so I got my hair twisted and I'm really happy i did. I like my dreads much better.

Although, I'm thinking i shoulda started with a two strand twist just because those kind of dreads seem to come out neater in the long run.

But, i've had mine twisted since the middle of September last year and for the most part, my hair is locked. Not fully though and some are more solid thanothers.

i want them but i REFUSE to go through the "ugly stage" i might just wear a fro' or press my hair until its a decent length to lock up...

yea that ugly stage is baaaaaad. frustrating as hell. I wanted to cut my stuff off so much. I play basketball all the time and my hair took forever to lockcause I had to wash it everyday, after like a year I still had some unraveling and would wonder if they would ever lock. Also can get expensive if you cantfind some girl to palm roll/retwist your hair for cheap. I tried doin it myself but my arms cramp up after like 20 minutes, just don't have that selfhairstyling endurance.. I had to go like 3 months without getting re-twisted last year cause I was broke as hell and my stuff was looking nuts. Dreads are somework...

I got mine done a few months ago from my friend it took about 6 hours. I did my brothers it took around 5. We didn't get them for fashion reason though,like how most people get em cause they look dope or whatever.

The Natural Mystic, you think you wont get a job cause of them or something? My brother is fresh out of Uni and got a job, but I never heard someone worriedbout that before, guess cause where I'm from and the city I live...god knows. Also what does age have to do with it? America is a tripppp.

Originally Posted by Icrashdemboardz

Been growin my hair for like 4 years..and started my dreads a little over 3 years ago they are longer than they look in this pic.
dsc00048xa9.jpg

This is after I first got my hair twisted like 3 years ago.. I started with double strand twists.
mvc006fyk0.jpg

lol Elgin haha.

tried to grow dreads about 2 yrs ago, wanted to go natural, no twisting, no product, just soap, water, and some moisturizer. terrible idea. my hair naturallydreads up, so i just let it go to see what would happen. parts were ok, parts were not, and just started clumping up.

207qdyo.jpg

Originally Posted by richiecotite

tried to grow dreads about 2 yrs ago, wanted to go natural, no twisting, no product, just soap, water, and some moisturizer. terrible idea. my hair naturally dreads up, so i just let it go to see what would happen. parts were ok, parts were not, and just started clumping up.

207qdyo.jpg
4fc265213507bdd58cfc20eb976fd494032cb73a.gif

LMAO @ that .gif.

But on-topic, I'm growing my hair out right now fo dreads. Been about 5 months, in the afro stage. It's mad frustrating, I'm impatient.

Back
Top Bottom